[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

iRobie

934 posts in this topic

Hi,

sorry to ask again

Is there a PCI card (not a PCI-E 1x card!) that allows more internal SATA ports (sata I or II, whatever) and which works with the iHac ?

i have had good luck with any hardware that says it works natively on mac. i was looking at getting this one myself. not yet tryed it but this seems to be the best cost/benefit..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...Syba-_-16124028

i have now a gts250, i use this guide with your installer 2.3 ridgeline. But it didn't work, the system cannot know my e5300 pentium and the Nvidia video card. I have chosen this board because of this guide, i dunno how to fix this now. Help me, pleas

okay so what all have you done? I am sure you have messed around trying things. How do you know that you e5300 is not working did you get the DSDT I made for it if not you can download it at www.ridgel1ne.com under the dsdt downloads section.

What have you tried so far to get video working? This way I can guide you from there on the necessary steps that you need to take.

I have the GTS 250 also now - it works great with this board.

Have you tried the generic DSDT? And what do you mean by it doesn't work? Doesn't boot? Doesn't sleep? Doesn't use video card properly?

Is anyone else using IPv6 on their install in 64-bit mode? I've got an odd issue with it where IPv6 traffic doesn't seem to leave the local machine. I'm not sure if it's a 'bitness' issue or something else, and my search attempts turn up empty (my google-fu must be weak on this subject)

EDIT 7/15: Fixed it. It appears that the install of an iSCSI software initiator I had (that was 32-bit only) was somehow stopping it. Since the driver didn't load when I moved to 32-bit, I didn't think of it being a problem, but between removing that and the safe boot, my ipv6 stack is once again working.

I thought IPv6 was vaporware.
Heh, may as well be in the USA, with as slow as it's being moved on.

As of Jan 21st 2010, the number of available IPv4 addresses is less than 10 percent. I'm not saying the 'net is going to melt down or London and Tokyo are going to end up in flames (then again, if some of those more rabid footie fans can't get to the web page of their favourite club...), but getting everything ready for (or better yet, moved to) IPv6 is getting more and more important.

I've been running a dual stack site for a while now with one of the free IPv6 tunnels from Hurricane Electric, and everything was working fine. I'm not sure when my v6 stuff broke, if it was before the 64-bit move or after, but I know that my other v6 capable machines here are still working fine.

I'll have to reboot into 32-bit and see if it works, or it's something with my current install after I used the migration assistant

I'm glad it worked for you! Can you tell us if you had to do anything special to get your graphics card working?

Thanks,

h50

Not really after I finished following the entire guide everything worked out the box, before I had a lot of problems getting the video card to work and what i did was delete everything on the hard drive(all partitions, pop in a win xp cd and delete the partitions) reboot the pc with the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd in it and start fresh following this guide, after I did all of it everything was working with out me messing around. do you have the same video card(pny verto gt 240 1gb)???

Not really after I finished following the entire guide everything worked out the box, before I had a lot of problems getting the video card to work and what i did was delete everything on the hard drive(all partitions, pop in a win xp cd and delete the partitions) reboot the pc with the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd in it and start fresh following this guide, after I did all of it everything was working with out me messing around. do you have the same video card(pny verto gt 240 1gb)???

Tazito,

Thanks for this insight. I had the same easy install with an Asus 8400 gs. Then I saw a PNY 210 at Frys for $10. When I put the card in, however, the hack would show a black screen right when the apple logo would normally come up. I decided to go back to the 8400 which immediately solved the problem. I've seen good deals on a 240 but didn't want to spend any more money without a reason to believe the card would work. Based on your experience, I may give it a try.

h50

Tazito,

Thanks for this insight. I had the same easy install with an Asus 8400 gs. Then I saw a PNY 210 at Frys for $10. When I put the card in, however, the hack would show a black screen right when the apple logo would normally come up. I decided to go back to the 8400 which immediately solved the problem. I've seen good deals on a 240 but didn't want to spend any more money without a reason to believe the card would work. Based on your experience, I may give it a try.

h50

Before I follow this guide I had problems, I had to manually change the resolution, I was about to return the graphic card. then I found this guide and again I started fresh on the HDD nothing on it just clean. and yep the guide is as easy as installing windows. I got the card for 89.00 in newegg.com and I recommend it.

Before I follow this guide I had problems, I had to manually change the resolution, I was about to return the graphic card. then I found this guide and again I started fresh on the HDD nothing on it just clean. and yep the guide is as easy as installing windows. I got the card for 89.00 in newegg.com and I recommend it.

I think a lot of problems are caused by not starting with a clean hard drive. Using disk utility to repartition the drive doesn't seem to completely wipe the drive. I've used gparted to make sure I start with a clean HD and it worked great.

h50

iRobie,

I think Gatzs' post #540 is worth noting in the first post. The reason is that our hacks all share the same MB but we all have different combinations of CPU, DVD, and gfx. Ridgeline's installer takes care of the CPU differences through DSDTs. PleaseSleep solves the problem with the firmware in all but a few DVD drives. Some gfx cards work OOB, but for many this is going to require some additional tinkering that Gatz describes.

I see that Step 1 says to use disk utility to prepare the drive but I think its also worth saying that even if your drive is already GUID, its still worth repartitioning the drive to get rid of invisible files that previous installer may have put on the disk. Gatz recommends in post #540 to use diskpart instead of disk utility to do this. And, tazito says he used a windows CD wipe his HD. I suspect that this is at the root of gthompson's problem.

These small additions to the mini-guide may help new users avoid some of the pitfalls we've all worked through. I'd love to see more posts like tazitos saying it just worked.

I think your mini-guide is a great way to build a pretty powerful hackintosh at close to the lowest possible cost especially since socket 775 CPUs are coming down in price. Fry's had a deal for our MB and an C2D e7500 for $99 a little while ago and I just saw Microcenter had a boxed C2Q 9300 for $129. At these prices, I may soon have one of these for every TV in my house.

I have also found that the IDE port on our MB does not have the same problems other MBs have. This is great because I have a few old PATA DVDs and HDs. Our MB only has 4 SATA ports on it so using an old PATA DVD saves money and frees up 1 of the SATA ports without any downside.

h50

I just put a build together with this motherboard. I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and a retail version of SL. Thanks to this guide, everything is working.

That's great to hear. Would you mind telling us what CPU, DVD and Gfx card worked for you?

On a different topic:

I just tried to install Silverlight so I can watch Netflix instant movies. Silverlight said it couldn't install on my machine because it wasn't an intel mac. Sure enough in About this mac it said my CPU was unknown.

Found this topic: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189562

Learned that those of us with C2Q processors need to edit smbios.plist in /Extras. The default one that is in there says:

<key>SMcputype</key>

<string>769</string>

For a C2Q we have to change the string from 769 to 1281. Then fix permissions and reboot. About this mac will report the CPU as a quad core intel xeon, but Silverlight will install fine. I think Ridgeline has a C2D so it makes sense that his post-installer would set the CPU type to 769 which is the right code for his CPU.

I wonder now if before today, some of my apps were running under Rosetta because they didn't know this was an intel processor?

GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L V1.1, f6 Bios, Intel Q8300, 4GB RAM, GeForce 8500 GTS,

Barry:

You have a G31M-ES2L and this post-installer worked? If so that's great news. I've often wondered about that board. Did your 8500 work out of the box or did you need to wrestle with it?

h50

Yes. I used Ridgeline's installer. That got the sound working. The front panel audio doesn't work, which I understood wouldn't happen anyway. The Nvidia 8500 was working out of the box. It's recognized properly in the system profiler. I only used that card because people had success on this site with it. I want to upgrade to a better card since this will be used with Final Cut Pro.

Hi folks

I was just wondering, is building a iHac illegal ?

I mean as long as we buy the original Snow Leopard DVD everything should be fine with regards to the law?

of course we get no support and no warranty from Apple.

Just wanted to be sure if it's ok.

Hi folks

I was just wondering, is building a iHac illegal ?

I mean as long as we buy the original Snow Leopard DVD everything should be fine with regards to the law?

of course we get no support and no warranty from Apple.

Just wanted to be sure if it's ok.

If you are making the system for your self u should be good, now if you are planning to build and sell that's against the law.