[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hello, BlackOSX.

This may be entirely off subject, but I've done every Google search I can think of.

You may recall, I had an issue with my LCD television to display after updating to 10.6.3.

The fix then was to rollback NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext to 10.6.2.

Now, since I have updated to 10.6.4, this method no longer works. I have come across a new issue.

The Auto-Detect Display feature built into OSX. If the OS does not detect a monitor currently on or plugged into the machine, it will turn off Open GL and change to a blue screen, disallowing any usage of the mouse, keyboard, etc.

I am using a DVI to HDMI adapter, which, as it seems, does not send a signal back from the monitor to the computer to detect that it is currently plugged in.

My question is, is there some way to disable the Auto-detect feature, or if anyone else has run into this problem and knows how to fix it.

My current system configuration is:

EP45-DS3L

nVidia Geforce 9800GTX+ 1GB

OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.4 w/ 64-bit kernel

I do not have a custom com.apple.boot.plist or ASDT file.

I am using the Cartri BIOS for my board and Cartri's custom Chameleon boot loader with Graphics Enabler set to yes.

Thank you for any response. And thank you again for such great support and please keep up the good work.

Sorry for my absence but I have been very busy on other projects, though I have already said that my support of general questions here will be less as most questions have already been covered.

Having said that, I had to report that latest developments with the Chameleon RC5 pre-release bootloader. While there has been continued bug fixing, updates and new features there is one big feature that Mozodojo created - Vanilla Power Management (a.k.a. speedstep).

To use this you will need the following:

• The latest Chameleon RC5 pre-release r193.

• The DSDT.aml from the support files in this thread (if you have a DSDT already patched with _PSS / _CST data then that will cause a KP)

• AppleLPC must be loaded - This is enabled by default on the EP45-DS3L.

post-331032-1279782892_thumb.png

If you're NOT running the EP45-DS3L then you will need to check it is and if it's not then you will have to patch Device (LPCB) in DSDT - See FormlerlyknownAs's Opening Post on the Vanilla Speedstep thread for further details.

• Not be using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext or SleepEnabler.kext

• Add the following to your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Note: You may also need to add (depending on your CPU)

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

It's wise to have a separate Chameleon install on a secondary HDD, bootable USB stick or BootCD handy that you know works for you system just in case you get a memory allocation error when booting from this. If you do get that error then you will want to add the DropSSDT boot option to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

I have updated the Support Files to v1.4.1 to contain the latest version of the Chameleon bootloader for this and posted it on the front page.

Tks for informing and sharing with us Chameleon RC5 pre-release bootloader.

Looks like the pre-release bootloader is still in the process of fine tuning.

Can you comment on the latest relaease?

Is it advisable to install the latest pre-realease (?) for Vanilla Power Management?

Let us know the latest pre-release you have tested and found to be stable.

TQ & Keep up the good work.

Hi Blackosx,

could you pls tell me if you have inserted the HDEF device for audio in the DSDT supplied from you ? if yes could you pls send me the DSDT without audio injection ?

Can you pls tell me what is the mean when you say: Basic DSDT ? only without Speedstep ?

Wich software have you used to create the DSDT ?

Many Tks & Rgds

Giuseppe

>could you pls tell me if you have inserted the HDEF device for audio in the DSDT supplied from you?

Yes

> if yes could you pls send me the DSDT without audio injection?

Why? Just delete:

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x05
                   })
               }

OperationRegion (HDCS, PCI_Config, 0x54, 0x04)
               Field (HDCS, DWordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
               {
                       ,   15, 
                   PMES,   1
               }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x08)
                       {
                           "subsystem-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0xA0, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"subsystem-vendor-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x6B, 0x10, 0x10, 0x10
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x78, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (Zero) {}
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }

>Can you pls tell me what is the mean when you say: Basic DSDT ? only without Speedstep ?

The supplied DSDT on the first page is without Speedstep... So it's Basic.

>Wich software have you used to create the DSDT?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189272

The only strange thing I am experiencing is all my internal drives apart from the OS drive are showing as removable media in System Profiler, and in finder they have eject buttons next to them and its possible to unmount them. I was wondering what I can do to resolve this minor issue as apart from this flaw the system is perfect.

Hi akira Takahashi

What you're seeing is a feature of ICH10 and is normal. My system shows the same :thumbsup_anim:

I own EP45 DS3... would it work if i used this tutorial and these included files?

Anyone tried?

Hi Gerontius

I am sure there have been many requests for your board here before. This general guide principles will work fine, but you will need a different DSDT and audio solution to what you'll find in the Support Files and PDF's here.

Try searching this thread for your motherboard in the search box at the bottom left of the page, just above the page numbers where it reads 'Enter Keywords'.

My question is, is there some way to disable the Auto-detect feature, or if anyone else has run into this problem and knows how to fix it.

Hi Farshnowshkin

To be honest, I don't know and there's not really much more I can say. Sorry.

Just wanted to say thanks for the great install guide. It was a tremendous help and I'm loving my hackintosh!!!

I'm glad it helped you and welcome to the world of hackintosh :(

BLACKOSX is Jesus !

And each and every other developer in this community is also Jesus !

Thanks to all of you for giving me years og hobbies and never a boring week !

I wouldn't go that far savadious, But it's good to hear another happy cheer :)

how can i check if is all ok about the temperature and Speedstep ?

Voodoomonitor doesn ' t work with the new bootloader.

Hi giuseppe001

What makes you say VoodooMonitor doesn't work? It works fine for me

Tks for informing and sharing with us Chameleon RC5 pre-release bootloader.

Looks like the pre-release bootloader is still in the process of fine tuning.

Can you comment on the latest relaease?

Is it advisable to install the latest pre-realease (?) for Vanilla Power Management?

Let us know the latest pre-release you have tested and found to be stable.

TQ & Keep up the good work.

Hi helob

RC5 is coming along well and the last release I tested was r257. It works great and I don't see any reason why you can't use the pre-release builds. Just make sure you have a BootCD / bootable USB stick (which you know works for your system) that you can fall back to just incase you have a problem. Or conversely, install the pre-release RC5 build to a USB and boot your system from there so you're not touching your cham install. :)

I've attached r257 for you to try if you want.

But make sure you know what you're doing before using it and if you're not sure then wait for the official release.

preRC5_Build_r257.zip

@Johnny V - Hi mate :) - Thanks for helping out giuseppe001

Hi BlackOsx,

could you pls tell me how do you create the DSDT included in your files ?

Starting from the BIOS file of our DS3L, what are the steps ?

From the previous guide you used the Koalas utility. Now ?

Could i use the DSDT you supplied for these board : EP45-DS3L , EP45-UD3L and EP43-DS3L ?

Many thanks & Rgds

PS: i am reading various 3d but i am a little confused about any things such HDEF.

Hi landmark

I don't know, but I doubt it's the bootloader causing the problem but you can easily rule that out by going back to maybe RC4 for a test?. I know 10.6.3/4 changed things with audio and video with certain hardware.. Maybe something's changed with regard to the chipset on your NIC?

could you pls tell me how do you create the DSDT included in your files ?

Starting from the BIOS file of our DS3L, what are the steps ?

Hi giuseppe001

I haven't done this for a while now, but the way I did it was using Zhell's instructions to boot from a Ubuntu Linux live CD and using acpidump to extract all the ACPI tables. You can then dump them on to a USB stick, upload them or email them to yourself for further examination.

You can also dump your ACPI tables from OS X, but note: if you are using a patched DSDT to boot your system then the dump will give you the patched DSDT and not the original one that gets loaded from BIOS.

To convert tables between .aml (assembled) and .dsl (dis-assembled) you will need a tool and the easiest one is iASLMe which you can get from mitch_de's thread.

Then for specfic information about DSDT etc.. I recommend you read, read and read more. There are plenty of threads on InsanelyMac and other forums about it. :mellow:

Hi BlackOSX,

many thanks for your attention and reply.

Sure i have to read more....only one thing: the last DSDT with fixes and HDEF does not belong from your first guide of DSDT (patcher of Koala's). Right ?

Have you manually adjust the code (HDEF for example ) after the dumping from LINUX ?

Tks & Rgds

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe

The original DSDT extracted from the BIOS contains a lot of information that other operating systems use, like Windows but OS X doesn't use a lot of it. So comparing the DSDT from this thread to your extracted one from BIOS will show you a big difference in content.

The DSDT I use for this board and the one that's posted in this thread is taken from the hard work of mm67 who uses the GA-EP45-UD3 and streamlined his DSDT to suit his needs with OS X. I then tweaked it to match this GA-EP45-DS3L and Thiagomorales added the revised HDEF code from THe KiNG.

In OS X I use TextEdit to open and edit my DSDT.dsl files, though you can use other text editiors such as the excellent TextWrangler. There are also apps like DSDTSE which I have not used and only loaded up briefly, or maybe you could try the new DSDT editor and patcher by El Coniglio in oldnapalm's thread.

You can get more information from here.

Hi BlackOSX,

thank you for your explanation.

So you have "deleted" from DSDT, estracted from Linux on your board, the information that OSX doesn't use ( according to the database of real MAC in this 3d http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&x...6qpid%3D1524420 ) . Am i right ?

So dumping with Linux the DSDT of my EP45-DS3L, I have to clean and fix the DSDT to suit the REAL MAC.

Tell me, please, if i am in a correct way.

Many many thanks

Giuseppe

The unnecessary code in the original DSDT extracted from the Gigabyte BIOS was stripped out by mm67, not me. I don't know exactly what reference he used to know what to strip out but I would guess he referenced the ACPI spec PDF, the ICH10 datasheet, other threads on DSDT, trial and error and plenty of testing.

Making a DSDT for yourself is all down to personal preference to what you want. I chose to follow mm67's route as a slimmed down DSDT specifically for OS X made sense to me. His .dsl was formatted in a compact and clean way making it easier to read and see the device tree layout plus it already included numerous changes that have been discussed in the Gigabyte DSDT fix thread for example, the USB fixes, mm67's fix for shutdown and MasterChief's fix for the 'Wake up automatically after power failure' requirement.

But if you're trying to create a DSDT for the EP45-DS3L then why now just use the one posted here?

For reference only, you can always have a look at the patched DSDT's for other boards too. Cartri spent a lot of time comparing DSDT files from a range of Gigabyte BIOS's and you can see in his comparison table all the boards that share the same original Gigabyte DSDT. So as you can see from that table the EP45-DS3L is in group 1, which means you should be able to use the DSDT from here with any of the other motherboards also in group 1 without making any changes.

Could you pls give me the link of 3d's you have followed in this or other forum to create the DSDT ? and mm67 therad ?

I am very interested about DSDT.

But if you're trying to create a DSDT for the EP45-DS3L then why now just use the one posted here?

The one in your support files ?

Gigabyte DSDT Fix Thread

P5K Pro thread (Not Gigabyte but full of interesting knowledge)

GA-EP45-DS3L DSDT from mm67's DSDT (The link I gave you earlier)

Yes, the one in the support files.. I have attached the .dsl of the DSDT I am currently using with the latest version of Chameleon utilising it's auto generation of CPU P & C states.

Happy reading :blink:

EP45_DS3L_DSDT_for_latest_chameleon.dsl.zip

Yes, the one in the support files.. I have attached the .dsl of the DSDT I am currently using with the latest version of Chameleon utilising it's auto generation of CPU P & C states.

Happy reading :blink:

Last 2 things:

this DSDT you are using with latest version of Chameleon is not the same in your support file ?

Could you pls supply me the latest version of Chameleon ?

About the Catri table, can we say that the Motherboard in group 1 can use the same your last DSDT attached above ?

Tks

Giuseppe

I am away from my hack at the moment so I am posting these files from my memory of what is in them, but the DSDT.aml in my support files should be the most up to date file for this board (I just can't de-compile it right now to double check), though the one I've just uploaded is the one I am currently using (which is probably the same).

I have supplied a recent version of Chameleon at the bottom of this post with the files for manually installing as shown in the PDF guides. However, this morning, iFabio posted a package installer from the very latest r300 build of RC5. Though I don't know which version of boot0 it installs so if you're currently dual booting then be careful. You could install it to a USB stick just to be safe.

And yes, the motherboards in Group 1 of Cartri's list should all be able to use the same DSDT as posted here.

About the Catri table, can we say that the Motherboard in group 1 can use the same your last DSDT attached above ?

Giuseppe

Catri table - I didn't see anything like that, but of course I could have miss that.

Maybe and not sure if you mean Cartri Bios, but using his modified Bios, you dont need the DSDT.aml file anymore.

Catri table - I didn't see anything like that, but of course I could have miss that.

Maybe and not sure if you mean Cartri Bios, but using his modified Bios, you dont need the DSDT.aml file anymore.

Hi Lord,

i know that using the modified BIOS i don't need the DSDT.

What i was saing is that if i have the motherboard in group 1, i can use the original BIOS and the DSDT supplied from BLACKOSX for all them.

Right Blackosx ?

Giuseppe

Ps: i am checking the CATRI bios files (group 1).....making the difference in DOS with the function FC , they are all the same.

So BlackOSX we can assume that your DSDT will work for those board. Right ?