-Archive- Macefix86 2006 -Archive-

bofors

443 posts in this topic

hey superhai, both me and kiko tried out ur efildr and it just sits there and hangs for both our machines.

Any ideas?

Hmm, you have set your hd active? Is it just a black display or is something displayed?

Anyway, here is the efildr file to replace on the efi floppy. This should work.

floppy_efildr.rar

I know that this might not be the best place for this post, but I heard that VMWare for mac will have a virtual EFI environment that can load OS X. I think that if that is true, then vmware has done our job for us. We can extract the virtual EFI included with the VMware and use it natively on our computer somehow.

I know that extracting the virtual EFI from vmware might be impossible but this is just a thought I had. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I know that this might not be the best place for this post, but I heard that VMWare for mac will have a virtual EFI environment that can load OS X. I think that if that is true, then vmware has done our job for us. We can extract the virtual EFI included with the VMware and use it natively on our computer somehow.

I know that extracting the virtual EFI from vmware might be impossible but this is just a thought I had. Please correct me if I am wrong.

You're right, and we'll take a look at it as soon as some kind of beta is available.

Until then, we are currently working on booting tianocore because it is closer to the apple modules than anything else we have.

With the 10.4.7 kernel release yesterday, apple also released some sources for EFI tools. You may want to take a look at those.

thank you, i will look at that now.

I've had a chance to review this release.

I'm impressed with what you guys have done in my absence.

I would like to state that from what I can tell though you are bumping into the same issue we ran into when trying to load Linux on either the sample implementation or TianoCore.

If I had to take a guess (I haven't hooked on a debugger yet) I would most likely assume it's another case of ConSplitter / GraphicsConsole bugging out.

We know from experience that the sample implementation of ConSplitter is incomplete. This doesn't mean it won't work however.

The "Penguin Experiments", as I like to call them, resulted in the kernel loading but locking up instantly afterwards. It was believed this was a limitation of ConSplitter and not the EFI loader itself.

Another theory was that the loader was trying to switch the processor into real mode and loading the kernel required the processor to remain in protected mode.

At the time we were using the ELILO loader and adding "legacy-free" to the conf was a theory on how to overcome this, but it was never tested out real world.

I am going to attempt to load up this environment on the physical machine as I did the initial release to see what differences there are between the QEMU test environment and the real machine, as well as run some test under parallels.

Other tests to come include taking another go at ELILO to load the newly release Darwin source.

Hey everyone,

I'd like to dedicate this thread to Boot.efi.

I stumbled across some info while i was searching the wed for other purposes.

this is the .efi responsible for booting the system and is a "blessed" file, which means this is where the efi environment looks to boot an os from. Boot.efi then goes on to boot Mac OS X. We are not sure if it is prohibiting us from booting mac (probably not: my iMac boots from it just fine. It is probably the modues which have to be loaded, where we have had little progress so far.). However, in heavily modifying boot.efi, or inspecting it very closely, we may be able to find dependencies: <i>why</i> it isn't working on our systems.

For this reason, Boot.efi is essential. It can tell us a lot about which modules we need, and which we don't. What's controlled by the OS and what isn't.

The original boot.efi (attached under that name in archive) did not work. It isw worth trying again in VMWare to see if it behaves similarly to the modded one.

The modded Boot.efi (attached as Boot_mod.efi in archive) works better and apparently gets farther along than the other. In VMWare, after many minutes, there is a screen displaying various codes, most importantly one specifying that there is a disk error going on. More info is required, and more people have to test this for us to truly formulate conclusions.

Today, i found this site which found that Boot.efi is RLE encoded. If someone is capable of decompressing it, we may be able to debug more, or perhaps attach a debugger to the file itself.

You can see how the modded Boot.efi was created here.

This post will be updated to include any progress regarding this file.

Ask questions here, post results here, and discuss possibilities here!

-Urby

Boot.zip

speaking of boot.efi and the other files...

could someone zip up the files located on the hard drive image and send them to me?

I do not have access right now to my system to extract from the image and need to run some tests later with them on the physical machine.

edit strike that request. I've moved my setup to os x version of qemu and have been able to extract.

will report later how the boot.efi test goes on a physical machine.

Hi, everyone.

From what I have seen from extracted EFI module (from RAM), there are still alot of other that did not appear in RAM at the moment we extract them. So I think some of us (include me) should come from the other side. That is take the module from the FW it self. I have take a look at the FW file. A few month ago I guest that is encrypt in what Intel call EFI Firmware Capsule, but now as I seen that the execute header in the firmware, I think that at least some portion is not encrypted/compressed. But I could not figure out how to determine where the EFI execute file end from the header (since there are not special mark to denote the end of EFI file). Any one can help?

And another quick note: from my study about Intel mainboard firmware all 945 and later got EFI, and also the following: 865PCK, 915PDT, 945PLNM. The Intel FW have the same structure as Apple FW so if we can decode one of them, we could take the other. It should help us much.

The uncompressed versions do not load as efi executables.

kiko, when you went native... what was the test machine and did you attempt loading from a fully installed OS X on a HFS+ partition?

using qemu under the alternate video driver (bochs vbe as opposed to cirrus) utilizing a HFS+ disk image with a full install of OS X... boot.efi placed in the /system/library/coreservices folder.

the kernel loads....

gets a disk guid

loads mkext (extensions)

screen goes black as is tries to load.

qemu did not lockup... it just sat there doing nothing at 90% cpu indefinately.