NEW Intel P55 Mobos & Core i7 860 / i5 750 CPU LGA1156

1,554 posts in this topic

Fantastic on sleep working again. Don't know what to tell ya on the Blu-Ray drive though; I assumed it was DVD. I was considering buying one myself. What brand is it? I was thinking of LG. I am interested in hearing back to see if switching to the Intel ports help at all. You might want to try searching the forum for Blu-ray issues (if you haven't already). I recall reading a thread somewhere on Blu-ray issues. Apologies though, as I am unsure which OSX86 site I was on. :(

It's the Pioneer 12x burner, forget the model number right now.

Burns DVDs fine, but haven't tried Blu-ray yet, but supposedly it works well to overburn on a bunch of 4x media.

Anyway, I haven't yet found a solution it, right now I just have to restart to use the DVD drive if it's been on for a while. I've found other threads with people having the same issue, but it seems that it was solved by unclicking the turn hd to sleep option off in power pref.

Now that sleep works, my shut down or restart doesn't! lol. Never should have installed that logitech driver!

Did you enable speedstep by the way? I'm using the DSDT straight from tonymac's website, but not sure if it's worth enabling speedstep as I thought I saw in some posts that it didn't actually decrease power utilization but lead to minor drops in GB scores.

It's the Pioneer 12x burner, forget the model number right now.

Burns DVDs fine, but haven't tried Blu-ray yet, but supposedly it works well to overburn on a bunch of 4x media.

Anyway, I haven't yet found a solution it, right now I just have to restart to use the DVD drive if it's been on for a while. I've found other threads with people having the same issue, but it seems that it was solved by unclicking the turn hd to sleep option off in power pref.

Now that sleep works, my shut down or restart doesn't! lol. Never should have installed that logitech driver!

Did you enable speedstep by the way? I'm using the DSDT straight from tonymac's website, but not sure if it's worth enabling speedstep as I thought I saw in some posts that it didn't actually decrease power utilization but lead to minor drops in GB scores.

SS and Turbo are enabled by choosing iMac11,1 as MacModel (as MacPro 4,1 they were not available without a fix I used + stated way back in this thread) and adding the HPET fix in my DSDT. I did not need to inject any values into my DSDT. Yes, I did try. I saw absolutely no change in performance so I left it out. Check in IORegistry Explorer under ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin and see if your CPUPLimit is 0x0, as well see if AppleLPC.kext and AppleHPET.kext loaded in system profiler under Extensions. If yes, SS and Turbo are working fine.

FYI, and others who use an UD3R, here is what I use;

In Extra:

-(UD3R)DSDT.aml (d/l from Tony's blog)

-EvOreboot.kext

-fakesmc.kext (version 2.5)

-JMicronATA.kext

-PlatformUUID.kext (I have stated before that I don't need this, but I added it back in anyway because it does seem to help out with stable WoW playing, not for Time Machine or iTunes problems which I never experienced...odd eh?)

In System Extensions:

-RealtekR1000SL.kext (for ethernet)

-AppleHDA.kext (my mod'd one for line I/O, Mic, and S/PDIF I/O found at Kexts)

Chameleon3 RC3 with the mod'd boot file from Tony's blog; would like to use RC4 but it kills my sleep....boo-erns to the Chameleon Team for adding {censored} sleep fix to what was a great boot-loader.

I use the Intel SATA headers, and have the USB plugged into the bottom 4 USB ports on the back panel. I also use the bootflag GraphicsEnabler=y. That's it. Been 3 weeks since shutdown and sleep is 100% stable. No hiccups, no snags, and NO KP! All in 64-bit mode. I am including today's random running of Geekbench64 score. :)

P.S. Have you tried logging out and back in vs restarting your system?

P.P.S. just read this on xlr8yourmac

" Update on Workaround Script for Pioneer BDR-205 drive sleep issue - Yesterday I had another 2009 Mac Pro/Pioneer BDR-205 user with the 'disappearing drive' (sleep) issue (that wasn't fixed by disabling drive sleep) write he tried the workaround (tickler) applescript that Lain had posted here earlier this month, but noted problems with the script quitting when having to shut down. "

12_30_09_GB64.tiff

SS and Turbo are enabled by choosing iMac11,1 as MacModel (as MacPro 4,1 they were not available without a fix I used + stated way back in this thread) and adding the HPET fix in my DSDT. I did not need to inject any values into my DSDT. Yes, I did try. I saw absolutely no change in performance so I left it out. Check in IORegistry Explorer under ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin and see if your CPUPLimit is 0x0, as well see if AppleLPC.kext and AppleHPET.kext loaded in system profiler under Extensions. If yes, SS and Turbo are working fine.

FYI, and others who use an UD3R, here is what I use;

In Extra:

-(UD3R)DSDT.aml (d/l from Tony's blog)

-EvOreboot.kext

-fakesmc.kext (version 2.5)

-JMicronATA.kext

-PlatformUUID.kext (I have stated before that I don't need this, but I added it back in anyway because it does seem to help out with stable WoW playing, not for Time Machine or iTunes problems which I never experienced...odd eh?)

In System Extensions:

-RealtekR1000SL.kext (for ethernet)

-AppleHDA.kext (my mod'd one for line I/O, Mic, and S/PDIF I/O found at Kexts)

Chameleon3 RC3 with the mod'd boot file from Tony's blog; would like to use RC4 but it kills my sleep....boo-erns to the Chameleon Team for adding {censored} sleep fix to what was a great boot-loader.

I use the Intel SATA headers, and have the USB plugged into the bottom 4 USB ports on the back panel. I also use the bootflag GraphicsEnabler=y. That's it. Been 3 weeks since shutdown and sleep is 100% stable. No hiccups, no snags, and NO KP! All in 64-bit mode. I am including today's random running of Geekbench64 score. :rolleyes:

P.S. Have you tried logging out and back in vs restarting your system?

P.P.S. just read this on xlr8yourmac

" Update on Workaround Script for Pioneer BDR-205 drive sleep issue - Yesterday I had another 2009 Mac Pro/Pioneer BDR-205 user with the 'disappearing drive' (sleep) issue (that wasn't fixed by disabling drive sleep) write he tried the workaround (tickler) applescript that Lain had posted here earlier this month, but noted problems with the script quitting when having to shut down. "

Thanks for all the info. Looks like the Bluray drive problem may be related to my specific model then. I'll try out that script and see how it works.

I have pretty much the exact same setup as you, but sleep works fine for me (now) using RC4. I also don't have the PlatformUUID because I added that information into my boot.plist and seems to work well for me. It seems that there are so many variables in getting sleep to work that once you have it working so well, probably shouldn't change anything!

I also switched to iMac11,1 and now seem to have speedstep and turbo enabled (which wasn't using the MacPro4,1). However, still don't really see any performance or temp difference (if anything, it almost seems my temps are higher now). GB scores of about 8800 still with the i5 overclocked to 3.36 running 1600 ram.

So, I have everything working on my GD65 i7 860 machine but sound. Deep sleep, firewire (after wake from sleep only), esata, QE/CI, ethernet, etc. When it comes to sound I have tried everything I have found, PM_mickeys DSDT and legacyHDA combo, Tonymacx86's DSDT from his blog, multiple different legacy HDA options that were suggested. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have HD audio enabled int the bios. Is it possible that there is something really simple I'm missing?

Also - When I look in system profiler everything is right. It recognizes that it is a alc889 and gives the proper in and outs, however, system preferences registers no sound output. Any help is appreciated. It's getting 10,550 on 32 bit geekbench at a 3.5ghz overclock. I love it, just need sound.

So, I have everything working on my GD65 i7 860 machine but sound. Deep sleep, firewire (after wake from sleep only), esata, QE/CI, ethernet, etc. When it comes to sound I have tried everything I have found, PM_mickeys DSDT and legacyHDA combo, Tonymacx86's DSDT from his blog, multiple different legacy HDA options that were suggested. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have HD audio enabled int the bios. Is it possible that there is something really simple I'm missing?

Also - When I look in system profiler everything is right. It recognizes that it is a alc889 and gives the proper in and outs, however, system preferences registers no sound output. Any help is appreciated. It's getting 10,550 on 32 bit geekbench at a 3.5ghz overclock. I love it, just need sound.

My DSDT.aml and contents of EFI partition is for updated 10.6 to 10.6.2 and motherboard is the same. You must recreate Extensions.mkext on /Volumes/EFI/Extra or /Extra if you dont use EFI partition. Speakers connected to rear green output.

I'm so confused. I trashed all of my Extra folder and used your dsdt and fadt. Rebuild extensions.mkext, rebooted and everything seemed great, but audio still wasn't there. Is there anything at the bios level besides enabling audio? Also - strangely when I changed everything my geekbench went from 10,550 to 7230.

I'm so confused. I trashed all of my Extra folder and used your dsdt and fadt. Rebuild extensions.mkext, rebooted and everything seemed great, but audio still wasn't there. Is there anything at the bios level besides enabling audio? Also - strangely when I changed everything my geekbench went from 10,550 to 7230.

Attached to this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1368907 all you need. extract Extra folder from /EFI/ to /.

Connect speakers to green rear connector.

After installation of 10A432 retail MacOSX 10.6 DVD there is no audio. Install 10.6.2 Combo Update downloaded from Apple.

Also latest bios version for MSI P55-GD65 is 1.5.

My results is arount 9900 64 bit geekbench 1.4 without any overclocking.

Finally figured it out!

Thanks pm_mickey. It seems I was using a roll back AppleHDA kext that tonymacx86 suggested on his blog (for use with ga-p55m-ud2). Once I updated to the 10.6.2 AppleHDA kext, all is well.

Thanks so much to everyone for the help. This computer doubles the geekbench of my first gen Mac Pro and cost $1350!

Hello everyone,

With the intention to buy a new config, I want know what is the best motherboard to support OS X ?

I saw that Gigabit was preferred but what is the best model between UD2, UD3, UD4 or UD5 for OS X ?

Hello everyone,

With the intention to buy a new config, I want know what is the best motherboard to support OS X ?

I saw that Gigabit was preferred but what is the best model between UD2, UD3, UD4 or UD5 for OS X ?

It's up to you- check out the specs of each one. All of them work with the Snow Leopard install. I have the GA-P55M-UD2, and it works 100%, but I can't say for certain it's the best, just the smallest and cheapest one. :)

Hello everyone,

Yeah what Tony said and...

The only good reason to purchase the UD4, UD5, or UD6, would be if you're planning to SLI/Xfire in a Windows environment.

I'd check out ports you might need, the PCIE/PCI layout you need to have for all your components, and buy whatever's cheapest from that group of boards.

In 'About this Mac' my CPU is shown as 'unknown'. Other p55/i7 owners out there have the same? Or is there a workaround for this, like CPUInject?

EDIT: To answer my own question, setting SMcputype to 1281 in SMBios shows the CPU as Quad-Core Intel Xeon. (thanks Tony!)

im using the value 1537 and it shows as "Intel® Core™ i5 .750".

does anyone know how to change it to just "Intel Core i5" like on the new iMacs? or is it tied to the new Chameleon RC4 or just using whats displayed in the BIOS? (or in my avatar :))

Hello everyone,

I have the P55-UD4 and still got some problems:

1) sleep isn't working right now: it goes into sleep within 1 sec but when it wakes up the PC is restarted

2) sound seems not to be so easy. I got it working with voodooHDA once, but after removing IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext I got kernal panic with voodooHDA

The UD4 has ALC888 Audio codec (without "B") where the UD2 has ALC888b which seems to have better support (at least most people here got it working)

Greetings

macdanger

Thank you for your reply.

I think make a config with a crossfire, so I would rather a motherboard with a port pci x16 and x8 but i don't need other PCIE/PCI ports. For audio, if the AL888 isn't work, does the Realtek ALC889A is compatible ? In this case there would be the DU5. Or Is there another marque as Asus that would offer full compatibility?

Macdanger,

I'm in the same situation as you with sleep.

I've used Tonymacx86's guide for my UD4 and Tony's DTST for my board but I've had to resort to VoodooHDA to get sound working - but its not 100% by any means.

I have also removed IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. I'm using the updated VoodooHDA by Prasys and no KP

Erwego

im using the value 1537 and it shows as "Intel� Core™ i5 .750".

does anyone know how to change it to just "Intel Core i5" like on the new iMacs? or is it tied to the new Chameleon RC4 or just using whats displayed in the BIOS? (or in my avatar :( )

hmm strange... when i using value 1281 it shows Quad-Core Intel Xeon, when change to 1537 it shows unknown... why? maybe because ma core i5 is overclocked?

Hello all,

I need help, pleaseeee.

I can not compile my dsdt.dsl for fix sleep, I have applied two fixes for usb, but it has not success, not compiled, it has one Error that I don't know how to solve.

Can anyone look in my dsdt for this fix? pleaseeeee...

Thanks

P55 UD6 Gigabyte

i7 860

4G CORSAIR

9500GT

SNOW 10.6.2 Dsdt_USB_FIX.zip