-Archive- Macefix86 2006 -Archive-

bofors

443 posts in this topic

Yes, HUGE, and i mean HUGE progress has been made, we have cleared up the suspiscion of whether or not Intel boards have EFI BIOS CSM or are just BIOS Boards. We have been able to extract some modules from the *.BIO files thanks to Chris.

Sbeehre has learned of a possible way to be able to boot up into the shell, (effectively bypassing the CSM), this is our main focus of work now.

Now we need more coders to help us.

So if any of you know how to code competently in C++ (not just "Hello World" type stuff) can you please contact any of the Dev's (Bofors, Me, Sbheere....) we need all the help we can get, if we are to advance quickly, and be able to try loading OS X.

Kiko

Probably a stupid question but ... .

As far as I know, Windows XP does not yest support efi. If so, how does Apple's Boot Camp get around efi in the boot process to let an Apple intel Mac run XP with mimimal problems.

Would there be clues to solving the efi conundrum by looking inside Boot Camp?

ok this solution looks like its the goods! and we need developers!! developers!! developers!! :D anyway if there are any c++ coders out there that can help with this then PLEASE come aboard and talk to us in the #MacEFIx86.dev irc channel on r-type.ca

I think this can't be work. Before CSM is invoking, it would called a boot services ExitBootService().

Everything is over when this routine was called

Following items, released on Sept 19, 2006, might be of interest:

Firmware Restoration CD 1.1

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/fir...rationcd11.html

Mac Pro SMC Firmware Update

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/mac...wareupdate.html

Mac Pro (mid 2006) EFI Firmware Update 1.0

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/mac...reupdate10.html

Look "Oh and I also tried an Asus X1600 XT silent edition video card. This card doesn't even need any additional power like the 7800 GTX does. Again, OSX can see the card but doesn't know what to do with it."

and

Yes, with the 7300 GT Windows loads just fine and you see everything during the boot process.

"And in fact, I mentiond (either in this thread or some other thread) I took the 7300 GT out and put it in my Pentium D 820 system and it booted up fine. Bios screen showed up, booted into windows just fine. I didn't attempt to install the video card drivers on that system but it did get into Windows just fine"

So nobody got a macpro so he can stick the macpro video card in an OSX86 hackintosh? Taht would determine if the efi is the culript of the non perfect compatibility with the radeons x1600xt or its just a minor hardware diference, if its so, we just need to buy apple card and stick them in our mobos. And we will know a little more about the efi implementation.

another one

"7800gt

Ok, so I installed an eVGA 7800gt into the Intel MAC PRO and connected to the dvi input of Dell 20.1 inch monitor. I get the initial bootup screen (the white screen with apple logo). Then as the system loads, it blanks out, but the monitor still shows it's receiving a signal. I switch to the 7300gt (connected to the vga15) and also have a black screen, but monitor shows it's receiving a signal. I disconnect the 7800gt and reboot the system with the 7300gt and I boot to OSX with no problems (7300gt is connected to slot4).

I look in the hardware info "about this mac", and it shows that a "g70" card is in pci slot1, and the 7300gt is in slot 4. It also shows that the 7300gt is the main display, and connected to a Dell monitor, while the 7800gt is not connected to any main display. At this point I connect the DVI cable, and the 7800gt is working under OSX. I check, again, under Hardware->Graphics/Display, and it now shows the G70 board is connected to the Dell monitor and it's set as the main display.

The problem is if I reboot it doesn't work again. I have to go through the same process to get the 7800gt to work under osx.

This tells me that apple needs to make a driver for the 7800GT since it does display the initial boot up--the white screen with apple logo."

So it looks like the efi works just to "bless" the video card, but as you see he is using a pc card in a macpro, i hope this helps you guyz!

Just my two cents

Quotes from:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php...3663&page=3

Cheers

Interesting point aberracus, so you have a Pentium D 820 right? can you install on it the hack osx and try with your card 7300 GT card?

Of course adding the kexts and frameworks from your mac pro.

Has anyone gotten past loading drivers in boot.efi? Looking over this thread it looks like you can in VMWare, but I can't figure out how (vmx files are a pain in the butt :dev:). Also, how hard would it be to disassemble boot.efi? If you can trace back from the error message you might be able to figure out what causes the message and respond acordingly.

Oh thats true we only have 10.4.4 kernel, what is the status of the newer kernels being craked?

@enb14, no idon have the Pentium D820, i have a Conroe as per my sig, i was just (asi it's written) quoting from what other people have found in other forums.

I wish i could have a MacPro!.... Anyway what my post suggest is that the efi part of the card only is nedeed to start the card. AND the ppl with mac pros are using right now 7800, 7600, and x1900xtx pc versions on their macpros after doing this trick:

" 1. Leave the 7300 GT in?

2. Boot up with the monitor plugged into the 7600?

3. When OS X comes up did you switch the monitor to the 7300?

4. After the the 7300GT display comes up did you switch the monitor back to the 7600?

Also try different DVI ports as for some reason I had to use specific DVI ports.

Also if the 7300 works when the 7600 GT is in the system, see if you can see anything in System Profiler. "

But not every card work, they are trying to build some kind of database of working cards...

This suggest a higher level of compatibility than we think before...

Cheers

I think this can't be work. Before CSM is invoking, it would called a boot services ExitBootService().

Everything is over when this routine was called

If we had that "magic-floppy" it's,from my understanding, a programm, which locates EFI in EEPROM, and prevents it from loading CSM and calling "ExitBootService()". Instead it should point EFI to the EFI-Shell somewhere stored on the floppy, a CD or the hdd.

Anyway, are there any news?!? What is the current status, is there a special time when somebody is on "#MacEFIx86.dev"-channel??

Max

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys... well im just pretty confused with EFI, doesnt any board load up the appleEFIruntime.kext? umm the reason im asking (well actually a pretty noobish question) is that my lappy based on a 915 chipset-- well sometimes loads up this kext and it appears like so in the extensions summary of the the system profiler.. which doesnt appear on my other hackintosh lappy, and it seems like EFI is such a big thing, so im just like wondering if this is normal or not.. :poster_oops: anyway a screenshot of this.. :) (lol or am i just making a big deal out of this?)

picture1cs0.th.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well after no news for almost a month i guess its time to explain why this project has been very un-eventful.

The maiin reasons we can not advance with EFI are

(1) we dont have a complete environement

(2) We are unable to get a complete environment (unless we get some more talented people to help us make the Intel EFI boards boot to efi shell before it loads the CSM)

So basically we can not move on to loading apple's efi modules properly until we can first get a proper EFi environment to work with and this has nothing to do with apple. It is up to Intel and when it will decide to relase a firmware update which allows us to use the EFI on our boards not justy default us to the CSM

We were able to load boot.efi and watch it begin to load the extensions and kernel, but it crashes due to us having a incomplete environment to work on

It is up to Intel and when it will decide to relase a firmware update which allows us to use the EFI on our boards

So we have a chance to upgrade the Bios to EFI? I didn't even expect that. How much space does EFI approximately take in the rom chip? Sorry for being ingnorant on that..

Oh sorry for not explaining it fully, Only Boards made by Intel and those that are 945 and up have EFI so not any BIOS board. But in the near or far future tianocre will release a complete EFI implementation which will allow BIOS users to use EFI (a EFI Emulator)

Thanks for the info :D I'll keep that in mind for my 865PE.