 [GUIDE] SNOW on Abit IP35-Pro! (ICH9-R)

ricola

360 posts in this topic

@ricola,

Hey thanks for your guide and your update on your snow pro install... i redid the installation again and it works like a charm ;) ... as of right now i theres nothing wrong and havent gotten a KP yet... knock on wood... thanks again...

thanks

2ndx

update-

@ricola,,

KP just happen twice and both time it was when i was syncing my iphone to itunes... is this something I should be concern about?

thanks

hi Ricola

i am not sure how to run snowpro.zip, burn it to iso or what?

• You need to have a newly formatted guid partition (for snow) before proceed.
  • Unzipped SnowPro.zip : acc19l.png
  • Run SL PRO v1.0
    140g64j.jpg
  • Install Snow Leopard
  • See post #1

-ricola

Hi!

I read the whole thread (12 pages till now) and did my best to understand its contents, but I have to cry out for help :D

My Setup:

Laptop:

MacBook with Leopard

Desktop:

MB: Abit IP35 Pro

CPU: Intel® Core 2 Duo E6700

Memory: 4 x 1 GB @ 800

Graphics: Nvidia 8800 GTS 640 MB

First of all, I'm tryin to intall SL on an external drive (usb2 + esata). My frist attempts were to use the lifehacker guide, than a mix of yours and lifehacker. After reading all posts in this thread, I came to the conclusion its best to just intstall SL on the drive via my macbook exactly like in your guide.

Lifehackerguide gave me the "waiting for drive" error and KP, this changed from time to time because I tried verios combinations of the guide and yours.

My last attampt was to make all like you said in guide, with the exception to delete boot.plist, change the uuid in smbios.plist and in info.plist in the platform.kext. making a new .mkext, than installing SL on the drive without printer drivers and language files. right after but before unpluging the drive from my macbook I installed the BSD.pkg the same way as SL before (thought it might be a good idea ^^)

Now I get this error on my Desktop PC (SATA = AHCI) via eSATA, running -v -f -x32 (attached foto)

So I guess this UUID it is searching for must be in one of your files, because the uuid of the partition I installed SL is:

508B9686-CDE1-3A43-BE3F-3BB028F764C4

and this uuid is in the .plist files u mentioned.

Please help me ! ;)

post-493329-1253347381_thumb.jpg

My last attampt was to make all like you said in guide, with the exception to delete boot.plist, change the uuid in smbios.plist and in info.plist in the platform.kext. making a new .mkext, ...

Why would you delete Boot.plist? insert 508B9686-CDE1-3A43-BE3F-3BB028F764C4 to com.apple.Boot.plist and place it to /Extra folder.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>boot-uuid=508B9686-CDE1-3A43-BE3F-3BB028F764C4</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>--gfx string here--</string>
</dict>
</plist>

and it should be like this :

Waiting for boot volume with UUID 508B9686-CDE1-3A43-BE3F-3BB028F764C4

..….

..…..

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/ID...

-ricola

Why would you delete Boot.plist? insert 508B9686-CDE1-3A43-BE3F-3BB028F764C4 to com.apple.Boot.plist and place it to /Extra folder.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
 <key>Kernel</key>
 <string>mach_kernel</string>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string>boot-uuid=508B9686-CDE1-3A43-BE3F-3BB028F764C4</string>
 <key>Timeout</key>
 <string>5</string>
 <key>device-properties</key>
 <string>--gfx string here--</string>
</dict>
</plist>

and it should be like this :

Waiting for boot volume with UUID 508B9686-CDE1-3A43-BE3F-3BB028F764C4

..….

..…..

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/ID...

-ricola

I tried without it because I read it wasn't needed, somewhere in this thread. Also I tried it with the boot.plist before.

Sorry for me stupidness, this wrong uuid came from another partitionen where I tried it in a diffrent way, its now formated, and now it is waiting for the right UUID, but there is still the error

"Still waiting for root device"

Now I get this error on my Desktop PC (SATA = AHCI) via eSATA, running -v -f -x32 (attached foto)
I guess you are using External Drive via eSata port at computer back panel. Not sure this gonna help but worth to try :

set in BIOS :

Integrated Peripherals > Onboard PCI Device :

• Storage Controller - Enabled
  • Controller Mode - AHCI

Boot only with -v and see what happen :)

I did that, than used the OSX86Tools to for gfx string, copied it into *boot.plist.

I think I'm done now, I've sound and speedy gfx, the only thing is it only works at 32 bit, in 64 bit my keyboard wont work -.-

Thousand thanks to you, for your guide and your help! If you can think of anything, what I should consider or do to have a really good os x experience, please feel free to tell me ^^

Oh one question left: I can now Install those languages and printer drivers, right ?

PS: I'm posting this from my hackintosh :)

1. Boot with option -v -x
  2. Mount your Snow.dmg or DVD, from Snow type this in terminal :
    sudo -s
      chown 0:0 /
      open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/BSD.pkg
      diskutil repair permissions /

3. Update to 10.6.1 :)

-ricola

Excellent guide ricola, thank you I now have SL up and running on my Abit IP35 Pro XE after generating my own DSDT.aml in Windoze and copied it to /Extras . The only thing I needed to do differently was reinstall BSD.pkg from my existing Leopard system with Snow as the target. This is because SL was kernel panicing before I could get the BSD.pkg to complete its install. So after doing that and repairing disk permissions in SL then rebooting the system seems to be stable.

Sleep doesn't work at the moment - never did on Leopard and as I am constantly seeding torrents I'm not that bothered with it. Internal Audio is working "out the box" except there is a bit of a pop sometimes when you start using audio after an inactive period. I am hoping SL Envy 24 drivers will appear on audioevolution.com so I can go back to using my M-audio delta 44 as I was successfully on Leopard. Once again, great guide!

Hi Ricola, I hope you're still active in this thread lol.

Let me say thank you for the guide and great job on doing this.

Now, I was able to install SL and everything went surprisingly smooth. I compiled my own dsdt (using dsdt patcher) and followed everything else in your guide and everything is working well in 64 bit and everything except for one thing.

The only problem I have is that everytime I restart, my BIOS settings get reset. I have to change my SATA mode to ACHI and change my HD boot priority. Now I know someone else had this exact same problem and you said to:

1. You can fix it with dsdt editing :

Change length in RTC to 0x02, my dsdt is look like this

CODE Device (RTC)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0070, // Range Minimum
0x0070, // Range Maximum
0x04, // Alignment
0x04, // Length <--------
)
})
}
change to something like this
CODE Device (RTC)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0070, // Range Minimum
0x0070, // Range Maximum
0x04, // Alignment
0x02, // Length
)
})
}

However, I'm not sure how to go about doing this. I understand that in my dsdt_patcher/Debug folder there is a dsdt.dsl but if I edit what you said above there how do I go about recompiling my dsdt to accept those changes? Thanks for any help.

@eddie312,

After you edit the dsdt.dsl

* Open Terminal

* Drag & drop iasl into Terminal

* Type –sa

* Drag & drop dsdt.dsl into Terminal and press Enter

$ /Users/username/Desktop/DSDT/iasl -sa /Users/username/Desktop/DSDT/dsdt.dsl

and you get your dsdt.aml :unsure:

-ricola

@eddie312,

After you edit the dsdt.dsl

* Open Terminal

* Drag & drop iasl into Terminal

* Type �"sa

* Drag & drop dsdt.dsl into Terminal and press Enter

$ /Users/username/Desktop/DSDT/iasl -sa /Users/username/Desktop/DSDT/dsdt.dsl

and you get your dsdt.aml :thumbsup_anim:

-ricola

Thanks for the reply. Ok, so I did that and i got a dsdt.asm file. It compiled with 3 errors and 3 warnings though. I know I got 1 error and 3 warnings when I first made my own dsdt but everthing worked perfect except for this bios reset bug.

What do I do with this dsdt.asm file? I noticed also this file is much larger than my original dsdt.aml file.

@eddie312,

If it for IP35-Pro ... you can use my DSDT.aml file attached.

-Ricola

Ricola,

I do have an Abit IP35pro like yourself but when I tried your DSDT.aml I got a Kernal Panic after a couple minutes of booting into SL. I even tried everything from scratch again. The Kernal Panic seems to have to do with CPU 1 which is probably cause we don't the same CPU.

When I used my own DSDT.aml everything worked oob, no Kernal panics no crashing nothing. The only thing was the bios reset everytime i restarted. I have attached my own dsdt.dsl I compiled myself. If you can please try to compile it with the bios reset fix I would appreciate it.

Update:

Well, after using my own DSDT.aml I was still getting the same kernal panic. This never happened the first time I installed SL. I was able to figure out that it was my extensions.mkext somehow and it wasn't allowing me SL to run in 64 bits. I booted into 32 bit mode and ran kext utility and that fixed the kernal panic with my DSDT.aml. I'm going to try your DSDT.aml again to see if it'll work and update back. Thanks.

Update 2:

Ok, so I got it working stable now with your DSDT.aml Ricola. I have no Kernal Panics and with yours I don't have the BIOS reset problem anymore. No need to recompile my dsdt.dsl anymore. Thanks for all the help.

Any idea why I would get panic attacks if I have 8GB ram? If I bring it down to 4GB of ram it's stable again.

Also when I have dual MSI 8800 GT's it seems unstable too. Do I need to make my own DSDT.aml? I'm just using yours right now. I tried creating the dual video card EFI string but it just hangs at the boot.

I'm trying -x32 option while posting this message and it seems to be stable with 8GB of ram but doesn't defeat the purpose of 8GB RAM?