[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

iRobie

934 posts in this topic

Rex Luna please post some pics of your current bios settings. also please try to repaid permissions with disk utility and are you trying to sleep with no other apps running? certain apps like utorrent keep me from sleep? Chec the S1 and S2 settings

Can you manually put it to sleep from the tool bar? and wait a minute then wake or does your system just not turn on?

I have noticed with my wireless usb keyboard and mouse. that sometimes I have to hit enter a couple of times like a double tap before my system wakes I believe this is more due to wireless than anything else.

<br />bios= ver. 8<br />ACPI= S3<br />HPET= 64<br />floppy= disabled.<br /><br />i know its not a hardware problem because sleep worked with the previous install method on the same box..<br />I am just trying the ridgeline method because 10.6.4 broke my audio with the old method…<br /><br />thanks to everyone for the help..<br />i may just try to live without sleep..<br />

Don't live without sleep brother!

Actually, I had this problem for a while (see much earlier part of this thread) and it started bugging me much more than I thought it would. PM me your DSDT (you say you custom made it) and I will do a diff with mine. May as well not assume anything so please include your /Extra contents Just doing a "cd /Extra" and doing a "find . -exec ls -ld {} \;" will give me what I need there.

You know it's going to be some stupid little setting.

Ridgeline:

i did repair permissions.

no other apps installed. just a clean osx install on a fresh format. using 10.6 image and then combo to 10.6.3.

i can put it to sleep from the tool bar, then wait a min or so and try to wake but no response.. only peripherals are an apple usb keyboard and logitech usb mouse. power button causes restart.

unix_fan:

my dsdt is the one on Ridgelines site for the Q8200. I made no changes, and he made it from the screen cap of my cpu. (Thanks again Ridgeline.)

http://www.ridgel1ne.com/OSX86/DSDT_Downlo...files/Q8200.zip

7e77082f96_img_4663.jpg

6bd9621432_img_4664.jpg

076768415c_img_4665.jpg

0e75953082_img_4666.jpg

9401940e47_img_4667.jpg

ad28388030_img_4668.jpg

d735431104_img_4669.jpg

0f8874925b_img_4670.jpg

924655574b_img_4671.jpg

bcc4972937_img_4672.jpg

753975497d_img_4673.jpg

did you uninstall the pstate kext and delete the app?

Unix_fan please let me know if you find anything out of the norm in your opinion before you change a lot I would like to see your view and points

Okay try running the pstate again with this setup so we can verify that the original pstates were correct. With the other configuration something could have been off. If your pstates show even a little different it can cause you a lot of grief.

ok, so sorry for wasting everyone time and taking over the forum… sleep is working..

total user error..

the first time i did it i got a KP at: Final Step: "Install bootloader and kexts".

so i thought that meant i needed to install EmpireEFI again on my new install before ridgelines installer. i just started over at square one and now see the error of my ways..

thanks to everyone for the help…

ok, so sorry for wasting everyone time and taking over the forum… sleep is working..

total user error..

the first time i did it i got a KP at: Final Step: "Install bootloader and kexts".

so i thought that meant i needed to install EmpireEFI again on my new install before ridgelines installer. i just started over at square one and now see the error of my ways..

thanks to everyone for the help…

I'm glad its working for you.

Great! So, there are no open issues with this board? Except my sound popping using one CPU, which has two solutions (use Voodoopstate or USB audio).

Well, now that everyone's board is working, there's an issue I ran into the other day. I upgraded my Flash player to 10.1 gala. That made all flash videos very choppy. I uninstalled, and installed the latest version (10.1). Chrome also has 10.1 built in. Still choppy. Downgrading my flash player to 10.0.45 fixed that - then disabling the internal 10.1 flash player of Chrome fixed it in Chrome. Anyone else ran into that? I can post the 10.0.45 installer if others are having the same problem.

I've had apparently complete success with this board using a 8600gt video card and sony optiarc dvd drive. I was even able to update to 10.6.4 without breaking sound or anything. Used Ridgeline's g41 installer (thanks to him for all his hard work).

I've had apparently complete success with this board using a 8600gt video card and sony optiarc dvd drive. I was even able to update to 10.6.4 without breaking sound or anything. Used Ridgeline's g41 installer (thanks to him for all his hard work).

That's great news. Can you tell us what CPU and rev of the MB you had success with? This info may help us figure out what combinations of CPU, rev MB, DVD, and Graphics cards work with Ridgeline's post-installer.

h50

That's great news. Can you tell us what CPU and rev of the MB you had success with? This info may help us figure out what combinations of CPU, rev MB, DVD, and Graphics cards work with Ridgeline's post-installer.

h50

Revision f4 on the motherboard. The video card is an old xfx 8600gt with 512mg ddr3. The dvd is a sony optiarc. The processor is an e7500 c2d.

Revision f4 on the motherboard. The video card is an old xfx 8600gt with 512mg ddr3. The dvd is a sony optiarc. The processor is an e7500 c2d.

Thanks for posting this. f4 is the rev of the bios. The latest is f8 so it is another potential source of difference among us. There are also 3 revs of the motherboard. Nice to know that f4 works. The rev of your MB is printed in white letters along one edge of the board. As far as I know rev 1.0 and 1.1 don't seem to make a difference. I don't know anyone with a rev 1.3 board yet. But it would be nice to know that everything still works on a rev 1.3 board in case anyone wants to buy a new board to make another hack.

h50

Great! So, there are no open issues with this board? Except my sound popping using one CPU, which has two solutions (use Voodoopstate or USB audio).
I've actually been looking at a USB audio device as well. I'm not dismissing the hard work Rdigeline and others have put into this, but I'm trying to think ahead and 'future proof' my setup as much as possible for the next update Apple releases (and removes support for who knows what next).

Another option to consider, if you have any SBLive cards collecting dust (I've got three different revisions sitting on my shelf), is the kX project (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=104797 and http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/).

They are claiming that the driver supports up to 7.1 in 32 and 64 bit modes.

(And for those who are wondering, my sig has the updated info on my board revision. 1.1)

Thanks for posting this. f4 is the rev of the bios. The latest is f8 so it is another potential source of difference among us. There are also 3 revs of the motherboard. Nice to know that f4 works. The rev of your MB is printed in white letters along one edge of the board. As far as I know rev 1.0 and 1.1 don't seem to make a difference. I don't know anyone with a rev 1.3 board yet. But it would be nice to know that everything still works on a rev 1.3 board in case anyone wants to buy a new board to make another hack.

h50

1.1 on the board.

i fixed all my sleep problems by reinstalling the OpenHaltRestart.kext back in E/E

That does not make any sense, There is added code into the dsdt I provided that takes care of the restart issue which is what the openhaltrestart.kext is for that really should not effect sleep at all. but if you ran kext utility afterwards to repair permission that might have been more the solution than the openhaltrestart.

My computer would go to sleep but not wake up, and when i used the power button it would completly restart. I added that kext and repaired permissions and now it will sleep but only wake with power button.

I repair permissions with kext utility everytime i do anything, so I dont think that there was a problem with permissions.

My computer would go to sleep but not wake up, and when i used the power button it would completly restart. I added that kext and repaired permissions and now it will sleep but only wake with power button.

I repair permissions with kext utility everytime i do anything, so I dont think that there was a problem with permissions.

There is a checkbox in the Energy Saver control panel for "Startup Automatically After Power Failure." Do you have it checked or unchecked?

Nvidia geforce 8400 gs 512mb pcie.

I have the same graphics card for my 2nd hack. As far as I can tell, SL does not report QE/CI in "About this Mac" like Leopard did.

This post listed 3 ways to tell if QE/CI was enabled:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1493426

So i found some ways you can check to see if your card is fully accelerated.

Open Front Row. If it opens and is functional, QE/CI are enabled.

Open Dashboard and add a widget. If you see cool ripples, QE/CI are enabled.

Open Chess and play. If you can make more of a move, QE/CI are enabled.

I've tried all three tests on my 2nd hack and the graphics card handled them all.

Can anyone confirm that this means that QE/CI are enabled?

Thanks

h50