[TOTALLY VANILLA] Retail Snow Leopard

MACinized

530 posts in this topic

I finally found a fix!!!! i copied this from another post but it worked for me.

To get 64-bit two things need to be done. 1) Remove the arch=i386 from your Boot.plist file (location varies depending on whether you did it to EFI, System Partition, or External boot medium). 2) Delete Extensions.mkext and build a new one using Kext Utility. Make sure to put this file back where you deleted the old one. Alternatively you can just drop a folder called "Extensions" in your Extra directory with all the kexts from the KEXTs folder.

I just rebuilt using mkext rather then creating a extensions folder

It happen's to be no luck for me :wallbash: with the Snow Leo installation, I have been trying many guides for the last one month or so but no success, & this one turned out to be same. Ok, now I decided to follow this guide as one the members with exactly my specs recommended me as he has installed sl by following this guide without any problems.

Now my problem with this guide is in "1.2 pre-installation" section itself, after restoring the sl.dmg, when i try to run "2_snowleoinstaller" the terminal window is opening & asking to enter sudo password, & after entering password it logsout & says process completed, here are those lines from teminal:

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

logout

[Process completed]

I don't know what's the problem?, if some one can suggest me a solution, it would be grateful.

@ Macinized: I am trying this guide with just a minor change(i suppose), instead of restoring image to a usb stick, I restored to my second internal harddrive(otherthan my leopard harddisk). But I am sure this has nothing to do with the problem I am getting. And also while going through every post of this thread I have read in one post you saying" u will update this guide to be able to use without using 8GB usb pendrive(by restoring the image to hard drive) & make a bootable usb stick that can boot restored sl image, may i know when u do that. Well I also tried that method with installing various boot loaders(chv2rc1,rc2,rc3,pc-efi v10.1, 10.2,10.5) in a usb stickthanks to the blackosx tutorial thread as i found in that thread that we can do this way, but nothing is being able to boot the restored image, I am simply getting kernel panickings, not been able to load restored image at all. :wallbash:

If u can suggest some solution on this, it would be a great help for me.

2) Delete Extensions.mkext and build a new one using Kext Utility. Make sure to put this file back where you deleted the old one. Alternatively you can just drop a folder called "Extensions" in your Extra directory with all the kexts from the KEXTs folder.

nice! i just tried this as well and it fixed my issue with not being able to boot 64bit without having my kexts in the /s/l/e/ folder...

guess there's something not 64bit compatible about the way the macloader is packing the kexts...

ya i really hope the author of this thread and the loader (MACinized) could maybe take a look at this, if it is in fact an issue with the loader itself can it be patched. this is the best method i have found for installing SL.

I havent seen a post from MACinized in a while.

well i just noticed i have lost my onboard sound i was using the VoodooHDA.kext does it work in 64bit ?

any suggestions for an alternative

ya i really hope the author of this thread and the loader (MACinized) could maybe take a look at this, if it is in fact an issue with the loader itself can it be patched. this is the best method i have found for installing SL.

I havent seen a post from MACinized in a while.

I am hoping too that he replies to the post.

@MACinized: I request you to look at my problem(below) & suggest me any solution. Waiting for ur response, please help someone.

It happen's to be no luck for me ^_^ with the Snow Leo installation, I have been trying many guides for the last one month or so but no success, & this one turned out to be same. Ok, now I decided to follow this guide as one the members with exactly my specs recommended me as he has installed sl by following this guide without any problems.

Now my problem with this guide is in "1.2 pre-installation" section itself, after restoring the sl.dmg, when i try to run "2_snowleoinstaller" the terminal window is opening & asking to enter sudo password, & after entering password it logsout & says process completed, here are those lines from teminal:

I don't know what's the problem?, if some one can suggest me a solution, it would be grateful.

@ Macinized: I am trying this guide with just a minor change(i suppose), instead of restoring image to a usb stick, I restored to my second internal harddrive(otherthan my leopard harddisk). But I am sure this has nothing to do with the problem I am getting. And also while going through every post of this thread I have read in one post you saying" u will update this guide to be able to use without using 8GB usb pendrive(by restoring the image to hard drive) & make a bootable usb stick that can boot restored sl image, may i know when u do that. Well I also tried that method with installing various boot loaders(chv2rc1,rc2,rc3,pc-efi v10.1, 10.2,10.5) in a usb stickthanks to the blackosx tutorial thread as i found in that thread that we can do this way, but nothing is being able to boot the restored image, I am simply getting kernel panickings, not been able to load restored image at all. ;)

If u can suggest some solution on this, it would be a great help for me.

Sati

The small little detail for you is a huge problem for the script that was written. It was written to utilse a USB boot. Be it a USB Pendrive of hard disc. Here lies the first error of your installation.

Good luck with the install, if you follow the guide you should have a basic install.

I myself am following boxer82003 with his endeavors with the 64 bit install as I am with the same problems. It takes time and effort by many people to get an install with hrs of reading through various posts for your kexts as each and every hack is different.

My advice is follow the guides to the letter... It usually works. ;)

I've got Snow Leopard working in 64bit mode. There seems to be an odd problem here and there, but it's up and running.

My next big question right now is regarding loading Leopard from another disk. I've got Snow on one drive and Leopard on another. Both are running Chameleon RC3

I can boot Leopard just fine if I make it the first drive in the bios (and so it reads the Leopard EFI/Chameleon data), but if I try to boot into Leopard by selecting it in Chameleon from the Snow drive, it won't boot.

Is it trying to read data from the EFI/Snow Leopard Kext files instead of the Leopard files?

Sati

The small little detail for you is a huge problem for the script that was written. It was written to utilse a USB boot. Be it a USB Pendrive of hard disc. Here lies the first error of your installation.

Good luck with the install, if you follow the guide you should have a basic install.

I myself am following boxer82003 with his endeavors with the 64 bit install as I am with the same problems. It takes time and effort by many people to get an install with hrs of reading through various posts for your kexts as each and every hack is different.

My advice is follow the guides to the letter... It usually works. :D

Scoobie

did you try the method i found in the above post for 64bit it worked for me as well as groundchuck.

if you did did you lose sound after? that has been my only draw back so far.

Scoobie

did you try the method i found in the above post for 64bit it worked for me as well as groundchuck.

if you did did you lose sound after? that has been my only draw back so far.

Hi Boxer. Sorry I've not tried as yet. I still trying to see which of my vst's will load with the 32bit.

Once I have done that I will give it a go. About sound My kexts for sound are different as I,m using the DP35DP so I won't be able to help. Mind I will let you know though.

Thanks for all your hard work on the 64bit installation, Its been great following your work, this kind of developing take time and effort all round, I have lost so many hrs sleep in the past trying to learn how to install leopard. I am still unable to boot chameleon with out the snowinstaller!! Its not a problem for me though. I am wanting to reinstall with the ihack method as you had a change in fortune with it.

Greetz :)

Scoobie

dont give me any credit for the 64 bit really all as i did was a bit of leg work

and found a post elsewhere. and i thought i would try it and it worked thats all.

Thats what I was saying thanks for. At the moment I have 5 different tabs open on different aspects of my mobo for a SL install, and the leg work you are doing on the 64bit, is being pulled back on to the main how to install SL page. That in itself is great. The credits you are giving in your posts tell of the original authors. I tilt my hat in respect.

Thanks again and thanks to all on Insanelymac for you continual effort striving for a better understanding of the Mac OS. I mean six month ago it was all kexts, now we are patching DSDt's as there are less conflicts...

Cheers :rolleyes:

Hi, first I'd like to state that I have very little knowledge of macs. I decided to start programming for the iPhone, therefore need to install it on my system. made a seperate post on these forums but I figured I mine as well post here as well since this it the tutorial I was following. I'm getting an error when it boots up to install it. I managed to get it to boot up via the USB thumb drive, but that's when the error happens

here's my system specs:

Asus P6T Deluxe

Intel Core i7 920

Nvida GTX280

6GB DDR3 Ram

Intel 80GB SSD

Here's a screenshot of the error I get.

post-529516-1258847103_thumb.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated. Just keep in mind that I'm new to Macs so I might not understand some of the terminology.

Thanks

-John

I have an asus p6t6 ws revolution and I am trying to use the same kexts as groundchuck. I can't boot the usb stick though. I get insert bootable media or something like that.

Groundchuck, could you please help me. How do you set this mobo to do an USB boot or is something else wrong

WoW

Just read the whole thing!!! Excellent info!

I am using a Dell E1705 and saw about 3 posts from other users in this thread with the same.

They all seemed happy with your guide.

Im hoping someone can give me a more specific guide to the Dell E1705.

So I dont install the wrong stuff and what not...

Thanks

Richard

dont give me any credit for the 64 bit really all as i did was a bit of leg work

and found a post elsewhere. and i thought i would try it and it worked thats all.

Just curious about hoe the 64bit perform on your system ?, I try it once but the network get sluggish and can't get sound

(ALC883) to work.

Just curious about hoe the 64bit perform on your system ?, I try it once but the network get sluggish and can't get sound

(ALC883) to work.

everything here seems ok the only issue i have due to 64 bit is my sound doesn't work,

and i haven't had a chance to look for a fix yet, sleep will only work if i manually do it by clicking the apple icon and sleep but this was like that in 32 bit as well

everything here seems ok the only issue i have due to 64 bit is my sound doesn't work,

and i haven't had a chance to look for a fix yet, sleep will only work if i manually do it by clicking the apple icon and sleep but this was like that in 32 bit as well

Thanks for your reply, That is what i experience too when i boot into 64bit. By the way, sleep works well in 32bit with sleepenabler kext.

Thanks for your reply, That is what i experience too when i boot into 64bit. By the way, sleep works well in 32bit with sleepenabler kext.

i use it as well i believe thats was the issue with 10.6.2 that we all had to update but still i have to do a manual sleep thats not really a problem for me it more about the audio which i still need to spend some time on

i use it as well i believe thats was the issue with 10.6.2 that we all had to update but still i have to do a manual sleep thats not really a problem for me it more about the audio which i still need to spend some time on

If you ever find a way to get your Audio to work in 64bit please share with us. Thanks in advance.

I finally found a fix!!!! i copied this from another post but it worked for me.

To get 64-bit two things need to be done. 1) Remove the arch=i386 from your Boot.plist file (location varies depending on whether you did it to EFI, System Partition, or External boot medium). 2) Delete Extensions.mkext and build a new one using Kext Utility. Make sure to put this file back where you deleted the old one. Alternatively you can just drop a folder called "Extensions" in your Extra directory with all the kexts from the KEXTs folder.

Thanks for the information. I'm still booting using arch-i386 and I'd like to be able to get the 64bit working.

When you say Boot.plist do you mean com.apple.plist? If so I can't find any mention of arch-i386 in there. I used the EFI partition.

If not I can't find where my Boot.plist file is. I can see it in hte Macloader SL 0.4 under scripts but again it doesn't mention arch=i386. When I use the macloader to update the system I can see it says adding arch=i386 but again I can't find it anywhere.

Where would the /extra/extensions folder and the extensions.mkext be located?

I've got 10.6.2 if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Thanks for the information. I'm still booting using arch-i386 and I'd like to be able to get the 64bit working.

When you say Boot.plist do you mean com.apple.plist? If so I can't find any mention of arch-i386 in there. I used the EFI partition.

If not I can't find where my Boot.plist file is. I can see it in hte Macloader SL 0.4 under scripts but again it doesn't mention arch=i386. When I use the macloader to update the system I can see it says adding arch=i386 but again I can't find it anywhere.

Where would the /extra/extensions folder and the extensions.mkext be located?

I've got 10.6.2 if that makes any difference.

Thanks

It is in the hidden partition, if you know the command you can get to it.

First double clicked on 1_GetDSDT and all I get is:

ACPI contains 7 values

Failed to get DSDT

Could not open input file dsdt.dat

cp: dsdt.dsl: No such file or directory.

This is a 10.5.6 install with everything working, including PCMCIA slot etc.!

:)