[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hi dazz

Some people will build a PC specially for installing OS X on to and others want to test out OS X and install in on the PC hardware they already have. The OSX86 scene exists to help with all the different hardware available. Over the years, various people have put in a lot of hard work to make this possible and for most people it's a hobby, and hobbyists don't mind tinkering etc. If we all wanted the same hardware then we would maybe buy a real Mac.

But yes, the GA-EP45-DS3L is an older board now, but I don't know exactly what's 'replaced' it. But my guides aren't any sort of bible to a hackintosh, they are just my interpretation of what I have learned so far. The main thing to gain from them is an understanding of how it all works. Then once you have this knowledge you can apply it to any of the the popular motherboards found in the wiki. Just gather the required kexts, and any other fixes needed from all the many other guides here.

If I was building a new machine now for a hackintosh I would look at using an i7 processor, so then that narrows my choice of mobo's. etc... But I am happy with mine for now.

But if you cant find a GA-EP45-DS3L, don't worry. If you get a similar board, the community here will help you if you have any questions. So take your time and decide what you want to do.

so you have tried to install from a 10.6 DVD and you know it's not corrupted. Please explain more?...

I tried to install as you described it. I have a 10.5.8 installation. This installation (vanilla) I boot with Chameleon 2.0 RC2. BIOS is modded.

I restored the 10.6 DMG to a USB Drive. The md5 seems to be the right one. If I boot directly from the USB Drive I get a KP. When I start install in 10.5.8 It says that it couldn't validate "essentials" and aborts.

I don't see why it is not working.

in the next few days i will be trying various installmethods from other partitions, dvd and external disks, see if that gives less KPs

Also i will look into upgrading my system (this mobo is over 2 years old) and i will be looking into i7 systems, so dazz keep looking in this thread maybe it will get usefull for you :)

in the next few days i will be trying various installmethods from other partitions, dvd and external disks, see if that gives less KPs

Also i will look into upgrading my system (this mobo is over 2 years old) and i will be looking into 7i systems, so dazz keep looking in this thread maybe it will get usefull for you :wacko:

yeah well 7i systems are still too pricy, too soon to make the jump, maybe in a year or two.

I might up ending going to buy three EP45-UD3

i'll reply longer later

Have you put a bootloader on the front of the USB drive? as Snow's guide (I linked to it on my front page)

Not at my first approach. But I just tested it with a bootloader and it still doesn't work. It still says that it loads setup in 64 bit mode. (-v -x32) Then it gets a KP at 25%. I used Chameleon 2.0 RC2.

I just installed it again from Leopard: Failed, but this time at "additional essentials"

This would be great if you can. I also want to try this but I am very busy at the moment and haven't got that much free time.... so thanks YoYelloW :D

I tried to install as you described it. I have a 10.5.8 installation. This installation (vanilla) I boot with Chameleon 2.0 RC2. BIOS is modded.

I restored the 10.6 DMG to a USB Drive. The md5 seems to be the right one. If I boot directly from the USB Drive I get a KP. When I start install in 10.5.8 It says that it couldn't validate "essentials" and aborts.

Hi dawiinci

The reason I use Chameleon v2 RC1 is because Netkas says so.

I haven't tried the USB install method so I can't talk from experience on that, maybe ask Snow about it?

And the 'couldn't validate "essentials"' message I don't think I have ever seen that and I don't know what it means.

Maybe you need to ask other people who use your mobo? or it might be something to do with your modded BIOS? Sorry, I just don't know.

the file seems to be down . . .

Hi brio2, I have just tried the download link and yes, it failed for me too. It must be an issue at Mediafire's end. Try again a bit later.

hey there,

in the past i used distro to install Leopard.

So i have my problems when it comes to terminal commands and so on.

Now i want to try a retail install with snow leopard (the package is in the milI

well iam working on getting everything ready.

I followed the just funtastic guid of blackosx.

But what i cant figure out is how to copy the boot file to chameleon.

I have an extra partion with chameleon put allm the neede kext in, bootplist and so on.

Than i put the boot fiel to the desktop opened up terminal

cd space the drages the boot file in the terminal window right behind the mv -f/volumes/cham

and hit enter. well no success.

Propably totaly wrong i guess could somebody please explain how to do it.

forgive a noob for such dump request.

Hi there, guys any solution for ALC888 I've looked for it in all the forums. So please guide me to make this work I'll really be thankful to you.

Regards,

This mobo uses ALC888 and with DSDT and LegacyHDA.kext in /Extra/Extensions in this guide, audio works. :|

This mobo uses ALC888 and with DSDT and LegacyHDA.kext in /Extra/Extensions in this guide, audio works. :)

Thanks for your quick response, My mother board is 945PL-S3 i've tried LegacyHDA.kext with DSDT.aml but it is necessary to patch my own DSDT.aml or I can use any patched version for other similar motherboard. I'm using VoodoHDA.kext (64bit)the one you have posted earlier in this post. It is working but I can not get any sound from the speakers. But with LegacyHDA.kext i dont get any output line or input line.

Looking for your kind reply. For further information see the attached DSDT.aml which I am using. I need your help.

Regards,

dsdt.rar

I thought I would try the USB install out for myself so I went to the shops after work today and bought a cheap 8GB USB memory stick - £24.99 from Maplin.

So I booted in to 10.5.8, inserted the USB memory stick, then in Disk Utility I partitioned it as GPT, took my Support Files, installed Chameleon on it using the settings in my guide, added the kexts, DSDT.aml, a com.apple.Boot.plist with the -32 kernel flag, and SMBIOS.plist. Then I restored my SnowLeopard disc image to the USB.

Then I followed steps 1 & 2 of my guide and rebooted. Selected F12 in BIOS for the boot menu, chose hard disk, then the USB drive. It booted in to Chameleon, I left it alone to timeout and it took a number of seconds before it started running the 10.6 installer.

I asked the OS X installer to install to my selected partition and left it running (it said it would take about 30 mins). When I came back to my computer it must have finished, as it had rebooted back in to the default install that I have setup.

I had already built my Cham partition from previous, but if I hadn't then here I would have followed the rest of the guide from step 4 onwards to build my Cham partition.

So anyway, I rebooted back in to the Cham partition and selected my newly installed SnowLeopard and let it boot, I saw the welcome video, answered the questions etc and reached the desktop. I have been at it ever since and typed this from it.

Not one Kernel Panic, I haven't even run any kextcache commands or fixed any permissions! :(

So I can confirm that booting installing from USB is definitely the way to go, just as Stellarolla says in his blog and as Snow showed in his guide. So thanks guys, credit to them.

So if anyone has a USB drive or an 8GB USB memory stick give this a go.. it the dogs! :)

EDIT: I have now updated the guide to v2.0 to include this option.

Thanks for your quick response, My mother board is 945PL-S3 i've tried LegacyHDA.kext with DSDT.aml but it is necessary to patch my own DSDT.aml or I can use any patched version for other similar motherboard. I'm using VoodoHDA.kext (64bit)the one you have posted earlier in this post. It is working but I can not get any sound from the speakers. But with LegacyHDA.kext i dont get any output line or input line.

Hi nomi81.

With a properly patched DSDT with HDEF audio, just adding the LegacyHDA in /E/E works. (Well it does for this mobo). And you do need to build your own DSDT.aml as every machine is different.

VoodooHDA will work but I don't use it anymore and can't give you any support for it.

And although I am happy building an editing a DSDT.aml I am not expert enough to be able to look through your DSDT file and highlight any problems. Sorry

So, I tried your guide but with my GA-945GZM-S2 mobo. When I start up the hard drive after clicking it after the F12, it gives me chameleon, and i click verbose on the Snow drive. It begins to start up, but I get a KP every time. I took a pic of it to see if any of you could take the wording apart and tell me what it means I have wrong.

I used the 32-bit portion of the kexts and followed the guide very closely. I know my DSDT is working because my CMOS doesn't get reset.

errorkp.th.png

Thanks for any help.

SK

So, I tried your guide but with my GA-945GZM-S2 mobo. When I start up the hard drive after clicking it after the F12, it gives me chameleon, and i click verbose on the Snow drive. It begins to start up, but I get a KP every time. I took a pic of it to see if any of you could take the wording apart and tell me what it means I have wrong.

I used the 32-bit portion of the kexts and followed the guide very closely. I know my DSDT is working because my CMOS doesn't get reset.

That very first KP happens when Netkas' PC EFI v10.1 boot file isn't installed in the root of /Cham. Check it's there and if it is, try re-insalling it.

Also how do you know your DSDT is working as you haven't booted 10.6 yet? or have you tested it on a 10.5 system like I recommend?

Hi blackosx. I have a quick question. I want to purchase the retail Snow Leopard, but I see on the site that they are only going to sell the Upgrade version. How would I get the full retail Snow Leopard or is the Upgrade DVD the same?

@blackosx

Thanks for you motivation, at last I've got some time and concentration to build my own DSDT.aml patched with bios reset error fix. I've to really admire you and the guides I've followed up to install the SL as well as to build the DSDT.aml. And after making the DSDT.aml I'd to get the AppleHDA.kext (stock one) which I extracted from SL image. So far every thing is working perfect. Sound is much better. Thanks once more.

That very first KP happens when Netkas' PC EFI v10.1 boot file isn't installed in the root of /Cham. Check it's there and if it is, try re-insalling it.

Also how do you know your DSDT is working as you haven't booted 10.6 yet? or have you tested it on a 10.5 system like I recommend?

I tried reinstalling the bootfile, but that didn't change much. I know the DSDT is working partly, because my CMOS is not reseting every time i try to boot 10.6, and yes, I have tested it in 10.5. I get a similar error, after trying to reinstall the bootfile, but something I see that is big is Unable to find drivers for this platform: \"ACPI\.

If this is a problem, which it could be, when I replaced the boot file, and reset finder to not show hidden files, it still shows the boot file. SHouldn't that be hidden. I saw this, and tried to replace it again with terminal, and it still shows. Could this somehow be the problem. Not sure.

Thanks for the help.

SK

Hi blackosx. I have a quick question. I want to purchase the retail Snow Leopard, but I see on the site that they are only going to sell the Upgrade version. How would I get the full retail Snow Leopard or is the Upgrade DVD the same?

Hi MR2nice, this a good question and I don't know the answer until someone actually has the retail DVD and let's us know.

@blackosx

Thanks for you motivation, at last I've got some time and concentration to build my own DSDT.aml patched with bios reset error fix. I've to really admire you and the guides I've followed up to install the SL as well as to build the DSDT.aml. And after making the DSDT.aml I'd to get the AppleHDA.kext (stock one) which I extracted from SL image. So far every thing is working perfect. Sound is much better. Thanks once more.

Well done nomi81, and thanks for reporting your successful install :thumbsup_anim:

I tried reinstalling the bootfile, but that didn't change much. I know the DSDT is working partly, because my CMOS is not reseting every time i try to boot 10.6, and yes, I have tested it in 10.5. I get a similar error, after trying to reinstall the bootfile, but something I see that is big is Unable to find drivers for this platform: \"ACPI\.

If this is a problem, which it could be, when I replaced the boot file, and reset finder to not show hidden files, it still shows the boot file. SHouldn't that be hidden. I saw this, and tried to replace it again with terminal, and it still shows. Could this somehow be the problem. Not sure.

Hi skball123

Have you got have you got AHCI turned on in the BIOS?

As for the boot file, that's fine. If you have a look at my guide where I show how your Cham folder will look when it's finished, you'll see on mine that it's visible too.

well i tried booting a restored usb stick with the install dvd, went ok, but when i installed (had it in 32bit) installation failed, did the same as blackosx did. will try again and check log to see where it goes wrong, could be that its cus i got no smbios and the system cant recognize my hardware proper on its own?

well i tried booting a restored usb stick with the install dvd, went ok, but when i installed (had it in 32bit) installation failed, did the same as blackosx did. will try again and check log to see where it goes wrong, could be that its cus i got no smbios and the system cant recognize my hardware proper on its own?

Hi YoYelloW

Have you actually tried booting the system you installed from USB? because I went out after I left it installing and came back to my computer which had already rebooted. So I don't know if the install failed or not. But when I booted in to it it worked perfectly.

EDIT: 1st September 2009

(Just reading back through my posts)

I have since done this install from USB again and it does complete with a nice big green tick ;)

Hi YoYelloW

Have you actually tried booting the system you installed from USB? because I went out after I left it installing and came back to my computer which had already rebooted. So I don't know if the install failed or not. But when I booted in to it it worked perfectly.

there is no reboot countdown, when it fails, jsut a message it fails, and keeps showing untill u manually hit restart.

but ill try and see how that goes.

edit: a quick look into diskutil shows that this installs lacks at least 2 gb of files from other clean installs so dont think this will work.

edit2: heh theres no files on the disk at all :)

i tried something else now thou, i restored all my usefiles onto a clean snoleo install, so got my full system snoleo now, next are all the apps im using :) (quite a few :P )

Okay. Thanks for confirming that. So my install from USB must have completed without errors then. I wonder why yours failed?

Well done switching your files over to 10.6.

I have all my apps running apart from cyberduck, and all my docs are on a separate partition anyway so I can access them from what ever system I am running. I love it :)

Okay. Thanks for confirming that. So my install from USB must have completed without errors then. I wonder why yours failed?

Well done switching your files over to 10.6.

I have all my apps running apart from cyberduck, and all my docs are on a separate partition anyway so I can access them from what ever system I am running. I love it :)

i will try it again later and will check logs why it failed

got most of my larger files on a 2tb raid as well :) normally have my main system running on a ssd and then 1 hd partitioned for testing new installs, its so nice and fast, never have waiting time with disks and all.