 [GUIDE] SNOW on Abit IP35-Pro! (ICH9-R)

ricola

360 posts in this topic

Hi Vividview,

Your com.apple.boot.plist will look something like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>boot-uuid=PASTE_YOUR_UUID_HERE</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>PASTE_YOUR_GFX_STRING_HERE</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Here's DSDT.aml and com.apple.boot.plist (with 7900GS GFX String)

vvv.zip

Hey, I used your DSDT.aml in the guide and do not use my own. I tried to make my own,

but got errors in the use of "DSDT Patcher":

./dsdt_fixed.txt  5819:						 Store (GAHS (0x00), Local6)
Error	4060 -			Called method returns no value ^ 

Shall I ignore it and force to compile one?

Thanks for your help!

Boundone

Ah, I got it up and running! It is really an improvement with many changes underneath.

I think, everybody should compile their own DSDT file. Even on the same motherboard

there are differences.

Thanks again, Ricola, for your great guide and personal support!

Boundone

When I was making dsdt_fixed.txt for you I got 1 error and a few warnings, is it normal? So the only way to compile DSDT.aml file is to use -f option to force it, is that correct?

This is the same, that I got when compiling it: 4 warnings and 1 error.

Nevertheless, it could be patched and runs oob.

Boundone

ricola,

Thank you very much for the help.

Still no joy. Now I am starting to think it is not because of DSDT.aml

At boot none of the kext in Extra are loading. All are giving errors.

I still cannot get step 11 to work without errors. I thought I got around this by using Kext Utility but maybe not. As KP is from AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement is assume that this means NullCPUPowerManagement is not doing it's job because it is not loading.

attaching output from kextcache and pic of KP.

kextcache_KP.zip

SUCCESS!!!

At least with -x32 but this is what I wanted anyway as vmware does not support 64bit SL kernel.

I just taking a guess here that you did your install from an earlier build of SL. I am doing this from Leopard. I don't think that kextcache can work correctly on 64bit SL kext when done from 32bit Leopard. Used alternate method.

touch /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions
touch /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/

Off to go check out all the little details like CI,QE,audio,Network, etc

Still not working :)

I recompiled my DSDT a third time, no difference. Deleted my Extensions.mkext, replaced it, no difference.

I've attached my DSDT files from DSDT_Patcher1

Hopefully someone can give me a hand? I can't seem to make a working version.

Are you still getting errors when doing

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions

If so the DSDT.aml may not be your problem. Take a look at my last post to get around this problem if you are doing install from Leopard or Tiger.

If you could post a screen shot of the KP screen that might help. For me the KP message was not he key. The key was the kext load failures a dozen or so lines above the KP message.

Are you still getting errors when doing

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions

If so the DSDT.aml may not be your problem. Take a look at my last post to get around this problem if you are doing install from Leopard or Tiger.

If you could post a screen shot of the KP screen that might help. For me the KP message was not he key. The key was the kext load failures a dozen or so lines above the KP message.

I do get a million errors when running that command. I tried your alternate method of just touching those two directories, but I still had the same error when booting. Would running the kextcache command corrupt anything from Leopard?

I do get a million errors when running that command. I tried your alternate method of just touching those two directories, but I still had the same error when booting. Would running the kextcache command corrupt anything from Leopard?

Well if you deleted it and then used Leopard to make a new one that got errors, maybe. Not that much of a guru to say for sure.

The key to find out if that is your problem is whether you see load errors for the kext in Extra during SL boot. For me pretty much every kext in Extra was not loading correctly during boot and this caused KP for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. Once the kext errors went away so did KP.

Well if you deleted it and then used Leopard to make a new one that got errors, maybe. Not that much of a guru to say for sure.

The key to find out if that is your problem is whether you see load errors for the kext in Extra during SL boot. For me pretty much every kext in Extra was not loading correctly during boot and this caused KP for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. Once the kext errors went away so did KP.

Not sure how to even see the log. Once the KP happens, it clears the screen before displaying (using -v). I can't scroll to see what it failed on. The KP itself doesn't give any hints to what the error was involving...

During the load prior however I wasn't seeing errors about kexts not loading, so I really can't be sure.

Not sure how to even see the log. Once the KP happens, it clears the screen before displaying (using -v). I can't scroll to see what it failed on. The KP itself doesn't give any hints to what the error was involving...

During the load prior however I wasn't seeing errors about kexts not loading, so I really can't be sure.

You know I'm typing this on my macbook which is running snow leopard currently... I'm going to run that kext cache command from here and see if it makes a difference.

You know I'm typing this on my macbook which is running snow leopard currently... I'm going to run that kext cache command from here and see if it makes a difference.

That would be worth a shot. If you can get a screen shot of the KP that would help a lot. There really should be more than just a hex mem address. The calling process should be listed as well.

Also try -x32 just to see if it works or if you get a different KP message. For me the two KP messages were about the same just that the 64bit one has longer hex mem addresses in KP message.

That would be worth a shot. If you can get a screen shot of the KP that would help a lot. There really should be more than just a hex mem address. The calling process should be listed as well.

Also try -x32 just to see if it works or if you get a different KP message. For me the two KP messages were about the same just that the 64bit one has longer hex mem addresses in KP message.

You were completely right! I still get a KP, but I guess the string of lines I was seeing prior were errors about kexts. After running the kextcache cmd from my SL install, I rebooted and it looks more normal.

I now get a KP loading AppleAHCIPort. I've attached a snapshot the the error, please pardon the blurriness and the SIZE...

Also two errors earlier about jmicronATA not found and applehdacontroller not found...

post-168060-1251651087_thumb.jpg

You were completely right! I still get a KP, but I guess the string of lines I was seeing prior were errors about kexts. After running the kextcache cmd from my SL install, I rebooted and it looks more normal.

I now get a KP loading AppleAHCIPort. I've attached a snapshot the the error, please pardon the blurriness and the SIZE...

KP appears to be from the NTFS kext. Looks like you have a windows drive hooked up. Try disconnecting it and booting.

I am overwhelmed, how incredibly fast an OS can be! :)

Thanks to all for you help! You made my day!

One only minor issue is, that my system does not wake up after it went to sleep.

@ricola: Does it work for you?

All the best!

Boundone

@Boundone : ur welcome, and my computer wake up after sleep, only if it sleep by itself, not by  menu.

SUCCESS!!!

At least with -x32 but this is what I wanted anyway as vmware does not support 64bit SL kernel.

I just taking a guess here that you did your install from an earlier build of SL. I am doing this from Leopard. I don't think that kextcache can work correctly on 64bit SL kext when done from 32bit Leopard. Used alternate method.

touch /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions
touch /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/

Off to go check out all the little details like CI,QE,audio,Network, etc

@vividvew : LAN, AUDIO, NETWORK should be ok, but what about your QE/CI? did the boot.plist work for you? can you change resolution?

@mattswell : try to rebuild mkext in /Extra using Kext Utility and dont't touch anything inside S/L/E yet 'coz their mkext are just fine.

dsdt_mattswell_editted.zip

@vividvew : LAN, AUDIO, NETWORK should be ok, but what about your QE/CI? did the boot.plist work for you? can you change resolution?

Both NICs work perfectly.

Audio - Still need to try another kext and test as I only use optical not colored jacks.

Video - Didn't have a lot of time to test but can change resolution all the way up to 2560x1600. So Dual link DVI is working as expected. Expose is fast enough that I *think* CI/QE are working. Vid card is recognized correctly so 99% sure I am good.

Tied up with some work related stuff right now so can't test further for a few hours. Will post back once everything is confirmed.

Ouch! No windows / SL dual boot?

Well maybe, maybe not. Is your windows on another partition or separate physical disk? It's really just a test to confirm that you would be able to boot if NTFS was not giving problems. I will be getting to that shortly but started off with simplest setup I could with windows drive disconnected. I keep windows on another drive and will test that in next few days.

You mentioned Jmicron controller too. I have this disable in the BIOS as I don't have anything hookup to it and it's just one less thing to cause a problem.

Well maybe, maybe not. Is your windows on another partition or separate physical disk? It's really just a test to confirm that you would be able to boot if NTFS was not giving problems. I will be getting to that shortly but started off with simplest setup I could with windows drive disconnected. I keep windows on another drive and will test that in next few days.

You mentioned Jmicron controller too. I have this disable in the BIOS as I don't have anything hookup to it and it's just one less thing to cause a problem.

I've got the worst possible setup probably... I have 4 internal drives and 1 external drive. The internal drives are:

2 in Apple software raid - media storage, was playing with apple raid when i set this up.

1 time machine backup

1 split between MAIN osx OS and Windows 7

external drive - split between my test OS (SL at the moment) and a NTFS backup scratch partiton.

The external is esata so I do use jmicron. this is also the drive i am booting from... if jmicron isn't loading correctly, can I even properly boot an OS from a drive connected to the jmicron controller?

i'm about to open up the PC and disconnect all the internal drives as well as remove my ntfs scratch partition. i'll boot then and see if it's working.

I've got the worst possible setup probably... I have 4 internal drives and 1 external drive. The internal drives are:

2 in Apple software raid - media storage, was playing with apple raid when i set this up.

1 time machine backup

1 split between MAIN osx OS and Windows 7

external drive - split between my test OS (SL at the moment) and a NTFS backup scratch partiton.

The external is esata so I do use jmicron. this is also the drive i am booting from... if jmicron isn't loading correctly, can I even properly boot an OS from a drive connected to the jmicron controller?

i'm about to open up the PC and disconnect all the internal drives as well as remove my ntfs scratch partition. i'll boot then and see if it's working.

ugg. ok. I can't really speak to the eSATA as I have never even tried to get it to work in Leo. Tho I know it works for ppl.

For me I have 3 SATA(2HD + SATA DVD) all hooked up to Intel controller and nothing else.

I would say at the least try kill the NTFS partition on the SL drive if possible. Might need to hook it up to Intel controller but if kernel even tries to load this *may* mean that Jmicron is working. Not sure about last part.

ugg. ok. I can't really speak to the eSATA as I have never even tried to get it to work in Leo. Tho I know it works for ppl.

For me I have 3 SATA(2HD + SATA DVD) all hooked up to Intel controller and nothing else.

I would say at the least try kill the NTFS partition on the SL drive if possible. Might need to hook it up to Intel controller but if kernel even tries to load this *may* mean that Jmicron is working. Not sure about last part.

OK... interesting results.

Removing all NTFS partitions/drives + Snow on JMicron - FAIL

Removing all NTFS partitions/drives + Snow on internal Intel - FAIL

Can't seem to get past this AppleAHCIPort failure.

Next step I will try is to start over from scratch.

OK... interesting results.

Removing all NTFS partitions/drives + Snow on JMicron - FAIL

Removing all NTFS partitions/drives + Snow on internal Intel - FAIL

Can't seem to get past this AppleAHCIPort failure.

Next step I will try is to start over from scratch.

It boots! I could not perform the kextcache step from my MacBook running Snow Leopard... It rejected all the invalid kexts as vividview was experiencing earlier. I used the kext utility instead. Sound does not appear to be working... I noticed errors at boot time about AppleHDA. I also use digital out for my sound, so I'll have to play with it some...

When I installed Chameleon RC1 - I see that Extra folder is inside .Chameleon folder - not Root! Is this ok? Should I leave it like this? Or should I move the Extra folder from .Chameleon to Root directory?

The other question is about part 5 "5. Replace boot file in Snow root with the one you download". - I don't have such a file in my Root. I see all hidden files - buto no "boot", so I can't replace it. The only thing I can do is to copy a new one there. Did I make something wrong? What is the difference between original "boot" file from Chameleon RC1 and yours?

btw - what I'm trying to do is to install it on a RAID using this tutorial: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=160467

I did it before with Leopard - no problems. But now I'm stuck... When I try to run SL the only thing I got is - "Can't find mach_kernel" or something like that...

Any ideas?

It boots! I could not perform the kextcache step from my MacBook running Snow Leopard... It rejected all the invalid kexts as vividview was experiencing earlier. I used the kext utility instead. Sound does not appear to be working... I noticed errors at boot time about AppleHDA. I also use digital out for my sound, so I'll have to play with it some...

€: if you want to use the optical out, you have to use a different LegacyHDA.kext, the one ricola included in his package lists 2 line-outs and no digital out. So use the kext in the folder "3outs2ins regular headphone" from this package to have a working digital out.

I used the HDA that black suggested here and my optical works. Tho I no longer get DTS pass through from VLC. Will have to look into that.

When I installed Chameleon RC1 - I see that Extra folder is inside .Chameleon folder - not Root! Is this ok? Should I leave it like this? Or should I move the Extra folder from .Chameleon to Root directory?

The other question is about part 5 "5. Replace boot file in Snow root with the one you download". - I don't have such a file in my Root. I see all hidden files - buto no "boot", so I can't replace it. The only thing I can do is to copy a new one there. Did I make something wrong? What is the difference between original "boot" file from Chameleon RC1 and yours?

I am guessing he just went to a newer version of PC_EFI than comes with RC1. The Extra folder was in root when I did this.

btw - what I'm trying to do is to install it on a RAID using this tutorial: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=160467

I did it before with Leopard - no problems. But now I'm stuck... When I try to run SL the only thing I got is - "Can't find mach_kernel" or something like that...

Any ideas?

Sorry the only software RAID I know anything about is linux. I can say this. I think it is an exceedingly bad idea to use software raid as a boot device under any OS. I think this should only be done on hardware RAID where the OS just see one block device.

Anyone know how to check QE/CI in SL? The lines in System Profile that you check in Leo are not there for me.

Unsure if this is b/c of EFI method which I never used in Leo or if there is another way to check in SL.

attaching screen shot of system profile in SL.

post-168005-1251661980_thumb.png

Sorry the only software RAID I know anything about is linux. I can say this. I think it is an exceedingly bad idea to use software raid as a boot device under any OS. I think this should only be done on hardware RAID where the OS just see one block device.

As I said before - I did it before - Software RAID was working without any problems and it was very very fast. About 200 Mb/s read and write.

Do you have an idea what means "Can't find mach_kernel" error? Do you know which file is responsible for this?

As I said before - I did it before - Software RAID was working without any problems and it was very very fast. About 200 Mb/s read and write.

Do you have an idea what means "Can't find mach_kernel" error? Do you know which file is responsible for this?

That is the kernel itself. The file is "mach_kernel". This is the bootloader giving you a file not found error.

@vividview using that LegacyHDA kext enabled digital, it works! Haven't tested anything with DTS or AC3 yet.

@ricola thanks for the guide! your copy of the DSDT had my audio enabled (mine worked, but audio was completely missing)

If anyone cares, I am running bios v14.

I think you are going to have to find a guide on booting from a software raid with chameleon and mesh it with this guide

like this one: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=160467