[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

@brushedtooth & h4ck1nt05h

This is great news. Thanks for confirmation of the terminal commands working but from Single user mode. I think I should update the guide with this.

@HMiller - The MD5 of my .dmg is 1d1fb7eca55470143c153f7f902b4ada

Just wanted to give you guys an update with my Snow Leopard install...

Using LegacyHDA, I always got errors similar to these:

Aug 22 14:41:51 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1459 goto Exit

Aug 22 14:41:51 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 172 goto Exit

Aug 22 14:41:51 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1459 goto Exit

Aug 22 14:41:51 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 172 goto Exit

I tried every one I could find in the forums for the ALC888, but they all came up with something similar to that. I finally got sound working using VoodooHDA.kext (ALC888 on Gigabyte EP35-DS3L). In order to use this, you must boot with 32-bit kernel. Here's how I did it:

1. Launch Terminal and login as root:

sudo -s

[enter your password]

2. Remove any LegacyHDA.kext from /Extra/Extensions:

rm -Rf /Extra/LegacyHDA.kext

3. Download the VoodooHDA.kext from the google code page (just google VoodooHDA)

4. Copy the VoodooHDA.kext to your /System/Library/Extensions folder:

cp -R [drag in VoodooHDA.kext] /System/Library/Extensions

5. Change permissions on the VoodooHDA.kext file (2 commands):

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensons/VoodooHDA.kext

6. Rebuild kextcache (all 1 line):

sudo kextcache -v -l -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

7. Modify your com.apple.Boot.plist file to boot in 32-bit kernel. Change:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

To:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-x32</string>

^^ If you already have kernel flags in place, just add a space and type -x32. This forces OS X to boot with 32-bit kernel, required by VoodooHDA

Reboot! You should now have audio-out. I hope that I can find a solution for 64-bit kernel and sound, but this will do for now.

Good luck!

@ h4ck1nt05h

Thanks for keeping us informed with your install and your input for the installation process is valuable.

Here is a 64bit version of VoodooHDA.

Though, please don't take this the wrong way but I have to say that this is a guide for the GA-EP45-DS3L and although our mobos are similar and there will almost certainly be common ground for installing Snow Leopard, I would like to keep this thread clean and aimed at getting 10.6 installed and optimised for the EP45-DS3L which doesn't include using VoodooHDA. So can I ask kindly for users with different mobo's to not divert the topic away from it's intended purpose and keep specific fixes for those boards somewhere else.

Thanks ;)

Spent a bit more time trying to get things going.

used DSDT patcher 1.0.1e (OSX app) to make my own DSDT file.

Here's my error messages from Verbose mode boot:

"Mac OS X Version: Not yet set"

"Error Code: 0x0000000000000002"

"Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0..../Releasex86_64"

I have set Kernel flag "-x32" in Boot.plist

tried >< setting same 64 bit kernel trying to load.

Ideas? thanks

I haven't messed with UUID error fix or SMBIOS these are more for cosmetic fixes right?, rather then a fix for booting Snow Leopard?

No offense taken ;) I can totally understand that. Thanks for helping me get up and running, I'm now booted in 64-bit kernel and everything is running smoothly. Thanks again for the 64-bit VoodooHDA!

No problem. Thanks for understanding :P I still would like to hear any general hints and tips though :(

@Schwinn555 - I don't know what to say to help you. Everything you need to know is in the guide and here in this thread.

What hardware are you running?

I tried but still hanging here:

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/BackupSL/System/Library/Extensions

sudo kextcache -v -l -t -m /Volumes/BackupSL/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/BackupSL/System/Library/Extensions/

I boot in SL -x32 -v -s (Singel user mode)

After the root prompt i tried the two lines above but i get errors

after chown it says - read only file system

after kextcache it says no Folder Startup/... available

What am i doing wrong.

Tried also to boot up Singel Usere #root with exit into Desktop an tried to make the two lines in terminal befor KP comes up... Same errors...

Where is my error in this?

Also tried OSXTools Kext Cache & Repair Extensions in SL Desktop before KP comes up, but OSXTools do not work...

Is there another way to fix the ownership and clear cache and setup new mkext???

@derpuma: When booting into single-user mode, you must mount the drive as read/write (it's read-only by default). To do this, type:

mount -uw /

It may display a message about removing orphaned files or just return you to the prompt. Either way it is normal and you can now run the commands.

Also, if you are booted to the drive that you are trying to fix, do not include the /Volumes/BackupSL. (You only do this if you are trying to fix a drive other than the SL boot drive you are using) Try running the commands like this:

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions

Press Return. You should not see anything, it should just return you to the prompt if successful.

Then type this all on one line:

kextcache -v -l -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

I always get an error about JMicron.kext dependency, but it works.

Then you can type:

reboot

To restart your computer.

Good luck, hope this helps!

@derpuma - Sorry, I forgot to mention about mounting the drive first.

@h4ck1nt05h - Thanks for helping here and supplying the correct information. I have updated the guide to include this. :)

@squidwardd - Hi mate - Jump onboard.

Thanks for your help. I confess I'm running on an Asus board. Trying another install method getting the same results. It will work in time. Yours was the first one that was straight forward and easy to follow how to do info. later

Thanks for your help. I confess I'm running on an Asus board. Trying another install method getting the same results. It will work in time. Yours was the first one that was straight forward and easy to follow how to do info. later

Ah!.. well thanks for being honest. You should have said from the start to keep any issues / posts relevant for that so as not to confuse this thread with eroneous information for users with the GA-EP45-DS3L. :)

How about creating a signature and adding your system details so other users can help give you accurate info?

But the general principle of this install should work for you though your problem is going to be searching out what kext's and fixes are needed for your board. And I think that patching the DSDT.aml is more important for your board too.

But good luck with it.

tried this, and getting it to boot on my system (DS3P, has same specs overall), thou i keep getting kernal panics when system tries to get into desktop

panics from mdworker, some systemdirecorysd etc. any idea?

i didnt use a homemade SMbios kext maybe that might give problems? (says its a 8.1 imac)

I don't think the SMBIOS will have any influence on the stability of the system.

Other references to this problem I have found all point to repairing permissions and the kextcache command from single user mode. Have to tried Kext Utility? Double click it and let it run in SL to repair permissions.

Hey, i am a few hours in SL and i can say stable and no KP.

Only thing that will not work is sound. Cause I do not have a running WINDOWS System i am not able to make a dsdt.aml File with Sound Option.

Is there another way to do that? Can someone explain how?

I am on a GA-EP35-DS3...

pls :)

Hey :-)

I tried this guide of Blackosx, and got Snow Leopard working - well for a few seconds, since i get a KP shortly after the desktop shows up.

I tried the fixes with booting into single user mode and do chown etc. - no success, still KP shortly after finder comes up.

I had another problem installing Snow Leopard from disk image: the printer drivers won't install, i have to deactivate printer drivers, only then I can install from SL Diskimage.

Can somebody please give me some advice as how to avoid those kernel panics? Or what I should do, to be able to fully install snow leopard, incl. printer drivers?

Thanks

Hey, i am a few hours in SL and i can say stable and no KP.

Only thing that will not work is sound. Cause I do not have a running WINDOWS System i am not able to make a dsdt.aml File with Sound Option.

Is there another way to do that? Can someone explain how?

I am on a GA-EP35-DS3...

pls :rolleyes:

Hi derpuma

Well done for getting SL installed and working. This guide has served its purpose for you.

For generating a DSDT... you don't have access to any Windows PC? how about installing a VM on your Mac? If my DSDT guide doesn't help you then you will have to do some searching, there are plenty of threads on InsanelyMac about DSDT and I am sure someone else out there has your mobo and can help you.

Like I said before, it's great that SL can be installed on other mobos with this guide and the more people who try it, the better. But as far as supporting extra stuff like audio for other mobos goes, that should be in another thread. I say this just to help keep this thread clean and for the purpose it was written for which is the GA-EP45-DS3L.

;)

Can somebody please give me some advice as how to avoid those kernel panics? Or what I should do, to be able to fully install snow leopard, incl. printer drivers?

Hi Professor

As you have already done the Single User mode fix, have you tried the Kext Utility option?

I haven't tried installing with Printer drivers (I did it once ages ago and found i didn't really want 100's of drivers on my system, so never again). Maybe someone else can help with the printer drivers?

Hi derpuma

Well done for getting SL installed and working. This guide has served its purpose for you.

For generating a DSDT... you don't have access to any Windows PC? how about installing a VM on your Mac? If my DSDT guide doesn't help you then you will have to do some searching, there are plenty of threads on InsanelyMac about DSDT and I am sure someone else out there has your mobo and can help you.

Like I said before, it's great that SL can be installed on other mobos with this guide and the more people who try it, the better. But as far as supporting extra stuff like audio for other mobos goes, that should be in another thread. I say this just to help keep this thread clean and for the purpose it was written for which is the GA-EP45-DS3L.

:rolleyes:

Hi Professor

As you have already done the Single User mode fix, have you tried the Kext Utility option?

I haven't tried installing with Printer drivers (I did it once ages ago and found i didn't really want 100's of drivers on my system, so never again). Maybe someone else can help with the printer drivers?

Well, i started kext utility from my Leopard partition. It repaired my Leopard system. Since I can't start it on Snow Leopard (early KP), I don't see any way to get it to repair my Snow Leopard. Or am I doing something wrong here?

Is DSDT absolutely necessary or is it only for Gigabyte mobo's ?

You will need a DSDT so you can add a patch for the CMOS reset bug.

But you can still use device (EFI) strings for video and ethernet if you want.

Well, i started kext utility from my Leopard partition. It repaired my Leopard system. Since I can't start it on Snow Leopard (early KP), I don't see any way to get it to repair my Snow Leopard. Or am I doing something wrong here?

Does your Snow Leopard install KP at exactly the same place everytime? If you boot win Verbose mode does it give you any clues when it does KP?

You will need a DSDT so you can add a patch for the CMOS reset bug.

But you can still use device (EFI) strings for video and ethernet if you want.

Does your Snow Leopard install KP at exactly the same place everytime? If you boot win Verbose mode does it give you any clues when it does KP?

yes, a few seconds after the finder shows up. Since the finder shows up, i have no verbose output anymore, it just crashes.

Have you tried it with just a minimal of kexts, maybe try just with fakesmc.kext only? or maybe even trying only with netkas' SL dsmos.kext? to see if it's a kext issue?

Well, I did a fresh install, to get everything right from the start, but now my installation has a kernel panic right on loading during the first seconds. I for sure have something done wrong, but it's too late to find out now what it was. Will try again another time. Thanks for your support!!!

Blackosx,

First off: Thank you for all your work on these guides, without them I would have never got my hackintosh running!

I am having a bit of trouble with getting snow leopard up, this is the following error I am receiving:

Running fsck on the boot volume....
panic(cpu 3 caller 0xffff8002cbf74): Kernel trap at {Hex and register locations} ...

Error code: 0x00000...0002

Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace (CPU 3), Frame: Return Address {...}

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: fsck_hfs

Mac OS version:
10A432

Basically it seems when I run fsck_hfs on the snow leopard volume it kernel panics... I have done all the dsdt.aml patching and SMBios.plist editing, PlatformUUID stuff, Ignore Ownership etc....nothing seems to work

Thanks

Update: booting in x32 mode gets me past the welcome video, but I still get a KP....I am surprised I can't get that far with x64 mode, I have a core 2 quad with 64bit support