[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hi lnx2mac

Many thanks for your detailed response and thanks for the netperf tip :)

I'll have to find some time for testing and I'll report back my findings when I do.

Regards

:thumbsup_anim:

EDIT: I couldn't resist having a quick go with your first test with netperf, and these are the results:

Hehe... Guess we Hackintoshers are all OCDs ;)

From home on my hack running OS X to a Windows 7 PC running netperf server:

netperf -D -l 60 -H 192.168.0.4 -t TCP_STREAM
TCP STREAM TEST from (null) (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to (null) (192.168.0.4) port 0 AF_INET : demo
Interim result: 13.95 10^6bits/s over 1.05 seconds
Interim result: 9.06 10^6bits/s over 1.04 seconds
.../snip/...

Recv   Send    Send                          
Socket Socket  Message  Elapsed              
Size   Size    Size     Time     Throughput  
bytes  bytes   bytes    secs.    10^6bits/sec  

8192 131070 131070    60.05      12.38 

So very poor results! I'll have to look deeper in to my issue, but for now I have to leave for work.

Indeed very low... Are you on Autonegotiated ? What does the Ethernet PrefPane show you as media ?

If you have a 3rd machine it might help cross-testing to try to identify the culprit...

Or could that be the switch ?

EDIT: I took my machine to work with me today and tested on the company network.

:lol::thumbsup_anim:

This time from my hack running OS X to a iMac i7 running netperf server:

netperf -D -l 60 -H 192.168.0.54 -t TCP_STREAM
TCP STREAM TEST from (null) (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to (null) (192.168.0.54) port 0 AF_INET : demo
Interim result: 92.78 10^6bits/s over 1.28 seconds
.../snip/...
Interim result: 93.02 10^6bits/s over 1.00 seconds
Interim result: 93.10 10^6bits/s over 1.00 seconds
Interim result: 93.10 10^6bits/s over 1.00 seconds
Recv Send Send
Socket Socket Message Elapsed
Size Size Size Time Throughput
bytes bytes bytes secs. 10^6bits/sec

262140 131070 131070    60.23      86.88  

That looks better, and could match a 100TX network... not a Gigabit.

This time from my hack running OS X to a Windows XP PC running netperf server:

netperf -D -l 60 -H 192.168.0.19 -t TCP_STREAM
TCP STREAM TEST from (null) (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to (null) (192.168.0.19) port 0 AF_INET : demo
Interim result: 94.00 10^6bits/s over 1.91 seconds
.../snip/...
Interim result: 93.51 10^6bits/s over 1.01 seconds
Recv Send Send
Socket Socket Message Elapsed
Size Size Size Time Throughput
bytes bytes bytes secs. 10^6bits/sec

8192 131070 131070    60.01      93.50 

So an improvement, but I'm not sure what figures I should be hoping to see?

Yeah. Looks like it's negotiated a 100TX link... not a Gigabit.

From my hack running Windows 7 to a Windows XP PC running netperf server:

netclient.exe -H 192.68.0.19
TCP STREAM TEST to 192.168.0.19
Recv   Send    Send                          

8192   8192   8192   10.00   94.06  

The TCP Round Trip Test:

From my hack running OS X to a Windows XP PC running netperf server:

netperf -H 192.168.0.19 -t TCP_RR
TCP REQUEST/RESPONSE TEST from (null) (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to (null) (192.168.0.19) port 0 AF_INET : demo
Local /Remote
Socket Size   Request  Resp.   Elapsed  Trans.
Send   Recv   Size     Size    Time     Rate         
bytes  Bytes  bytes    bytes   secs.    per sec   

131070 262140 1        1       10.00    5207.65   
8192   8192 

This looks OK, and note it's mainly influenced by the CPU load of the machines.

From my hack running Windows 7 to a Windows XP PC running netperf server:

netclient.exe -H 192.68.0.19
TCP STREAM TEST to 192.168.0.19
Recv   Send    Send                          

8192   8192      1        1       10.00    7013.30   
8192   8192   

Hmmm... This one looks weird. Is this TCP_STREAM or TCP_RR ?

Might be a copy-paste bug ? ;)

Hmmm.... Note also how in all cases with Windows, the Recv Buff is only 8K...

Doesn't look like it supports the RTL8169/8110 chipset on the Netgear GA311?

Indeed. Not ATM :(

Keep an eye on future betas, though ;)

Good Luck!

Lnx2Mac

Hi Lnx2Mac - Thanks for coming back :(

Hehe... Guess we Hackintoshers are all OCDs :thumbsup_anim:

Lol.. yeah. something like that :thumbsup_anim:

Indeed very low... Are you on Autonegotiated ? What does the Ethernet PrefPane show you as media ?

I think I'm on auto negotiated? (my networking skills aren't the greatest)..

Ethernet Prefpane here at work shows me:

post-331032-1285263796_thumb.png

and I think it shows me the same at home. (Need to double check)

If you have a 3rd machine it might help cross-testing to try to identify the culprit...

Or could that be the switch ?

I do have another PC running Vista at home, I'll have to re-test using that.

I'm using this Netgear Rangemax ADSL Modem / Route

That looks better, and could match a 100TX network... not a Gigabit.

Yeah. Looks like it's negotiated a 100TX link... not a Gigabit.

Cool. Yeah at work it's not a gigabit switch. So my results look normal here then?

I was encouraged by the test with the iMac i7 to Windows PC test being the same as my hack though.

netperf -D -l 60 -H 192.168.0.19 -t TCP_STREAM

My Hack
 8192 131070 131070    60.01      93.50 

iMac
8192 131070 131070    60.01      93.91 

This looks OK, and note it's mainly influenced by the CPU load of the machines.

That's understandable and explains the differences.

Hmmm... This one looks weird. Is this TCP_STREAM or TCP_RR ?

Might be a copy-paste bug ? :lol:

I'm not sure now!.. (Doh!) but the Windows version of netperf didn't allow the -D option saying it needed to be compiled with -DINTERVALs included or something like that. So that could be either.. I can check again?

Hmmm.... Note also how in all cases with Windows, the Recv Buff is only 8K...

Yes. I did notice some results only giving 8K. What could that be?

So to summise from my testing today on the network at work along with your comments, I tihnk it's safe to say that my machine seems to score normal results expected for a 100TX network. So I just need to have a deeper look in to my home network settings?

It's time for me to leave work now, so I'll hopefully grab a bit of time later tonight (or if not, in the morning) to double check my home network settings. Thanks again for your kind help and input.

EDIT: I have tested with netperf at home from my hack to another Vista PC and this time the results as promising, which now means the issue lies with my Windows 7 machine! ;)

netperf -D -l 60 -H 192.168.0.2 -t TCP_STREAM

Recv   Send    Send                          

8192 131070 131070    60.01      92.97 

However the 2nd test showed a slight less convincing result? Transfer rate in the 100's not 1000's ?

netperf -H 192.168.0.2 -t TCP_RR
Local /Remote
Socket Size   Request  Resp.   Elapsed  Trans.
Send   Recv   Size     Size    Time     Rate         
bytes  Bytes  bytes    bytes   secs.    per sec   

131070 262140 1        1       10.00     411.69   
8192   8192  

Regards

blackosx

@MaLd0n - Thanks.. I hope it works for your board as it does mine.

@Helob - To undo your previous bonjour implementation, just reverse which ever option you used when you installed originally. Only you'll know which method you used, but to refresh your memory have a look at section 5 of PDF 'Part 4 - Configure for GA-EP45-DS3L ' which shows both methods I had recommended previously.

Tks for the excellent help and guidance.

Will look at the indicated PDF and revert to you if there is further help required.

Have a nice day

Hey, I hope this hasn't been answered within the thread before but going through 161 pages would be pretty time consuming. Anyways i have a nvidia gtx260 and have heard problems with the screen going black after installing sl. But i got this problem just as the install DVD(retail) was loading its stuff. I got to the grey screen with the apple and the rotating thing and then blackness. The monitor stopped receiving data and went into standby mode. The dvd was still loading, its light blinking and the system was still running fine. Any ideas about why this would happen, is it a gtx260 problem. I probably have an old 7600gt lying about here somewhere i could try using.

thanks

adam

Hi adamdaly

InsanelyMac's search function makes it easy to look through the 161 pages of this thread.

I'm using the 'Insanely Lucid' theme for this forum:

post-331032-1285490626_thumb.png

And at the bottom left corner of the main window is a search box:

post-331032-1285490679_thumb.png

Typing 'gtx260' in there shows me these results which I can quickly look through to find some answers. And from looking at it, I guess you will need to be using a recent version of Chameleon which should inject the correct system information for your card at boot.

With OSX on one disk and Ubuntu plus maybe windows on the other.

Well, after a bit of a fight - apparently you need to install grub on the linux partition, for chameleon to recognise that linux is installed I now have a tri-boot system. Only problem at the moment is that windows wont boot if I select it in chameleon, though it boots fine if I select linux and then start windows via grub.

Off to read up on windows + chameleon + tri-boot =D

UPDATE:

I've updated the Support Files, BootCD, Part 3 & 4 PDF Guides. See front page for more info

I just wanted to thank you for continuing to consistently provide updates and support for this walkthrough. I've had a stable build for over a year now, and refuse to update to the next version of OSX or swap out hardware without consulting this guide first. Keep it up, BlackOSX! :)

blackosx: just wanted to say Thanks!! Your guide was the most thorough and understandable (I'm a hackintosh noob.) Used your guide despite the fact I had a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R. Can't tell you how much better this is having Chameleon on separate partition, and having a backup OSX install partition. It saves my butt on a regular basis. Very very logically presented and easy to understand guide. Like I say, best guide I've seen for hackintosh, even for boards other than the one in the guide. Thank You!!

CARTRI BIOS is great.

Finally I solved all issues of my EP45-DS3LR. No need for DSDT.aml, just patch the BIOS with the proper file from cartri.net, remove all kexts all but fakesmc, add the revised AppleHDA in system extensions, and here you go.

The GA-EP45-DS3LR works like a charm. 10.6.4

UPDATE:

I have re-worked Part 2 PDF and finally (after a year from the first post in this thread about it) got round to adding the option of restoring the retail DVD to an HDD partition. The Support Files have also had a tweak to the Extra folder in Part 2 to match the PDF. Links to the revised files are posted on the front page.

Well, after a bit of a fight - apparently you need to install grub on the linux partition, for chameleon to recognise that linux is installed I now have a tri-boot system.

Hi ZenGiga

Well done with your new build :(

If it's of use, you can find posts about running GRUB along side Chameleon on Voodooprojects' forum

@RKmd, oldgrowth

Thanks for your kind words. I'm happy to hear my efforts of collecting and organising the information for these PDF's have helped you :)

CARTRI BIOS is great.

Good to hear you're happy sjpapa :P

Cartri is still beavering away with the Gigabyte BIOS's trying to evolve the next stage.

Help me!!

I have an acer timelineX 4820TG (notebook).

I tried to do a dual-boot mac- Win7 but during the re-installation of Win7 something went wrong and the bios was corrupted. Infact, everytime I turn on the notebook, the only thing I see is acer's logo.

I can not enter the bios.

How can I do?

I've hit an odd problem. I extracted the .iso for the boot cd using powerISO. I've then edited the com.apple.Boot.plist to include the graphics enabler option (set to no) and the hex value for the gtx260. I then used imgBurn to create a new .iso with the updated com.apple.Boot.plist. I've burnt this to disk but it won't boot from this new cd. I set it to load from cd and it reads it for a bit then bypasses it to load vista. What method should i be using.

Thanks

adam

@amens

An OS installation shouldn't stop you entering BIOS but posting in this Gigabyte topic about your acer notebook problem probably won't give you the best answers. Have you looked at the acer support pages for your problem?

Thank you very much. I read acer's guide but I didn't find answers.

I thought it was better to write here for expert's answers.

CARTRI BIOS is great.

Finally I solved all issues of my EP45-DS3LR. No need for DSDT.aml, just patch the BIOS with the proper file from cartri.net, remove all kexts all but fakesmc, add the revised AppleHDA in system extensions, and here you go.

The GA-EP45-DS3LR works like a charm. 10.6.4

Great - I want to look into this as well. What chameleon boot loader are you using ?

How was the "migration": Install boot - flash bios - boot & remove kexts ?

What is blackosx's opinion - do you use it ?

regards

hausi

I've hit an odd problem. I extracted the .iso for the boot cd using powerISO. I've then edited the com.apple.Boot.plist to include the graphics enabler option (set to no) and the hex value for the gtx260. I then used imgBurn to create a new .iso with the updated com.apple.Boot.plist. I've burnt this to disk but it won't boot from this new cd. I set it to load from cd and it reads it for a bit then bypasses it to load vista. What method should i be using.

Hi adamdaly

Does the GraphicEnabler=Yes option not work for your card? it does for Professor's gtx260 (Link)

But as for re-building the BootCD in Windows, there have been a few posts (somewhere) on voodooproject's forum but I can't speak from experience as I haven't tried it.

Thank you very much. I read acer's guide but I didn't find answers.

I thought it was better to write here for expert's answers.

@amens - I don't have an acer machine and I have never played with the acer BIOS. I don't know what exact steps you followed to get where you are but from what you say, installing Windows 7 should NOT corrupt the BIOS. I guess you've tried unplugging the machine from all power and resetting the CMOS? But I do suggest you ask around on acer specific topics where users of similar hardware might have some better ideas for you. I wish you luck :rolleyes:

What is blackosx's opinion - do you use it ?

Hi g_h

If you want to try Cartri's modified Gigabyte BIOS then give it a go. It works as advertised and the flash procedure is straightforward, though nerve-racking if you haven't done it before. I have flashed my motherboard maybe 30 times over the past year without any problems but work slowly and follow Cartri's documentation to the letter. If in doubt, stop and ask as a wrong move can potentially kill your motherboard!

The whole point of using the modified BIOS is to use the tweaks in it, so that means booting your machine using a modified Chameleon which attemps to disable some of Chameleon's features which by default un-do/override the fixes on the motherboard. You will no longer load a separate DSDT.aml from file and use of the DSDT.aml in the BIOS. I've lost track recently of what changes are in what version but v0.8 enabled vanilla powermanagement (speedstep) for most CPU's without doing anything! I think the latest BIOS developments have concentrated on re-organising the device-tree and trying to enable native video support without need for GraphicsEnabler - but the ultimate aim is being able to boot OS X directly from the BIOS without using Chameleon.. Interesting stuff!!

I currently have my BIOS flashed with version 0.7T of Cartri's BIOS though I don't use it as intended (sorry Cartri :P ) as I currently boot with Chameleon RC5 (r517) and inject the DSDT.aml and kexts as shown in the latest PDF's and support files here.

But as for re-building the BootCD in Windows, there have been a few posts (somewhere) on voodooproject's forum but I can't speak from experience as I haven't tried it.

Hi blackosx, Should i edit and build my new disk image using OSX, would it make any difference compared to buildng it in windows?

Thanks

adam

I've only ever done it from OS X so that's what I recommend. I can't comment from the windows point of view therefore I recommend you search out some answers? Here's a couple of posts to get your started:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,911.0.html

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,1361.0.html

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=942.60

@amens - I don't have an acer machine and I have never played with the acer BIOS. I don't know what exact steps you followed to get where you are but from what you say, installing Windows 7 should NOT corrupt the BIOS. I guess you've tried unplugging the machine from all power and resetting the CMOS? But I do suggest you ask around on acer specific topics where users of similar hardware might have some better ideas for you. I wish you luck :(

How can I do to reset the CMOS on notebook? I don't know the procedure...

You're so kind! Thanks!

ps.- I have insyde bios on my notebook.