[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

It's alright... Anyways I'm probably going to use 32 bit mode until they come out with an update to NTFS-3G for 64-bit. More importantly, however, is that I fix the fact my microphone does not work. I am thinking DSDT, but is there any other thing that could be wrong? I'm using the stock SL driver so my audio is DETECTED, but there must be some input thing missing. Does LegacyHDA.kext affect functionality or only cosmetic info in System Profiler?

It's alright... Anyways I'm probably going to use 32 bit mode until they come out with an update to NTFS-3G for 64-bit. More importantly, however, is that I fix the fact my microphone does not work. I am thinking DSDT, but is there any other thing that could be wrong? I'm using the stock SL driver so my audio is DETECTED, but there must be some input thing missing. Does LegacyHDA.kext affect functionality or only cosmetic info in System Profiler?

what is the flag for x62 mode again? found it

-arch=x86_64 -x64

you need to change your partition map on your computer, there are a few ways to do that.

I have heard rumors of a program that will do it for you and allow you to keep your data but i don't know where it is or what it is called. so hope you can find it.

other than that you will have to repartition your discs which will erase all of your data.

There's no other way to install it without changing the partition map?

I don't know sorry. you might just have to try and see if it works.

I mentioned that before, but just remember if you mess up it's not so easy to go back if you're trying to update off your main installation.

By the way, I did try to redo the audio in my DSDT and my mic still doesn't work. It was working with a patched AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler, but with DSDT those aren't needed. Plus, they don't work in x64. My system is totally ready for x64, except for NTFS-3G. Otherwise I can do without a mic for a little while, but I do use Skype sometimes so I'll need to fix it eventually.

Can I create a backup image of the install? I know in Windows I can create an image of the HDD in case {censored} hits the fan. I can do that and toss it on my external HDD [assuming I can make a backup image].

Yes, download a program called "Carbon Copy Cloner" and clone your drive to your external drive.

Thanks for everything d00m42 ;)

Here is a little useful thing I noticed while installing snow leopard

instead of rushing to "hide" the drives from spotlight after the first Snow Leo boot before it KP, you can do it differently....

After you finish installing Snow Leo from within Leopard you can hide all your drives from spotlight in Leopard, the setting is set in the drive itself and Snow leopard will read that same setting

So after the first boot the drives hidden by leopard will also be hidden from spotlight in Snow leopard without any intervention from the user, you'll see all the drive are already listed in the settings,

all that needs to be done then is rebuit kext cache

Thanks for everything d00m42 :)

Here is a little useful thing I noticed while installing snow leopard

instead of rushing to "hide" the drives from spotlight after the first Snow Leo boot before it KP, you can do it differently....

After you finish installing Snow Leo from within Leopard you can hide all your drives from spotlight in Leopard, the setting is set in the drive itself and Snow leopard will read that same setting

So after the first boot the drives hidden by leopard will also be hidden from spotlight in Snow leopard without any intervention from the user, you'll see all the drive are already listed in the settings,

all that needs to be done then is rebuit kext cache

Cool, anything that makes it easier is always useful! Lol for me it was kind of a challenge, can I get in and disable Spotlight before it explodes, but for anyone who is just annoyed by it, I'll add this to the guide. I figured that it really just has to do with a config file on the drive. Technically though, all you have to do is reboot into single user mode and rebuild the kextcache.

good, good, lol. easy to restore?

Yes except..well...you kind of need leopard to restore it haha... Maybe install SL to an external drive and clone it to your new drive after?

Just wanted to say thanks for this. Still working on getting sound up and running, but otherwise everything works out of the "box" in 64bit mode too.

No problem. Personally I only have two issues left, both of which aren't majorly crippling. 1st, my microphone doesn't work, but on the other hand I'm using the stock Snow Leopard kexts; 2nd, I rely on NTFS-3G for my "Storage" drive because it's NTFS formatted, and they need to make a x64 version of it. So running in 32 bit mode, the only issue I have atm is my microphone, and I'm working on it. I can get mic support in 32 bit, but that's with patched drivers, not stock ones.

No problem. Personally I only have two issues left, both of which aren't majorly crippling. 1st, my microphone doesn't work, but on the other hand I'm using the stock Snow Leopard kexts; 2nd, I rely on NTFS-3G for my "Storage" drive because it's NTFS formatted, and they need to make a x64 version of it. So running in 32 bit mode, the only issue I have atm is my microphone, and I'm working on it. I can get mic support in 32 bit, but that's with patched drivers, not stock ones.

Does this mean you've found a solution to the Software Update KP issue?

Does this mean you've found a solution to the Software Update KP issue?

Someone got it to disappear by rebuilding the kext cache manually using terminal, but I never had it in the first place. I'd try that and post back. the discussion is a page or two back I think.

Someone got it to disappear by rebuilding the kext cache manually using terminal, but I never had it in the first place. I'd try that and post back. the discussion is a page or two back I think.

Not to worry. I ran kextutility again and no KP. Still get "Error: No installer packages can be found for this disk" when I try to repair permissions in Disk Utility, though.

Not to worry. I ran kextutility again and no KP. Still get "Error: No installer packages can be found for this disk" when I try to repair permissions in Disk Utility, though.

So you fixed it?

Not only did I fix the Software Update KP issue (by running kextutility), but I also solved the "No installer packages can be found for this disk" issue by reinstalling bsd.pkg from within SL.

It's been a good half hour! :wacko:

Good to hear : )

Sorry if I missed this, I've tried searching (still a little new at this) - is bonjour working with the onboard networking? I'm still waiting for my SL disc so I'm just trying to get educated beforehand.

Also for rebuilding kextcache, is this the proper terminal code I should use:

sudo kextcache -v -l -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

Thanks for this guide!

So here is what I did to finally get Snow Leo working "right away"

(I have a good DSDT since yesterday, but had issue with snow leo KP)

anyway

(going in -s mode is a better way of course since you won't see a single KP, but I'm unsure of all the syntax to repair permition and rebuilt cache, I get output that don't seems right to me, I tried once and I couldn't use the terminal in Snow Leo for some reason but I didn't get any KP, so I decided to reinstall again and use a utility that will do all that for me)

when I was on te Snow Leo desktop I ran Kext Utility (get it here)

reboot as soon as it is done doing whatever it did before it KP again

you'll notice you don't have sound anymore (but no KP either), remove the /Extra/Extensions.mkext that was created by the kext utility ....

reboot again, sound will be back (well no mic yet)

didn't get a kernel panic since then... seems rock solid

I tried software update , no issues at all it intalled whatever it was...

BTW I'm still running in 32bit, and probably will until FUSION works in 64bit (haven't tried installing it yet but I read it won't work in 64bit)

----

only thing that bothers me is that now I only know how to install Snow Leo by using Leopard first

I tried from a USB Disk, totally bypassing Leopard, but it KP during the install....

And for whoever still doesn't know, the $30 Snow Leo DVD is a full retail Disk, not at all an upgrade as I feared at first

---

WOOHOO !!!

So here is what I did to finally get Snow Leo working "right away"

(I have a good DSDT since yesterday, but had issue with snow leo KP)

anyway

when I was on te Snow Leo desktop I ran Kext Utility (get it here)

reboot as soon as it is done doing whatever it did before it KP again

you'll notice you don't have sound anymore (but no KP either), remove the /Extra/Extensions.mkext that was created by the kext utility ....

reboot again, sound will be back (well no mic yet)

didn't get a kernel panic since then... seems rock solid

I tried software update , no issues at all it intalled whatever it was...

BTW I'm still running in 32bit, and probably will until FUSION works in 64bit (haven't tried installing it yet but I read it won't work in 64bit)

WOOHOO !!!

We're practically twins lol! I also don't have mic unfortunately, but as a plus DSDT audio means stock SL kexts : ) What do you mean by FUSION? Personally I'm waiting for MacFuse/NTFS-3G (NTFS-3G is the one that doesn't work) to run x64. I have booted into x64 and everything works flawlessly as well, with the exception of mic/NTFS-3G of course.