[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

i will try it again later and will check logs why it failed

got most of my larger files on a 2tb raid as well :) normally have my main system running on a ssd and then 1 hd partitioned for testing new installs, its so nice and fast, never have waiting time with disks and all.

If the logs show anything to why it failed then that would be good to know.

2TB Raid and main system running on an SSD.. Wow.. that's some serious setup you have there :)

What Geekbench score does your system get?

I just can't get this kittie to boot ;)

Mobo is a GA-EP45-DS3L...so far so good.

Followed your guide step by step (except for that extra cham partition), it always hangs at ACPI_SMC_Platform Plugin.

Even with the retail dvd (the image I tried before seemed to be corrupted) there's no way to boot it. Same from USB.

Is there a Bios setting I'm missing? Could you post yours? I'm getting desperate over here. The betas all ran fine, 10.5.6 works like a charm... :wacko:

There are a lot of FIXME-Errors in system.log, but since I can't get the system to even boot, I can't fix them :)

I've successfully created my dsdt file (tested in 10,5,8) and have a retail Snow Leopard DVD. But do I need 2 internal hard drives ? Because I can't create a "Cham" partition on my actual hard drive before the "hackintosh System" partition ;)

image1ags.th.png

Thanks !

I've successfully created my dsdt file (tested in 10,5,8) and have a retail Snow Leopard DVD. But do I need 2 internal hard drives ? Because I can't create a "Cham" partition on my actual hard drive before the "hackintosh System" partition ;)

image1ags.th.png

Thanks !

u can use a simple usb flashdisk as champartition as well if u set ur mobo to boot from teh usbdisk

Hi plipli

On the front page of this thread, one of the requirements reads....

• A running OS X system to install from (I can't make a bootCD yet) and a second hard drive to install on to.

So yes, you do need a second HD.

although you could use your current system to build a bootable USB drive and the use it to wipe your current system and install SL. But I would NOT recommend that because if the install fails in any way, you will be left with a useable system

Guess I'll give up on this one...

• Everything done like in the tutorial

• Added Extensions.mkext to /Extra

• tried both architectures

• tried multiple images + retail

• tried usb method

• fixed permissions

• created extensions.mkext in /S/L/Caches/com.apple.boot.caches/Startup/

Same thing everytime... it stalls at ACPI_SMC plugin (timeout), even when I try to boot the image from usb.

Bios settings are the same as yours, blackosx...I just don't get that :rolleyes:

Yep, F10...I'm running out of ideas :/

h4ck1nt05h, what did you do to overcome those FIXME bugs (and get past that smc plugin timeout)?

that's exactly where it hangs...

ug 22 17:52:40 iMac kernel[0]: DSMOS has arrived

Aug 22 17:52:45iMac kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

What motherboard and video card are you using? It would be a great idea to add this to your signature so those who might be able to help know where you are coming from........

Yep, F10...I'm running out of ideas :/

h4ck1nt05h, what did you do to overcome those FIXME bugs (and get past that smc plugin timeout)?

that's exactly where it hangs...

I love a challenge as much as anyone or I wouldn't be here now; but:

Per WSJ-Mossberg:

"Apple's Snow Leopard operating system improves upon its predecessor, writes Walt Mossberg. But it isn't a big breakthrough for average users, and it isn't a typical Apple lust-provoking product."

I wonder if the view is worth the climb?

Guess I'll give up on this one...

• Everything done like in the tutorial

• Added Extensions.mkext to /Extra

• tried both architectures

• tried multiple images + retail

• tried usb method

• fixed permissions

• created extensions.mkext in /S/L/Caches/com.apple.boot.caches/Startup/

Same thing everytime... it stalls at ACPI_SMC plugin (timeout), even when I try to boot the image from usb.

Bios settings are the same as yours, blackosx...I just don't get that :(

did u try different settings in ur bios that have anything to do with acpi?

So, after deleting some unnecessary kext files (as described in the thread), clearing caches, creating new mkext...still nothing :(

According to the log, it has something to do with the Keyboardsetupassistant:

Aug 28 07:25:36 localhost bootlog[36]: BOOT_TIME: 1251469527 0
Aug 28 07:25:27 localhost com.apple.launchd[1]: *** launchd[1] has started up. ***
Aug 28 07:25:27 localhost com.apple.launchd[1]: *** Verbose boot, will log to /dev/console. ***
Aug 28 07:25:31 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.aslmanager): Bug: launchd_core_logic.c:4562 (23932):2
Aug 28 07:25:31 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.aslmanager): Path monitoring failed on "/var/log/asl/SweepStore": No such file or directory
Aug 28 07:25:38 localhost fseventsd[28]: event logs in /.fseventsd out of sync with volume.  destroying old logs. (327 11 401)
Aug 28 07:25:38 localhost fseventsd[28]: log dir: /.fseventsd getting new uuid: 9FE4CB95-BB69-4F6A-9674-3B9FC4A447AF
Aug 28 07:25:38 localhost DirectoryService[32]: Improper shutdown detected
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.smb.sharepoints[19]): Exited with exit code: 71
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost mDNSResponder[23]: mDNSResponder mDNSResponder-212.1 (Jul 24 2009 22:34:12) starting
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost pcscd[48]: Non-smartcard device launched pcscd [Vendor: 0X54C, Product: 0X155]
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost com.apple.usbmuxd[15]: usbmuxd-167.1 built for iTunesEightTwo on Jul  9 2009 at 14:02:00, running 32 bit
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost auditd[51]: Auditing enabled
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost auditd[51]: Got low space trigger
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost auditd[51]: auditd_read_dirs(): all audit log directories over soft limit
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost auditd[51]: renamed /var/audit/20090828142529.not_terminated to /var/audit/20090828142529.20090828142540
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost auditd[51]: New audit file is /var/audit/20090828142540.not_terminated
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost _mdnsresponder[60]: audit warning: allsoft
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost _mdnsresponder[59]: audit warning: soft /var/audit
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost _mdnsresponder[61]: audit warning: closefile /var/audit/20090828142529.20090828142540
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost configd[34]: network configuration changed.
Aug 28 07:25:41 localhost com.apple.kextd[10]: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/JMicronATA.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.
Aug 28 07:25:41 localhost com.apple.kextd[10]: Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/JMicronATA.kext - (libkern/kext) requested architecture/executable not found.
Aug 28 07:25:41 localhost com.apple.kextd[10]: Load com.jmicron.JMicronATA failed; removing personalities.
Aug 28 07:25:42 localhost /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[24]: Login Window Application Started
Aug 28 07:25:43 localhost mds[22]: (Normal) DiskStore: Reindexing /.Spotlight-V100/Store-V1/Stores/28269874-9970-4841-86D1-E9A368ECB856 because Snow Leopard must index the Snow Leopard partition.
Aug 28 07:25:43 localhost mds[22]: (Normal) DiskStore: Rebuilding index for /
Aug 28 07:25:43 localhost mds[22]: (Normal) DiskStore: Creating index for /
Aug 28 07:25:45 localhost configd[34]: network configuration changed.
Aug 28 07:26:11: --- last message repeated 2 times ---
Aug 28 07:26:11 localhost WindowServer[64]: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
Aug 28 07:26:11 localhost com.apple.WindowServer[64]: Fri Aug 28 07:26:11 localhost WindowServer[64] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
Aug 28 07:26:13 localhost loginwindow[24]: USER_PROCESS: 24 console
Aug 28 07:26:17 localhost auditd[51]: Got low space trigger
Aug 28 07:26:17 localhost auditd[51]: auditd_read_dirs(): all audit log directories over soft limit
Aug 28 07:26:17 localhost auditd[51]: renamed /var/audit/20090828142540.not_terminated to /var/audit/20090828142540.20090828142617
Aug 28 07:26:17 localhost auditd[51]: New audit file is /var/audit/20090828142617.not_terminated
Aug 28 07:26:17 localhost _mdnsresponder[85]: audit warning: allsoft
Aug 28 07:26:17 localhost _mdnsresponder[86]: audit warning: soft /var/audit
Aug 28 07:26:17 localhost _mdnsresponder[87]: audit warning: closefile /var/audit/20090828142540.20090828142617

------snip------
Aug 28 07:26:26 localhost Setup Assistant[74]: Error loading /System/Library/CoreServices/KeyboardSetupAssistant.app/Contents/Resources/common.bundle/Contents/MacOS/common:  dlopen(/System/Library/CoreServices/KeyboardSetupAssistant.app/Contents/Resources/common.bundle/Contents/MacOS/common, 265): no suitable image found.  Did find:\n	/System/Library/CoreServices/KeyboardSetupAssistant.app/Contents/Resources/common.bundle/Contents/MacOS/common: mach-o, but wrong architecture
------snip------

Aug 28 07:27:17 localhost com.apple.kextcache[93]: /System/Library/Extensions/JMicronATA.kext doesn't support architecture x86_64; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Aug 28 07:27:24 localhost com.apple.kextcache[93]: Created prelinked kernel /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache_x86_64.A701C40B.

This should actually load with x64, or not? Hangs at the same with -x32 :/

/System/Library/CoreServices/KeyboardSetupAssistant.app/Contents/Resources/common.bundle/Contents/MacOS/common: mach-o, but wrong architecture

This should actually load with x64, or not? Hangs at the same with -x32 :/

Well that error does imply that the 'common' binary is compiled for a different architecture than what you're booting, but if you have tried both 32-bit and 64-bit then it can't be that, can it?

Your log continues on further, so is there anything else in there?

So when you boot, does your machine still hang at ..

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

No, there's nothing more to this. And yes, with -x32 as kernel flag, it's stuck there, too.

And no, it doesn't hang there anymore. I removed those kext files (APPLE_SMC_Platformplugin.kext or what's it called :) )

Then I don't know anymore. I have not had this problem you're having so I have never had to attempt to troubleshoot it.

Sorry fragreaver, but you have exhausted my ideas on this too :) Hopefully someone will come up with answer for you.

Hope so...moving 230gigs off another drive so I can do a complete and clean step by step-installation...we'll see if it works =)

Weird...with 10A380, I just had to install chameleon, disabler and dsmos.kext and it worked. More or less, without graphic drivers :)

not sure if I'm missing something but

Why you always mention DSDT.aml but in your guide you use EFI v10.1 (without a DSDT. aml)

in 5C you mention the commad ccd are you taking about cd?

I can start up with your Files but (without Video recognized but when I try to use EFI v10 have a panic I think is because when I download it is reconized as a text file and not as a Unix Command)

Thanks

I think Snow Leopard may have tamed it's master today. I've followed your guide thoroughly, with the exceptions of creating a Cham partition and using cp -f boot /Volumes/Snow\ Leopard. Tried slipstreaming the bootloader into a restored retail disc image (bought from the shops today, gotta love the fact that Australia gets things 12 hours earlier ;-P) and installing from OSInstall.mpkg from my 10.5.8 install.

Everytime Snow Leopard boots with only the necessary kexts that you provide as well as netkas' PC_EFI 10.1, it kernel panics straight away. All methods I could think of short of destroying my hard drive doesn't work. Same chipset, but slightly different mobo model (GA-EP45-UD3L). My DSDT is working with the CMOS fix and your Leopard guide worked perfectly, down to the same kexts required.

I'd appreciate any help that you can give. Seriously stuck and tired here ;(.

not sure if I'm missing something but

Why you always mention DSDT.aml but in your guide you use EFI v10.1 (without a DSDT. aml)

in 5C you mention the commad ccd are you taking about cd?

I can start up with your Files but (without Video recognized but when I try to use EFI v10 have a panic I think is because when I download it is reconized as a text file and not as a Unix Command)

Thanks

PC EFI v10.1 will boot a system without a DSDT.aml but your CMOS will still error if you don't include the fix in a DSDT.aml.

Well spotted, the ccd in section 5c of the guide is a typo, it should be cd. I will have to fix that.

If your PC EFI v10.1 boot file is not recognised correctly then try downloading it again from Netkas' website and install that.

@Simonia.

With regard to your kernel panic, and in fact to anybody else who has a kernel panic, can you possibly supply a photograph of it to make it easier to try and decipher. Thanks ;)

Hm, even a fresh reinstall on a clean drive gets me the same error...it's a shame :)

Still the same error because of KeyboardSetupAssistent... ;) I'll try the KSA from Leopard and see if it works....

edit� naaah, would've been way too easy :/

Ahh no.. I was hoping your next attempt might work..

If it helps your case or anybody else's I have put links to pictures of all my BIOS settings on the front page of this thread.

Well , I have done a first attempt, after reading carefully blackosx's guide, but have performed the initial method (without USB pen). I have a com.apple.boot.plist with my preferences, my graphics card string and 32bits snow leopard as system prefered. I have got a dsdt with all excepting graphics card, which is described as generic nvidia 512 mb graphics card.

I think I have performed everything step by step, but after first reboot I have got a message that ask me to restart my system (right after apple logo).

I thing it has to be with fact that my dsdt.asl is not good compiled.

Meanwhile I have prepared a USB pen with the other method just in case I need to perform the other method.

See you :)