 [GUIDE] SNOW on Abit IP35-Pro! (ICH9-R)

ricola

360 posts in this topic

Hi Kevin87,

I'm not that sure about your case, but maybe the problem comes from your HDD controller. Take a look at their differences.

IP35-Pro

SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 82801IR/IO/IH (ICH9R/DO/DH) 6 port SATA AHCI Controller [8086:2922]
SATA controller [0106]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller [197b:2363]
IDE interface [0101]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller [197b:2363]

IP35-E

IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801IB (ICH9) 2 port SATA IDE Controller [8086:2921]
IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) 2 port SATA IDE Controller [8086:2926]
IDE interface [0101]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMB368 IDE controller [197b:2368]

I took the sample of IP35-E lspci from this site :)

You can add this Updated AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext to your Extra/Extensions.

Just tried the kext. didn't work :)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=168014

Without my pc won't turn off (fans still spinning etc.) when I click sleep.

OpenHaltRestart.kext 64 bit can fix shutdown/restart too.

Dev id's of LPC Interface Controller in IP35-Pro is [8086:2916]

ISA bridge : Intel Corporation 82801IR (ICH9R) LPC Interface Controller [8086:2916]

Add 2916 to AppleLPC.kext/Contents/info.plist string array under IONameMatch

<key>IONameMatch</key>
		<array>
			<string>pci8086,2916</string> <--- add 2916 here
			<string>pci8086,2811</string>
			<string>pci8086,2815</string>
			<string>pci8086,27b9</string>
			<string>pci8086,27bd</string>
			<string>pci8086,2670</string>
			<string>pci8086,8119</string>
			<string>pci8086,2916</string>
			<string>pci8086,3a18</string>
			<string>pci10de,aac</string>
			<string>pci10de,aae</string>
			<string>pci10de,aaf</string>
		</array>

Install your modified AppleLPC.kext using Kext Utility

This would help your computer to sleep and eliminate "CST evaluation failed" warning :D

Mod.AppleLPC.kext.zip

I have no problems with this but I assume this is an interaction of the kernel method used and vid card.

For me EFI string + BFG 7900GS works great.

-vividvew

Is there any particular reason for using EFI string instead of Kext file?

I don't know if this is SL problem or EFI string problem, but there is more little "things" to be fixed in my configuration. When I go to Dashboard [F12] - sometimes I see some white boxes around, some glitches comes from graphic card. I didn't have that type of problems using Leopard.

Is there any 64-bit kext for my GFX so I can test it instead of GFX string?

My graphic card: EVGA 8800GTS 640Mb

Here's SilentNatit.kext.x86_64.zip for nVidia

Thanks again

I'm testing this Kext now - and what I can say is that Monitor Calibration doesn' work... :tomato: same story.... and there is one more problematic thing with this Kext - Expose works very very slow.... seems like there is some problem with acceleration or something like that...

So, basically - this Kext is not a good sollution, EFI string works better - the only thing I have to make it work is Monitor Calibration - and this is really urgent for me because I'm a some kind of a graphic designer.

Is there any other solution perhaps? Or maybe there is somebody with 8800GTS 640 with the same problem? Remember - everything was ok with Leopard - my configuration is exactly the same.

One more thing - I tried to import my previous "calibrated" profile to SL but it doesn't work ether. Its changing something a little bit.. but - it doesn't work properly.... :police: seems like SL will be very problematic for the next couple of months...

I'm curious to try this :

Preferences > Displays > Color > Calibrate > "determine your native gamma" > move the slider

and it works like it supposed to be ..

OpenHaltRestart fixes the shutdown/restart (had this kext already) but when the computer tries to sleep, he only turns off completly with the dsdt usb fix but won't wake then... the lpc doesn't change anything.

Have you installed SleepEnabler.kext?

I'm curious to try this :

Preferences > Displays > Color > Calibrate > "determine your native gamma" > move the slider

and it works like it supposed to be ...

Maybe the problem is related to some particular file.... hmm... no idea, but I'm still trying to find out....

I see that I have 2 copies of DSDT file - one inside Extra and one in root directory... I don't know why I did it but anyway - what is the proper location of this file? Is that any difference if the file is inside Extra or not? Or maybe it depends on Chameleon version? Main is RC1

waveman777,

Have you tried OX86 Tools? choose "Custom Geforce Hex" for your card. Run the osx86 tools from 10.5

;) Something must be completely wrong with my system... Everything was perfect in Leopard...

I don't know if OSX86Tools work properly in SL or not - but I have nothing more then errors...

Maybe there was something wrong with the distro I used for installation?

It was "MAC.OSX.SNOW.LEOPARD.V10.6-HOTiSO"

;) Something must be completely wrong with my system... Everything was perfect in Leopard...

I don't know if OSX86Tools work properly in SL or not - but I have nothing more then errors...

Maybe there was something wrong with the distro I used for installation?

It was "MAC.OSX.SNOW.LEOPARD.V10.6-HOTiSO"

Theres nothing wrong with that... did you install it via OSInstall.mpkg? Did you deselect all printer drivers etc. so that there's no error at the end of the installation? If you had an error try to reinstall the BSD.pkg (same directory as osinstall.mpkg).

Theres nothing wrong with that... did you install it via OSInstall.mpkg? Did you deselect all printer drivers etc. so that there's no error at the end of the installation? If you had an error try to reinstall the BSD.pkg (same directory as osinstall.mpkg).

I've installed via OSInstall.mpkg of course with deselected printer drivers and languages. No errors at the end. BSD.pkg installed as well. You can't "Repair Permission" without it.

I've no idea what to do next... Maybe I should try again and do completely new and clean installation...

Sleep still does not work - any comments?

Dear guys,

I have to say, that I am very happy, that everyone - especially Ricola - is trying to help to fix each issue.

One question I have furthermore: does your Sleep function really work?

When I choose Sleep from the Apple menu, my screen gets dark (no signal on DVI output anymore),

but the fans are still spinning and I have to reboot.

I already tried the advises in this thread but no success.

Ricola, are you able to put your computer into sleep? ;)

Thanks!

Boundone

Hi Boundone,

Sorry for a late reply, today I just did a fresh install of SL using my guide (renew :P) .. all with the same file except I added AppleLPC.kext (with Abit IP35-Pro LPC DEV ID's inserted : <string>pci8086,2916</string>) place it in Extra ... all went smooth ... then I go to System Preferences > Energy Saver > put the Display and Computer to sleep in 1 minute (the lowest possible) ... wait one minute ... and my screen went black(sleep) ... go check the CPU (under the desk) open the case side panel .. the fan case & HSF still spinning (the computer didn't sleep :)) ... I move the mouse and the display signal showed up(normal) ... So only the display does sleep(and wakes) but the computer doesn't .

-ricola

Waveman777,

OSX86 Tools not running in 10.6, so run it from 10.5.8 to grab your custom GFX string :D

I made completely new and fresh install from Retail DVD on a separate drive - everything went perfect without any problems. Before that I made my own custom GFX string. I tried to calibrate my monitor again - and it DOESN'T work... But my video card works perfect, Expose and everything works fantastic and really fast... ? Is it because of monitor?? Everything was fine in Leopard... I'm stuck and I completely don't understand what is going on!? Can you believe that?

Look at the screenshot for more details about my monitor and GFX.

Thanks.....

I'm thrilled to see this guide, because I have the same mobo: IP-35 Pro, C2D E8400, GeForce 7300SE.

I'm steeling myself for my first hackintosh attempt, so I don't have an existing OSX install on this machine. I haven't been able to find an IP-35 Pro guide for initial install, and am a bit overwhelmed by all the different alternatives. I was thinking of using the iPC 10.5.6 distro, because it's mentioned in the HCL. Once I get that running, I'd follow your guide. Does this sound like a reasonable approach? Or might there be an easier way?

Thanks!

Thank you ricola!

Finally managed to install Snow, thanks to your renewed guide. I replaced only the DSDT with a custom one.

Process was smooth except panics within 1-2 minutes after logging into system. Ran Kext Utility on Extra/Extensions and now... I'm writing this post from Snow x64.

@redgum: Installed Snow from iPC's 10.5.6 here so go for it. Can't go wrong with ricola's guide.

Paul

Hi Boundone,

Sorry for a late reply, today I just did a fresh install of SL using my guide (renew ;)) .. all with the same file except I added AppleLPC.kext (with Abit IP35-Pro LPC DEV ID's inserted : <string>pci8086,2916</string>) place it in Extra ... all went smooth ... then I go to System Preferences > Energy Saver > put the Display and Computer to sleep in 1 minute (the lowest possible) ... wait one minute ... and my screen went black(sleep) ... go check the CPU (under the desk) open the case side panel .. the fan case & HSF still spinning (the computer didn't sleep ;)) ... I move the mouse and the display signal showed up(normal) ... So only the display does sleep(and wakes) but the computer doesn't .

-ricola

Same behaviour as I have... automatic sleep doesn't work and normal sleep only works with faking ICH10R usb but wake from sleep never works (and also never worked in leopard).

waveman777 - that strange .. do you have another monitor to test?

No Ricola... I don't have any other LCD to test it...

But it must be some explanation... must be.. I believe.

So, let me ask you a question - Is there any .kext file in your guide which is related in some way with the GFX? If there is - maybe I should try to use different .kext files? I don't think so but... always better to ask.

I know that Apple change the System gamma from 1.8 to 2.2 but it shouldn't be a reason. I thing that Color Calibration should work the same way. But if I can't see any difference moving gamma slider from left to right - something MUST be wrong... I'll keep reading about it.

One more question about GFX Efi string. I've tried 3 of them - there are all different sizes... strange... Anytime I use typical or custom Efi string the only difference I can see is the GFX name in System Profiler. There are all works fine I suppose. I don't know how the EFI strong is really created - but what I think is that the only important thing making Custom EFI string is to set the proper memory size and the outputs [DVI/DVI for example]. So basically I can't change any other settings. which is probably ok because its stupid to mess with the other settings ;) But my GFX [EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB KO AC3] is a little bit different from the other nVidia cards. Its factory overclocked, but once again - I don't think that this is the problem, Am I right? So - why the different EFI strings for the same! GFX are so different from the other? Even the EFI string from EFI_Studio 1.0 and 1.1 are different for the same card... Anyway - they are all work fine...

I don't want to try using some kind of a nVidia injector .kext because as far as I know - the EFI string is the best way. But if I'll find any other .kext for that - I'll try anyway.

If you guys have ANY idea, whatever you have on your mind... please let me know.

Thanks

I'm thrilled to see this guide, because I have the same mobo: IP-35 Pro, C2D E8400, GeForce 7300SE.

I'm steeling myself for my first hackintosh attempt, so I don't have an existing OSX install on this machine. I haven't been able to find an IP-35 Pro guide for initial install, and am a bit overwhelmed by all the different alternatives. I was thinking of using the iPC 10.5.6 distro, because it's mentioned in the HCL. Once I get that running, I'd follow your guide. Does this sound like a reasonable approach? Or might there be an easier way?

Thanks!

Hi Redgum - yes sure, and distro's are the easier way :)

Thank you ricola!

Finally managed to install Snow, thanks to your renewed guide. I replaced only the DSDT with a custom one.

Process was smooth except panics within 1-2 minutes after logging into system. Ran Kext Utility on Extra/Extensions and now... I'm writing this post from Snow x64.

Paul

You're welcome Paul :D

So, let me ask you a question - Is there any .kext file in your guide which is related in some way with the GFX? If there is - maybe I should try to use different .kext files? I don't think so but... always better to ask.

No, I'm not using any different kext for GFX

One more question about GFX Efi string. I've tried 3 of them - there are all different sizes... strange... Anytime I use typical or custom Efi string the only difference I can see is the GFX name in System Profiler. There are all works fine I suppose. I don't know how the EFI strong is really created - but what I think is that the only important thing making Custom EFI string is to set the proper memory size and the outputs [DVI/DVI for example]. So basically I can't change any other settings. which is probably ok because its stupid to mess with the other settings :) But my GFX [EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB KO AC3] is a little bit different from the other nVidia cards. Its factory overclocked, but once again - I don't think that this is the problem, Am I right? So - why the different EFI strings for the same! GFX are so different from the other? Even the EFI string from EFI_Studio 1.0 and 1.1 are different for the same card... Anyway - they are all work fine...

Have you tried Aquamac method?

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...=509&page=1

http://rapidshare.com/files/149469238/gfxu...00_GTS.zip.html

-ricola

Ok running into a new problem! Snow Leopard refuses to boot sometimes. I have tried using Chameleon RC1, RC2 and the other boot installer you just recently added to the how-to. When SL refuses to boot, I have to cycle power to get it to successfully boot again. Hitting the reset button causes the same result to happen on next reboot.

I've attached a picture of where it stops at: It doensn't stop exactly there every time. Sometimes it stops a few lines before, sometimes it stops at "Waiting for device".

This only affects SL. I am able to boot Windows every time without any issue. I don't have a Leopard install to test atm.

post-168060-1252170318_thumb.jpg