[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

For anyone who has posted about missing PS/2 and IDE support from the latest DSDT, I have had a go at adding them in to the Generic DSDT v5 that I posted here. If anybody would like to try it you can find it in this post my DSDT thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1393232

You will still need to add kexts for PS/2 and IDE devices for them to work.

Hello blackosx,

first of all thanks for this amazing guide. Sorrily it doesn't work for me yet, but I hope it'll soon. So here is my problem:

I followed the guide till step 2 with your BootCD and a new Snow Leopard retail DVD. Because I had to use the same hdd that I used before for my install of iPC 10.5.6 for Snow Leopard, I chose l2oi3's way of a fresh install from the BootCD without an existing 10.5 install or a DSDT.

I partitioned the hdd like you describe it in your guide with a Cham, SL and a WIN partition, made sure that the BIOS is set like you write it and that all options under Customize are unchecked (except for German language support).

Though the installation of Snow Leopard is aborted after it says that there are about 17 minutes left with the "Restart your computer" prompt. I already tried the install tip with only enabling the options for AHCI and HPET.

Here is my system description:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L updated to F11b

Intel Q6600

Kingston Hyper-X DDR 2 4GB

Sparkle 9800GT 512MB

1 TB Hitachi HDD SATA

320 GB Hitachi HDD IDE

Thanks in advance for every tip, clue or any other help for this problem!

Just thought I'd add how I've got on with the updated guide.

System Spec

GA-EP45-DS3L Motherboard

Intel Q9550 CPU

Nvidia 9800GT Graphics Card (DVI, VGA and HDMI - using DVI)

Everything went smoothly apart from the first boot due to problems with the SMBIOS.plist causing a kernel panic. I deleted the SMBIOS.plist originally and that solved the problem. I've now re-added it and I believe the problem was to do with the SMserial and/or SMbiosversion.

There is only one thing I've noticed which isn't work and thats the front audio. It does definitely work as previously had Windows XP installed and was working fine then. Apart from that, everything else is working and really well! Including running Windows XP via Parallels 5 through to HD movies. Although keep getting @ "The movie "...mov" can't be opened. You may need to install additional software to open this type of file" when trying to watch Apple trailers.

Thanks blackosx for the guide and all the effort put into the tutorial - really appreciate it!

I followed the guide till step 2 with your BootCD and a new Snow Leopard retail DVD. Because I had to use the same hdd that I used before for my install of iPC 10.5.6 for Snow Leopard, I chose l2oi3's way of a fresh install from the BootCD without an existing 10.5 install or a DSDT.

I partitioned the hdd like you describe it in your guide with a Cham, SL and a WIN partition, made sure that the BIOS is set like you write it and that all options under Customize are unchecked (except for German language support).

Though the installation of Snow Leopard is aborted after it says that there are about 17 minutes left with the "Restart your computer" prompt. I already tried the install tip with only enabling the options for AHCI and HPET.

Hi roawr

This is a new one on me, even after 100 pages of this thread it hasn't been often I hear the Snow Leopard install aborting during the install. And when I have, it's been near the end of the install process. Well done with your research and trying the basic BIOS options and I see you have tried the tip about unselecting printer drivers etc.. But I can't give you any definite answer.

Have you got any extra hardware connected to your system?

Just thought I'd add how I've got on with the updated guide.

System Spec

GA-EP45-DS3L Motherboard

Intel Q9550 CPU

Nvidia 9800GT Graphics Card (DVI, VGA and HDMI - using DVI)

Everything went smoothly apart from the first boot due to problems with the SMBIOS.plist causing a kernel panic. I deleted the SMBIOS.plist originally and that solved the problem. I've now re-added it and I believe the problem was to do with the SMserial and/or SMbiosversion.

There is only one thing I've noticed which isn't work and thats the front audio. It does definitely work as previously had Windows XP installed and was working fine then. Apart from that, everything else is working and really well! Including running Windows XP via Parallels 5 through to HD movies. Although keep getting @ "The movie "...mov" can't be opened. You may need to install additional software to open this type of file" when trying to watch Apple trailers.

Thanks blackosx for the guide and all the effort put into the tutorial - really appreciate it!

Hi BeatMaster

Thanks for posting back after following the revised guide and thanks for the point about the SMBIOS causing a KP on the first boot. I might have to experiment with that as it may well be something to point out for others.

The front audio is working for me, and when I plug my headphones in, the output device automatically changes in the output tab of the 'Sound' preference panel - I have attached a pic of each state for reference. Does this happen on yours?

post-331032-1264277147_thumb.png post-331032-1264277162_thumb.png

As for your "The movie "...mov" can't be opened errors, there are a couple of tips I can recommend.

Have a look at Flip4Mac for playing Windows Media files, Perian is a good collection of codecs for many formats and for Matroska files and many more you can try the excellent Movist.

So for the serial in your guide, do you just make one up or leave it how it is?

There are lots of different serial numbers posted on the internet which you can use. I guess you want to find one from a similar Mac model to the one you want your hack to pretend to be. i.e. if the specs of your hack are similar to an imac then try and find an imac serial, same for a MacPro.

Hi blackosx,

"This DSDT supercedes the one in the Support Files v1.0

Attached File GA_EP45_DS3L_DSDT_Generic_v5.zip ( 2.85K ) Number of downloads: 168"

What are the benefits of DSDT Generic_v5 over that in Support Files v 1.0?

TQ and Have a nice day

So that sleep won't wake thing happened to me today. Interesting thing is that there is no sleep info in kernel.log. Last thing I have there is:

FakeSMC: key info not found CLWK, length - 6

Do you have some ideas what that might mean ?

So that sleep won't wake thing happened to me today. Interesting thing is that there is no sleep info in kernel.log.

It's unfortunate that the kernel log didn't give you any sleep info this time. I was hoping it would.

Last thing I have there is:
FakeSMC: key info not found CLWK, length - 6

Do you have some ideas what that might mean ?

As for the FakeSMC message, they are debug messages which I never really understood. I think FakeSMC will post these messages to help you help it with missing keys on your system. You can then in turn add these keys in to FakeSMC's info plist?. I used to get long lists of these in my kernel log! When netkas released v2.5, he included an 'option for noobs' to turn these debug messages off, which I did.

You can do it by editing the info.plist inside FakeSMC and change the <key>debug</key> to read 'false'. I have done this for the version of it that it in the current Support Files, but you will have probably updated your system yourself when it was released.

If you do however find out more about this subject then I would love to hear ;)

Hi roawr

This is a new one on me, even after 100 pages of this thread it hasn't been often I hear the Snow Leopard install aborting during the install. And when I have, it's been near the end of the install process. Well done with your research and trying the basic BIOS options and I see you have tried the tip about unselecting printer drivers etc.. But I can't give you any definite answer.

Have you got any extra hardware connected to your system?

Hello blackosx,

considering the additional hardware: There is an (Hackintosh compatible) Asus WiFi PCI card, the two mentioned harddrives and an external 1,5TB USB hdd connected.

What I didn't do was to check if the hdd is really conneted to SATA port 0. So I will check this right now. If this isn't the solution to the problem: Is trying to install via USB a possibility?

Edit: It is defnitely connected to port 0. I'll have a new try without the WiFi card and additional harddrives now

Edit 2: It didn't work with additional hardware (WiFi card, IDE hdd) unplugged. At the stage of around 17 minutes left I get a grey screen with the message "You need to restart your computer [...]". Two things I noticed: The BootCD overview of devices doesn't show the Chameleon or Snow Leopard partitions I created in the previous attempts to install (created new partitions for this time) and instead of your Chameleon theme when starting the Snow Leopard install DVD I get a normal Apple logo.

Perhaps there is something wrong with my hdd? Or the BootCD doesn't work for me somehow?

Hi BeatMaster

Thanks for posting back after following the revised guide and thanks for the point about the SMBIOS causing a KP on the first boot. I might have to experiment with that as it may well be something to point out for others.

The front audio is working for me, and when I plug my headphones in, the output device automatically changes in the output tab of the 'Sound' preference panel - I have attached a pic of each state for reference. Does this happen on yours?

post-331032-1264277147_thumb.png post-331032-1264277162_thumb.png

As for your "The movie "...mov" can't be opened errors, there are a couple of tips I can recommend.

Have a look at Flip4Mac for playing Windows Media files, Perian is a good collection of codecs for many formats and for Matroska files and many more you can try the excellent Movist.

Just checked to see if the output device changes but nothing happens when I plug my headphones in. I'm using the LegacyHDA.kext from 10.6.2 folder in the Support Files. The DSDT is the version 5 and the Chameleon boot file is the Asere_s 1.1.7

Audio is working fine out the back and using the Digital Output.

I think there might be a problem with Apple trailers at the moment as just found this thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...14&tstart=0

It's unfortunate that the kernel log didn't give you any sleep info this time. I was hoping it would.

I was hoping for that too. It is strange that there isn't even message about it going to sleep. It may mean that it even failed to sleep properly. I will try your newest DSDT for it. (I noticed that it doesn't contain Speedstep info as previous ones. You stopped to use it, or you just stopped containing it to public DSDTs ?)

So 2 things now.

When I hit restart it restarts into a black screen so I have to manually shut down and boot up. Is there a fix for this?

Also... I let apple update and after the update it restarted and now has a kernel panic and the grey screen that says restart.

I am new to this so please understand.

I am using snow leopard and followed your tutorial step by step and everything works perfectly.

So 2 things now.

When I hit restart it restarts into a black screen so I have to manually shut down and boot up. Is there a fix for this?

Also... I let apple update and after the update it restarted and now has a kernel panic and the grey screen that says restart.

I am using snow leopard and followed your tutorial step by step and everything works perfectly.

Regarding restart. You need some Restart kext OR you need to have modified Chameleon with restart fix and have

<key>RestartFix</key>
<string>YES</string>

in com.apple.Boot.plist

Regarding update... It is probably caused by older SleepEnabler which is not compatible with 10.6.2 you need to update it to newer version. So you need to restart to Single User Mode from bootloader and delete the file from console. (Or I use MacDrive on Windows install, but you probably don't have this)

Edit 2: It didn't work with additional hardware (WiFi card, IDE hdd) unplugged. At the stage of around 17 minutes left I get a grey screen with the message "You need to restart your computer [...]". Two things I noticed: The BootCD overview of devices doesn't show the Chameleon or Snow Leopard partitions I created in the previous attempts to install (created new partitions for this time) and instead of your Chameleon theme when starting the Snow Leopard install DVD I get a normal Apple logo.

Out of interest, can you try booting from a previous version of the BootCD?

BootCD v1.06 or BootCD v1.04

But note, these older ones contain older support files. So if you do manage to install from either of these BootCD's then use the Support Files from my the BootCD v1.07.

Just checked to see if the output device changes but nothing happens when I plug my headphones in. I'm using the LegacyHDA.kext from 10.6.2 folder in the Support Files. The DSDT is the version 5 and the Chameleon boot file is the Asere_s 1.1.7

Audio is working fine out the back and using the Digital Output.

I think there might be a problem with Apple trailers at the moment as just found this thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...14&tstart=0

Hi BeatMaster

You must have it wired correctly as you have said it worked previously in XP. So I don't know why it doesn't work for you. Does anybody else have this problem?

I just checked Apple's Quicktime Trailers and you're right, they're are not playing at the moment.

Also, would you and anybody else without one, please add a signature listing your hardware as it makes it easier for me to see what hardware you have without have to go back over previous post to find it.

....I will try your newest DSDT for it. (I noticed that it doesn't contain Speedstep info as previous ones. You stopped to use it, or you just stopped containing it to public DSDTs ?)

Hi mate. Yes I still use vanilla speedstep with my CPU data in DSDT, but as you guessed, I just removed it from the 'Generic v5 DSDT' to make it generic.

So 2 things now.

I have talked about Restart in 'Part 7 - What's New' of the guide. This is because of the many different modified bootloaders around at the moment, but once Chameleon RC5 is released it will hopefully make things simpler and I can revise 'Part - 3' to simplify this matter.

And for the update, you didn't mention what you were upgrading from and to. I guess it would have been from 10.6 to 10.6.2. I covered updates in 'Part 8 - Apple Updates' which mentions the SleepEnabler issue that titan4 kindly posted about.

I know you're new to this, and I thank you for trying my guides but try to read them all.

The main benefit is increased power to the high speed USB devices but I listed the changes in my post here

Hi blackosx,

A thousand apologies. Missed your earlier post.

Anyway I went ahead and used your V5 generic DSDT on my Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L which I upgrated from GA-P35-DS3.

Everything work on my previous installed SL 10.6.2 except autosleep. Any pointers?

I need to solve the autosleep problem before proceeding with speedstep on my E8400 with Nividia 8600GT

TQ & have a nice day.

Hi blackosx,

A thousand apologies. Missed your earlier post.

Anyway I went ahead and used your V5 generic DSDT on my Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L which I upgrated from GA-P35-DS3.

Everything work on my previous installed SL 10.6.2 except autosleep. Any pointers?

I need to solve the autosleep problem before proceeding with speedstep on my E8400 with Nividia 8600GT

TQ & have a nice day.

As much as it sounds strange, autosleep may be related to CD/DVD/Whatever drive, especially i am pretty sure that at least Samsung drives cause this, but possibly there is more of them.

Hey There!

Thanks for this so much. You deserve a medal!!! I'd buy you a drink if I knew where you are.

I was lucky to have the same specs as you have (exactly!!! :DDD) so no problem.

I'm installing FCP studio2 now. The machine is just flying. Graphics, Audio works without a problem. LAN seems to be OK, although I havent got a cable to test it (I have wireless at home, everyone's got laptops :)) im sure it will work.

Re Update: when i do connect to the net and chose update. Should I delete the sleep kext before and then just copy the 10.6.2 version?? thanx

DUDE you really are a hero! :P

Re Update: when i do connect to the net and chose update. Should I delete the sleep kext before and then just copy the 10.6.2 version?? thanx

Yes do that. Delete old SleepEnabler, Install update, Copy new SleepEnabler. And if you don't already have it copy also updated LegacyHDA.kext for 10.6.2

Yes do that. Delete old SleepEnabler, Install update, Copy new SleepEnabler. And if you don't already have it copy also updated LegacyHDA.kext for 10.6.2

Ok, thanx a lot. will do as you say.

Second DVI slot...

I dont have a second monitor yet, but I just tried plugging into the other DVI port...

First it came up as low res, so I tried to change it in the sys preferences to my 1920x1080, but it's just showing me nice light blue colour... and I cant do anything apart from pluging back to the first port...

So is this an issue or it will dissapear when I have 2 monitors plugged in?

thanx for any advice.

Janis

hey there,

I just had a weird Grey screen saying you need to restart and hold the power button... wtf?!?!

it happened after about 1h after installation...

Anyone knows if this is gonna happen again???

That is Kernel Panic = Something like BSOD on Windows. It is however very difficult to detect possible cause. You can check kernel.log if there is some error messages prior to getting KP.

I don't know. I used 2 monitors (or Monitor + HDTV) without issues, but it depends on graphics card.

Ok, thanx a lot. will do as you say.

Second DVI slot...

I dont have a second monitor yet, but I just tried plugging into the other DVI port...

First it came up as low res, so I tried to change it in the sys preferences to my 1920x1080, but it's just showing me nice light blue colour... and I cant do anything apart from pluging back to the first port...

thanx for any advice.

Janis

Switch the card to a different PCI slot. That might help.