[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Thanks Blackosx.

As mentioned, I am only using one extension - fakesmc - when trying to update to 10.6.2.

I will do a boot.plist later in the evening as per instructions and return here with the news.

The wall of resistance has to break sometime.

I have the identical setup as you, no auto sleep, do I need the speed step setup for auto sleep? vanilla power management/

No, you shouldn't need to have vanilla power management for auto sleep to function.

I will do a boot.plist later in the evening as per instructions and return here with the news.

The wall of resistance has to break sometime.

Yeah.. it has to break sometime.. I hope you can find a solution.

Hi BlackOSx,

i have now as you know a new motherboard and a new videocard ( ATI 4850 )

I have read about the problem with ATI card.

Could you pls tell me if the new Chameleon RC5 beta has the same function introduced from PC EFI 10.6 and ASERE one, i am talking about also the injection of videorom in plist.

Have you any link ( other than insanelymac or netkas ) to any documentation about OSX and ATI card ?

Thank you very much

Giuseppe

Ps. using the USB installation the screen is freezed. What can i do ? change the bootloader ?

Tks

@geithals

Especially now with the new RC5 versions since Mozodojo added automatic p-state / c-state generation for vanilla power management. If you want, upgrade to r193 or later of Chameleon RC5 (I posted r342 above) and do the following:

• Make sure NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext have been removed from /E/E

• Have the DSDT.aml from the Support Files in your /Extra folder.

• Add the following to your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

And reboot.. :(

Hi Blackosx,

I went back and reinstalled OS10.6.0 to the back up disk.

Used support files 1.41, Boot plist untouched and only fakes smc kext in Ext.

Boot went okay and upgraded retail to 10.6.4.

First restarted with same untouched Cham folder and no dice, dark screen when I should be watching the desktop.

Erased Cham and installed from Chameleon Build r342

Still using only DSTami & SMbios in E and Fakesmc kext in E/E.

And added your suggestion (mentioned above) to boot.plist

I pasted it in Text Edit, saved it, opened it up in Plist pro to make sure it made sense

and saved it again.

Even though I pasted the strings/keys in at the end, they comes out first.

Looks like this

dict>

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<string>Yes</string>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1024x768x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Default</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386</string>

</dict>

Disconnected all other devices and booted up.

I dont get past verifying DMI Pool Data

Boot 0 GPT

test

test

test

0 error.

As before, I am not at all desperate, I am just reporting because my set up is pretty basic and I like to try.

If you have any ideas on the boot plist? or the boot error, don´t be shy. I´ll anyway keep my eyes open around the board.

Next Mon/Tue I will try to get into OS10.6.4 on another Hackintosh set up but with a Zotac 9600gt card. I will be well beffudled if that (cheapskate) card beats my 8800gt in the race to OSX 10.6.4 :D

Sorry for my absence but I have been very busy on other projects, though I have already said that my support of general questions here will be less as most questions have already been covered.

Having said that, I had to report that latest developments with the Chameleon RC5 pre-release bootloader. While there has been continued bug fixing, updates and new features there is one big feature that Mozodojo created - Vanilla Power Management (a.k.a. speedstep).

To use this you will need the following:

• The latest Chameleon RC5 pre-release r193.

• The DSDT.aml from the support files in this thread (if you have a DSDT already patched with _PSS / _CST data then that will cause a KP)

• AppleLPC must be loaded - This is enabled by default on the EP45-DS3L.

post-331032-1279782892_thumb.png

If you're NOT running the EP45-DS3L then you will need to check it is and if it's not then you will have to patch Device (LPCB) in DSDT - See FormlerlyknownAs's Opening Post on the Vanilla Speedstep thread for further details.

• Not be using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext or SleepEnabler.kext

• Add the following to your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

<string>Yes</string>

<string>Yes</string>

Note: You may also need to add (depending on your CPU)

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

It's wise to have a separate Chameleon install on a secondary HDD, bootable USB stick or BootCD handy that you know works for you system just in case you get a memory allocation error when booting from this. If you do get that error then you will want to add the DropSSDT boot option to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

I have updated the Support Files to v1.4.1 to contain the latest version of the Chameleon bootloader for this and posted it on the front page.

Hey :-).

I followed this, and it seems to work. But Audio is almost broken, crackling sound.

I used DSDT Editor 0.3 to insert the states etc.

MB: GA P35-DS4

Processor: Q6600

AppleLPC.kext is loaded

Is there any solution to the Audio-Problem?

i have now as you know a new motherboard and a new videocard ( ATI 4850 )

I have read about the problem with ATI card.

Could you pls tell me if the new Chameleon RC5 beta has the same function introduced from PC EFI 10.6 and ASERE one, i am talking about also the injection of videorom in plist.

Have you any link ( other than insanelymac or netkas ) to any documentation about OSX and ATI card ?

Hi giuseppe001

As far as I'm aware, the pre-release Chameleon RC5's have been built around the modifications that Asere made and include the same functionality as PC-EFI. But without owning an ATI video card, I haven't used or tested a running system with one.

I don't have any other links, but I know there are various threads about getting them to work. And I have read recently that Jas and Trauma have both been working on various solutions here on the InsanelyMac forums. You are going to have to use the search function ;)

Ps. using the USB installation the screen is freezed. What can i do ? change the bootloader ?

If your using a bootable USB made from files in this guide, then you might well have to add extra files etc.. for your ATI card.

-------------------

I went back and reinstalled OS10.6.0 to the back up disk.

Used support files 1.41, Boot plist untouched and only fakes smc kext in Ext.

Boot went okay and upgraded retail to 10.6.4.

First restarted with same untouched Cham folder and no dice, dark screen when I should be watching the desktop.

Hi geithals

I don't understand why it's not working for you as I don't do anything differently from you. Can you boot in to your 10.6.4 install with the BootCD?

If you boot in verbose mode, do you see any errors?

Erased Cham and installed from Chameleon Build r342

Still using only DSTami & SMbios in E and Fakesmc kext in E/E.

Should work fine.. hmmmm

And added your suggestion (mentioned above) to boot.plist

I pasted it in Text Edit, saved it, opened it up in Plist pro to make sure it made sense

and saved it again.

Even though I pasted the strings/keys in at the end, they comes out first.

Looks like this

dict>

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

.../snip/..

You have a missing '<' at the start.. is that just a copy and paste error here?

Disconnected all other devices and booted up.

I dont get past verifying DMI Pool Data

Boot 0 GPT

test

test

test

0 error.

Did you re-install all of Chameleon's files?.. the boot0 (or boot0hfs if dual booting), boot1h and boot?

As before, I am not at all desperate, I am just reporting because my set up is pretty basic and I like to try.

If you have any ideas on the boot plist? or the boot error, don´t be shy. I´ll anyway keep my eyes open around the board.

I wish I had more suggestions for you, but other than trying to boot from the bootCD, I don't. You seem to have everything set as I have.

Next Mon/Tue I will try to get into OS10.6.4 on another Hackintosh set up but with a Zotac 9600gt card. I will be well beffudled if that (cheapskate) card beats my 8800gt in the race to OSX 10.6.4 :D

Yeah.. i bet! :)

The 8800GT has been a great card for me, so i can't see it being the problem with your setup, but you could always try to swap in that 9600GT to your system to rule it out?

Best of luck

I followed this, and it seems to work. But Audio is almost broken, crackling sound.

I used DSDT Editor 0.3 to insert the states etc.

MB: GA P35-DS4

Processor: Q6600

AppleLPC.kext is loaded

Is there any solution to the Audio-Problem?

Hi Professor

I'm not sure about your mobo as it uses a different audio codec to the EP45-DS3L in this thread. Maybe it's to do with the IRQ's in your DSDT? I have found this post for you but I'm sure there's more in FormerlyKnownAs' thread if you have a read through it.

Thanks, Blackosx, you're hint is indeed right, I found a solution, it has actually to do with IRQ patch to be applied also. Now everything is working fine, I think, Audio too.

DSDT Editor 0.3 is really great, at least for my mobo and processor, because it calculates the states correctly, very easy to handle. It can be found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...3205&st=180

Now shutdown, restart etc. works without special kexts. the only thing still not working is sleep, I just can't get it to work, even though I suppose it has to with vanilla powermanagement?

Thanks for your kind help, blackosx.

Edit: I applied the ICH9 USB Sleep patch from DSDT Editor 0.3 as well, and now manual sleep works fine!!!! Only automatic sleep isn't working now.

Hey :-)

So I have an almost perferctly working DSDT.AML file now. Speedstep, Orange Icon Fix, USB removal error after sleep fix, Manual sleep works, and as I understood it, automatic sleep only works with the help of a software like "PleaseSleep".

The problem I'd like to solve now, to be able to use my USB-keyboard to wake the computer from sleep instead of pressing the powerbutton. I've been searching for a while now for a solution, but didn't find one so far.

Has someone a hint as how to achieve that? To use the keyboard to wake a computer from sleep? A good dsdt-fix?

Thanks a lot!

Hi Professor

As I posted to Lensboard the other day, automatic sleep works for me without any additional files/fixes. But maybe your post of "PleaseSleep" could by something for Lensboard to try?

As for wake from sleep from keyboard, that also works just great for me. I remember it didn't a while back then something changed to enable that.. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was either DSDT or bootloader. If I find the post I made about it when it happened, I'll post a link here.

----------------

@everyone, I have updated the Snow Leopard Graphics Update available in software update without issue. But as with all updates, it's wise to update a backup partition first to check it works before doing it on your main system.

EDIT: Beware ATI 4890/4870x2 users!! - See netkas' post

Thanks for your reply, Blackosx.

As it turned out through testing, I can indeed wake up from sleep by USB mouse. I did some reading, and I think, the problem is the Aluminium Apple Keyboard I have.

The USB mouse is on AppleUHCI, while the Aluminium Keyboard is on AppleEHCI. Of course I already manipulated the USB/EHCI entries in dsdt, to get fixed the usb removal error on sleep, but I think, the Apple Aluminium keyboard needs special treatment.

Cheers,

Professor©

^^ pretty sure the apple alu kb does need some special treatment. IIRC it's due to the fact that it's a USB 2.0 device... Last I read about it (@ projectosx) was that it needed some dsdt tweaks, though that was a while ago.

Hello, blackosx =)

Seeing as it seems ok to run your dsdt in a few gigabyte motherboards, I was wondering if this was besides the fact that they may be running different versions of their respective BIOS? Also, did you have to add DROPSSDT=Yes? Curious, I may have to finally jump to vanilla speedstepping with the new Cham builds, but I've always loved overclocking! =P

Hi EnzoFX :P

^^ pretty sure the apple alu kb does need some special treatment. IIRC it's due to the fact that it's a USB 2.0 device... Last I read about it (@ projectosx) was that it needed some dsdt tweaks, though that was a while ago.

Thanks for the memory of the USB 2 device for the Apple Alu Keyboard..

@Professor, you said you'd already applied DSDT fixes for your EHCI device.. so I guess you've probably already covered this one? I have found a reply by ApexDE of success waking his system from sleep with the alu keyboard here as a pointer incase you haven't seen it, though I haven't back-tracked to find the actual fix by mm67. Hope it helps.

Seeing as it seems ok to run your dsdt in a few gigabyte motherboards, I was wondering if this was besides the fact that they may be running different versions of their respective BIOS?

I base my presumption of using this DSDT on other motherboards purely on the cross referencing of Cartri's grouping of identically matched DSDTs from original Gigabyte BIOS's. I know Cartri has exhausted many hours checking the differences between the DSDT's (I also helped do some comparisons), from different BIOS's and I trust his grouping. But you're right that there might well be some differences between BIOS versions, especially newer BIOS's if released. If you are ever in doubt then you can always extract the DSDT from different versions of an original Gigabyte DSDT for your mobo and see if they match. If so then you can be safe to know you can carry on using the same patched DSDT.

Also, did you have to add DROPSSDT=Yes? Curious, I may have to finally jump to vanilla speedstepping with the new Cham builds, but I've always loved overclocking! =P

Yes, I am using the DropSSDT=Yes boot option now with the newest versions of Chameleon. I think the stepping can still work when overclocking. Have a read of the main thread for it here at Insanely to try to find the exact answer.

Ok, here is what I did:

I managed to compile http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...92518&st=0# into my dsdt, and compared it thourougly. It compiled without error.

For testing purposes I also got your dsdt you posted once, to try out how you did it, BlackOsx.

The result was not nice: The system didn't fully went to sleep, if invoked manually and couldn't get wake again. Had to press the powerbutton to hard reset.

Also mouse behaviour was erratic.

So that didn't work either. I guess I just live with my Apple Keyboard not being able to wake up from sleep.

Just moved to an EP45-DS3L =P. Took the shortcut and used your DSDT blackosx heh,

Everything seems fine (Didn't even reinstall) but I noticed that my dock stacks don't render the preview (when displayed as a stack) at boot. It shows simply the folder icon, requiring an initial click to bring up the "stack" effect. This is something I noticed on my last board, in 10.5 just before moving to 10.6. I thought it was 10.6 that fixed it or perhaps it was the SATA IDE dsdt fix. I think I then gathered that it was because the stack folders were on a external drive...

I know the supplied dsdt for this board is setup to allow the drives to show up as external, does that mean everyone gets this? Or is it something else I should troubleshoot?

Edit: Perhaps it's gone unnoticed? I just tested by adding a folder that was within the System partition, and it generates the stack fine. Though the first two don't, and they are on another partition, same drive, but separate partition. See here:

Screenshot2010-08-19at24631AM.png Though I swear that they all showed up fine on one boot =P.

Snow Leopard Graphics Update

anyone tried this?

Yep, and posted about it a couple of days ago. I've had no problems using it with my 8800GT though owners of certain ATI cards needed to be cautious, but Netkas has since released an exotic patch update for it. TwistedSystems created a thread about the update.

Just moved to an EP45-DS3L =P. Took the shortcut and used your DSDT blackosx heh,

That's one way to do it.. Lol :)

Everything seems fine (Didn't even reinstall) but I noticed that my dock stacks don't render the preview (when displayed as a stack) at boot. It shows simply the folder icon, requiring an initial click to bring up the "stack" effect.

Edit: Perhaps it's gone unnoticed? I just tested by adding a folder that was within the System partition, and it generates the stack fine. Though the first two don't, and they are on another partition, same drive, but separate partition. See here:

I just tried it on my system and I too get the default folder icon with a folder stack from a different partition after reboot until it's clicked. Is this a problem? What happens on a real Mac?

I know the supplied dsdt for this board is setup to allow the drives to show up as external, does that mean everyone gets this? Or is it something else I should troubleshoot?

Welcome to the ICH10 southbridge. That's how the system sees the drives because of ICH10's hot-plug feature allowing you to eject a disk without powering down the system, ideal for E-SATA drives for example.

I am working on hot-plugging too, I think. Here is my situation I want to solve:

I have four internal SATA-disks. IOReg identifies them as on IDE1 (seems to be the SATA-section of my DSDT), System Profiler identifies them on Intel ESB2 AHCI, IOReg says they're using AppleAHCIDiskDriver.

PRIM, PRT1 (DVD-Burner), PRT2, PRT3, PRT4 and PRT5

Additionally I have three HD's in a 3-Port-Sata-Drive-Bay, One is connected as PRT like above, two are connected to the two GSATA-Ports I have, identified as device SECD under IDE1. The one drive identified in PRT above isn't hotpluggable, it has to be turned on before startup, that OSX recognizes it.

So what I was trying to do was: To change my DSDT, so that it would behave like in a MacPro, where any drive in any bay is hotpluggable, you can turn it off (or remove and reinsert it).

I changed the IDE1 section in my DSDT to the "Native SATA AHCI hack" found in DSDTSE of EvoSoftware. The result were: All drives were yellow, and recognized as "unknnown AHCI Controller"-device. Hotplugging wasn't working at all.

The next thing I did, was what I have seen in BlackOSX dsdt: Change the whole SATA-section to contain only:

device (SATA)

{"ADRESS"}

That wasn't working either.

Is what I am up to possible at all? Making all drives hotpluggable like in a real MacPro? Or does it depend on my Bridge which is ICH9 and not ICH10? Because the two extra GSATA-Ports are hotpluggable, maybe it's possible to change all IDE1-Ports to behave like those two GSATA-Ports?

Please help. I have issue with dual screen mirroring

On rig 10.6.4 (w/ last snow graphic update), p45-ds3l, 8500gt

nVidia GeForce 8500 GT:

Chipset Model:    nVidia GeForce 8500 GT
 Type:    GPU
 Bus:    PCIe
 Slot:    PCI
 PCIe Lane Width:    x16
 VRAM (Total):    512 MB
 Vendor:    NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:    0x0421
 Revision ID:    0x00a1
 ROM Revision:    nVidia GeForce 8500 GT OpenGL Engine
 Displays:
SyncMaster:
 Resolution:    1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
 Pixel Depth:    32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
 Main Display:    Yes
 Mirror:    Off
 Online:    Yes
 Rotation:    Supported
SAMSUNG:
 Resolution:    1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
 Pixel Depth:    32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
 Mirror:    Off
 Online:    Yes
 Rotation:    Supported

As you can see my main work screen (SyncMaster - which is 22" 226bw) is connected in DVI and my 37" wide-screen TV is connected through VGA cable.

When I put V in Mirror Display the content is shown only on the TV and on SyncMaster all I see is just a blue screen and the pointer that behaves exactly like on TV display.

any ideas?

Something interesting about the Snow Leopard Graphics Update released recently.

Before installing the update, I did an Xbench test.

Note that nothing extra but Xbench itself was running during all of these tests.

Quartz Graphics Test, OpenGL Test and User Interface Test.

Overall, I scored a 163.49.

After installing the update, I did the same test.

My overall was 225.69 and another test at 225.43.

The only game I play on my Machine is WoW. I haven't had a chance yet to see if my FPS go up at all after this test, but I would not be surprised if it does at least by a few frames.

I applied no patches for this update. It was a clean, direct install from Software Update.

So, I would highly recommend this update for anyone.

My Specs--

Gigabyte GA EP45-DS3l

Intel Core 2 Quad 6600

Gefore 9800GTX+ w/ 1GB DDR3

8GB OCZ DDR2 800

60GB OCZ APEX_SSD as System drive

Snow Leopard 10.6.4 w/ 64-bit kernel enabled

Cartri Bios v0.8 and custom Cartri Chameleon install package.

Hi blackosx, I was wondering if you are using the v0.8 of Cartri's BIOS? If so, do you still need to have the DSDT file and also what kexts are/aren't needed anymore? According to the manual that comes with the BIOS, it states that DSDT file is not needed.

Hi BlackOsx,

i havetried all kind of bootcd to install Snow Leopard.

As you know i have the GA-ep45ds3l and ATI hd4850, but nothing to do; KP every time.

With Nvidia gtx275 all ok.

How can i boot with bootcd or usb ?

are there other solution to install from RETAIL dvd ?

Tks

Giuseppe