 [GUIDE] SNOW on Abit IP35-Pro! (ICH9-R)

ricola

360 posts in this topic

Mattswell,

boot with : -s

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

update_dyld_shared_cache

reboot

-ricola

Mattswell,

boot with : -s

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

update_dyld_shared_cache

reboot

-ricola

Alright! It tooks me about 20 tries to get it to boot (aparently booting into windows and then rebooting to osx speeds things up)

I had to add a step before kextcache: chown / root

Thanks ricola!

Can anyone who successfully installed SL on IP35-E write a quick tutorial, or help us out here.

I tried installing it from my thumb drive, but it crashes at the bootloader once it starts the installation.

I assume it's because IP35-E doesn't have AHCI option in BIOS.

Any help appreciated!

Hello I have a ip35-e and I have tried everything to get this to work. I have followed your guide and a lot of other peoples perfectly and I cant get it to work.

My system starts and goes to the chameleon gui and then I boot with -v and in 32 bit mode. then it scrolls through the kexts and then goes to a blank screen and reboots. Please someone help me I am freaking out. I can't take this any more. I have been trying this for 3 days. I need to get this so I can sleep and stop stressing about it. Please someone help me out.

I have a Ip35 (regular) and i have the exact same problem. Running vanilla 10.5.8 flawlessly now and i really don't get what's going on :? Tried numerous guides, but it just keeps after loading a lot of kexts and system automatically restarts before booting the kernel, Anyone got an idea?

I have a Ip35 (regular) and i have the exact same problem.

@triptolemos - IP35 has same chipset (ICH-9R) with IP35-Pro, so you can try my guide here with some exceptions :

• Create your own DSDT.aml (search this forum on how-to)
  • Use modded IONetworkingFamily.kext you can find in here or here.
  • Boot SL with your proc speed set to default.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183667 Kevin87 got SL running with his IP35-E :(

Hi all,...

Ricola Thanks for this guide.

First of all, sorry for my bad English!

I have no specific hardware that you have, but this guide worked well for me.

My hardware is detailed in my signature, but important details as below:

• MSI P35-Platinum Motherboard

• Chipset P35/ICH9R

• Intel C2D E6550 2.43GHz

• Memory 4 x 1GB DDR2

• VGA Geforce 8600GT 256MB [Efi String]

• HDD Hitachi S-ATAII 500GB [set Sata=AHCI in BIOS, Guid Partition Table]

Before trying this guide always gave me an error like the following KP "Panic (cpu 0 caller 0x ... ..)".

I think that was solved when installing the "EFI10.1 boot" with the application that you point us.

I think when I copied by hand was not doing well.

Furthermore, the installation of "SL" from "L" functional, always gave me error near the end.

The solution eliminate the printer setup packages during the instalation.

Use for the beginning of my SL:

• DSDT.aml corrected with "DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e"

• Kext: fakesmc.kext, IOAHCIBlockStorageInyector.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, PlataformUUID.kext

• com.apple.Boot.plist

and

• smbios.plist

But it is not very stable with the 64bit kernel, occasionally crashes the system with the famous KP "Panic (cpu 0 caller 0x ... ..)".

I haven't a pattern that makes the system crash, but it happens I'm always open "Safari".

On the other hand, I find no difference when you start the 32bit kernel with the flag "-arch = x86_32" to boot "SL".

In the System monitor all processes appear in "(64 bit)" less "iTunes" and "usbmuxd".

Now I'll try to make changes to my audio chip ACL888 with the manual included in the "zip".

Greetings and thanks for sharing.

@triptolemos - IP35 has same chipset (ICH-9R) with IP35-Pro, so you can try my guide here with some exceptions :

• Create your own DSDT.aml (search this forum on how-to)
  • Use modded IONetworkingFamily.kext you can find in here or here.
  • Boot SL with your proc speed set to default.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183667 Kevin87 got SL running with his IP35-E :(

Hi Ricola,

Thanks for the help m8! I did all those things . Compiled my own dsdt and modified it to prevent CMOS bug, edited networking kexts (like i needed to do for Leopard as well) and my processor speed is set to default in bios (2833 Mhz). It's a really weird issue :)

Hi MaCaCoLoCo, you're welcome :( and thanks for using my guide.

Btw to eliminate KP's I suggest you do this :

• Install BSD.pkg. Mount your snow.dmg or snow DVD. Terminal :
    open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/BSD.pkg
    install and restart.
  • Rebuild mkext using Kext Utility
    restart
  • Terminal :
    update_dyld_shared_cache
    diskutil repairpermissions /
    restart

-ricola

Hi@Ricola. Yes - I've tried aquamac method. and the Efi string works perfect - like the other one.... So - I don't think that the EFI string is the problem... hmm

There is another thing I've found out. Maybe it will help us to find out the solution.

- When I run "Display Calibrator Assistant" and use Expert Mode - when I try to move sliders to extreme edges - I can see that the color of the MOUSE CURSOR is changing a little bit!!!! So - now we have something!! - Seems like the Calibration process works, but not well. The only thing is changing is cursor - but the background and everything stay exactly the same... Si I believe that it must be something in the system which is locked or something...

Please, try to do the same and use completely extreme color settings to check if it works....

This issue really makes me crazy.....

PS. There is one more step I did - I've tried to use 3rd-party calibration software - like SuperCal_1.1.4 and what I found - the same issue - the only thing which reacts is a mouse cursor outline, nothing more... background and icons and dock - stays the same..... Do you really think that it might be related to GFX Efi string?

Hi MaCaCoLoCo, you're welcome :) and thanks for using my guide.

Btw to eliminate KP's I suggest you do this :

Ricola, thank you for the guide.

Regarding your suggestion, the package is already installed in "SL", was installed when I installed the "SO".

Question:

Reinstall it?

Or if already installed, continues with the other 2 steps?

I hope your comments to proceed.

Another thing to note is that in the "dmesg" shows me a warning, and the error microphone with "VoodooHDA.kext"

DSMOS has arrived

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Ethernet address 00:19:db:64:5b:6b

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

Enclosed is my "dmesg" complete, just in case.

dmesgSL10.6x64.txt

Thanks for sharing.

Please, try to do the same and use completely extreme color settings to check if it works....
waveman777 - It works here ..
Question:

Reinstall it?

Or if already installed, continues with the other 2 steps?

MaCaCoLoCo - If you can run Repair Permissions from Disk Utility without error there's no reason to Reinstall it
Another thing to note is that in the "dmesg" shows me a warning, and the error microphone with "VoodooHDA.kext"

DSMOS has arrived

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Ethernet address 00:19:db:64:5b:6b

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

Sorry, I can't help you with VoodooHDA :(. About WARNING - LPC device initialization failed .. read here, maybe could solve the problem :)

Hi. I don't know if this is a problem or not but when I boot [-v mode] I see something like that:

"Not loading kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAcontroller - not found and kextd not available in early boot"

Do you guys have an idea what to do with it? Is it normal? Or maybe it affects the whole System in some way?

Hi. I don't know if this is a problem or not but when I boot [-v mode] I see something like that:

"Not loading kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAcontroller - not found and kextd not available in early boot"

Do you guys have an idea what to do with it? Is it normal? Or maybe it affects the whole System in some way?

There are 2 Extensions.mkext in Hack SL

1. from E/E = /Extra/Extensions.mkext

2. from S/L/E = /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

the 'not loading' message because LegacyHDA(load earlier) looking for AppleHDA that's not load yet, it's normal.

But if it bother you, do this in terminal :

sudo -s

chown 0:0 /

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions

reboot

will create a join Extensions.mkext from 2 place in /Extra, check on the size :D

-ricola

Hello I have a ip35-e and I have tried everything to get this to work. I have followed your guide and a lot of other peoples perfectly and I cant get it to work.

My system starts and goes to the chameleon gui and then I boot with -v and in 32 bit mode. then it scrolls through the kexts and then goes to a blank screen and reboots. Please someone help me I am freaking out. I can't take this any more. I have been trying this for 3 days. I need to get this so I can sleep and stop stressing about it. Please someone help me out.

Hi Kevin87,

I have the same problem on an Abit IP35 (no -E or -Pro), does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? I've followed the guide (thanks ricola!) more or less to the letter, having replaced DSDT.aml with my own generated from the DSDT Patcher GUI

Could it be an incorrect EFI graphics string? I took the one I'm using from EFIStudio, but I have a Sapphire x1950 512MB and the graphics string I used is for an X1900XT..

Any help appreciated.

Lewis

MaCaCoLoCo - If you can run Repair Permissions from Disk Utility without error there's no reason to Reinstall it

Sorry, I can't help you with VoodooHDA ;). About WARNING - LPC device initialization failed .. read here, maybe could solve the problem :)

Dear ricola,

The solution suggested by you, about the "AppleLPC.kext", has had no effect. Unfortunately I still displays the message "WARNING". : (

On the other hand, I commented that the "KP", hanging the system failed to appear.

Thank god. :D

I believe have found a temporary solution to the problem of "KP".

When starting the SL (when working desktop appears) should I leave it without doing anything until you read the "HDD" for the first time (about 15sec).

After that I have run the "Ps" (5 files - 50MB x file), "Ai" (7 files - 150MB x file), "Br", "safari", "ichat", "terminal", "itunes", all at the same time and so far the system no has crashed with the "KP" in question.

So Time Machine works perfect.

Moreover, I made the test of whether my system supports OpenCL and here are the results. :P

bash-3.2# ./oclinfo 
1 OpenCL platform found!

[Platform 0]
Name: 		Apple
Vendor: 	Apple
Version: 	OpenCL 1.0 (Jul 15 2009 23:07:32)
Profile: 	FULL_PROFILE

[OpenCL-only Context]
2 OpenCL devices found!

[Device 0]
Name: 			GeForce 8600 GT
Vendor: 		NVIDIA
Type: 			GPU 
Device Version: 	OpenCL 1.0
Driver Version: 	CLH 1.0
Compute Units: 		32
Work Group Size: 	512
Clock: 			1312 MHz
Global Memory: 		256 MB
Local Memory: 		16 KB
Cache Size: 		0 KB
Cache Line Size: 	0 Bytes
Available: 		Yes
Double-Precision: 	No
Extensions: 
			cl_khr_byte_addressable_store
			cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics
			cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics
			cl_APPLE_gl_sharing
			cl_APPLE_SetMemObjectDestructor
			cl_APPLE_ContextLoggingFunctions

[Device 1]
Name: 			Intel® Core(tm)2 Duo CPU     E6550  @ 2.33GHz
Vendor: 		Intel
Type: 			CPU 
Driver Version: 	1.0
Compute Units: 		2
Work Group Size: 	1
Clock: 			2436 MHz
Global Memory (Total): 	4096 MB
Global Memory (Host): 	3072 MB
Global Memory (PCIe): 	1024 MB
Cache Size: 		4096 KB
Cache Line Size: 	64 Bytes
Double-Precision: 	Yes
Extensions: 
			cl_khr_fp64
			cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics
			cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics
			cl_APPLE_gl_sharing

[shared OpenCL+OpenGL Context]
2 OpenCL devices found!

[Device 0]
Name: 			GeForce 8600 GT
Vendor: 		NVIDIA
Type: 			GPU 
Driver Version: 	CLH 1.0
Compute Units: 		32
Work Group Size: 	512
Clock: 			1312 MHz
Global Memory: 		256 MB
Cache Size: 		0 KB
Cache Line Size: 	0 Bytes
Double-Precision: 	No
Extensions: 
			cl_APPLE_gl_sharing

[Device 1]
Name: 			Intel® Core(tm)2 Duo CPU     E6550  @ 2.33GHz
Vendor: 		Intel
Type: 			CPU 
Driver Version: 	1.0
Compute Units: 		2
Work Group Size: 	1
Clock: 			2436 MHz
Global Memory (Total): 	4096 MB
Global Memory (Host): 	3072 MB
Global Memory (PCIe): 	1024 MB
Cache Size: 		4096 KB
Cache Line Size: 	64 Bytes
Double-Precision: 	Yes
Extensions: 
			cl_khr_fp64
			cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics
			cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics
			cl_APPLE_gl_sharing

bash-3.2# 

At the moment the system is stable, but I will keep you all who have hardware similar to mine.

Fundamental fact, I have deserted the option to "rest" of my "Hack".

Greetings and thanks for sharing.

First, thanks for this great thread. I guess my main question is ...

1. I have 3 hdds... 2 are in RAID 0 running win7 and the new 3rd i want to be stand alone for Snow Leopard. I want to dual boot win7 and SL ... will having win7 on RAID0 give me issues, because of the RAID i won't be able to set my BIOS for AHCI???

2. I was trying to follow Lifehacker's guide ... but i'm getting a KP trying to load the installer from USB thumb drive... The AppleIntelCPUManagement seems to be the issue...I seemed to get passed that issue by copying the NullCPUManagement.kext into the Extra/Extensions folder on the thumb drive, but then it hangs with no KP and the SL installer never comes up.

3. Also, I'm running a nVidia GeForce GTX 260 with 896mb ... i don't know the efi string for it as it wasn't listed on the page linked in this post... Any idea what I should use for that?

Thanks

Hi MrSco,

1. I have 3 hdds... 2 are in RAID 0 running win7 and the new 3rd i want to be stand alone for Snow Leopard. I want to dual boot win7 and SL ... will having win7 on RAID0 give me issues, because of the RAID i won't be able to set my BIOS for AHCI???
How Leopard 10.5.x recognized your HDD ? [i asume you have Leo installed]

2. I was trying to follow Lifehacker's guide ... but i'm getting a KP trying to load the installer from USB thumb drive... The AppleIntelCPUManagement seems to be the issue...I seemed to get passed that issue by copying the NullCPUManagement.kext into the Extra/Extensions folder on the thumb drive, but then it hangs with no KP and the SL installer never comes up.
Instead of making USB Snow Installer, why don't you installed Snow to your USB? see if you can boot ;) and you can install SL to your internal HDD from your running 10.6 USB.

3. Also, I'm running a nVidia GeForce GTX 260 with 896mb ... i don't know the efi string for it as it wasn't listed on the page linked in this post... Any idea what I should use for that?
Use OSX86 Tools :

Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag > GFX Strings > Graphics Card > Custom Geforce > Enter Name > choose VRAM size > DVI-I/DVI-I >

28gx9va.jpg

Here is the guide : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1178921

-ricola

ricola, you are awesome! thanks for the quick reply...

How Leopard 10.5.x recognized your HDD ? [i asume you have Leo installed]

I prob should have mentioned that this is on a computer that is running windows 7 with no pre-existing leopard [i'm using my dell mini9 hackintosh for terminal/disk util work]

Can my win7 hardware raid and osx86 SL AHCI coexist peacefully? or will i be forced into switching bios settings each time i want to boot different os?

So with those facts in mind, what do you think is the best plan of attack?

-mrsco

MrSco,

I think SL won't boot on RAID mode nor IDE mode ;)

If I were you I will do this step :

• Set Sata = AHCI
  • Install hackintosh 10.5 distro to USB thumb.
  • Boot 10.5 from USB thumb
  • Generate GFX strings (with your card attached) + other preparation for Snow install
  • Install SL to your 3rd HDD [asumming you have Snow Install DVD]
  • If you want to switch OS you can load different Bios setting. (save/load)

-ricola

Hi Kevin87,

I have the same problem on an Abit IP35 (no -E or -Pro), does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? I've followed the guide (thanks ricola!) more or less to the letter, having replaced DSDT.aml with my own generated from the DSDT Patcher GUI

Could it be an incorrect EFI graphics string? I took the one I'm using from EFIStudio, but I have a Sapphire x1950 512MB and the graphics string I used is for an X1900XT..

Any help appreciated.

Lewis

Hi Lewis,

I am using a IP35 as well and I am experiencing the same problems (Nvidia card). Tried installing from usb stick as well as different bios settings but to no avail.

I am using a IP35 as well and I am experiencing the same problems (Nvidia card). Tried installing from usb stick as well as different bios settings but to no avail.

triptolemos, if you can succesfull boot your Snow USB installer, then your system could boot SL as well. Did you tried set sata=ahci (bios), and put your SL install hdd to 1st boot priority? from bios.

triptolemos, if you can succesfull boot your Snow USB installer, then your system could boot SL as well. Did you tried set sata=ahci (bios), and put your SL install hdd to 1st boot priority? from bios.

Hi ricola,

I can't boot my usb installer; when i don't use any flags chameleon hangs after loading the 6-7 kexts in Extra/Extensions. If I use boot flag -v or -s more kexts are loaded and system either hangs or reboots when it has loaded a lot of kexts (until ATT<something.kext>).

All my bios settings seem ok (ahci, diable bit, etc.). The weirdest thing though is I remember getting a KP on my very first attempt to install SL. However now the best I can get is reboots or stalls....

I am positive it's not your guide though, that's excellent, so thanks for that! Don't want to hijack the thread with either a very esoteric or a very simple problem so i made a post in installation forum. Prolly a long shot though B)

MrSco,

I think SL won't boot on RAID mode nor IDE mode :)

If I were you I will do this step :

• Set Sata = AHCI
  • Install hackintosh 10.5 distro to USB thumb.
  • Boot 10.5 from USB thumb
  • Generate GFX strings (with your card attached) + other preparation for Snow install
  • Install SL to your 3rd HDD [asumming you have Snow Install DVD]
  • If you want to switch OS you can load different Bios setting. (save/load)

-ricola

I'm trying this method, but its failing when running OSInstall.mpkg to install SL to my 8GB thumbdrive. Is 8GB too small?... it fails and Get Info says there is still 1GB free on thumbdrive.

Thanks again,

mrsco