[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

^^ I am familiar with the importance of AHCI, however the Atom board in question works without it. 10.5 Always worked without it, and so does 10.6 (when booted with the USB installer flash drive). Furthermore, this isn't a simple kernel panic, it is the motherboard/BIOS that doesn't recognize the drive as boot-able. So I have to believe the issue lies elsewhere. I just tried re-partitioning back to 1 partition, and the issue remains. I will now try different versions of Chameleon, again, all I can think of atm...

If I disabled ahci, I would not get far enough to have a kernel panic, I would get a boot error - can't find the boot disk.

I would guess that booting into OS10.6 with the usb disk and trying to boot without it, are 2 separate scenarios.

So as I said, got it to boot with RC3. So then I proceeded to install RC5 and it worked (boots into Cham). Almost as if I had to start with RC2 and update as I know I did over the course of time with that particular USB Flash Drive installer (which always worked).

However, now it doesn't boot into the OS =P. Well, it gets hung up on fakesmc currently, going to revisit /Extra now, check everything is good there.

Edit: Yep, it was my /Extra folder this time =P. All sorted now. Weird though that I had to "upgrade" along from RC2->3->5.

Yeah, probably was confusing. 10.6 is all working now. However, the performance difference between the PCI 8400GS over the GMA950 doesn't seem significant at all =/ will test further.

I would like to enable HT on the atom board. Hope Chameleon implements what ever meklort does to his modified version to allow HT in atom boards.

Hello guys, first of all i want to thank You for this great guide and bootloader, after weeks of fighting with iatkos, i found this and get working osx in 30minutes:) with almost all drivers.

But now i have strange problem, system Was always working in 64bit mode, but now i need to run it in 32bit mode, and i cant. I changed boot.plist (both just for sure) to i386, delete all keys about 64bit. And its always boot up in 64bit kernel and kexts mode. Any idea how to force him to 32bit?

thonthar, doesn't OS10.6 just adapt to work in either 32bit or 64bit mode, when needed?

Just an update on the NVidia blank screen issue.

I just did a test and having 2 Dvi monitors connected at any time presents no problems at all.

In fact after 10.6.2 there has been a very positive and necessary update/overhaul to the OS handling and recognition of a 2nd dvi connected monitor

The issue has to do with cold or hot plugging hdmi into a dvi/hdmi adapter on graphics card. At least this nVidia blank screen thread is active here.

I think I have the 2nd monitor hdmi/dvi working in 10.6.4, well mostly :P

There are many suggestions in that nVidia blank screen thread and most of them are to be avoided.

Especially any that call for you to deviate from Vanilla install.

This page was the most usefull for me, post nr.123 and 131.

I downloaded the rom file for 8800gt card from here.

Then I renamed it 10de_0611.rom after my graphic card id nr, same id that is in About This Mac and placed it snugly in Extras.

Next comes a small addition to the boot.plist in Extras.

<key>UseNvidiaROM</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>VBIOS</key>

<string>yes</string>

And thats it. While you may have to experiment some, if like me, you will surely have to experiment some, then do so with the only the computer monitor plugged and you know when you have been successful when About My Mac recognises the rom file. I had tried another rom file called NVIDIA.rom which did not work for me.

This is what I see when the rom file has not been 'loaded' in

ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - internal

This is what I see when the rom file has been 'loaded' in

ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - /Extra/10de_0611.rom

After you restart, possible now with cold or hot plugged hdmi, you will have to open

System pref/display/ detect displays

Then your tv will be recognised, Then turn off mirroring on the TV display.

You can put the computer to sleep.

But the only glitch for me is the screen remains dark after waking up from sleep, unless `i disconnect the hdmi cable before waking up. But all the same, it will boot up with the hdmi cable connected. Strange one that.

Here are the details from my About This Mac.

GeForce 8800 GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8800 GT

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0611

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - /Extra/10de_0611.rom

Displays:

L226W :

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Panasonic-TV:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Television: Yes

Hope that helps some.

Hi geithals

Wow.. I see your video quest has sent you an a journey... But well done with your research and thanks for posting the update

for the problem here. :unsure:

The link you posted for the 8800GT ROM shows two available options, EFI32 and EFI64. Which one did you select? and also, your system profiler readout reads 1024MB though both ROMS on the link state 512MB. I take it this hasn't caused you any issue?

I have played with loading an alternative VBIOS with Chameleon in the past, but never had a real need to change anything on my setup so it never went past playing. But it's good to know it works and thanks for sharing

Though some of us with external sound cards can still claim to be 'Pure Vanilla'..

Lol.. good point.. Maybe I could look at that option? I remember reading some previous posts in the past about different USB solutions etc. but back then I had no issue with enabling audio through DSDT and LegacyHDA in /Extra/Extensions. But since Apple have dropped support for ALC888 maybe it's time for me to reconsider?. I only use stereo sound out to my cheap speakers.. Which option do you recommend and which option did you go with ?

But now i have strange problem, system Was always working in 64bit mode, but now i need to run it in 32bit mode, and i cant. I changed boot.plist (both just for sure) to i386, delete all keys about 64bit. And its always boot up in 64bit kernel and kexts mode. Any idea how to force him to 32bit?

Use the following boot option in the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386</string>

Then after reboot you will see the 64-bit kernel and extensions reads 'No' in the software selection on System Profiler as in the attached screenshot.

post-331032-1283495574_thumb.png

The link you posted for the 8800GT ROM shows two available options, EFI32 and EFI64. Which one did you select?

Hi Blackosx,

I saw 2 choices, rev1 and rev2. I only used rev 1, this exact download link

and also, your system profiler readout reads 1024MB though both ROMS on the link state 512MB. I take it this hasn't caused you any issue?

It was "upgraded" from 512mb to 1024gb by syst profile before this, from the time I installed OS10.6.0.

No issues with that, not that I notice.

I have played with loading an alternative VBIOS with Chameleon in the past, but never had a real need to change anything on my setup so it never went past playing. But it's good to know it works and thanks for sharing

It is a big enough issue but may well be resolved in the next OS update, so keep holding your horses on making changes.

The elegance of this Vanilla install, is that changes I made for me, are easy to control and reverse.

Lol.. good point.. Maybe I could look at that option? I remember reading some previous posts in the past about different USB solutions etc. but back then I had no issue with enabling audio through DSDT and LegacyHDA in /Extra/Extensions. But since Apple have dropped support for ALC888 maybe it's time for me to reconsider?. I only use stereo sound out to my cheap speakers.. Which option do you recommend and which option did you go with ?

Cheap speakers? we can tolerate the odd cheap beer, sometimes even a cheap woman but cheap speakers??

For some of my needs - recording lectures with clarity on a MBP - meant that a Focusrite saffire, firewire powered external box was emminently suitable. One of the most sensible devices I have ever bought. At home it is the pre amp hub for clear digital and clear analogue sound out of the computer.

For basic USB powered, clear, uncluttered analogue sound, probably I would go German, this one by Behringer sells for USD33. When it comes to sound, re speakers/amps/headphones/construction quality etc, Germans do it good and Behringer are in the 'sound' zone.

My GUID Paritition converted into a Fdisk parition.

I had a perfect working retail install of Snow Leopard and Win7. I have reinstalled Win 7 multiple times and had to do it one more time. I did it and used by USB stick to boot into OSX to restore chameleon as boot loader. In the past it has never been a problem. Now however the chameleon instructions were not working. I noticed that my MAC DISK is no longer GUID Parition. It is now Fdisk? How did it loose it's GUID TABLE?

Attached below is a screen shot from diskutility with my attempt at using fdisk440 and it failing. OSX disk is Disk 1.Please advise if there is any way to reverse this. THanks.

About the only thing I did different this time compared to last time was that I installed Acronisc true image back up home plus on win7 and made a copy of the my win7 parition. I am not sure if that messed things up or something else, but I am not sure how a GUID parition changed to a Fdisk. Makes no sense to me.

Any help will be appreciated. tHanks.

post-150535-1283619061_thumb.png

Hi Blackosx,

I saw 2 choices, rev1 and rev2. I only used rev 1, this exact download link

Hi geithals

Thanks for confirming your choice of VBIOS. As you said previously, it could help somebody with the same issue.

It is a big enough issue but may well be resolved in the next OS update, so keep holding your horses on making changes.

The elegance of this Vanilla install, is that changes I made for me, are easy to control and reverse.

Lol. I am going away for a week in a couple of days time so no worries with me making any changes here. And yes, the OS X install for our boards is so easy now that we only need a handful of files to go from PC to Mac :)

Cheap speakers? we can tolerate the odd cheap beer, sometimes even a cheap woman but cheap speakers??

For some of my needs - recording lectures with clarity on a MBP - meant that a Focusrite saffire, firewire powered external box was emminently suitable. One of the most sensible devices I have ever bought.

../snip/..

For basic USB powered, clear, uncluttered analogue sound, probably I would go German, this one by Behringer sells for USD33.

Lol.. Thanks for the advice. I have my main audio kit downstairs so am therefore happy with simple cheap sound on my hack - and the quality I get from the motherboards' on-board audio is perfect for me. So I can use it as food for thought over the next few weeks and see what I decide to do. :)

+1 for external sound cards. Moves from system to system and is plug and play =).

You can get usb sound cards under $5, that just work. In terms of quality, I'd say they're about equal to onboard sound. I use them for cheaper builds =P.

Thanks Enzo - that might be more in line with what I'm thinking.

:)

Success with GA-P35-DS3L and retail 10.6.3 USB install...Thanks a bunch!

Good news jabaman - well done and thanks for reporting back :)

I had a perfect working retail install of Snow Leopard and Win7. I have reinstalled Win 7 multiple times and had to do it one more time. I did it and used by USB stick to boot into OSX to restore chameleon as boot loader. In the past it has never been a problem. Now however the chameleon instructions were not working. I noticed that my MAC DISK is no longer GUID Parition. It is now Fdisk? How did it loose it's GUID TABLE?

Attached below is a screen shot from diskutility with my attempt at using fdisk440 and it failing. OSX disk is Disk 1.Please advise if there is any way to reverse this. THanks.

About the only thing I did different this time compared to last time was that I installed Acronisc true image back up home plus on win7 and made a copy of the my win7 parition. I am not sure if that messed things up or something else, but I am not sure how a GUID parition changed to a Fdisk. Makes no sense to me.

Hi rimmi2002

I've never come across that issue and I guess it must be something that occured when using Acronis. As for reversing the process, well if it can be done that's for somebody more knowledgable than me to answer. Sorry.

But I think you can still run your system from an MBR formatted drive, and you should still be able to install Chameleon to it. I just haven't done it so I can't talk from experience.

Looking at your screenshot, try CD'ing to the 'Chameleon' directory in the support files and not to fdisk440, as fdisk440 is not a directory.

If anybody wants to keep abreast of the latest Chameleon RC5 developments and use the most recent builds on their system then iFabio has opened a new thread for an unnofficial RC5 package installer.

It uses the latest files from the voodooprojects' repo and it has the option of selecting to install either boot0 or boot0hfs to the first 440 bytes of the MBR. The same as shown installing Chameleon manually using fdisk440 in the PDF guide in this thread, I have tested it and it works great. If you try it then remember to select only one of the bootloader options, not both.

If you're happy with how your system is running then don't feel pressured in to doing this and if you're not sure about using it incase of messing something on your system then don't worry, you could always run it against a USB stick and boot from that for trials. However, if you're more confident and you have the BootCD or a bootable USB which you know works already then feel free to backup your existing Cham partition to somewhere safe, leaving your existing files there, and run the installer to it.

The installer won't delete any existing files in your Cham partition, but it could overwrite your com.apple.Boot.plist, if you've selected that option and also the default theme in your /Extra/Themes/ folder, if you've selected that option. So before re-booting, check your Cham partition to make sure the Extra folder still has your Extensions folder with extensions in, and also check your DSDT.aml, SMBIOS.plist, themes and com.apple.Boot.plist to make sure you're happy with it.

I'm too weary to try something blind. That package installer is a neat idea. Would something like that work with this guide?

You're very wise to be weary and I agree there's no point to mess up an already working install. But it will work :blink: I just recommend trialling it on a USB Stick first. Run the installer to it, then add any missing files you already have in /cham/Extra to /Extra on the USB stick and try booting from it. If it works then you know the contents of that USB stick can happily live on your cham partition.

Would something like that work with this guide?

Absolutely. Part 3 PDF, after the 'Overview' section, the 'Installing Chameleon' section could read:

Double-click the Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r494 package installer and point it to the Cham partition.

However, I still think it's important to understand what each file is and how to manually install them so I would keep the existing content as it is and add a paragraph about the automated package installer. I will do this when I revise the guide to tie in with the Chameleon RC5 release (when ever that might be).

I finally upgraded to snow leopard and thanks to yet another fantastic guide by blackosx it went smoothly :P

One minor hiccup. I used the USB stick install and couldn't restore a disk image of the SL dvd to the usb as described. Disk utility simply wouldn't let me choose the img as source. Looking at other install threads I found you can just skip the disk image creation and restore the dvd straight to the usb stick.

My one tiny niggle is that my second hard drive (non-boot) partitions have 'eject' icons beside them...so tempting. Still maybe that's just a feature.

About to add speedstep info for my q6600 to the dsdt.aml :)

Ooh. Looks like that might be possible with chameleon rc5 without altering the dsdt.aml:

Cham 2 RC5 vanilla speedstep

I finally upgraded to snow leopard and thanks to yet another fantastic guide by blackosx it went smoothly :(

One minor hiccup. I used the USB stick install and couldn't restore a disk image of the SL dvd to the usb as described. Disk utility simply wouldn't let me choose the img as source. Looking at other install threads I found you can just skip the disk image creation and restore the dvd straight to the usb stick.

My one tiny niggle is that my second hard drive (non-boot) partitions have 'eject' icons beside them...so tempting. Still maybe that's just a feature.

Ooh. Looks like that might be possible with chameleon rc5 without altering the dsdt.aml:

Cham 2 RC5 vanilla speedstep

So by updating the latest chameleon in the unofficial installer mentioned by blackosx a couple of posts ago, and choosing to let it add the keys to boot plist to enable speedstep I know have working speedstep for my q6600 without fiddling with the dsdt.aml :)

Hey Zengiga - Good to hear from you :D

Well done with your upgrade to Snow Leopard and I see you've already played with the latest features of the pre-release RC5. It makes things so much simpler now with regards to speedstep.

And just a quick note to everyone here, that I am going away tonight for a break so I won't be about answering any posts for 8 days. Happy hacking :P

So by updating the latest chameleon in the unofficial installer mentioned by blackosx a couple of posts ago, and choosing to let it add the keys to boot plist to enable speedstep I know have working speedstep for my q6600 without fiddling with the dsdt.aml ;)

Now that you mention it.

I was having a lag, a pregnant pause when doing certain things in 10.6.0 using the supplied boot.plist and generally things took longer, even simple things like change the name of an id tag in iTunes.

But now on 10.6.4 I changed the boot plist according to Blackosx suggestion to add

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

and the Cham 2 rc5

It is as if the computer has been injected with a double expresso :)

I was thinking that one hard disk was getting old & grumpy and the other (with 10.6.4) not.

Any help will be appreciated. tHanks.

Alrite got my solution using these two posts. Thought I'd post it incase anyone else has the same problem. A real odd-ball problem. I'd say avoid acronis backup software of GPT disks.

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,1593.0.html

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231025

Hi all.

I would thanks Blackosx for this guide.

I could make my hackintosh only with this. I was trying for lot of days before, without results.

Yesterday i was able to make my Hack works, and today i tryed your 10.6.4 update and all it's ok.

The only problem is that my sound card is no more recognized by the system.

I have an ep45c-ds3r (889a). I tryed all the LegacyHDA found around, but noway.

This is the only thing gone wrong, but i wish to solve it asap.

I have now in /E/E the last Legacyhda that was working for me, and I'm rebuilding again the Extension's cache.

I would understand...

In dsdt i got:

<key>Kernel Flags</key> <string>arch=i386</string>

Can i use this code if i'm in 32bit too??

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -a i386 -a <font color="#ff0000">x86_64</font> -m   /System/Library/Caches com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext   /System/Library/Extensions

'cause if i try i got this message:

JMicronATA.kext does not declare a kernel dependency; using com.apple.kernel.6.0.
BJUSBLoad.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
Warnings: 
	Personality CFBundleIdentifier differs from containing kext's (not necessarily a mistake, but rarely done): 
		IJ170b
	...very long snip...
		IJ1079
Dependency Resolution Failures: 
	64-bit kexts must use com.apple.kpi.* libraries, not com.apple.kernel* libraries.
Created mkext archive /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext.

SOLVED - EDIT:

All is working. Looks like i solved audio troubles.

For someone who could need this info:

I deleted HDAenabler.kext from /S/E/E

I downloaded AppleHDA from this post (Link) and placed in /S/E/E

Using LegacyHDA in /E/E

Repaired owner&permissions on SL's disk

Rebooted

Once again, thanks to Blackosx for the best guide i ever saw around... and thanks to all guys contributing with this world.

Cheers,

Dan

Edited by komodo_1

Hi all !! Have a working 10.6.4 Hack working on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mainboard. Up until 10.6.3 my audio worked fine but now it's not ! I followed the instructions and replaced the various Kexts as suggested in the How-To.

The About This Mac shows the Audio as follows :

Line Output:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack

External Microphone / iPhone Headset:

External Microphone / iPhone Headset:

Headphone:

S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Output:

Connection: Combination Output

S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Input:

Connection: Combination Input

But there are no Output Devices listed in the Audio panel in System Preferences. What have I done wrong ?

Another problem is that Parallels Desktop proclaims I'm not using a system that supports Virtualisation and won't install. VMWare Fusion says I'm not using an Intel system ?! HPET is enabled in the BIOS ! The system reports itself as MacPro3,1.

Any suggestions where to start ? I've checked the com.apple.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist files and used Lizard to edit them to suit my system. What else do I need to do ? I've even forced HPET to ON. I'm running the 64 Bit Kernel by the way.

System Specs are as follows:

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8300 at 2.5 GHz (Running at 2.75GHz)

4 x 1GB 800 MHz DDR2 RAM

Gigabyte Mainboard GA-P35-DS3L

Broadcom Generic Wireless card (Working fine)

nVidia Geforce GT240 1GB Video Card PCIe

SATA DVD-RW and HDD

Genuine Apple Keyboard & Mouse

I probably haven't provided enough detail but if here's anything I can provide to make this clearer let me know.

Thanks in advance

Ken