[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hi Blackosx great guide -

I am having a weird problem with Chameleon not defaulting to boot from Snow Leopard Volume -

It show Chem as selected option and fails with missing mach_kernel error -

Here is the com.apple.boot.plist file in /Extra folder on the Chem partition -

---------------------------

I have default partition set to hd (0,3) in my com.apple.boot.plist file -

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,3)</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>EHCIacquire</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>UHCIreset</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>USBBusFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>No</string>

------------------------

Disk util shows snow leopard is on partition 3 - disk 0

Disk Number : 0

Partition Number : 3

Anyone else having this problem ?

Yep, blackosx, it were the gfx drivers (damn you, ati *shakes fist to the sky*). After that it booted.

But about 30secs after logging in I got kp'd, so I wanted to try an USB-installation, but it didn't work out (kernel panic about a minute after it starts copying). So I tried again...and again..and again. And now it works perfectly. No Kernel panic since 30 minutes, posting from 10.6 now.

All I gotta get to work now is graphics (9400GT is on it's way, yay!) and sound...won't work, somehow :D

VoodooHDA.kext is in /Extra, but nothing here...

tnx to everyone who helped so far! you're great! :D

Fragreaver, what do you mean by "I tried again...and again..and again" -- I'm getting that same KP after a minute of install using the USB method. I'm wondering if you did anything that fixed the problem, or just kept trying to install.

:D Gigabyte EP35 DS3L. F5 bios

Followed the guide of blackosx. Everything is working

Great. Thanks for reporting lanja :blink:

After three days of installation hustling I'm now finally finished......

.....Its. Just. Awesome :D

Only thing that doesn't work are screenshots...I hear the noise, but there are no images. Guess that's the missing gfx driver...

On to the application installing, change settings and so on! :D thanks blackosx and masma for the help. Without the GFX hint I'd probably still stuck at that damn smcplugin :D

Again, thanks for reporting back fragreaver. This is great, well done on all your hard work :)

as for masma spotting your graphics driver problem from your system.log... that was fantastic.. so thanks again masma.

Strange about your screenshots not working.

@ dagdu

I don't know if it will make a difference or not, but you are missing the <string></string> from underneath <key>Kernel Flags</key>. If you don't want to use anything in the string, just leave it blank in between the ><

But if you change the Default Partition from hd(0,3) to something else, do you see any change at all?

- Why are you using Chameleon V2 RC1 (and not RC2) ?

- can anyone suggest a Firewire PCI card which works OOB with EP45-DS3L + 10.6 (or at least 10.5.8)?

Hi g_h.

I chose to use Chameleon v2 RC1 just because Netkas' notes for PC EFI v10.1 says to. I haven't tried using RC2 but if you do then please let me know how you get on.

Hopefully someone can help your with the firewire card

:)

One thing I noticed was that your boot file is 299KB vs. mine which is 292KB. Permissions are also different, most belonging to root:wheel.

I tried downgrading from a beta BIOS (F5f) and patched a new DSDT.aml for it. Works in 10.5.8, still no go in 10.6. Used netkas' PC_EFI v10.1 installer instead of Chameleon RC1, same KP. Added JMicronATAInjector and other ATA kexts, KPed again. Tweaked some CPU settings related to thermal control, no go. Booting from the pre-installed Snow Leopard installation or Install DVD panics at the same location.

I really have no clue as to why it doesn't work. Maybe it's because of my IDE DVD Drive? System specs are listed below.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 - 2.67GHz

1GB Corsair 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM x2 (Dual Channel)

EVGA 8800GTX 786MB Overclocked Edition

Western Digital 80GB SATAII Drive x2

Western Digital 320GB SATAII Drive (Storage)

Pioneer IDE DVD+RW Drive <-- Could be the cause of problems?

@Simonia

Well done for trying lots of different things.

Maybe post a couple of screenshots of your root file structures in finder / Terminal. Is the KP the same as you had in your previous post?

IIRC, RC2 won't boot 64bit.

Thanks for the pointing that out :D

everything is working for me in 64 bits (except very slow afp and smb transferts), thank you very much for the tutorial, just a last question, how can I hide the "Cham" icon on my desktop ? (and sorry for my bad english I'm french ;) )

One thing I noticed was that your boot file is 299KB vs. mine which is 292KB. Permissions are also different, most belonging to root:wheel.

I tried downgrading from a beta BIOS (F5f) and patched a new DSDT.aml for it. Works in 10.5.8, still no go in 10.6. Used netkas' PC_EFI v10.1 installer instead of Chameleon RC1, same KP. Added JMicronATAInjector and other ATA kexts, KPed again. Tweaked some CPU settings related to thermal control, no go. Booting from the pre-installed Snow Leopard installation or Install DVD panics at the same location.

I really have no clue as to why it doesn't work. Maybe it's because of my IDE DVD Drive? System specs are listed below.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 - 2.67GHz

1GB Corsair 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM x2 (Dual Channel)

EVGA 8800GTX 786MB Overclocked Edition

Western Digital 80GB SATAII Drive x2

Western Digital 320GB SATAII Drive (Storage)

Pioneer IDE DVD+RW Drive <-- Could be the cause of problems?

I seems I have a similar problem. I am running 10.5.8 beautifully with the DSDT Guide. Got a Snow Leopard DVD and tried the USB Boot method using my dsdt from 10.5.8 and the guide and files provided by blackosx. Every time i try to boot from the USB Stick I get a KP. My system specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400—2.83 GHz

4 GB OCZ 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (Dual Channel)

XFX GeForce 8600GTS 256 MB

Seagate 500 GB HDD

Seagate 1 TB HDD

Samsung 500 GB HDD

Asus SATA II DVD±RW

LG IDE DVD Drive

I removed all kexts except for fakesmc.kext, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext and PlatformUUID.kext but that didn't help either. Unfortunately the text is moving too fast when booting up so I cannot read anything and when the KP appears there's only nonsense on the screen.

Edit: sorry i forgot to mention I have a GA-EP45-DS3LR

I'm replying to this thread in response to this post.

blackosx, strangely, after I migrated my whole user account from the 10.5.7 install, sleep worked alright.

But a new problem has occurred. While indexing, Spotlight now caused a KP. I tried rebuilding the cache several times, repaired permissions several times. Unplugged my NTFS drives and so on. It still causes KPs.

btw, I'm running in 32bit mode as I want the best possible compatibility. I dont see where I would use more than 32Gb Ram anyway.

For now I just removed all HDDs form Spotlight and that stops the KPs.

@blackosx, I am officially giving up. I tried the video only EFI string. That didn't help. Booting in single user mode did not help (Kernel Panic... something to do with IOStorageFamily.kext). I removed all the extra kexts except the two you mentioned were needed. I generated the DSDT.aml again with -newHPET option as mentioned in the readme. I did not edit it for the CMOS fix to save time but using the new DSDT did not help. I also renamed the dsdt.aml from lowercase to uppercase (DSDT.aml) since some people mentioned that helps. But I still keep getting kernel panics (no specific kext is mentioned, I just see register addresses).

I am going to wait a week or so for someone to come up with a more reliable way.

In the meantime, my existing install of Leopard is acting weird. I noticed a dsdt.aml in the root folder where there should not be one (mine is a hacked install, not vanilla). The Date Changed on the file is yesterday's the same as when I generated the other dsdt.aml. I am not sure how it got there but I get freezes in Finder which go away when I switch off the external drive with SL install. Also, my Windows Vista did not boot this morning. I don't know how that happened but the whole idea of using the external HD was to leave my primary OS untouched. Looks like that didn't work either. I am tired of all the searching and reading.

Had KP a few second after star But Find a solution Change the SATA Cable position in the Motherboard :wacko:

Can I switch between 32-64bits changing the Apropiate without problem? or is better stick with one?

BTW what is the advantage of use 64 bit over 32 for examaple using Final Cut Studio 3?

Thanks

I'm also getting a KP when it tries to run the fsck.

I've got the full screen of output posted here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182854

this is on a GA-EP35-DS3R which also uses the 889a audio codec.

I'll try what you recommeded above in the reinstall as well, blackosx.

BTW - your guide is AWESOME! It's obvious you've put hours and hours into making this ..

Apart from official Apple support, this is great!

Thanks a million!

everything is working for me in 64 bits (except very slow afp and smb transferts), thank you very much for the tutorial, just a last question, how can I hide the "Cham" icon on my desktop ? (and sorry for my bad english I'm french :) )

Great news ;). No Problem.

One way to hide your Cham partition from the Finder would be in Terminal type...

chflags hidden /Volumes/Cham

and then to see it again

chflags nohidden /Volumes/Cham

EDIT: I have just tried a smb transfer for a 1.8GB file and it took 4 minutes!... So I agree, not very quick (I will have to have a look in to that when I get some time)

Unfortunately the text is moving too fast when booting up so I cannot read anything and when the KP appears there's only nonsense on the screen.

@spiky1984

In Chameleon, after you have highlighted your boot device, in this case 'SnowLeopard', press enter to boot it, then immediately press the pause button on your keyboard. Then you can tap another key to start again, pause key to pause etc.. This will, you will be able to read what's printed on the screen ;)

I'm replying to this thread in response to this post.

blackosx, strangely, after I migrated my whole user account from the 10.5.7 install, sleep worked alright.

But a new problem has occurred. While indexing, Spotlight now caused a KP......

....For now I just removed all HDDs form Spotlight and that stops the KPs.

Thanks for continuing your great post about your successful install here :D

Good to hear you have sleep working, but as for your spotlight issue, I think there's a thread on here somewhere about spotlight issues. At least you have a workaround for now.

@blackosx

Your guide works splendidly. I now have SL running very well with everything working except Bonjour. When you mention to build an Extensions.mkext, which kexts do you have in the E/E folder? I tried various combinations and nothing lets me have Bonjour with the built-in network card. I read somewhere that IONetworkingFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext are necessary along with the RealtekR1000.kext but it seems that the first two are already in the System/Library. Should I use an older version of those kexts? If so, do I remove the newer ones from S/L?

Thanks for your guide ;)

My hardware is GA-EP45-DS3L with 4GB 800MHz DDR, Q6600 and 9800GTX+ graphics. I also have an IDE DVD drive, but I doubt that's what's causing the Bonjour problems. Also, I'm using a DSDT that includes video, audio, and network (with the Lan0 option).

Attachments: My Cham partition and permissions for it.

terminal.tifffinder.tiff

@blackosx, I am officially giving up.......

.... mine is a hacked install, not vanilla.....

I am tired of all the searching and reading.

Okay yelloguy. Well at least you have a good go at it.

I do think performing a SL install is easier if you are used to using a retail install. As you know what's changed in your system to get it working. With the 'hacked' installs it's hard to know exactly what files have been used to get your system running, which kexts have been hacked, what versions those are etc.

Have another go when you feel ready.

Had KP a few second after star But Find a solution Change the SATA Cable position in the Motherboard :)

Can I switch between 32-64bits changing the Apropiate without problem? or is better stick with one?

BTW what is the advantage of use 64 bit over 32 for examaple using Final Cut Studio 3?

Thanks

So have you got it up and running? if so then well done :)

I have chosen to stick with 32-bit, but I can happily switch to 64-bit with out any problems apart from Bonjour.

As for the advantage of using 64-bit over 32-bit in Final Cut Studio 3? - I couldn't tell you as I don't use it.

I'm also getting a KP when it tries to run the fsck.

....this is on a GA-EP35-DS3R which also uses the 889a audio codec.

.....I'll try what you recommeded above in the reinstall as well, blackosx.

Thanks desau13.

Someone else here had a KP at fsck before, but I don't know if they ever got it sorted. But I couldn't help ;)

Hopefully you can get it to work.

@blackosx

Your guide works splendidly. I now have SL running very well with everything working except Bonjour. When you mention to build an Extensions.mkext, which kexts do you have in the E/E folder? I tried various combinations and nothing lets me have Bonjour with the built-in network card. I read somewhere that IONetworkingFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext are necessary along with the RealtekR1000.kext but it seems that the first two are already in the System/Library. Should I use an older version of those kexts? If so, do I remove the newer ones from S/L?

Hi kreayshunist

Thanks and well done, Good to hear about another successful install :D

I looks like you have done everything correctly for trying to get Bonjour working. The only kext I have differently to you is Disabler.kext for my QT Mouse fix. (I know SleepEnabler now includes this but I haven't had time to test it yet :))

You are using 32-bit? as 64-bit Bonjour doesn't work. I used IONetworkingFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext for my 10.5.7 install you don't need to touch them this time as the Extensions.mkext includes all the extensions.

Hi kreayshunist

Thanks and well done, Good to hear about another successful install :)

I looks like you have done everything correctly for trying to get Bonjour working. The only kext I have differently to you is Disabler.kext for my QT Mouse fix. (I know SleepEnabler now includes this but I haven't had time to test it yet ;))

You are using 32-bit? as 64-bit Bonjour doesn't work. I used IONetworkingFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext for my 10.5.7 install you don't need to touch them this time as the Extensions.mkext includes all the extensions.

It seems that the SleepEnabler is working then because I get absolutely no mouse lag ;)

Yes, I am using 32-bit. I haven't really had time to try 64-bit yet.

One other thing I noticed: IORegistryExplorer reports the network card as AppleRTL8169Ethernet with model RTL8168C. Is your computer the same?

It seems that the SleepEnabler is working then because I get absolutely no mouse lag ;)

Yes, I am using 32-bit. I haven't really had time to try 64-bit yet.

One other thing I noticed: IORegistryExplorer reports the network card as AppleRTL8169Ethernet with model RTL8168C. Is your computer the same?

Thanks, I will have to get round to adding the new SleepEnabler

For IORegistryExplorer, as I have got RealtekR1000 loaded I get this (see attached). I have also attached a screengrab of NetworkUtility. They both show mine as RTL8169.

post-331032-1251655459_thumb.png

post-331032-1251655464_thumb.png

Thanks, I will have to get round to adding the new SleepEnabler

For IORegistryExplorer, as I have got RealtekR1000 loaded I get this (see attached). I have also attached a screengrab of NetworkUtility. They both show mine as RTL8169.

That may be the reason Bonjour isn't working for me. Is there a way to force load a driver? Other than possibly installing RealtekR1000.kext in S/L I have no other ideas. Shouldn't Chameleon load it from E/E? Sorry if I seem a little clueless as the bulk of my experience is on Apple machines.

That may be the reason Bonjour isn't working for me. Is there a way to force load a driver? Other than possibly installing RealtekR1000.kext in S/L I have no other ideas. Shouldn't Chameleon load it from E/E? Sorry if I seem a little clueless as the bulk of my experience is on Apple machines.

to see if your RealtekR1000.kext is loaded, you can load up Terminal and type

sudo kextstat

that will give you a list of all loaded extensions.

with regard to loading kexts manually, load up Terminal and type

man kextload

to read about options

You should be able to switch between 32 & 64bit fine. Although some users have reported one working better than the other, or one resulting in a KP.

Here's the actual kernel panic I'm getting while installing from USB / HDD and actually in my working Installation, randomly. Getting really annoying. Already completely removed IOATAFamily.kext, but there's more to it..

Maybe anyone can help out...

post-62492-1251670156_thumb.jpg

So ... I wanted to play with SL and i saw cheap used EP45-DS3L you are using so i bought it :-)

First of all thanks for amazing guide and your hard work. I managed to have almost fully functional SL. I just have few notes.

• There is actually little mistake in DSDT tutorial. I have 8800 GTX card and there was no PEGP anywhere, however i needed to add it to make graphic driver work properly. No complain just detail.
  • I had to delete AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext for HD video from itunes to play on my display, but i guess that is older problem not related to SL or your tutorial. Just adding it in case somebody runs into same problem.
  • So I have only 2 little problems. Bonjour is not working because I am using x64 version and afaik there is no known fix for that. What worries me more is that SPDIF passtrough is not working for me. I found similar cases but it was always needed to patch AppleHDA.kext somehow. Is there any way to make it work only via DSDT ?

And 1 thing to add. Since i don't have 8GB usb drive at disposal and no place to backup external HDDs, I partitioned one internal drive with 2 partitions Install and Leopard installed iPC Leopard and from there i did same steps only instead USB drive I used Install partition on that drive. So actually you don't really need USB drive to make it work it can be replaced by internal drive.

I have a GA-G31M-S2L, and these directions worked fine. I restored the DVD to a partition on my hard drive (I don't have an 8GB flash drive), and installed pcefi 10.2 onto a USB stick and used that to boot the Installer partition. Somehow, I was actually able to boot the installer, install, and boot into my new install with only one kext in /E/E on the USB stick, fakesmc.kext. I have graphics with EFI strings, but no sound yet, and I still get the UUID Error 35 in the console. (This is all with the 32 bit kernel though. Not sure if I want to go for 64, considering how nice this is working)

post-250-1251672714_thumb.png

I wasn't able to get Snow Leopard to successfully install from a USB drive, it would KP after a minute or two of installation. I'm not sure what was causing that: I tried installing it several time, all with the same options selected, and it would halt at different positions through the install -- bizarre.

I was able to get a working setup by using the method in which you install from 10.5.8. I repaired permissions by using the Kext Utility Tool in Snow Leopard after an initial KP. If anyone else is having trouble with the USB install method, maybe this is the way to go.

By the way, I'm using a tested DDST file, and running BIOS revision F8 on my EP45-DS3L with a EXGA 9800 GTX+ video card.

Thanks for the awesome guides! Without them my system would never have been possible.