[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Due to the absence of a good guide for the EP45-DS3R, i used your guide (the pdf files). All in all it's a very good guide. I had my install running, but there were 3 issues..

- No sound. Obvious because the sound drivers are different. What sort of workaround is there for this?

- Apple Keyboard setup shows up everytime I reboot.

- Restart doesn't work.

I'm back on my 10.5.5 install for now. I really like the guide you have here, wish you would have wrote it for the DS3R though. I did do a time machine restore from my current install, would that have caused problems?

Due to the absence of a good guide for the EP45-DS3R, i used your guide (the pdf files)....

- No sound. Obvious because the sound drivers are different. What sort of workaround is there for this?

In the DSDT from the BIOS there is sound driver data that needs to replace the Realtek ALC888 data in your working DSDT. Will look something like this:

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x05
                   })
               }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x08)
                       {
                           "codec-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           /**** Is ResourceTemplate, but EndTag not at buffer end ****/ Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"device-type", 
                           Buffer (0x10)
                           {
                               "Realtek ALC889a"
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (0x18)
                           {
                               /* 0000 */    0x10, 0x44, 0x11, 0x01, 0x20, 0x14, 0x01, 0x01, 
                               /* 0008 */    0x40, 0x4C, 0x21, 0x02, 0x50, 0x34, 0x81, 0x01, 
                               /* 0010 */    0x60, 0x9C, 0xA1, 0x02, 0xF0, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }

Hi Johnny, I am a choppy graphics suffering 8800GT user and a few similar uses have suggested your solution (and the post you quoted). Unfortunately it didn't work for me (I used the 'with itunes lag fix' option kext in your link)..

I use the tsueg SL install method, and am currently running 10.6.1 (could this be the issue?) and get the crash message as per the attachment. My E/E dir looks like:

LegacyHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

fakesmc.kext

I have tried that many solutions I figure I have nothing to lose by being cheeky and asking in another guides thread! Any ideas would be appreciated. I am hesitant on upgrading to 10.6.2 yet because I lose my wireless atheros5212 support.

There were a few others that couldn't get the "itunes lag fix" kext to work. Don't know if they found a solution.

First off, I'd like to say thanks for all the help on this. Your guide is amazing!

That being said, I had my system almost up to the point I wanted it and then suddenly my network stopped working. I had used the wrong DSDT and my CMOS got reset, and the next time I got into 10.6 I used the bootCD. Think it was working still then, and then I got in again without the bootCD and I noticed no network. It comes up with it having a self-assigned IP address something to the effect of 169.254.128.164. Normally it's behind a router so it's something like 192.168.2.x. I have checked the cable on my laptop and it's not the connection. Any ideas?

If it's CMOS oriented, can someone post what they've got up on their options?

great guide thanks!!!

Hi Meatwagon. Thanks :)

Thanks mate!

Now we got sound working by patching 10.6.3 AppleHDA binary and using our old 'LegacHDA.kext'..

But we are thinking about get it working without modify AppleHDA binary on /S/L/E. ;)

Regards.

Thiago

Wow. That's great progress mate. Fab :thumbsup_anim:

Due to the absence of a good guide for the EP45-DS3R, i used your guide (the pdf files). All in all it's a very good guide. I had my install running, but there were 3 issues..

- Apple Keyboard setup shows up everytime I reboot.

- Restart doesn't work.

I'm back on my 10.5.5 install for now. I really like the guide you have here, wish you would have wrote it for the DS3R though. I did do a time machine restore from my current install, would that have caused problems?

Hi modis, well done following the guide, but as you have found out there are differences between our systems, for instance yours uses ACL8889 and ICH10R. You will need your own DSDT, specifically for your board as there might well be other differences than the patched audio as Johnny V mentioned. I have never experienced the Apple keyboard setup re-appearing after first use.

Restart is now done via a patch in a modified Chameleon RC4 (or PC-EFI). There have been a few changes recently and with the many different revised RC4 files floating I didn't want to make the guide too complicated by referring to them all. Hopefully a revised Chameleon which includes all the new patches, and more, will be out soon. And then I can update the Support Files of this guide to just have the one. It's also one of the reasons why I haven't finished Part 7 of this guide.

But in the mean time you can use the following boot file compiled by Thiagomorales which is in the

Support Files/Part 2/1B/Chameleon RC4 boot file/

You will need to drag it to the root of the Cham volume, replacing the current file.

First off, I'd like to say thanks for all the help on this. Your guide is amazing!

That being said, I had my system almost up to the point I wanted it and then suddenly my network stopped working. I had used the wrong DSDT and my CMOS got reset, and the next time I got into 10.6 I used the bootCD. Think it was working still then, and then I got in again without the bootCD and I noticed no network. It comes up with it having a self-assigned IP address something to the effect of 169.254.128.164. Normally it's behind a router so it's something like 192.168.2.x. I have checked the cable on my laptop and it's not the connection. Any ideas?

If it's CMOS oriented, can someone post what they've got up on their options?

Thanks

Try switching off your PC, unplugging the power cable and leaving it for a few minutes. That's always cured that problem for me :thumbsup_anim:

Hi Johnny, I am a choppy graphics suffering 8800GT user and a few similar uses have suggested your solution (and the post you quoted). Unfortunately it didn't work for me (I used the 'with itunes lag fix' option kext in your link)..

I use the tsueg SL install method, and am currently running 10.6.1 (could this be the issue?) and get the crash message as per the attachment. My E/E dir looks like:

LegacyHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

fakesmc.kext

I have tried that many solutions I figure I have nothing to lose by being cheeky and asking in another guides thread! Any ideas would be appreciated. I am hesitant on upgrading to 10.6.2 yet because I lose my wireless atheros5212 support.

If your mouse lag only occurs when using QuickTime, i.e. listening to audio in iTunes or watching a video using Quicktime then you need the fix. You can see if this problem is fixable by adding this Disabler.kext in to your /E/E.

Disabler.kext.zip

All it does is disable 'AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext' which is the source of the Quicktime mouse lag bug.

If that works then you can keep that Disabler.kext and then just use a basic ordinary, not 10.6.2 version, of SleepEnabler.kext in E/E (without the mouse lag fix)

Or you can find yourself a , not 10.6.2 version, of SleepEnabler.kext which includes the mouse lag fix. Drop that in /E/E and remove the Disabler.kext I have posted here.

Note: You can only use SleepEnabler (for 10.6.2) on a 10.6.2 install as Apple changed the kernel in 10.6.2.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU again for this guide. Extremely helpful. I now have everything working!

Since I am a DS3R user, I should mention what changes I made to get this to work.

1a. Follow the PDF guide in this thread.

1b. After booting into your 10.6 install for the first time, sound won't work. This is ok.

2. Immediately install the 10.6.2 combined update from Apple.

3. While the update is downloading, swap the kexts in your "Extensions" folder with the ones provided in the archive in this post

4. Also make sure you take the dsdt.aml from that archive and put it in the proper place, overwriting the one already there. (/Extra folder)

5. Reboot & Enjoy!

NOTE: Make sure you are updated to the latest EP45-DS3R BIOS before attempting this! I have a q6600 like the creator of this package. If you have a different processor YMMV.

Backing up your kexts and dsdt file are recommended incase you encounter any problems.

Blackosx: Is sleep working for you all the time ? Since using that new method instead of SleepEnabler I had problems waking up from sleep several times and had to restart. That never happened to me before. It is certainly not majority of wake ups, but it sucks when it happens.

Blackosx: Is sleep working for you all the time ? Since using that new method instead of SleepEnabler I had problems waking up from sleep several times and had to restart. That never happened to me before. It is certainly not majority of wake ups, but it sucks when it happens.

Seems like waking up from sleep on my system never works. All my fans whirr up to maximum speed as if it were rebooting and then it shuts off and it repeats this process.

Hi mate

Sleep works for me everytime.

Would the new method instead of SleepEnabler you refer to be vanilla speedstep?

EDIT: I have done a sleep wake cycle, here's a screengrab of the kernel.log.

post-331032-1263759544_thumb.png

What does your kernel.log show?

@menikmati - same question to you..

Thanks blackosx. That worked perfectly.

Great. Well done.

BlackOSX,

Is the DSDT with the Power Fix V4 the latest DSDT?

Thanks

I added my Graphics card info, and Speedstep.

Going to restart now.

Will update.

There were some changes between the one in the Support Files v1.0 to the v4 one you mentioned. To hopefully save confusion I have wrapped it all up and made a revised DSDT that I am thinking about putting in a revised Support Files. This is what it will be, so you might want to use this one.

Note: This is based on mm67's DSDT and has a lot of unnecessary code removed, including PS2 device code, to make our hacks more suited to being a Mac.

GA_EP45_DS3L_DSDT_Generic_v5.zip

Note: This is also posted on the front page of this thread

The differences from the previous DSDT in Support Files v1.0 are:

• Removed Operation (DEBG…

• Removed reference to DEBG in Method (_WAK.

• Revised Method (_PTS to match mm67's latest dsdt.

• Revised Method (_INI for increased power to EHCn devices as mm67's recommendations.

• Revised Operation (PWRC.. in both EHCn devices as mm67's recommendations.

• Added IRQNoFlag at end of Device (MATH) as original DSDT for this motherboard.

• Removed Device (FWHD) - Firmware Hub - as match mm67's latest dsdt.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU again for this guide. Extremely helpful. I now have everything working!

Well done modis for getting up and running on your EP45-DS3R :(

How exactly would I access kernel.log? Sorry if it's a super-basic question.

Hi menikmati

There are a couple of ways in the Finder and you can probably get all the info from the terminal too, but in the Finder:

• load up the /Applications/Utilities/Console and drill down the left edge to FILES/private/var/log/ and you'll see kernel.log

• load System Profiler and drill down the left edge to Software/Logs/ then click on kernel.log in the top right pane.

Blackosx: Same stuff with little differences:

post-246944-1263763488_thumb.png

It actually happened to me 3 times and only after leaving it longer time sleeping like 18+ hours, but that is not a rule I had it sleeping for 36 hours and it waked up just fine yesterday.

Blackosx: Same stuff with little differences:

post-246944-1263763488_thumb.png

It actually happened to me 3 times and only after leaving it longer time sleeping like 18+ hours, but that is not a rule I had it sleeping for 36 hours and it waked up just fine yesterday.

Don't you just hate the random issues?....

Strange how your 'Wake reason' reads: Gigabit Ethernet, Audio and both USB2 devices?

Don't you just hate the random issues?....

Strange how your 'Wake reason' reads: Gigabit Ethernet, Audio and both USB2 devices?

I totally hate these things when something is broken, because of something so absolutely irrelevant. :( This is probably not that, but remembering how I had some problems with IE8 on my Win7 workstation at work and after trying almost anything I tried last thing I found that was making .bat file with recursive dir command to list all(!) dlls in system and re-register them :( It worked eventually but man....

Ye it is strange. I used Apple Keyboard to wake it up (which is great, because it worked only with power button before). I will try with power button.

EDIT: When I use power button to wake it I have only Wake reason = with no reason. Funny :(

EDIT: When I use power button to wake it I have only Wake reason = with no reason. Funny :(

I have just tried it with the Power button on the case too and I get the same: Wake reason = with no reason. :(

Still strange how waking with your keyboard gives the other reasons for wake?

Maybe for the next few attempts after your machine has been sleeping for periods longer that 18 hours, try waking with the Power Button to see if you experience and problems?

Hmm. I checked some longtime sleep/wake records in kernel.log and for every sleep there is wake up so it looks like it wakes up but for some reason graphics system won't run or something like that. I will check log better if it does it next time because I don't remember when it happened exactly last time and it would take some time to check it thoroughly.

Hi menikmati

There are a couple of ways in the Finder and you can probably get all the info from the terminal too, but in the Finder:

• load up the /Applications/Utilities/Console and drill down the left edge to FILES/private/var/log/ and you'll see kernel.log

• load System Profiler and drill down the left edge to Software/Logs/ then click on kernel.log in the top right pane.

Thanks for the help, I just tried sleeping/awaking and it actually worked this time.

Jan 17 13:57:56 R-iMac kernel[0]: System Sleep

Jan 17 13:58:15 R-iMac kernel[0]: Wake reason = UHC3

Jan 17 13:58:15 R-iMac kernel[0]: System Wake

Jan 17 13:58:15 R-iMac kernel[0]: Previous Sleep Cause: 0

Jan 17 13:58:15 R-iMac kernel[0]: USB (UHCI):Port 1 on bus 0x5d has remote wakeup from some device

Hmm. I checked some longtime sleep/wake records in kernel.log and for every sleep there is wake up so it looks like it wakes up but for some reason graphics system won't run or something like that. I will check log better if it does it next time because I don't remember when it happened exactly last time and it would take some time to check it thoroughly.

Hopefully you can find a clue as to why? :)

Thanks for the help, I just tried sleeping/awaking and it actually worked this time.

Jan 17 13:57:56 R-iMac kernel[0]: System Sleep

Jan 17 13:58:15 R-iMac kernel[0]: Wake reason = UHC3

Jan 17 13:58:15 R-iMac kernel[0]: System Wake

Jan 17 13:58:15 R-iMac kernel[0]: Previous Sleep Cause: 0

Jan 17 13:58:15 R-iMac kernel[0]: USB (UHCI):Port 1 on bus 0x5d has remote wakeup from some device

That looks normal now. Is that the first time it's worked for you?

Hopefully you can find a clue as to why? :)

That looks normal now. Is that the first time it's worked for you?

Previously I was running 10.6 and couldn't get sleep to work. I recently updated to 10.6.2 and replaced the SleepEnabler.kext and I just tried sleeping/waking 5 times and all 5 times worked.

Also, I read up on the Native Instruments drivers for my Audio 2 DJ USB sound card and found that the drivers only work with 32-bit operating systems, that made me realize that I had set Snow Leopard to boot with the 64-bit kernel. So I changed those back to the 32-bit defaults and now my sound card works perfectly!

I have one question, has anyone had experience with FireWire add-on cards? I plan on getting a FireWire card, but don't know if I should get a PCI or PCI-E one.

Previously I was running 10.6 and couldn't get sleep to work. I recently updated to 10.6.2 and replaced the SleepEnabler.kext and I just tried sleeping/waking 5 times and all 5 times worked.

Hey Hey... Great :)

Also, I read up on the Native Instruments drivers for my Audio 2 DJ USB sound card and found that the drivers only work with 32-bit operating systems, that made me realize that I had set Snow Leopard to boot with the 64-bit kernel. So I changed those back to the 32-bit defaults and now my sound card works perfectly!

Another good result :)

I have one question, has anyone had experience with FireWire add-on cards? I plan on getting a FireWire card, but don't know if I should get a PCI or PCI-E one.

Someone posted about this only the other day... have a look back over the last few pages.

If you are referring to the Firewire 800 PCIE Card that xAberracus has then I don't know if he got it working successfully or not.

I'm off to work but when I get back I'll look up the one I have. I'm using a Firewire 800 PCI-E card for my iSight and it works great.

Alright, so I have an interesting thing going on here, none of my partitions outside of the root and the one that has my backup (thanks for reminding us of that in the guide, definite +1 on that) have "Owners Enabled: No" in Disk Utility. I have tried turning them on via commandline "diskutil enableOwnership" on the partitions and "vsdbutil -a /Path/to/Partition" on each one. Unfortunately none of them work, or at least none of them retain until the next boot. I can't state for certain but I don't think I've ever run into this problem before this install.