[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Great - I want to look into this as well. What chameleon boot loader are you using ?

How was the "migration": Install boot - flash bios - boot & remove kexts ?

What is blackosx's opinion - do you use it ?

regards

hausi

I use the latest Chameleon RC4 or RC5.

Just flash the BIOS, but careful: follow cartri to the comma! [20 minutes reading, 10 min flashing]

Remove the unnecessary kexts ( all but fakesmc.kext ;-) )

I needed for my board the EP45-DS3LR the audio kexts from the OSxdatabase for ALC888,

thats it: 10.6.4 works like a charm! Need a kext installer so to avoid manual fixing of permissions.

Also same applied to EP43-DS3L ( needed nvidia kext to fix the screen for the GT8400 GPU) and the ALC888 sound kext.

Hi black, I've been following your guide, and well its not working out too well. I have a ga-ep45-ds3l with intel q6700, 4gb ram 800, and a nvidia 9800 video card. I have a sata hdd I'm installing too and the cd drive I have is an ide. I am able to get the boot cd to work, install snow leopard pops up, I start installing it, but then about 2 minutes in (according to the time remaining) 17 minutes remaining to be exact, it kernel panics, or so I believe, there isn't any text telling me what is wrong, just the "you need to restart your computer". I reset my bios, reformatted the hdd, but now I am stuck. Whenever I try using the USB method, it get to about 13 minutes remaining, then states that the necessary support files were not copied. I had snow leopard installed before, but switched to the ep45-ds3l mobo from another increasing my computer's capability. If you or anyone else has an idea about what is causing this, please let me know.

Thanks for your time!

Booted into verbose mode and here is what I received when the system crashed during install. (using retail disk)

panic(cpu 1 caller 0x555865): "getPhysicalSegment() out of 32b range 0x10003a000, len 0x1000, class IOGeneralMemoryDescriptor"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/iokit/Kernel/IOMemoryDescriptor.cpp:1589

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU1), Frame: Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x5536ba48 : 0x21acfa (0x5ce650 0x5536ba7c 0x223156 0x0)

0x5536ba98 : 0x555865 (0x5d7bec 0x3a000 0x1 0x1000)

0x5536bae8 : 0x55095f (0x7c6fb00 0xa5000 0x5536bb2c 0x0)

0x5536bb48 : 0x5bf8724a (0x6c2e880 0x7c6fb00 0xa5000 0x5536bb94)

0x5536bbb8 : 0x5c1a2def (0x6bf9400 0x0 0xb2ea5b56 0x5f)

0x5536bbd8 : 0x5c19fb70 (0x6bf9400 0x3a98 0xf4240 0x5c1a0406)

0x5536bbf8 : 0x5c19fa17 (0x6bf9400 0x3a98 0x5536bc48 0x54dcc0)

0x5536bc18 : 0x5c19f371 (0x6bf9400 0x6cbd700 0x0 0x0)

0x5536bc38: 0x5c19f333 (0x6bf9400 0x6cbd700 0x0 0x0)

0x5536bc68 : 0x5484f5 (0x6bf9400 0x6cbd700 0x5536bcec 0x0)

0x5536bcb8: 0x5c19f2f4 (0x6c2c4c0 0x5c19f300 0x6cbd700 0x5536bcec)

0x5536bcf8 : 0x5c19c5f3 (0x6bf9400 0x6c2a280 0x6cbd700 0x100000)

0x5536bd28 : 0x5c3aabf3 (0x6c2a280 0x6cbd700 0x5536bd60 0x0)

0x5536bd88 : 0x5c223448 (0x6cc1800 0x7b88e00 0x5536bdf8 0x5536bdf4)

0x5536be28 : 0x5c3aadc0 (0x6cc1800 0x7b88d00 0x2 0x0)

0x5536be68 : 0x5caaf3b (0x6cc1800 0x6cbd700 0x7b88d00 0x5c19d671)

0x5536be98 : 0x5c19f6d3 (0x6cbd700 0x0 0x0 0x5c19fc8c)

0x5536bec8 : 0x5c19fb3e (0x6bf9400 0x0 0x0 0x50c287a8)

0x5536bee8 : 0x5bf86b6a (0x6bf9400 0x4 0x0 0x29b50a)

0x5536bf08 : 0x548049 (0x6bf9400 0x6c2f880 0x1 0x29b50a)

Backtrace continues...

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.iokit.IOATAPIProtocolTransport(91.5.3)@0x5c3a9000->0x5c3acfff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily(92.0.1)@0x5c19b000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIArhcitectureModelFamily(2.5.0)@0x5c21d000

com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIArchitechtureModelFamily(2.5.0)@5c21d000->0x5c236fff

com.jmicron.JMicronATA(1.0.0)@0x5bf85000->0x5bf8bfff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily(92.0.1)@0x5c19b000

dependency: come.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6)@0x55113000

com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily(92.0.1)@0x5c19b000->0x5c1a7fff

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:

10A432

Kernel version

Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31 22:47:34 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_I386

System model name: MacPro 3,1

System uptime in nanoseconds: 396866802156

That is all that was on the screen. It seems to me that it was having an issue with the IOATA, IOSCSI, and the IOPCI family kexts. If anyone has any more info, hit me up. I will try the USB again later, although it doesn't kernel panic, just won't let me install it due to the necessary files not being copied.

Thanks for your help and time!!

Hi Jakkumn

Yep - Those errors are all about your IDE drive.

I aimed to mimic a Mac here and as Apple doesn't uses IDE drives, neither have I. The hardware requirements for this guide include using SATA drives and as a result I don't include the necessary Kexts you most likely need and the DSDT has had the IDE devices removed.

The quickest option to allow you to follow this guide for installing Snow Leopard on this motherboard is to get yourself a SATA DVD drive, otherwise, short of re-adding the required devices to the DSDT here, maybe try another solution for this motheboard which includes the missing pieces. Your options could be looking at flashing your motherboard with Cartri's modified Gigabyte BIOS as his DSDT has full support for IDE devices or maybe have a look at either KakeWalk or [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] / [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] as they might have a more general DSDT for this mobo?

Sorry bout that.

That's somewhat what I was expecting. I will have to go and get the dsdl info off of my old dsdl. Always back up is what I say. Thanks for your time and assistance. On the custom bios, how would you install it seeing as part of the requirements are to have chameleon already installed?

Can you list your exact hardware? or even better create your self a signature? at least then myself and others know what kit you're running with.

You don't install Cartri's modified bios, you flash your motherboard with it (though with caution as any hardware flash can be a dangerous process).

But thinking about your problem, and using the USB install method how about trying this for an experiment to see if the installer completes?

(I am assuming you have made your bootable USB from the guide here)

• remove the DSDT.aml from your USB/Extra/

• adding the included kexts below in to your USB/Extra/Extensions (replacing any existing ones with the same name)

Kexts.zip

Then boot from it and try to install Snow Leopard again.

Hey blackosx , Thanks for your very nice guide.

I used your guide to install SL to my hard drive (dual boot works too) .

I have a Gigabyte p35-DS3

But I still have a problem

Every time after installing chameleon and editing com.apple.boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist files next reboot fails with the classic bootloader theme and exactly the moment it looks its about to arrive at desktop for use , screen goes black with a blinking underscore (I can also type {censored} there but no input / output ofc :D:)) and some times (same boot) it become the blue screen with the loading circle. The 2 last lines i sometimes see in the black screen are these:

NTFS volume name Diskname, version 3.1

and as i have 2 more disks in the system I see 2 of these messages each time they are presented

Could this be a problem with the kexts I added and with editing the com.apple.boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist files (didn 't edit dsdt file) or does it have something to do the my NTFS drives ( doesn't report anything for windows 7 partition though (same disk as SL)

Before I do any changes to these files both SLs (normal and backup as u say in Part 1 of your guide) boot fine with my USB install DVD/retail DVD.

So right now i only have terminal commands to try except if I reinstall SL to the backup partition and keep booting with USB to try to sort out what's wrong

Specs are Intel Q9300, gigabyte p35-ds3 (tried first files for my MB ofc) gigabyte nvidia 260gtx

P..S. Safe mode stops exactly at that point too

Searching for 2 days didn't reveal anything to me or I just suck at searching :P

Hi jedimastermaniac

Well done with your install, though please note that your motherboard and mine are different so the DSDT for this board will not be a perfect match for yours so although it might work it won't be perfect. So I would recommend you find a specific DSDT tailored for your board.

That aside, what changes have you made to your com.apple.boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist on the cham partition?

And I understand you haven't changed anything on your SnowLeopard and Backup installations so you can still boot them both with your bootable USB?

the first time i tried a p35-ds3 files package with the supplies files from another thread (dsdt , etc,..) then yours . Yours was just more succesful than the other 2-3 threads i had read :P:)

As for the partition for some reason they are not bootable anymore which i find strange until i tamper the files in the Cham partition. the only difference with yours files is that i have graphicsenabled enabled and also added boot uuid in the kernel flags as the device names order seems to change in chameleon

Tried to fsck disks in windows and see later if it works as I am at work now (read it on google it might fix it ?? 0_o ).

I ll proably try again with the backup partition reinstall and this time use dsdt patcher , or use the extra folder supplied with yours boot cd/usb chameleon

Thanks for replying :D

the first time i tried a p35-ds3 files package with the supplies files from another thread (dsdt , etc,..) then yours . Yours was just more succesful than the other 2-3 threads i had read ;):)

Thanks - so by all means stick with my guide but I can recommend you use the files from MaLd0n's guide for your board.

As for the partition for some reason they are not bootable anymore which i find strange until i tamper the files in the Cham partition.

Regardless of the state of your cham partition, you should still be able to boot your retail installations from either the BootCD or a bootable USB made from the instructions in part 2 PDF.

the only difference with yours files is that i have graphicsenabled enabled and also added boot uuid in the kernel flags as the device names order seems to change in chameleon

GraphicsEnabler is already enabled in the Support Files without you having to make any changes and why do you need to add a UUID in to kernel flags? what exactly do you mean the device names order seems to change in chameleon?

I ll proably try again with the backup partition reinstall and this time use dsdt patcher , or use the extra folder supplied with yours boot cd/usb chameleon

Okay. Good luck when you try again but look at using MaLd0n's files.

Hello!

My SSD drive died last night so I used this method to install to a regular WD drive with the recent method/file updates and everything is great- 10.6.3 retail install to 10.6.4 via updates... however when I tried to enable 64 bit mode by removing the 2 lines '<key>arch</key>, <string>i386</string>' in com.apple.BOOT.plist on reboot it hangs at the gray apple logo with a continuous spinning wheel.

What have I done wrong and can I somehow boot into this install and correct the problem?

Thanks

Hi jabaman

The easiest way to fix your com.apple.Boot.plist is to boot in to your retail installation from either a BootCD, a bootable USB memory stick or another HDD as long as they have Chameleon installed. Then you can edit it in the finder. Or if you're feeling more adventurous, you can boot up the retail DVD and load up the Terminal to edit your com.apple.Boot.plist ;)

As for not being able to boot the kernel in 64-bit mode..I'm not sure as to exactly why it hangs when you try it but you can always boot in verbose mode (see part 5 PDF) and look at the readout on screen to see where it hangs?.. But do you really need to run the kernel in 64-bit mode?

Thanks Blackosx-

I fixed the com.apple.Boot.plist and skipped trying 64 bit mode and all is well.

I have a EP45-UD3P freeing up this week(new i7 950 going in) so I may try retire the old P35 rig so I won't get too excited about 64 bit mode for now. I was using it to crunch BOINC where 64 bit mode helps.

:P

Thanks - so by all means stick with my guide but I can recommend you use the files from MaLd0n's guide for your board.

Wow thanks . I hadn't found this topic about my board

Regardless of the state of your cham partition, you should still be able to boot your retail installations from either the BootCD or a bootable USB made from the instructions in part 2 PDF.

Aye problem only persists when i boot from hdd bootloader. I ll try the above url files :P

GraphicsEnabler is already enabled in the Support Files without you having to make any changes and why do you need to add a UUID in to kernel flags? what exactly do you mean the device names order seems to change in chameleon?
nah that was just part of imagination :) (thought this might be the error)

device name order is for example , once the disk is disk0 and some other time it's disk 2 swapping its name

(I had this problem in Linux too so i was always using uuid instead of device names

Kernel logs also dont show anything different compared to booting from the usb flash bootloader

Okay. Good luck when you try again but look at using MaLd0n's files.

In case it doesn't work . the usb will do the trick in the end!!! :P:D

P.S. Booting from a SATA DVD drive (boot CD) also resulted in this screen

But still it's fun trying to figure it out hahahah

Thanks for you feedback very much !! ;)

EDIT: Seems like i m looking at the wrong side as something else is wrong , probably the graphics board

I think i ll try kexts and look more for my GPU (gigabyte GTX 260) However booting from USB (to installed system) still works as fine as perfect with no problems (except sound xD :D). I ll try out some things i ve read in the rest threads about gt200 series

Thanks Blackosx-

I fixed the com.apple.Boot.plist and skipped trying 64 bit mode and all is well.

Well done jabaman - at least you're up and running apart from the 64-bit mode. :(

Tried the kexts you posted. For whatever reason now, my flashdrive is not bootable. It is quite strange. I will continue to work on it. If I fix the dsdt first, would I just replace it on the bootable disk?

It was worth a try but it was a guess as I still don't know what hardware you have? And yes, you can replace the DSDT.aml with your own one in /Extra.

Hi jedimastermaniac

device name order is for example , once the disk is disk0 and some other time it's disk 2 swapping its name

(I had this problem in Linux too so i was always using uuid instead of device names

Chameleon gets it's device order from the BIOS device list which will always be the same as long as you boot from the same default HDD each time. OS X has been know to show this list differently sometimes... So to determine exactly how each drive is seen to Chameleon, when at the GUI, press TAB.

EDIT: Seems like i m looking at the wrong side as something else is wrong , probably the graphics board

I think i ll try kexts and look more for my GPU (gigabyte GTX 260) However booting from USB (to installed system) still works as fine as perfect with no problems (except sound xD :)). I ll try out some things i ve read in the rest threads about gt200 series

Your GTX260 should work without any issue and your sound is due to you having ALC889A where as my board uses ALC888. All you will need to get your audio working is a DSDT with patched HDEF device and LegacyHDA.kext in /Extra/Extensions (No need to worry about the patched AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E as I do). Check out a guide for your board to double check the details.

Yes i have sorted out the sound part easily (with hdaenabler kext thought instead of hdef - was bored to edit more :))

gtx260 was the issue in the end . You guide worked fine with my board all right in the end :(

For the gtx260 i tried to update SL to 10.6.4 which caused a kernel panic . dunno what did wrong there as i thought that 10.6.4 added vanilla support for it . at HCL i saw that gigabyte boards might require NVenabler.kext which in the end I added to the backup partition and seemed to fix the kernel panic as well as the black screen issue .

Maybe it's brand specific for gigabyte boards that it doesn't work "out of the box" (as adding the EFI string manually didn't work out too)

NVenabler (/64 added too) sorted it out for me though easily

THanks to the guy (dont remember name forgot to bookmark tab :wacko:) tho made the thread for gtx260/70/80/95 with the assembled info

Alright guys, I've been living with a brick of a computer for the last 8-10 months. Every 3-4 months, I'll come back to it and try and get 10.6 to run following the guide.

Everytime there's an update to the support files, I try again. No love.

For some reason I was feeling sassy and decided to try it again with the latest support files.

I continue to get the "CPU 1 has no HPET assigned to it," KP.

I've checked my BIOS settings(more on that in a sec), and all is good.

10.6 loads fine and all goes well until the restart and KP. I've tried single user, ignore caches etc in Chameleon.

So I'm stuck. It's killing me because I embarked on this project to replace a dying PowerMac tower in my music studio. I haven't been able to record since I decided to try to load 10.6. The computer was fully functioning using the original pseudo-vanilla install from Lensman(not sure if I got his user name correct.

One weird thing is that after a KP, my BIOS settings will get all frigged up. Wondering if there's an issue with the firmware I'm using for the board. I believe it's the latest.

Any suggestions are most welcome. I'm almost ready to ship this {censored} off to one of you guys and send you some beer money to get me up and running! ;-)

Thanks, John

Alright guys, I've been living with a brick of a computer for the last 8-10 months. Every 3-4 months, I'll come back to it and try and get 10.6 to run following the guide.

Everytime there's an update to the support files, I try again. No love.

For some reason I was feeling sassy and decided to try it again with the latest support files.

I continue to get the "CPU 1 has no HPET assigned to it," KP.

I've checked my BIOS settings(more on that in a sec), and all is good.

10.6 loads fine and all goes well until the restart and KP. I've tried single user, ignore caches etc in Chameleon.

So I'm stuck. It's killing me because I embarked on this project to replace a dying PowerMac tower in my music studio. I haven't been able to record since I decided to try to load 10.6. The computer was fully functioning using the original pseudo-vanilla install from Lensman(not sure if I got his user name correct.

One weird thing is that after a KP, my BIOS settings will get all frigged up. Wondering if there's an issue with the firmware I'm using for the board. I believe it's the latest.

Any suggestions are most welcome. I'm almost ready to ship this {censored} off to one of you guys and send you some beer money to get me up and running! ;-)

Thanks, John

Upload your DSDT

run on terminal

perl -e 'open(CMD, "ioreg -lw0 \| grep DSDT|") or die; while(<CMD>) { chomp; if($_ =~ /\"DSDT\.?\d?\"=<([^>]*)>/) { $buff = $1; open(PIP, "|xxd -r -p > dsdt.aml") or die; print PIP "$1"; } }'

the DSDT will be generated in user folder

send me

what is your motherboard?