[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

iRobie

934 posts in this topic

Let's see, it's hack #3.

No, not a fresh install. Deleting the /Extra folder should make it all but a fresh install as far as the installer is concerned. I can't just wipe my drive and start over, and I don't have a spare drive to do a fresh install to.

I only have the 10.6.0 DVD, so that's what I put on the USB stick.

I did follow the procedure of booting off the USB stick, onto my hard drive, running his installer, and it failed. Some kind of message telling me what failed, so I can fix it, would help a lot here.

Sound has started working now, so that's good.

I've just checked the option in the power management that you suggested. I'll give that a try.

Auto sleep has always come and gone for me, I'm ok with having to do the 3 finger salute (Command-Option-Eject) everytime I want it to sleep. But right now, it reboots instead of wakes from sleep. I'll see if this power option changes that.

Ok, so I guess it all went successfully. Changing that option in the power management "Startup automatically after power failure" solved the sleep problem. So in a roundabout way, I managed to use Ridgeline's installer and get updated to 10.6.4, get my onboard sound working for the first time ever, and thanks to Hawaii's tip, sleep still works as well as ever.

Ridgeline's post-installer has never failed to complete for me. But I've always done fresh installs. If you've had another bootloader installed on the disk, it might be causing the problem. The bootloader puts more files on the disk than just what's in /Extra. Some of the files are invisible. The best way is to do a clean install. For about $50 you can get a big enough drive to do back up both of your hacks so you can do clean installs. That's the easiest way. The alternative is burn a lot of time debugging your specific situation. The time would be well-spent if it helps others, so if you decide to go this route, please tell us what you learned.

h50

Eh, my transition to this new setup is done, as far as I can tell, so for now, I'll just call it good. I've changed bootloaders and such in the past without having to re-install. And yeah, I'm aware that new drives are very cheap, but it's even cheaper to not buy a drive and just migrate my existing install. :) Descriptive error messages are a good thing. :) But thanks for the help, and I'm really happy that I have the onboard sound working finally. :)

I'm using Sil3132 based PCI Express 1x cards on two systems, latest drivers are supposed to be 64-bit compatible but on my systems those drivers with 64-bit kernel break sleep. Using 32-bit kernel everything works nice. Cards have 2 Sata ports on them but if that is not enough then it is possible to connect 5-port multipliers on each port. That way it is possible to add up to 10 Sata drives.

Hello,

thanks for the answer. I'm looking for a PCI card (not pci express), my PCI-E 1x slot has a do-it-yourself airport card

I'd like to get WOL working as well. What revision of the motherboard did you have before you RMA's your MB, and what revision did they send you back?

h50

I had 1.0, now have 1.1. I did get WOL working, but it's not using very reproducible steps. Here's what I did:

1. Tried to get WOL working in Mac [didn't work, so]

2. Verify WOL is working in Windows [sleep didn't work, so]

3. Get sleep working in Windows [solved, which solved first two]

So the below steps are following the above order - many random items. #2 really confused me because a clean install of Windows should sleep just fine. Anyway, here's what I did:

In Snow Leopard:

1. Delete networking, powermanagement, and preferences .plists from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. Reboot
  2. Old Powermanagement had Wake On Lan, new didn't, so I added Wake On Lan manually

In Windows:

1. Try to sleep. Looked in event log, saw references to bluetooth failing to initialize
  2. Unplug bluetooth USB adapter. Didn't work
  3. Reset Powermanagement in Windows. (Did nothing since this was a fresh install)
  4. Finally installed Media Center Standby Tool (look for Beta on the page for Win7). It said the sleep state was set to nothing instead of default S3. I set this to S3.

That cascaded & fixed sleep, which enabled WOL on Windows, which also made WOL work on Mac. My opinion is it was the bluetooth dongle causing WOL problems in SL - I've read that WOL only works with the "first" network adapter in Snow Leopard, and even though bluetooth wasn't listed as a network device for me it could have screwed up my settings. But I honestly don't know - there could have been a random setting that the MST tool fixed. Unlikely, but possible!

I had 1.0, now have 1.1. I did get WOL working, but it's not using very reproducible steps. Here's what I did:

In Snow Leopard:

1. Delete networking, powermanagement, and preferences .plists from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. Reboot
  2. Old Powermanagement had Wake On Lan, new didn't, so I added Wake On Lan manually

Thanks for this explanation. How did you add Wake On Lan manually? I don't have windows installed or a bluetooth adapter so this may be all I need.

h50

iRobie,

I am not sure what is going wrong with you QX6700 DSDT but here are the ones I made feel free to try them I will not post them on my site until I hear back from you.

Thanks, Ridgeline

A good point was brought up about the DSDT's by Unaclocker, please anyone if you could also post with the pics if you know the name such as Wolfdale Conroe and so on that would be helpful so far I have not seen a significant difference in getting the speed-step between the models mostly it is generation and 45nm vs 65nm and so on that earns them different names but might be helpful in the future.

QX6700X10.zip

QX6700X11.zip

QX6700X12.zip

Q8200.zip

E6750.zip

Ridgeline:

I see from the Gigabyte site that there are now 3 versions of our motherboard. They are 1.0, 1.1, and 1.3 (I don't know what happened to 1.2). There is not much documentation about what has changed with each revision but there must be some differences. I bring this up because I wonder if the same DSDT file can be used with all of them? What do you think?

h50

How did you add Wake On Lan manually?

In /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist, the old version (the one I deleted) had the following key just after TTYSPreventSleep:

<key>Wake On LAN</key>
<integer>1</integer>

The new one didn't, so I added it. Deleting the files didn't do anything for me, but it may have been a cumulative effect that re-enabled WOL.

I see from the Gigabyte site that there are now 3 versions of our motherboard. They are 1.0, 1.1, and 1.3 (I don't know what happened to 1.2). There is not much documentation about what has changed with each revision but there must be some differences. I bring this up because I wonder if the same DSDT file can be used with all of them? What do you think?

From my experience, 1.0 and 1.1 are the same re: DSDT. I put on my old CPU and everything worked great on 1.1, even though my old board was 1.0. It's just now with a new CPU that I'm running into funky stuff.

I am not sure what is going wrong with you QX6700 DSDT but here are the ones I made feel free to try them I will not post them on my site until I hear back from you.

Thanks! I tried it, and your QX6700 DSDT had the same problems - it'll play music, but after being booted about a minute it starts with popping noises. E8200 doesn't have this problem even on this board, and QX6700 is fine with generic DSDT and PStateChanger running in the background. It's just the QX6700 specific DSDT that has problems. But the specific DSDT is about 10% faster (according to geekbench) than voodoopstate+pstatechanger, so I do have incentive to fix this! I loaned my USB sound card to a friend, I'll see if that fixes the problem.

A good point was brought up about the DSDT's by Unaclocker, please anyone if you could also post with the pics if you know the name such as Wolfdale Conroe and so on that would be helpful so far I have not seen a significant difference in getting the speed-step between the models mostly it is generation and 45nm vs 65nm and so on that earns them different names but might be helpful in the future.

E8200 - Wolfdale, 45nm. No problems, speedy! But can't overclock on this board (since G41 has ~342 fbs limit)

QX6700 - Kentsfield, 65nm. Popping sounds.

In /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist, the old version (the one I deleted) had the following key just after TTYSPreventSleep:

<key>Wake On LAN</key>
<integer>1</integer>

The new one didn't, so I added it. Deleting the files didn't do anything for me, but it may have been a cumulative effect that re-enabled WOL.

iRobie,

Thanks for this info. I'll give it a try this weekend and let you know what happens.

h50

i'm trying ridgelines method on a clean install. all seems ok except sleep. it will go to sleep fine but will not wake. seems to be the same problem UnaClocker had back in post #473

i have disconnected my sata dvd

i have checked the box for "startup automatically after power failure."

i am running PleaseSleep

& my DSDT was just made from my screen cap by Ridgeline for the Q8200 C2Q

any other ideas?

i'm trying ridgelines method on a clean install. all seems ok except sleep. it will go to sleep fine but will not wake. seems to be the same problem UnaClocker had back in post #473

i have disconnected my sata dvd

i have checked the box for "startup automatically after power failure."

i am running PleaseSleep

& my DSDT was just made from my screen cap by Ridgeline for the Q8200 C2Q

any other ideas?

What graphics card are you using, and are you using the port closest to the MB?

What revision is your MB?

What else do you have connected to the SATA, PCI slots, and USB ports?

h50

What graphics card are you using, and are you using the port closest to the MB?

What revision is your MB?

What else do you have connected to the SATA, PCI slots, and USB ports?

h50

graphics=ASUS GeForce EN8400GS 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16

it is in the closest slot to the cpu that it will fit in

as for other hardware its down to the essentials.. q8200 cpu, 2x2gb ram, 1: 300gb hd (freshly formated) dvd not plugged in, and the only peripherals are a usb mouse&keyboard and thumb drive with the install on it.

as for other hardware its down to the essentials.. q8200 cpu, 2x2gb ram, 1: 300gb hd (freshly formated) dvd not plugged in, and the only peripherals are a usb mouse&keyboard and thumb drive with the install on it.

Does sleeping/waking work in Windows? My general rule is to fix it in Windows first, then fix on the SL side.

Does sleeping/waking work in Windows? My general rule is to fix it in Windows first, then fix on the SL side.

i was not going to do a dual boot this time, it is currently just an SL install, on a single partition. is a windows partition a requirement for this method?

The graphics card and your hardware should work. I use an 8400 gs from PNY in one of my hacks.

What rev number is your MB? I have a rev 1.0 board.

The only other thing I can think of trying is to use the generic DSDT instead of the one for the q8200. I have a q8400 and a e6300 and both can go to sleep automatically and wake from sleep just fine. iRobie was having some difficulty with a customized DSDT and found that it went away when he used the generic DSDT.

I don't have windows installed on either machine.

h50

<br />i was not going to do a dual boot this time, it is currently just an SL install, on a single partition. is a windows partition a requirement for this method?<br />

WIndows is not required, it's just suggested by iRobie as a debug method. You could just as easily - maybe even easier than windows - do a quick install of Ubuntu 10.x and confirm that sleep works there. If sleep does not work, there is a SL independent issue to address with hardware, likely the BIOS settings.

Based on your description, I suggest to remove Please Sleep, unplug the thumb drive, getting these variables out of the way.

Then reboot, see if on demand sleep and wakeup work after that.

Manual on demand sleep, as well as timeout sleep, and wakeup with any keyboard key all work on my G41M Hac w/o PleaseSleep. All I really needed was the box checked in energy saver control panel.

The graphics card and your hardware should work. I use an 8400 gs from PNY in one of my hacks.

What rev number is your MB? I have a rev 1.0 board.

The only other thing I can think of trying is to use the generic DSDT instead of the one for the q8200. I have a q8400 and a e6300 and both can go to sleep automatically and wake from sleep just fine. iRobie was having some difficulty with a customized DSDT and found that it went away when he used the generic DSDT.

I don't have windows installed on either machine.

h50

i have Rev 1.0

WIndows is not required, it's just suggested by iRobie as a debug method. You could just as easily - maybe even easier than windows - do a quick install of Ubuntu 10.x and confirm that sleep works there. If sleep does not work, there is a SL independent issue to address with hardware, likely the BIOS settings.

Based on your description, I suggest to remove Please Sleep, unplug the thumb drive, getting these variables out of the way.

Then reboot, see if on demand sleep and wakeup work after that.

Manual on demand sleep, as well as timeout sleep, and wakeup with any keyboard key all work on my G41M Hac w/o PleaseSleep. All I really needed was the box checked in energy saver control panel.

tried with no thumb drive and no pleasesleep. still no wake.

also tried to reinstall with 10.6 then combo it 10.6.3 (previously used combo to 10.6.4) still no help..

is there a post somewhere with screen caps of the bios on this MB? i am going by the tonymacx86 guide for bios but it is a bit different..

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...ac-os-x-on.html

That's strange. That's the biggest selling point for Gigabyte boards with OSX.. Sleep works.. Very strange that it's not for you. If it weren't working for everyone else, I'd tell you to try a different install method.. But it is.. So it's got to be something unique to your system.. One of your devices, a BIOS setting, a misbehaving kext..

i have Rev 1.0

also tried to reinstall with 10.6 then combo it 10.6.3 (previously used combo to 10.6.4) still no help..

is there a post somewhere with screen caps of the bios on this MB? i am going by the tonymacx86 guide for bios but it is a bit different..

i have Rev.1.0, 10.6.4, no Pleasesleep, BIOS F8, Ridgeline's DSDT for E6300 and all work fine (i use a GeForce Sparkle 9400GT 1024Mb).

What version of bios you?

check these BIOS settings:

ACPI S3

HPET 64bit mode

floppy disabled

Quick note it seems a lot of GTX210 users need nvenabler is anyone else using this?

I tried NVEnabler with my Sparkle GTX210-512 but doesnt work fine. i use EFI String (osxtool) with NVCAP (nvcap maker) extracted from VGA (nvflash)

oh yes. forgot to mention that. yes i did try the generic DSDT... still no wake from sleep.

I think iRobie's idea makes sense to try now. I have almost the same hardware and it works. If your hardware can wake from sleep under a different OS, then we know its SL that's the problem. If sleep still doesn't work, then its something about the hardware.

The only difference between our hardware is the CPU. I don't think the q8200 supports virtualization, but I don't think that should affect sleep.

Does anyone else have this working with a q8200?

h50

i have Rev 1.0

The settings are the same but you may have missed the important ACPI Suspend Type S3 setting?

He gives a screenshot but doesn't write about it.

bios= ver. 8

ACPI= S3

HPET= 64

floppy= disabled.

i know its not a hardware problem because sleep worked with the previous install method on the same box..

I am just trying the ridgeline method because 10.6.4 broke my audio with the old method…

thanks to everyone for the help..

i may just try to live without sleep..