[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

I'm off to work but when I get back I'll look up the one I have. I'm using a Firewire 800 PCI-E card for my iSight and it works great.

Great, that will be very useful to know.

Thanks bigpoppa206

Alright, so I have an interesting thing going on here, none of my partitions outside of the root and the one that has my backup (thanks for reminding us of that in the guide, definite +1 on that) have "Owners Enabled: No" in Disk Utility. I have tried turning them on via commandline "diskutil enableOwnership" on the partitions and "vsdbutil -a /Path/to/Partition" on each one. Unfortunately none of them work, or at least none of them retain until the next boot. I can't state for certain but I don't think I've ever run into this problem before this install.

Booted in to my SnowLeopard partition and loading Disk Utility I see all of my partitions except "SnowLeopard", show Owners Enabled: No

But are you saying none of yours, except SnowLeopard and BackupSL read No? In which case are they all reading Yes?

There were some changes between the one in the Support Files v1.0 to the v4 one you mentioned. To hopefully save confusion I have wrapped it all up and made a revised DSDT that I am thinking about putting in a revised Support Files. This is what it will be, so you might want to use this one.

Note: This is based on mm67's DSDT and has a lot of unnecessary code removed, including PS2 device code, to make our hacks more suited to being a Mac.

GA_EP45_DS3L_DSDT_Generic_v5.zip

Note: This is also posted on the front page of this thread

The differences from the previous DSDT in Support Files v1.0 are:

• Removed Operation (DEBG…

• Removed reference to DEBG in Method (_WAK.

• Revised Method (_PTS to match mm67's latest dsdt.

• Revised Method (_INI for increased power to EHCn devices as mm67's recommendations.

• Revised Operation (PWRC.. in both EHCn devices as mm67's recommendations.

• Added IRQNoFlag at end of Device (MATH) as original DSDT for this motherboard.

• Removed Device (FWHD) - Firmware Hub - as match mm67's latest dsdt.

Hi Blackosx, could you upload somewhere your dsdt.dsl instead of .aml ? I mean the v5 which you already mentioned above. I can't change cpu info in the new one, because it is completely different from the v2 which I use already. Thank you

Hi Blackosx, could you upload somewhere your dsdt.dsl instead of .aml ? I mean the v5 which you already mentioned above. I can't change cpu info in the new one, because it is completely different from the v2 which I use already. Thank you

Certainly, this is the .dsl of the GENERIC v5

dsdt.dsl.zip

Hardware:

Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3l

Intel core 2 quad

8 gigs ddr2 ram

1.5 TB drives

Pny GeForce 210 video (nVidia)

Okay, I followed the installation guide Verbatum.

I installed all chameleon and all the kexts that your guide said to install. I go to boot off the HDD and I get a "please restart your computer message" So I debug it and find out it's a kernel panic:

CPU 0 caller 0x79c84de4): "No HPETs available ... CPU(s) configured incorrectly\n"@/SourceCache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement-96/pmThread.c:148

It gave 4 memory addresses I didn't write down. So I tried deleting the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext in the system/extensions folder as what other forums suggested, I'd get some ACPI_SCM error.

If you could point me in the right direction. It'd be much appreciated.

Hardware:

Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3l

Intel core 2 quad

8 gigs ddr2 ram

1.5 TB drives

Pny GeForce 210 video (nVidia)

Okay, I followed the installation guide Verbatum.

I installed all chameleon and all the kexts that your guide said to install. I go to boot off the HDD and I get a "please restart your computer message" So I debug it and find out it's a kernel panic:

CPU 0 caller 0x79c84de4): "No HPETs available ... CPU(s) configured incorrectly\n"@/SourceCache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement-96/pmThread.c:148

It gave 4 memory addresses I didn't write down. So I tried deleting the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext in the system/extensions folder as what other forums suggested, I'd get some ACPI_SCM error.

Hi localloadie

I think your problem is you have the GA-EP43-UD3L and not the motherboard that this guide is written for.

You could try booting your system without the included DSDT.aml in the Support files from here, as that's not for your motherboard. If your machine boots then you know that's the problem, but you will then have your CMOS reset when you next try to restart. You will then need to build yourself a DSDT for your board.

Also, this guide is all about leaving the retail install untouched and deleting the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from /System/Library/Extensions is not what it's all about.

Booted in to my SnowLeopard partition and loading Disk Utility I see all of my partitions except "SnowLeopard", show Owners Enabled: No

But are you saying none of yours, except SnowLeopard and BackupSL read No? In which case are they all reading Yes?

All mine show the same, but I have setup one partition to mount to /Users and I need permissions enabled on that one. Again, I can't be certain this is a hackintosh oriented problem or not, as I can't test it on anything else. The only things that have Owners enabled are SL and SLBKUP. Guess I'll just have to give up on the whole Users partition thing.

I used your guide and might I say I am very impressed. Running 10.6.2 with full support of everything. Just have to make sure you read all the directions. :D

I am hoping you could help me with this. I use a regular LCD monitor, 1680x1050, no problems. But when I plug my system into an LCD TV, 1080p (1920x1200), the entire system freezes.

The system will boot up to the log in screen and go no further. If you have any ideas, please let me know of one. I have had other computers connected and working the same way.

My graphics card is a GeForce 9800 GTX+ 1GB, using the kexts that come with Snow Leopard.

And the connection is going through a DVI to HDMI converter cable.

Thank you for your help and thank you for such a well put together guide.

All mine show the same, but I have setup one partition to mount to /Users and I need permissions enabled on that one. Again, I can't be certain this is a hackintosh oriented problem or not, as I can't test it on anything else. The only things that have Owners enabled are SL and SLBKUP. Guess I'll just have to give up on the whole Users partition thing.

I really don't know aitikin. This is a new one on me.

Can I ask everybody else to see how Disk Utility shows the Owners Enabled flag for each partition.

Mine shows Yes for my SnowLeopard partition and No for everything else.

Screenshot attached for ref:

post-331032-1263844076_thumb.png

I used your guide and might I say I am very impressed. Running 10.6.2 with full support of everything. Just have to make sure you read all the directions. :D

I am hoping you could help me with this. I use a regular LCD monitor, 1680x1050, no problems. But when I plug my system into an LCD TV, 1080p (1920x1200), the entire system freezes.

The system will boot up to the log in screen and go no further. If you have any ideas, please let me know of one. I have had other computers connected and working the same way.

My graphics card is a GeForce 9800 GTX+ 1GB, using the kexts that come with Snow Leopard.

And the connection is going through a DVI to HDMI converter cable.

Thank you for your help and thank you for such a well put together guide.

Hi Farshnowshkin,

Thanks for the confirmation of your install and well done :D

When you say you plug your system in to a 1080p TV, is it already booted?

If you are using the Graphics Enabler boot option in com.apple.Boot.plist then you might want to try booting your hack with the TV connected.

I really don't know aitikin. This is a new one on me.

Can I ask everybody else to see how Disk Utility shows the Owners Enabled flag for each partition.

Mine shows Yes for my SnowLeopard partition and No for everything else.

My partitions are the same as blackosx'. Only Snow Leopard has Yes for Owners Enabled. The two other partitions, Cham and SL Storage are No

Seems like only the parttions that are have Owners Enabled set to Yes have systems on them. I have a Kalyway and iPC install also and both are Yes.

I had a very similar kernel panic - does it keep looping? I fixed it by deleting the SMBIOS.plist although I think it was properly a problem in the file but was unable to work out what was wrong. I was under the impression that only SMserial was the important part but is that wrong?

Hope that helps :lol:

I can confirm that. I also have Yes only on System drive. I Have No on both Chameleon, Windows and Data disk.

Thanks for everyone who responded to the 'Owners Enabled' query...

By looking in to this it's all down to the 'Ignore Ownership' checkbox which you find by selecting 'Get Info' on a drive's icon in the Finder.

post-331032-1263894500_thumb.png

Note: You won't have this option for your current boot drive.

If it's ticked (which means Owners Enabled = No) then anybody can write to it.

If it's not ticked (which means Owners Enabled = Yes) then only users with the right permissions can write to it.

So it makes sense that all ours read No, as we haven't set any permissions to control it.

@aitikin

If you want to enable a partition with this, try the checkbox option.

Hi. First of all loads of thanks to blackosx, the guide it's perfect and now i'm looking forward to get the motherboard (i can only find the "Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3l" model so I will keep looking). After this, my doubt is : I've tried o follow this guide and the "10.5.7+Windows 7" to install Snow Leopard and Windows 7 but i don't understand what should i change from the second one to make it work perfectly with Snow Leopard. I know that it will be a lot of work but it would be perfect if you could change this one or create another one specifying who to do the Dual Boot.

Again, thank you

FranBN

Hi. First of all loads of thanks to blackosx, the guide it's perfect and now i'm looking forward to get the motherboard (i can only find the "Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3l" model so I will keep looking).

My guess is the EP43 will need a revised DSDT, though I have never looked at an original Gigabyte DSDT from it.

After this, my doubt is : I've tried o follow this guide and the "10.5.7+Windows 7" to install Snow Leopard and Windows 7 but i don't understand what should i change from the second one to make it work perfectly with Snow Leopard. I know that it will be a lot of work but it would be perfect if you could change this one or create another one specifying who to do the Dual Boot.

LOL... one day maybe...

But to be honest, once you learn to understand how this install works and what you need to do for your Snow Leopard on your system, it shouldn't be too hard for you to adapt the Dual Boot guide yourself? :P

But to be honest, once you learn to understand how this install works and what you need to do for your Snow Leopard on your system, it shouldn't be too hard for you to adapt the Dual Boot guide yourself? :P

I've never had luck with Dual Boots (OS' on the same drive) back in the olden days...last year! For me the easiest was to install Windows on a separate hard drive and be done with it. But this doesn't work with a laptop... bummer! With the latest Chameleon, Dual Booting is probably a lot easier.

Hi Johnny V

I've never had luck with Dual Boots (OS' on the same drive) back in the olden days...last year!

Yeah time flies real quick in the OSX86 world.. I only put that dual boot guide together last August but that seems like eon's ago!

For me the easiest was to install Windows on a separate hard drive and be done with it.

Yes, that's by far the easiest option.

With the latest Chameleon, Dual Booting is probably a lot easier.

I don't know if there is or not... I haven't had a separate Windows install on my hack now for ages as I run Vista in a VM.

Wait! What did I miss... when could we run Vista on VM on a hackintosh?

I use VMWare Fusion v2 as V3 requires Intel's Virtualisation technology which for some reason Intel thoughtfully left out from my E7300 ;)

You could also try parallels desktop or there's Virtual box - an open source option.

I have an existing Leopard installation and I want to move chameleon to a separate partition. I know how to install chameleon on a separate partition. However, as I have an chameleon that is installed alongside with Leopard, can anyone tell me if I need to delete boot1h and boot0 under usr/standalone/i386 or should I follow the steps as described in the guideline by ignoring these files.

I've never had luck with Dual Boots (OS' on the same drive) back in the olden days...last year! For me the easiest was to install Windows on a separate hard drive and be done with it. But this doesn't work with a laptop... bummer! With the latest Chameleon, Dual Booting is probably a lot easier.

So using separate hard drives is the better option. Ok. Then the order can be: 1) Installing Windows 7, the drivers and all that stuff on one hard drive. 2) Doing the process in this guide to load Snow Leopard, with the Win7ow's hard drive unplugged. 3) Configure Chamaleon to make it show always the menu and to make it hide the "Cham" partition. Am I correct?

So using separate hard drives is the better option. Ok. Then the order can be: 1) Installing Windows 7, the drivers and all that stuff on one hard drive. 2) Doing the process in this guide to load Snow Leopard, with the Win7ow's hard drive unplugged. 3) Configure Chamaleon to make it show always the menu and to make it hide the "Cham" partition. Am I correct?

Yes you got it. Pull the plug on all OS systems so an OS install doesn't mess with others.

In the end Cham/Snow Leopard hard drive needs to be in the "first" SATA 0 port to access Chameleon.

Not sure if Windows hd needs to be in the SATA 0 port during install but couldn't hurt to use SATA 0 then move it to SATA 1 after Windows install.

I use VMWare Fusion v2 as V3 requires Intel's Virtualisation technology which for some reason Intel thoughtfully left out from my E7300 :)

You could also try parallels desktop or there's Virtual box - an open source option.

Thanks blackosx! I'm installing Fusion as I write. I need Windows for couple reasons... For browser checks during web development and dang Epson isn't totally supporting my Epson 4800 printer in Snow Leopard. This will be great I don't have to boot up into Vista!

Yes you got it. Pull the plug on all OS systems so an OS install doesn't mess with others.

In the end Cham/Snow Leopard hard drive needs to be in the "first" SATA 0 port to access Chameleon.

Not sure if Windows hd needs to be in the SATA 0 port during install but couldn't hurt to use SATA 0 then move it to SATA 1 after Windows install.

Ok. So 1) Installing Windows 7, the drivers and all that stuff on one hard drive on SATA 0 without plugging the one that is for Snow Leopard 2) Doing the process in this guide to load Snow Leopard, with the Win7ow's hard drive unplugged and the Snow Leopard on SATA 0. 3) Plug the Win7ow's hard drive on SATA 1 and keep the Snow Leopard on SATA 0. 4) Configure Chamaleon to make it show always the menu and to make it hide the "Cham" partition

Thank you very much.

To both you, "blackosx" and "Johny V".

Ok. So 1) Installing Windows 7, the drivers and all that stuff on one hard drive on SATA 0 without plugging the one that is for Snow Leopard 2) Doing the process in this guide to load Snow Leopard, with the Win7ow's hard drive unplugged and the Snow Leopard on SATA 0. 3) Plug the Win7ow's hard drive on SATA 1 and keep the Snow Leopard on SATA 0. 4) Configure Chamaleon to make it show always the menu and to make it hide the "Cham" partition

Thank you very much.

To both you, "blackosx" and "Johny V".

Exactly. I'd only recommend not hiding the Cham partition as it makes updating/troubleshooting so much easier having it on the desktop.