[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

@macastragalos

Hi mate :)

Does your DSDT.aml work with your 10.5.8 system? if yes, then it will work with 10.6.

Can you reboot your SnowLeopard partition from Chameleon with the Verbose mode and post a photo of where it kernel panics?

Thanks Blackosx, it worked GREAT on my GA-EP35-DS3L. :(

Though, it seems like the catalog (for Disk Utility: "No installer packages can be found for this disk") is broken since I installed it from Leopard. Tried using a 16GB flash drive, but I hadn't figured out how to get my 4850 working at the time. Turns out GFX EFI string was a key for that. Someone said to reinstall BSD.pkg for the catalog, but I don't think it worked correctly.

Oh, and I had to use Chameleon on a USB flash drive because it kept booting to my old Leopard EFI partition even when I set the new Cham as active (fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 then flag 3).

I am stuck on the first step: creating DSDT. My comp is a Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop. I want to know if the options I would select for making DSDT would be different. Is there a thread for building DSDTs that is not mobo specific? I tried a google search of this forum but didn't see anything useful.

Thanks Blackosx, it worked GREAT on my GA-EP35-DS3L. :(

Though, it seems like the catalog (for Disk Utility: "No installer packages can be found for this disk") is broken since I installed it from Leopard. Tried using a 16GB flash drive, but I hadn't figured out how to get my 4850 working at the time. Turns out GFX EFI string was a key for that. Someone said to reinstall BSD.pkg for the catalog, but I don't think it worked correctly.

Oh, and I had to use Chameleon on a USB flash drive because it kept booting to my old Leopard EFI partition even when I set the new Cham as active (fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 then flag 3).

Hi FierceDeityLink1

This is great :( Thanks for reporting a successful install.

Well done for sorting your 4850 and for taking the initiative to try something different to get Chameleon to work.

How can I help with the Disk Utility catalogue, as I am not too sure what you mean, can you explain more?

Hi FierceDeityLink1

This is great :( Thanks for reporting a successful install.

Well done for sorting your 4850 and for taking the initiative to try something different to get Chameleon to work.

How can I help with the Disk Utility catalogue, as I am not too sure what you mean, can you explain more?

Yeah, the error was just "No installer packages can be found for this disk" when I try to use Disk Utility to repair permissions. Now that I re-installed BSD.pkg, it will do a really quick scan and not fix anything, so I'm thinking it only indexed that one package. I think it's missing the receipts.

I think the permission issue goes away using a BaseSystem.pkg receipt from a working SL install... this file is in Library\Receipts directory... can anobody confirm that? I haven't got such a file in that directory... the problem is caused by the lack of this file, according to many official apple post about this problem.

I am stuck on the first step: creating DSDT. My comp is a Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop. I want to know if the options I would select for making DSDT would be different. Is there a thread for building DSDTs that is not mobo specific? I tried a google search of this forum but didn't see anything useful.

Hi yelloguy.

I can suggest you read Koalala's thread. It's a big thread, requires a lot of reading, it contains a lot of information and you will find posts from users with nearly every type of motherboard.

But my guide which I have link to at the start of this thread, serves the purpose of an introduction to DSDT. And you can apply that to any system, just get the BIOS file for you mobo and run IORegistryExplorer on your current OS X install on your Dell to get the hardware locations etc..

Give it a try

Yeah, the error was just "No installer packages can be found for this disk" when I try to use Disk Utility to repair permissions. Now that I re-installed BSD.pkg, it will do a really quick scan and not fix anything, so I'm thinking it only indexed that one package. I think it's missing the receipts.

I have just tried this too on my system (the one that I did with OSInstall.mpkg) and I get the same message "No installer packages can be found for this disk"!

EDIT: Interesting!.. I have just booted in to my install I did from the USB and Disk Utility repaired permissions as normal!

So I can conclude, my main install which I did with the OSInstall.mpkg method then repaired with the terminal permissions, kextcache etc. is the cause of this issue.

EDIT: When booted in my install from USB (the one that I have never had a KP with), I loaded up Disk Utility and and selected my SnowLeopard install (the one that I did with OSInstall.mpkg) and clicked 'Repair Disk' and it repaired fine reporting 'The volume SnowLeopard appears to be OK.'

But on rebooting back in to the SnowLeopard system, loading Disk Utility and clicking Repair Disk Permissions, I still get the 'Error: No Installer packages can be found for this disk'.

So I guess the installer packages needed will be on the system I installed from the USB.

Running into this myself. It appears you cannot install from a disk image, that's what causes this problem in Disk Utility. Also, you probably won't get this error if you use the USB stick method. I read another thread about this same error and if you can get a working SL install running, either use the USB stick method OR install from the retail disk and you won't get this problem.

Just got my disk from a Seattle Apple store. Will try it out and let you know.

ADD: confirmed! You must use the Memory stick method of installing or the full retail disk. Disk Utility works like a dream!!!

I checked my current installation (10.5.7, 64bit-enabled in userspace) for anything special. From what I can see, I only have made the following customisations:

• installed basic chameleon, no extra extensions.

• added network card as efi string

• AppleHDA.kext for Audio

• AppleDecrypt.kext

• OpenHaltRestart.kext

• NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

From what I can see, this is mostly vanilla, except for NullCPUPowerManagement...we'll see ;)

Everything runs super stable, no kernel panics at all, all hardware functional. I'll get 10A380 again and check again what I did to get it running, although I can remember that is was not much more than a clean install, add few kext files and chameleon...bam, it worked.

Things different from your setup:

• no dsdt.aml (neither in /Extras/ nor in / )

I'll try that tomorrow...thanks to that rtc bug I'm not able to abandon the dsdt.aml ;)

With regard to your kernel panic, and in fact to anybody else who has a kernel panic, can you possibly supply a photograph of it to make it easier to try and decipher. Thanks ;)

I hope I didn't truncate any important messages on the sides.

post-176538-1251517166_thumb.jpg

I too am getting the same kernel panic shown above. I have a Gigabyte GA-EP45T-DS3R and am currently running 10.5.8 without any issues. I tried installing a retail Snow Leopard I received today and I too get a kernel panic on first boot immediately after loading of extensions. Have also tried on my GA-P35-DS3L with the same result.

I installed my retail copy from the DVD while booted into my Leopard install by running the OSIntaller.mpkg from Terminal. Afterward I installed Chameleon 2.0 RC1 using the EFI HFS method and replaced the boot file with EFI 10.1. I have a dsdt.aml with the RTC fix in Extra/ and the kexts I have in the Extra/Extensions folder are (all 64 bit versions):

• dsmos
  • IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
  • NullCPUPowerManagement
  • OpenHaltRestart
  • PlatformUUID (with my drive's uuid)
  • SleepEnabler

Anyone know why I am getting a kernel panic on boot? Anyone want to help point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

I installed my retail copy from the DVD while booted into my Leopard install by running the OSIntaller.mpkg from Terminal.

Read my message a couple above yours. That method of installing is not reliable. Go back to the first post and read how to install from a USB memory stick. I just reinstalled for like the 20th time and I think I'm more stable than ever.

PS: we need to add a link to KextUtility.v2.3.2.dmg on the first post. It redoes the Extensions.mkext in S/L/E AND in E/E as well as removing the caches and I think it also fixes permissions. Great way to fix things fast.

Anyway to install without repartitioning? I dont have a spare drive, but do have spare partition.

I don't know. I haven't tried. You will have to do some research. Sorry.

ADD: confirmed! You must use the Memory stick method of installing or the full retail disk. Disk Utility works like a dream!!!

Thanks for confirming bigpoppa206. Yes this USB install method is definitely the way to go.

Hey blackosx, once again, thanks so much for the neat guide. I am trying everything over and over again, and have tried multiple kexts. I get this KP immediate boot.

http://img75.imageshack.us/i/photov.jpg/

@skball123

This kernel panic at immediate boot is generally seen when Netkas' PC EFI v10.1 boot file is not present.

I checked my current installation (10.5.7, 64bit-enabled in userspace) for anything special.....

Everything runs super stable, no kernel panics at all, all hardware functional. I'll get 10A380 again and check again what I did to get it running, although I can remember that is was not much more than a clean install, add few kext files and chameleon...bam, it worked.

Hi fragreaver, the 10.5.7 setup you have running sounds great. Have you tried building a DSDT.aml and using it on that to verify it's working as you want it? I never saw kernel panics in 10.5.X, but 10.6 is a completely different beast.

I hope I didn't truncate any important messages on the sides.

Simonia, this kernel panic you are having is the same as skball123. Check you have Netkas' PC EFI v10.1 boot file in the right place.

I too am getting the same kernel panic shown above.
I know you said you are using the PC EFI v10.1 boot file, but if you're getting the same KP then it is to do with that. Check it's in the right place, or if it is, re-install it.

Read my message a couple above yours. That method of installing is not reliable. Go back to the first post and read how to install from a USB memory stick. I just reinstalled for like the 20th time and I think I'm more stable than ever.

PS: we need to add a link to KextUtility.v2.3.2.dmg on the first post. Great way to fix things quickly!!!

Hi bigpoppa206 - Thanks for helping out here. ;)

Good thinking about the link to KextUtility - I will add it to the front page.

I've been following blackosx's guides for 2 different systems (my own's a Asus P5B-E Plus, used different kexts, but your guide made it installation very clear on Leopard, and a friend's, a GA-EP45-DS3R). The DS3R is almost identical to the DS3L, except with 1 more gigabit lan port and a different audio chip (ALC 889a).

I've managed to get Leopard up and running fine on the DS3R with your guide, and created a DSDT.aml following your DSDT guide. (I didn't put any other things than the CMOS reset fix in the DSDT though, graphics/ethernet are running from EFI strings, didn't work when I tried patching it into DSDT).

I have the retail Snow Leopard DVD (preordered for my MBP), and I've been trying the usb install method from your guide. I encounter a KP during the installation of SL, when time remaining is about 19 minutes. Booting up the installer with -v (& cpus=1) showed:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x2a6c2): Kernel trap at 0x0027a435, type 14=page fault, registers:
CR0: 0x8001003b, CR2: 0x003fad70, CR3: 0x00100000, CR4: 0x000006e0
EAX: ...
CR2: ...
EFL: ... (above 3 lines truncated for brevity)
Error code: 0x00000003

Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
about 10-20 lines of hex codes after that...

BSD process name coressponding to current thread: Mac OS X Install

Mac OS version:
10A432

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31 22:47:34 PDT 2009; root:xnu=1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_I386
System model name: iMac8,1

System uptine in nanoseconds: 104370314168

I made the usb install stick as per the guide, are there any suggestions on getting through with the rest of installation?

I have tried unselecting printer drivers/qt7 during the customization screen of SL, but that had no effect on the installation (still KPs at 19 minutes remaining)

Thanks for your help!

Regarding the Disk Utility problem.

I have just used my USB Drive I created before to reinstall 10.6 over my previous SnowLeopard install (the one I did with OSInstall.mkpg) and it has left my system intact but with a new system beneath. and now Disk Utility works as it should.

EDIT: It completed with one error about the RemoteMaganement ARDAgent.app has been modified and will not be repaired. This makes sense as I had done the Apple update for the Remote Desktop thingy before.

I have the retail Snow Leopard DVD (preordered for my MBP), and I've been trying the usb install method from your guide. I encounter a KP during the installation of SL, when time remaining is about 19 seconds.

Accoleon, Sorry I don't know what this could be but for a stab in the dark here.... The System model name: iMac8,1.. maybe try changing that in your SMBIOS?

Simonia, this kernel panic you are having is the same as skball123. Check you have Netkas' PC EFI v10.1 boot file in the right place.

Thanks blackosx. I installed Chameleon to an empty drive (USB and HDD). I then typed:

cd /Location/of/boot/file

cp -f boot /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/

Then restored the Snow Leopard image as per your instructions. I even made sure to uncheck 'Ignore ownership on this volume'. My BIOS settings matches yours as well. I'm really stumped as to what went wrong...

Thanks blackosx. I installed Chameleon to an empty drive (USB and HDD). I then typed:

cd /Location/of/boot/file

cp -f boot /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/

Then restored the Snow Leopard image as per your instructions. I even made sure to uncheck 'Ignore ownership on this volume'. My BIOS settings matches yours as well. I'm really stumped as to what went wrong...

as long a boot is at the root of your install USB it should work. As the picture I have at the bottom of page 4 of mu v2.0 install guide. (or the completed image on page 5)

So, after deleting some unnecessary kext files (as described in the thread), clearing caches, creating new mkext...still nothing :(

According to the log, it has something to do with the Keyboardsetupassistant:

Aug 28 07:25:36 localhost bootlog[36]: BOOT_TIME: 1251469527 0
Aug 28 07:25:27 localhost com.apple.launchd[1]: *** launchd[1] has started up. ***
Aug 28 07:25:27 localhost com.apple.launchd[1]: *** Verbose boot, will log to /dev/console. ***
Aug 28 07:25:31 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.aslmanager): Bug: launchd_core_logic.c:4562 (23932):2
Aug 28 07:25:31 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.aslmanager): Path monitoring failed on "/var/log/asl/SweepStore": No such file or directory
Aug 28 07:25:38 localhost fseventsd[28]: event logs in /.fseventsd out of sync with volume.  destroying old logs. (327 11 401)
Aug 28 07:25:38 localhost fseventsd[28]: log dir: /.fseventsd getting new uuid: 9FE4CB95-BB69-4F6A-9674-3B9FC4A447AF
Aug 28 07:25:38 localhost DirectoryService[32]: Improper shutdown detected
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.smb.sharepoints[19]): Exited with exit code: 71
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost mDNSResponder[23]: mDNSResponder mDNSResponder-212.1 (Jul 24 2009 22:34:12) starting
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost pcscd[48]: Non-smartcard device launched pcscd [Vendor: 0X54C, Product: 0X155]
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost com.apple.usbmuxd[15]: usbmuxd-167.1 built for iTunesEightTwo on Jul  9 2009 at 14:02:00, running 32 bit
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost auditd[51]: Auditing enabled
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost auditd[51]: Got low space trigger
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost auditd[51]: auditd_read_dirs(): all audit log directories over soft limit
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost auditd[51]: renamed /var/audit/20090828142529.not_terminated to /var/audit/20090828142529.20090828142540
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost auditd[51]: New audit file is /var/audit/20090828142540.not_terminated
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost _mdnsresponder[60]: audit warning: allsoft
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost _mdnsresponder[59]: audit warning: soft /var/audit
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost _mdnsresponder[61]: audit warning: closefile /var/audit/20090828142529.20090828142540
Aug 28 07:25:40 localhost configd[34]: network configuration changed.
Aug 28 07:25:41 localhost com.apple.kextd[10]: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/JMicronATA.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.
Aug 28 07:25:41 localhost com.apple.kextd[10]: Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/JMicronATA.kext - (libkern/kext) requested architecture/executable not found.
Aug 28 07:25:41 localhost com.apple.kextd[10]: Load com.jmicron.JMicronATA failed; removing personalities.
Aug 28 07:25:42 localhost /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[24]: Login Window Application Started
Aug 28 07:25:43 localhost mds[22]: (Normal) DiskStore: Reindexing /.Spotlight-V100/Store-V1/Stores/28269874-9970-4841-86D1-E9A368ECB856 because Snow Leopard must index the Snow Leopard partition.
Aug 28 07:25:43 localhost mds[22]: (Normal) DiskStore: Rebuilding index for /
Aug 28 07:25:43 localhost mds[22]: (Normal) DiskStore: Creating index for /
Aug 28 07:25:45 localhost configd[34]: network configuration changed.
Aug 28 07:26:11: --- last message repeated 2 times ---
Aug 28 07:26:11 localhost WindowServer[64]: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
Aug 28 07:26:11 localhost com.apple.WindowServer[64]: Fri Aug 28 07:26:11 localhost WindowServer[64] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
Aug 28 07:26:13 localhost loginwindow[24]: USER_PROCESS: 24 console
Aug 28 07:26:17 localhost auditd[51]: Got low space trigger
Aug 28 07:26:17 localhost auditd[51]: auditd_read_dirs(): all audit log directories over soft limit
Aug 28 07:26:17 localhost auditd[51]: renamed /var/audit/20090828142540.not_terminated to /var/audit/20090828142540.20090828142617
Aug 28 07:26:17 localhost auditd[51]: New audit file is /var/audit/20090828142617.not_terminated
Aug 28 07:26:17 localhost _mdnsresponder[85]: audit warning: allsoft
Aug 28 07:26:17 localhost _mdnsresponder[86]: audit warning: soft /var/audit
Aug 28 07:26:17 localhost _mdnsresponder[87]: audit warning: closefile /var/audit/20090828142540.20090828142617

------snip------
Aug 28 07:26:26 localhost Setup Assistant[74]: Error loading /System/Library/CoreServices/KeyboardSetupAssistant.app/Contents/Resources/common.bundle/Contents/MacOS/common:  dlopen(/System/Library/CoreServices/KeyboardSetupAssistant.app/Contents/Resources/common.bundle/Contents/MacOS/common, 265): no suitable image found.  Did find:\n	/System/Library/CoreServices/KeyboardSetupAssistant.app/Contents/Resources/common.bundle/Contents/MacOS/common: mach-o, but wrong architecture
------snip------

Aug 28 07:27:17 localhost com.apple.kextcache[93]: /System/Library/Extensions/JMicronATA.kext doesn't support architecture x86_64; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Aug 28 07:27:24 localhost com.apple.kextcache[93]: Created prelinked kernel /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache_x86_64.A701C40B.

This should actually load with x64, or not? Hangs at the same with -x32 :/

Hi, fragreave,

i must say its a display issue,

i got completely same error with you, you should drive your display card or delete(move) those display kexts.

my comp: p5q-e, q9550, gtx260+,

because i dont know how to drive my card this time, i deleted NVDA50 & NVDAResman and got in desktop.

now new problem is my SL 100% crashes within 1min from getting in desktop. i'll keep tring.

FYI.

Well, as I was tired of kernelpanics in first method, even after having applied both fix methods.

So I decided to perform USB installation, but I always got following message just after having chosen installation preferences and location of installation and when system is about to beginning installation.

dscf5268.th.jpg

Now I have some doubts:

- In USB pen UUID should only be changed in SMBIOS.plist or in PlatformUUID.kext too?

- Could my problem has to be with bad re-compiled dsdt.aml ? I mean, I have downloaded blackosx's cmos reset fix's dsdt.aml and it is shown as linux executable file, instead of mine, which is shown as document file

At this moment I am a little lost, but I will not give up :wacko:

i jsut installed a succesfull fresh install from usb disk, did u boot in -x32 into the installer, cus that seems to be important.

simply dont use smbios on the usbdisk, and not the platform uuid either, its not "needed" only makes things look nicer in the end.

Ah..thanks :unsure: Gotta try to delete those Radeon kexts...about time that my ordered geforce 9400GT arrives... :D

edit::

YEAH! IT FRIGGIN' WORKS!

Gotta rebuild the kextcache, tough. Tnx, Masa! :D

Congratulations!

But my GTX260 still invalid even i tried ATY_init or a string...

Audio, Network... dont work too.

maybe i should be waiting for a P5Q-E 's guide.