 [GUIDE] SNOW on Abit IP35-Pro! (ICH9-R)

ricola

360 posts in this topic

Hello I have a ip35-e and I have tried everything to get this to work. I have followed your guide and a lot of other peoples perfectly and I cant get it to work.

My system starts and goes to the chameleon gui and then I boot with -v and in 32 bit mode. then it scrolls through the kexts and then goes to a blank screen and reboots. Please someone help me I am freaking out. I can't take this any more. I have been trying this for 3 days. I need to get this so I can sleep and stop stressing about it. Please someone help me out.

Hello I have a ip35-e and I have tried everything to get this to work. I have followed your guide and a lot of other peoples perfectly and I cant get it to work.

My system starts and goes to the chameleon gui and then I boot with -v and in 32 bit mode. then it scrolls through the kexts and then goes to a blank screen and reboots. Please someone help me I am freaking out. I can't take this any more. I have been trying this for 3 days. I need to get this so I can sleep and stop stressing about it. Please someone help me out.

Hi Kevin87,

I'm not that sure about your case, but maybe the problem comes from your HDD controller. Take a look at their differences.

IP35-Pro

SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 82801IR/IO/IH (ICH9R/DO/DH) 6 port SATA AHCI Controller [8086:2922]
SATA controller [0106]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller [197b:2363]
IDE interface [0101]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller [197b:2363]

IP35-E

IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801IB (ICH9) 2 port SATA IDE Controller [8086:2921]
IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) 2 port SATA IDE Controller [8086:2926]
IDE interface [0101]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMB368 IDE controller [197b:2368]

I took the sample of IP35-E lspci from this site :D

You can add this Updated AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext to your Extra/Extensions.

There is one more thing I'd like to know - what is actually PlatformUUID.kext? What does this kext do?? Is it related to Chameleon RC1? Do I need this in RC2 version? I'm trying to update my Chameleon RC1 version to RC2 - trying to figure out what is the difference between them and what I have to change in my configuration to make it work.

There is one more thing I'd like to know - what is actually PlatformUUID.kext? What does this kext do?? Is it related to Chameleon RC1? Do I need this in RC2 version? I'm trying to update my Chameleon RC1 version to RC2 - trying to figure out what is the difference between them and what I have to change in my configuration to make it work.
Waveman777, According to this site ... PlatformUUID - Removes the UUID 35 Error by injecting a generic UUID

You can still keep it with RC2 :(

Ok I have gone through this process several times now, and there is one thing that really confuses me.

I can ONLY get the drive to boot SL if:

1) I install Chameleon from 10.5

2) I cache kexts (using the tool) from 10.6

This is keeping me from installing on my main system because I don't have two systems available at the same time.

I believe it is because Chameleon is forcing me to boot in 64bit mode, and 10.5 won't compile 64bit cache. I am unable to get Chameleon to boot in 32bit mode; I have tried: "-v arch=x86_32" and "-v -x32" with no luck.

Mattswell,

Install BSD.pkg from your Snow dmg or DVD to your Snow partition.

Navigate : /System/Installation/Packages/BSD.pkg, Restart, next Disk Utility -> Repair Permissions within 10.6

Another stupid question. :( Sometimes people use "sudo -s" command, sometimes "sudo su". What is the difference between them and when we should use? I mean - before installing boot0 and boot1h for example some people using "sudo -s", some people "sudo su"... Is there any list of rules how to use it?

Hi Musticas,

Try my Extensions.mkext, put it to /Volumes/Extra replace the one there.

In Terminal :

sudo -s
touch /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions
touch /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions

Restart.

Now it gave me "Still waiting for root device" error. You know what, Im going for another fresh around - been messing with many different methods already.

EDIT - and still same KP (about HPET). Going to try your mkext again. Meanwhyle maybe you have some other ideas. Btw - I did it all with my own dsdt.aml again.

EDIT2 - and with your mkext same "Still waiting for boot device".. Im going nuts.

we have same mobo ;) click my sig

I'll try to post new topic here in English within 2-3 days http://tinyurl.com/nkb52u

I'll PM you if it ready.

Now it gave me "Still waiting for root device" error. You know what, Im going for another fresh around - been messing with many different methods already.

EDIT - and still same KP (about HPET). Going to try your mkext again. Meanwhyle maybe you have some other ideas. Btw - I did it all with my own dsdt.aml again.

EDIT2 - and with your mkext same "Still waiting for boot device".. Im going nuts.

Download ABIT_IP35_PRO.zip and use DSDT.aml or the whole Extra folder to your snow partition. :wacko:

Or perhaps you can upload your dsdt_fixed.txt. See post #42

I need more information about your HW .. CPU ? VGA ? HDD ? bios setting(controller)?

Download ABIT_IP35_PRO.zip and use DSDT.aml or the whole Extra folder to your snow partition. :)

Or perhaps you can to upload your dsdt_fixed.txt. See post #42

I need more information about your HW .. CPU ? VGA ? HDD ? bios setting(controller)?

Trying it asap. My conf:

CPU - Q6600

VGA - HD4850

HDD - WD6401AALS

Which BIOS settings are you interested in?

EDIT - Oh, forgot my dsdt_fixed.txt, sry. Its here -> http://www.upload.ee/download/180452/21747.../dsdt_fixed.txt

Success! Well, at least another step - now there is only graphic card to get working.

What I did differently this time:

*Followed your latest guide

*AHCI mode in bios

*Installed on whole HDD not just on one (first) partition (second was always blank)

Now I need to deal with HD4850 which is completely different issue.

I was all euphoric for a minute or two in SL until..

1) I removed the ATI kexts as said in the 4850 thread

2) I was able to boot into SL! (in low reso ofc, no support for craphic card)

3) I was rushing into this thread to report my succsess.

4) I got KP spashed on the screen.

5) Rebooted

6) Booted into SL, this time having no network support, same KP followed shortly again (will post soon, gmail is down).

BTW - I also have BIOS reseted every time I am booting PC again, as someone else from this thread. I have to choose a pre-configured BIOS profile before every boot.

I am going to mess with 4850 guides, maybe that fixes the problem. Or do you have any other ideas?

Success now! No KP so far :D Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! (didnt copy-paste those :))

Now going to deal with 4850, ive read that it is full supported also.

Even tho - anyone could suggest a fix for SL reseting BIOS to default seting after every boot?

TY

and TY AGAIN! :)

Btw - about the BIOS reseting. On reboot it says "CMOS checksum error - swiching to Defaults"

:( You're welcome ...

This is your DSDT.dsl RTC section, experiment with the Alignment value (0x01, 0x02, 0x04, 0x08), but keep the Lenght value to 0x002

Device (RTC)
			{
				Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
				Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x0070,			 // Range Minimum
						0x0070,			 // Range Maximum
						0x00,			   // Alignment
						0x02,			   // Length
						)
				})
			}

compile to DSDT.aml

./iasl -sa DSDT.dsl

Reboot twice to check if it fix 'CMOS reset' or not

I still have no success with sleep... I've given it up for now. I patched my USB ports in the dsdt.aml (faking ICH10R usb) and after that my machine goes off like it should with sleepenabler.kext (before fans still running) and I can wake via the keyboard but then just nothing. Automatic sleep is absolutly not working, nothing happens.

I still have no success with sleep... I've given it up for now. I patched my USB ports in the dsdt.aml (faking ICH10R usb) and after that my machine goes off like it should with sleepenabler.kext (before fans still running) and I can wake via the keyboard but then just nothing. Automatic sleep is absolutly not working, nothing happens.

'Black, why would you 'faking ICH10 usb' for?

:D You're welcome ...

This is your DSDT.dsl RTC section, experiment with the Alignment value (0x01, 0x02, 0x04, 0x08), but keep the Lenght value to 0x002

Device (RTC)
			{
				Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
				Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x0070,			 // Range Minimum
						0x0070,			 // Range Maximum
						0x00,			   // Alignment
						0x02,			   // Length
						)
				})
			}

compile to DSDT.aml

./iasl -sa DSDT.dsl

Reboot twice to check if it fix 'CMOS reset' or not

It worked! For first (0x01) try! :D Now it will be much faster with those reboots I need for messing with 4850.

Hi. This time I have some post-installation problem. It might not be a proper topic for that - but I used this guide and I think that my problem might be related to a GFX string, or maybe not... we'll see.

So, the problem is - after successful SL installation - I was trying to calibrate my monitor - So I go to System Preferences/Displays/Color > Calibrate... and after 2 steps, when you determine your native gamma - when I move the slider - nothing happening, nothing at all. So basically - it doesn't work. It works perfectly in the same hardware with Leopard - but there was a NVinject option for GFX instead of EFI string.

So - please try to do the same and let me know - do you guys have the same problem?

Thanks

Hi. This time I have some post-installation problem. It might not be a proper topic for that - but I used this guide and I think that my problem might be related to a GFX string, or maybe not... we'll see.

So, the problem is - after successful SL installation - I was trying to calibrate my monitor - So I go to System Preferences/Displays/Color > Calibrate... and after 2 steps, when you determine your native gamma - when I move the slider - nothing happening, nothing at all. So basically - it doesn't work. It works perfectly in the same hardware with Leopard - but there was a NVinject option for GFX instead of EFI string.

So - please try to do the same and let me know - do you guys have the same problem?

Thanks

I have no problems with this but I assume this is an interaction of the kernel method used and vid card.

For me EFI string + BFG 7900GS works great.

-vividvew