[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

iRobie

934 posts in this topic

H50 thank you for stepping up man great knowledge base. Man I am back at my desk and was able to add the q9550 to my dsdt library it has been updated to my site. Just thought I would let everyone know.

And no SL does not report QE/CI like leopard did.

probably the easiest way is if you are using a windows keyboard hit the windows key and the escape key at the same time after a second it should load front row. just a KB shortcut also anyone using a windows keyboard the windows button performs all the same functions as the command button on an apple KB. for example windows/shift/a will open the applications folder in finder. replace the a with a u for utilities.

windows and z will undo and windows c copies and windows v pastes.

I have the same graphics card for my 2nd hack. As far as I can tell, SL does not report QE/CI in "About this Mac" like Leopard did.

This post listed 3 ways to tell if QE/CI was enabled:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1493426

So i found some ways you can check to see if your card is fully accelerated.

Open Front Row. If it opens and is functional, QE/CI are enabled.

Open Dashboard and add a widget. If you see cool ripples, QE/CI are enabled.

Open Chess and play. If you can make more of a move, QE/CI are enabled.

I've tried all three tests on my 2nd hack and the graphics card handled them all.

Can anyone confirm that this means that QE/CI are enabled?

Thanks

Using those 3 steps, full acceleration is not enabled.

h50

gthompson:

It's hard to help you without knowing more about your hardware, whether it was a fresh install, and what happens when you try the three tests?

You posted a screenshot earlier that showed that your graphics card passed all the tests for all versions of OpenGL except for 3.0. I ran the same diagnostic on my hack and got the same result. However, the website for the diagnostic program you used says that OpenGL v3.0 is windows only so maybe its normal that our hacks don't pass this test.

What is the symptom that tells you that you don't have "full acceleration"?

h50

I don't have the ripple that is common when adding a widget on dashboard. I also get a blackscreen using frontrow. Chess is super slow. And iMovie givese a message that say my card is not equiped with quartz extreme. Iused a fresh vanilla install of sl on a g41m-es2l, e6750 at 2.66ghz, 250gb sata HD for mac os, DVD/cd IDE disk drive, 4gb dual channel DDR2, geforce 8400 gs 512mb, wmp54 linksys wifi card, bluetooth. Hope pthis helps

I don't have the ripple that is common when adding a widget on dashboard. I also get a blackscreen using frontrow. Chess is super slow. And iMovie givese a message that say my card is not equiped with quartz extreme. Iused a fresh vanilla install of sl on a g41m-es2l, e6750 at 2.66ghz, 250gb sata HD for mac os, DVD/cd IDE disk drive, 4gb dual channel DDR2, geforce 8400 gs 512mb, wmp54 linksys wifi card, bluetooth. Hope pthis helps

Your hardware should be fine.

When you installed SL, did you first use Disk Utility to repartition the drive? I have found that if you had another bootloader installed on the HD, that you can't get rid of it unless you repartition and reformat the HD. Having remnants of an old bootloader on the boot HD can cause unpredictable problems.

Your hardware should be fine.

When you installed SL, did you first use Disk Utility to repartition the drive? I have found that if you had another bootloader installed on the HD, that you can't get rid of it unless you repartition and reformat the HD. Having remnants of an old bootloader on the boot HD can cause unpredictable problems.

I reformatted my drive before install using disk utility, so I don't think it's a bootloader problem.

@ridgel1ne

I use VGA connector, is dvi better?

I reformatted my drive before install using disk utility, so I don't think it's a bootloader problem.

@ridgel1ne

I use VGA connector, is dvi better?

I just saw you posted in a previous message that you are using NVenabler64.kext. I don't use that. I just use Ridgeline's post-installer v2.3. I don't think v2.3 has an option to install NVenabler so you must have added this separately or you used an earlier version of Ridgeline's post-installer. If so, try removing NVenabler and running v2.3 of the post-installer again and see if it fixes your problem.

I just saw you posted in a previous message that you are using NVenabler64.kext. I don't use that. I just use Ridgeline's post-installer v2.3. I don't think v2.3 has an option to install NVenabler so you must have added this separately or you used an earlier version of Ridgeline's post-installer. If so, try removing NVenabler and running v2.3 of the post-installer again and see if it fixes your problem.

I used ridglines updated installer 2.3 but my graphics was recognized as Ati and I couldn't change resolution so I installed nvenabler seperately from a previous installer.

I used ridglines updated installer 2.3 but my graphics was recognized as Ati and I couldn't change resolution so I installed nvenabler seperately from a previous installer.

This seems like the root of the problem. Perhaps Ridgeline can help you to figure out why your card is not properly recognized.

okay yes I would try the DVI connection, first and secondly go to the Extras folder. and drag the com.apple.boot.plist to your desktop. then open it with text edit or something of that nature. secondly delete the lines that look like this.

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Save and drag this new plist back to your /Extras folder. it will ask you to replace and possibly authenticate. hit replace and input you password if asked. reboot

and post your results leaving the nvenabler in place

okay yes I would try the DVI connection, first and secondly go to the Extras folder. and drag the com.apple.boot.plist to your desktop. then open it with text edit or something of that nature. secondly delete the lines that look like this.

<string>Yes</string>

Save and drag this new plist back to your /Extras folder. it will ask you to replace and possibly authenticate. hit replace and input you password if asked. reboot

and post your results leaving the nvenabler in place

sorry it took so long, I had to get my hands on a dvi capable monitor. I did the steps ridgline prescribed and left nvenabler in place, but I still don't get QE capability.

>>Some consideration<<

The EFI partition isn't visible from MacOS then is not erasable. You will need to use DISKPART to delete it before you do a fresh install. I don't know if there is another method.

Only 1 injector must use at a time.

NVenabler is an injector, like NVinject, NVDarwin. Well EfiString are an injector. Also PC-EFI 10.5 combined with 2 strings (method 1) above is an injector.

There are at least 3 methods to activate QE/CI on nVidia cards in SL:

1) Add to com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra:

<string>Yes</string> ==> Reboot

a- If that doesn't work, check if the file info.plist of NVDAResman.kext & NVDANV50Hal.kext (/S/L/E) is present the DeviceID+Vendor (find in System Profiler) of your VGA. After adding YourID install kexts with KextHelper and reboot. Example:

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0427 == add ==> 0x042710de

2) Put NVenabler.kext in /E/E or /S/L/E and repair permission with KextUtility

a- same, reboot

b- add the same ID to info.plist of NVenabler and repair permission with KextUtility, reboot

3) Add EfiString (OSXTool) to com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra:

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>paste-here-YOUR-Efi-String<string>

Gentlefolks - a few updates for my G41M-ES2L homeys:

1. BIOS F8 is safe to use. feel free to update if you've wondered about it.

2. I could never get 64 bit to work with my video card (Quadro FX 540). Then someone told me that the card has to be at least an 8400. That, coupled with a NewEgg sale was the perfect excuse for me to upgrade to a fanless Asus card. Indeed, put the 8400 in there and we are rockin' at 64 bits.

3. I'm experimenting with ways to get more bang for the buck, particularly for video work, short of stepping up to an i5 or i7 processor on another board (P55 series). I'm overclocking right now with a 9.5 multiplier. Temps are about 40C using a Zalman variable cooler.

4. Xbench shows good CPU test numbers (~215 consistently) but thread test shows smaller and more variable numbers relative to other Hack boards on Xbench public numbers site.

Overall, I gotta say I'm pretty happy with this board.

Gatz thanks for the input and that is why I had him delete the graphics enabler from his plist also when doin a fresh install if you just repartition your hard and format to hfs journaled it will get rid of the chameleon partition. Gthompson I think there maybe to much going on in your chameleon partition which as H50 mentioned is the root of your problem try a fresh install and before you do anything other than run my latest installer test your gfx if they are still not working let me know and we can start fresh.

Unix glad to hear about the new bios if am at f7 and will update to f8 today try running geekbench that is my bench of preference.

I have done a dsdt for the e4500 which will be posted to my site later today.

I can say that the The Sparkle GeForce 9400GT-1024MB & 9500GT-512MB work with <key>GraphicEnabler</key> without changing any kexts.

I had screen's freeze problems and, after countless tests, I solved it by changing the RAM (Apacer) with 2x Patriot 2GB PC2-6400, CL5 (PSD22G8002).

IMPORTANT: install SL with one stick of RAM! Add the second stick of RAM when you are sure that everything works 100% and test the correct operation of the system.

Wow interesting find I have run Patriot, Crucial, Kingston, OCR, and currently A-Data with never an issue I wonder if the ram it self was bad? I always ran full slots also from the start...... Well its not a bad idea.

ridgeline:

If you're still collecting pstate info for different CPUs here is my Q8300

post-539966-1278237078_thumb.png

(and thanks to everyone in the thread who has supplied valuable information in this thread, been running this board with OS X for 6 months now)

I could really use a DSDT.aml for a v1.1 motherboard and an Intel E2180. Any help is appreciated.

Follow the required steps to post your pstates like botten did and I will make a dsdt the dsdt does not change from v1 to v1.1

Here is the Q8300 and a E4500

Keep em coming guys and I will keep making the modified dsdt's please save me the aggravation of telling me if it is a pentium, celeron, core duo, core 2 duo, xeon, core 2 quad and so on .

these will be up on the website by Tuesday but feel free to dl here

Q8300.zip

E4500.zip