[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hi tetris101

I today installed the retail upgrade SL 10.6.3 as per your guide and supplied files. I can boot from boot CD but not my cham partition (separate partition) where I loaded all required files.

What happens when you boot from the HDD? What error messages do you see?

My network works fine, but couldn't change the display setting which is low 1080x 720. using a nvidia 8800GS pci card on a dell 2309wa monitor. I tried to change the .com.plist but no go. also didn't get the audio yet. using a gigabyte ds3r m/b with Q6700 cpu. I believe all the e/e files are in cham partition except AppleHDA modified file to osx/library/extensions.

If you've got the EP45-DS3R then you have to take note that your motherboard will use a different DSDT to the one supplied here. Also your mobo uses ALC889a as opposed to ALC888 for the EP45-DS3L so your audio will need a different kext solution.

The display setting can be changed by using the 'Graphics Mode' key/string in the com.apple.Boot.plist.

If you've got the EP45-DS3R then you have to take note that your motherboard will use a different DSDT to the one supplied here. Also your mobo uses ALC889a as opposed to ALC888 for the EP45-DS3L so your audio will need a different kext solution.

Take a look at the ALC889a solution... you'll need to modify the DSDT and LegecyHDA889a kexts, both attached to my post here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1457718

Thanx guys for the reply.

I am still couldn't boot from HDD, as I changed .plists, Replaced DSDT with Johneys one and put audio AL889 kext, no go. still reading.

I changed the .com.plist in osx/library/preferences/plist in Terminal for graphic mode to resolve the resolution couldn't success, no audio either. Still reading.

What about Catris bios update? will it resolve my problem? I do not know how to edit dsdt.

Tetris

Hi TEPP, I've only seen posts referring to wireless PCI cards and not USB adapters and I haven't used either on my hack. Sorry.

Hi blackosx,

What is your PCI Brand/model you think it work fine on Hackintosh?

Thanks

Hi there,

I am updating from 10.6.0 to 10.6.4.

I just get to the dark screen - similar to when the video card is not recognised. But screen also remains dark when booting with -f .

Booting -v the last lines are - LPC device init failed - followed by Ethernet - waiting to negot - true.

10.6 works to perfection. I am using the same boot.plist since 10.5.5 which Blackosx provided, I think we have the same video card.

Extra folder: dsdt.aml, SMBIOS + Extensions has Disabler, fakesmc and OrangeIconFix.

I dont bother with onboard audio / ethernet.

I would appreciate some advice. My uninformed instincts suspect the boot.plist needs some change since 10.5.5.

blackosx, I have noticed few times now that after I put my computer to sleep and wake it up, my printer does not work. I have to turn it off and on again in order to print. Any idea what can be causing this?

Hi CyCLoBoT. Has this always happened or just recently? and is it the same for all USB ports?

I am updating from 10.6.0 to 10.6.4.

I just get to the dark screen - similar to when the video card is not recognised. But screen also remains dark when booting with -f .

Booting -v the last lines are - LPC device init failed - followed by Ethernet - waiting to negot - true.

10.6 works to perfection. I am using the same boot.plist since 10.5.5 which Blackosx provided, I think we have the same video card.

Hi geithals

Did you apply the 10.6.4 update to a backup/secondary installation and have you still got a 10.6.0 system running?

If so, do you see the LPC device init failed message when booting 10.6.0?

Also, if your existing com.apple.Boot.plist allows you to boot 10.6.0 then there shouldn't be any changes required to boot 10.6.4... Can you post the contents of it? and what version of Chameleon are you using?

Hi geithals

Did you apply the 10.6.4 update to a backup/secondary installation and have you still got a 10.6.0 system running?

If so, do you see the LPC device init failed message when booting 10.6.0?

Also, if your existing com.apple.Boot.plist allows you to boot 10.6.0 then there shouldn't be any changes required to boot 10.6.4... Can you post the contents of it? and what version of Chameleon are you using?

Hi Blackosx,

Booting 10.6.0 in -v , I get the DSMOS HAS ARRIVED and then some ethernet stuff .

booting 10.6.4 -v I don't get the dsmos has arrived, and about 10 lines of extra stuff instead. some hda references. lpc device failed. cst eval failed.

then the screen goes dark as usual, I hear the 2 clicks as usual, which should immediately precede the screen to light up but it just goes black.

here is the pList for the 8800gt,

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>None</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,3)</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

Cham Volume was constructed from part 4 - support files v1.4.

In the meantime I will reformat the Cham volume and redo it. I note that I don't have to use my password to make changes to the contents of the Cham volume, since upgrading from 10.5.8 to 10.6.

Many thanks.

edit : just redid the Cham volume but same outcome, ´tis curious.

Hi geithals

Can you boot in to your 10.6.4 installation from the BootCD?

Another thing to try... Can you change your com.apple.Boot.plist to this and then try booting with only fakesmc.kext in /Extra/Extensions?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1680x1050x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>arch</key>
<string>i386</string>
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,3)</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Also, out of interest, when you say you hear 2 clicks as usual, what's that from? I have never noticed any clicks?

Hi geithals

Can you boot in to your 10.6.4 installation from the BootCD?

Thanks blackosx,

I have in the past failed to be successful in getting it to boot up using the bootcd. I use the memory stick OS install method. Tried again with bootcd, I just get the OS10.6.O option to boot into, of course if I click for more options on the 10.6.0 icon I can chose the 10.6.4 install, but that won't work.

Another thing to try... Can you change your com.apple.Boot.plist to this and then try booting with only fakesmc.kext in /Extra/Extensions?

I am hit or miss on boot plist construction, can you post up your boot plist please, to be sure?

Also, out of interest, when you say you hear 2 clicks as usual, what's that from? I have never noticed any clicks?

Sorry, that was a red herring, albeit not intentional. Just as the screen goes dark before the desktop appears, the 2 clicks I hear are now known to come from the external firewire sound card.

Tried booting into present set up with one fakesmc.kext in /Extra/Extensions

Tried booting with my attempt at your pList suggestions and both no dice.

That SMBIOS shouldn't matter should it? I haven't made any changes to it from how it appears in the support files v1.4

I am very happily sucking diesel on OS10.6.0 and this 10.6.4 trial is on a back up disk so there is really no stress about it at all on my part, well, just a curiousity that itches a bit :wacko:

Hi CyCLoBoT. Has this always happened or just recently? and is it the same for all USB ports?

You know I don't know. I never used to put my computer to sleep before but now that I started doing it (~ 3 weeks or so), the issue has persisted. I will try switching the USB ports and see if it works.

CyCLoBoT, it would be safe to say that putting the computer to sleep is a cause of the problem ;)

With 10.5. I use to experience some minor issues (not usb related) after the computer woke up but all that is better with 10.6.

Is it only the printer? any other usb devices affected?

CyCLoBoT, it would be safe to say that putting the computer to sleep is a cause of the problem :thumbsdown_anim:

With 10.5. I use to experience some minor issues (not usb related) after the computer woke up but all that is better with 10.6.

Is it only the printer? any other usb devices affected?

The only other USB devices I have are the Apple keyboard and regular cordless USB mouse and they both function correctly after waking up.

The only other USB devices I have are the Apple keyboard and regular cordless USB mouse and they both function correctly after waking up.

But are you using a DSDT which has been fixed to make the USB devices appear builtin to the the system? I thought this was one of the big problems when everyone upgraded to Snow Leo because people with machines that slept just fine all of a sudden it didn't work correctly.

But are you using a DSDT which has been fixed to make the USB devices appear builtin to the the system? I thought this was one of the big problems when everyone upgraded to Snow Leo because people with machines that slept just fine all of a sudden it didn't work correctly.

Yes I'm using the DSDT file which blackosx provided a while back. Everything is working flawlessly and this printer issue is a minor thing but it would be great if I can manage to fix it.

Sorry for my absence but I have been very busy on other projects, though I have already said that my support of general questions here will be less as most questions have already been covered.

Having said that, I had to report that latest developments with the Chameleon RC5 pre-release bootloader. While there has been continued bug fixing, updates and new features there is one big feature that Mozodojo created - Vanilla Power Management (a.k.a. speedstep).

To use this you will need the following:

• The latest Chameleon RC5 pre-release r193.

• The DSDT.aml from the support files in this thread (if you have a DSDT already patched with _PSS / _CST data then that will cause a KP)

• AppleLPC must be loaded - This is enabled by default on the EP45-DS3L.

post-331032-1279782892_thumb.png

If you're NOT running the EP45-DS3L then you will need to check it is and if it's not then you will have to patch Device (LPCB) in DSDT - See FormlerlyknownAs's Opening Post on the Vanilla Speedstep thread for further details.

• Not be using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext or SleepEnabler.kext

• Add the following to your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Note: You may also need to add (depending on your CPU)

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

It's wise to have a separate Chameleon install on a secondary HDD, bootable USB stick or BootCD handy that you know works for you system just in case you get a memory allocation error when booting from this. If you do get that error then you will want to add the DropSSDT boot option to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

I have updated the Support Files to v1.4.1 to contain the latest version of the Chameleon bootloader for this and posted it on the front page.

Hi Backosx

i have succeffully installed Snow Leopard on my PC with the same mb you used.

You work is very excellent.

Thank you thank you very much and continue to help us in this great project.

Giuseppe :)

Ps: Could you tell us wich project are you following ?

Hey guys,

I'm totally new to this forum. Sorry if this is the wrong area, however I successfully followed this tutorial and everything is working perfectly... So thankyou very much for compiling such a professional tutorial.

The only strange thing I am experiencing is all my internal drives apart from the OS drive are showing as removable media in System Profiler, and in finder they have eject buttons next to them and its possible to unmount them. I was wondering what I can do to resolve this minor issue as apart from this flaw the system is perfect.

My system specs are as follows:

Gigabyte GA-ep45-ds3l

2 x 2gb g skill pi 1066 DDR2

q9650 @ 3ghz

Nvidia 7800GTX 256mb

1 x western digital 320gb sata hdd (Chameleon and OSX partitions)

2 x seagate 500gb sata hdd's (NTFS windows and storage)

Like i said it's so close to perfection it's a shame to have such a minor little bug. I've searched around the forums and I have just found myself in a confused state lol. I have applied the 'Orange Icons' .kext also as per the tutorial.

My System Profiler details for the ICH10 Sata Tree are as follows:

Intel ICH10 AHCI:

Vendor: Intel

Product: ICH10 AHCI

Link Speed: 3 Gigabit

Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit

Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

WDC WD3200AAJS-65VWA0:

Capacity: 320.07 GB (320,072,933,376 bytes)

Model: WDC WD3200AAJS-65VWA0

Revision: 12.01B02

Serial Number: WD-WCARW1681641

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: Yes

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk1

Medium Type: Rotational

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Volumes:

Cham:

Capacity: 939.5 MB (939,524,096 bytes)

Available: 907.7 MB (907,689,984 bytes)

Writable: Yes

File System: Journaled HFS+

BSD Name: disk1s2

Mount Point: /Volumes/Cham

Snow Leopard:

Capacity: 318.79 GB (318,789,435,392 bytes)

Available: 297.17 GB (297,166,331,904 bytes)

Writable: Yes

File System: Journaled HFS+

BSD Name: disk1s3

Mount Point: /

Intel ICH10 AHCI:

ST3500418AS:

Capacity: 500.11 GB (500,106,780,160 bytes)

Model: ST3500418AS

Revision: CC34

Serial Number: 6VM0LPCG

BSD Name: disk2

Rotational Rate: 7200

Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)

Volumes:

sys_xp:

Capacity: 395.24 GB (395,241,122,304 bytes)

Available: 142.75 GB (142,747,545,600 bytes)

Writable: No

File System: NTFS

BSD Name: disk2s1

Mount Point: /Volumes/sys_xp

sys_win7:

Capacity: 104.86 GB (104,864,062,464 bytes)

Available: 104.79 GB (104,793,227,264 bytes)

BSD Name: disk2s5

Mount Point: /Volumes/sys_win7

Intel ICH10 AHCI:

ST3500418AS:

Capacity: 500.1 GB (500,103,634,432 bytes)

Model: ST3500418AS

Revision: CC35

Serial Number: 5VM2EKX5

BSD Name: disk0

Rotational Rate: 7200

Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)

Volumes:

data:

Capacity: 500.1 GB (500,103,397,376 bytes)

Available: 2.04 GB (2,035,666,944 bytes)

BSD Name: disk0s1

Mount Point: /Volumes/data

As you can see it's showing the drives as Removable Media.. I'm sure it's an easy fix I just don't know where to start.. :/

Any help would be greatly appreciated ;)

Cheers

-Sam