[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

Does anyone have the IR working? Can this be used with the apple remote for frontrow etc? Very curious. I know there is some external hardware that can be used but if we already have the IR port....

BTW-> I also got my firewire working the other day. Got a cheapo dynex card from ebay for 4 dollars and free shipping. It's OS X compatible and seems to be rock solid.

With the PCMCIA going and the mic rocking, I guess IR is the last holdout - unless it's already been done.

Thanks again to leppy700m and all the other contributors - you all rule.

What happens when you remove the CD and boot?

I read on like page 32 or something that some drives have issues with the DVD so i was going to create the image on a USB drive. Before I did it I decided to try it one more time....boot with disk....swap disk in drive.....hit F10 and bam...it says OSX Install......exactly what I did like 8,237 times before (give or take 8,220).

I am up and running. I saw earlier a guy was posting that he went in and did some editing of the DSDT and stuff like that and got sleep working. Am I wasting my time doing what he did or will it work? To be honest I would be fine if shutting the lid did a shut down of the OS

I read on like page 32 or something that some drives have issues with the DVD so i was going to create the image on a USB drive. Before I did it I decided to try it one more time....boot with disk....swap disk in drive.....hit F10 and bam...it says OSX Install......exactly what I did like 8,237 times before (give or take 8,220).

I am up and running. I saw earlier a guy was posting that he went in and did some editing of the DSDT and stuff like that and got sleep working. Am I wasting my time doing what he did or will it work? To be honest I would be fine if shutting the lid did a shut down of the OS

So far, I only have full sleep working on my D620 with Nvidia - with a DSDT patch.

Edit: Interesting - I googled "D630 won't shutdown reboot" - evidently, this is a widespread D630 problem on different linux flavors and even Windows 7. I am beginning to think there is a great big bug in the bios.

A bit unrelated but still relevant to the thread:

Does anyone have an internal Bluetooth adapter working with their build of SL?

I was thinking about picking one up from Ebay (examples here and here) but won't waste my $$$ and time if it isn't going to work.

Thoughts?

LT

Hi. I bought one of those on ebay for my d420. Can't say if it was exactly the same card as it was some time ago but the listing looks very similar. In Sys Prof it's listed as Cambridge Silicon Radio and it works perfectly. I'd say go for it as OSX seems to recognise most generic bluetooth adapters.

grrrrrrr.

I have tried every DSDT shutdown patch I can find - still no no shutdown/restart for the Nvidia D630. It seems that other "kextpacks/packages" have the same issue. I am not giving up - I have just temporarily run out of leads and out of functioning grey matter. I need to veg out and pick this up when I am fresh.

In the meantime, the same patches applied to the D620s enable sleep on the D630, but not shutdown/restart without holding the power button down. It's annoying.

Looks like the D630 shutdown/restart problem is related to enabled accelerated video with the NV135/140 chipset. Those who say they have shutdown/restart working are using setups that don't yield accelerated vid on my machine - and I've tried every one I could google. GraphicsEnabler vid works best, but also introduces the problem, along with any other kext injectors that provide full video acceleration.

With an EFI string, I can disable acceleration, still get full res and get shutdown and reboot. But that's not an okay tradeoff in my book. I have not been able to make an EFI string that enables acceleration. Perhaps that would work.

grrrrrrr.

I have tried every DSDT shutdown patch I can find - still no no shutdown/restart for the Nvidia D630. It seems that other "kextpacks/packages" have the same issue. I am not giving up - I have just temporarily run out of leads and out of functioning grey matter. I need to veg out and pick this up when I am fresh.

In the meantime, the same patches applied to the D620s enable sleep on the D630, but not shutdown/restart without holding the power button down. It's annoying.

Leppy,

Since the D630 shutdown/restart work fine without graphics enabler can you create a EFI string and add it to com.apple if not

is it possible to to get a D20 nVidia graphic and mimic for the D630 so we don't have to use graphics enabler

since shutdown/restart work without graphics enabler.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and i'd like to subscribe to your newsletter...or at least learn what "the same patches applied tot eh D620s" means to get sleep to work on the D630.

If the durn thing can be taught to sleep to enable shutting the lid for a bit or for moving around, I can live with having to mash the power button to get shutdown.

Can you post what is needed on the D630 from D620 land to get sleep?

grrrrrrr.

Leppy,

Since the D630 shutdown/restart work fine without graphics enabler can you create a EFI string and add it to com.apple if not

is it possible to to get a D20 nVidia graphic and mimic for the D630 so we don't have to use graphics enabler

since shutdown/restart work without graphics enabler.

I haven't got an EFI string that enables acceleration yet. That's what I am currently working on, but I am not sure that's a solution. I have another DSDT idea, too. I'll have time to test these a little later today.

As far as using D620 graphics - impossible, as the GPU is soldered to the system board and is incompatible anyway.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and i'd like to subscribe to your newsletter...or at least learn what "the same patches applied tot eh D620s" means to get sleep to work on the D630.

If the durn thing can be taught to sleep to enable shutting the lid for a bit or for moving around, I can live with having to mash the power button to get shutdown.

Can you post what is needed on the D630 from D620 land to get sleep?

Well, it's still a work in progress. When I have something I am sure improves things significantly, I'll post it right away for testing. Sleep has worked, but I really haven't given it any acid testing yet.

If you guys are looking for a cheap airport card take a look at this airport

It doesn't work out of the box but if you add the id to the kext and run kext utitlty and reboot it works like airport. guide

Best of all? It's 8.95 shipped. :D

Using this on my d430 and works flawlessly. What's funny is the d430 actually came with the 1395 card but I couldn't get it to work so I ordered this and when it wouldn't work found a guide and now both work. :).

If you guys are looking for a cheap airport card take a look at this airport

It doesn't work out of the box but if you add the id to the kext and run kext utitlty and reboot it works like airport. guide

Best of all? It's 8.95 shipped. :(

Using this on my d430 and works flawlessly. What's funny is the d430 actually came with the 1395 card but I couldn't get it to work so I ordered this and when it wouldn't work found a guide and now both work. :P.

Another option for a couple bucks more is the dell version found here.

I bought this for my 620, popped it in and it worked without any additional kexts. Pretty much plug and play.

Seconded, or I guess thirded. I got a 1490 for $23 including shipping. It pops right in and fits under the brackets (D630), but of course you have to tuck the grey wire away since there's no post for it like there is on the Intel card. No biggie.

On a slightly different note, I have the extended battery in my D630, the kind that sticks out in front, and I'm watching the battery drain by the minute. I was at 72% at 10pm, and it's now 10:08pm and I'm at 67%. I'm no mathmetician but that ain't good.

What kinds of times are others getting?

+1 - I'm a big fan of the 1390/1490/1510s.

On a slightly different note, I have the extended battery in my D630, the kind that sticks out in front, and I'm watching the battery drain by the minute. I was at 72% at 10pm, and it's now 10:08pm and I'm at 67%. I'm no mathmetician but that ain't good.

What kinds of times are others getting?

I usually stay plugged in because my batteries are all old 6-cell numbers and I get less than an hour even in Windows. Without a properly patched DSDT - (both P and C states), it's unlikely we'll get great battery times. That's tricky DSDT patching, and I am still struggling getting basic functionality to work. Speedstep has to work so the CPU can idle when demand is low, which should be the majority of the time.

I usually stay plugged in because my batteries are all old 6-cell numbers and I get less than an hour even in Windows. Without a properly patched DSDT - (both P and C states), it's unlikely we'll get great battery times. That's tricky DSDT patching, and I am still struggling getting basic functionality to work. Speedstep has to work so the CPU can idle when demand is low, which should be the majority of the time.

Well, I get between 3 and 4 hours on an extended battery with my D620. That's typically at half to 3/4 brightness and surfing the net/futzing in Terminal. On the Windows side, that battery is good for about 4-5 hours, so we are seeing a reduction due to inoperative C-States.

Well, I get between 3 and 4 hours on an extended battery with my D620. That's typically at half to 3/4 brightness and surfing the net/futzing in Terminal. On the Windows side, that battery is good for about 4-5 hours, so we are seeing a reduction due to inoperative C-States.
That's better than I would have guessed, and not all that horrible. I really ought to buy a battery.

So I guess I can ignore the "WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized" message?

Yes, unless you want to work to get them corrected.

Check out the SpeedStepping thread written by FormerlyKnownAs...gives a bunch of info on it.

I just ordered a SSD drive for this thing. Since sleep doesn't work I figured I would increase the boot up speeds.

I will get some times and video of the speed increase. I hope to have it by Wednesday

Here are my current times

Three shutdowns no apps loaded

Three boots

1:04.3

I am expecting to see about 30 seconds on my boot times....that should make no sleep acceptable.

That's pretty much exactly the same as what I get on extended, on standard, cut that time in half. I still get the best battery life on XP (wince). I keep a small 10GB XP partition for "times when you really have to make it last." Use macdrive to access the OSX user data. Since this usually means working outdoors in the sticks I need the screen on full and a cellular modem running, gives me a bit over 4hrs, with a media bay battery I can usually make it last to about 6.5 or so. In OSX, cut the times by about 1/3. I trully recommend media bay battery + extended, it makes these laptops quite good portable workstations. And there's plenty going around cheaply on ebay.

Leppy,

If I could ask - how much work have you done in customizing your DSDT and what have been the source threads of what you have done?

I've been poking around at all the different threads for customizing DSDTs for other MBs/Computers, and it seems like there are a lot of commonalities that could be applied here. However, my suspicion is that you have done all of the "standard" patches.

I'd love to help test out, but don't want to reinvent the wheel.

LT

Leppy,

If I could ask - how much work have you done in customizing your DSDT and what have been the source threads of what you have done?

I've been poking around at all the different threads for customizing DSDTs for other MBs/Computers, and it seems like there are a lot of commonalities that could be applied here. However, my suspicion is that you have done all of the "standard" patches.

I'd love to help test out, but don't want to reinvent the wheel.

LT

Yes, I've poured over every relevant thread I found, and there is actually powerfully little unique information out there. I've tried lots of patches with different boot loaders and kernel flags. Basically, I haven't found anything very earthquaking other than what SA22C posted earlier. I still regard him as our resident DSDT expert on these machines, as he was first here and I think has the best understanding of the process. I've tried lots of other things for the D630 with very marginal results. One thing additional that I did do was for GMA950, and I ripped out vid devices other than LCD to enable using stock kexts without black screen or artifacts. It's a sledgehammer approach to the problem, and creates other problems when trying to dock or use additional displays, but it sort of works and provides at least display sleep but not full sleep.

I'll be updating page one with some experimental stuff later today or tomorrow.

In order to improve on the info that we have, I am afraid we're going to have to download a 700 page manual and make our own solutions. From what I can tell, SA22C did a pretty damn good job of summarizing the available stuff that applies and actually works best for our machines.

Yes, I've poured over every relevant thread I found, and there is actually powerfully little unique information out there. I've tried lots of patches with different boot loaders and kernel flags. Basically, I haven't found anything very earthquaking other than what SA22C posted earlier. I still regard him as our resident DSDT expert on these machines, as he was first here and I think has the best understanding of the process. I've tried lots of other things for the D630 with very marginal results. One thing additional that I did do was for GMA950, and I ripped out vid devices other than LCD to enable using stock kexts without black screen or artifacts. It's a sledgehammer approach to the problem, and creates other problems when trying to dock or use additional displays, but it sort of works and provides at least display sleep but not full sleep.

I'll be updating page one with some experimental stuff later today or tomorrow.

In order to improve on the info that we have, I am afraid we're going to have to download a 700 page manual and make our own solutions. From what I can tell, SA22C did a pretty damn good job of summarizing the available stuff that applies and actually works best for our machines.

I'm no expert, but I'm glad that I was able to help out by collating the relevant info so that it was more easily accessible. You're right on that the only way forward from here is actually studying the ACPI specification and doing some honest-to-god coding. It's a tough slog, but there you are.

For my own part, I'm not likely to be pursuing this DSDT stuff much further on the D620 because as of yesterday, my primary computer is a MacBook Pro. I'll still be running OS X on my desktop computer, but it's been nailed down in terms of DSDT patches since the override became available last year.

I'll probably still follow this thread out of interest's sake. Best of luck to all of you and thanks to leppy for all the hard work! :)

This is running great on my D620. My friend as a similar model, the only difference is I have 2 gigs of ram and he has 1. I get an error "Memory Allocation Error (Ox4382c50, 0x0) when I try to swap out the boot cd for his Snow Leopard Retail DVD. I've tried external DVD drives and get the same error.

Any ideas?

I've tried several different settings in the BIOS, but it doesn't seem to help. FYI, we are running the same BIOS A10.