NEW Intel P55 Mobos & Core i7 860 / i5 750 CPU LGA1156

1,554 posts in this topic

Hi! Tonymac!!! please help. It's benn 48 hours since I started an install.

I have Gigabyte P55A-UD4 and core i5 661. tried on bios f3 and then updated to f6

I tried almost every method I founded on web. all that I do stops in a single place: at darwin load the system restarts.

method 1 - bios settings acording to a lot of posts, fresh install at every bios change

your method with the boot cd(i tried all betas): I can boot the cd, I insert the retail snow leopard, F5 and the retail restarts my machine after a few lines. boot with " -x -v" it shows all drivers but at darwin load it restarts the machine

method 2 - bios settings acording to a lot of posts, fresh install at every bios change

I installed on another machine, Chameleon's 2 RC4, updated system to 10.6.2 than changed the dsdt with the one in p55 database for my mainboard. Moved the HDD to p55a-ud4 and boot... didn't worked. same restart--after a few lines or in safe mode when darwin starts.

Machine: Gigabyte P55A-UD4, Core I5 661, video: GeForce 8600GT, system HDD WDsata2 160GB

Thank you in advance

A! I tried many distros, 10.5.6, 10.5.7, 10.5.8, Hazard Snow Leopard, all of them restart. All sata to AHCI, Power state S3 and all the settings .

Thnx

Hi! Tonymac!!! please help. It's benn 48 hours since I started an install.

I have Gigabyte P55A-UD4 and core i5 661. tried on bios f3 and then updated to f6

I tried almost every method I founded on web. all that I do stops in a single place: at darwin load the system restarts.

Machine: Gigabyte P55A-UD4, Core I5 661, video: GeForce 8600GT, system HDD WDsata2 160GB

Thank you in advance

A! I tried many distros, 10.5.6, 10.5.7, 10.5.8, Hazard Snow Leopard, all of them restart. All sata to AHCI, Power state S3 and all the settings .

Thnx

It is very possible that you will need an alternate kernel with the CPU check disabled since you are using the brand new Clarksfield-based dual core Core i5 and not the Lynnfield i5/i7s & P55 all of these install methods are for. 48 hours you say? damn, the processor was only officially released on wednesday or thursday, lol

In addition, I saw a thread of people with P55A boards & install issues around here somewhere, you may need to do something different/specific for your board that doesn't need to be done on the P55/P55M

check http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=203837 perhaps?

You might want to make a new thread about the Clarksfields, or post in one of the other "new intel CPUs" threads if its not an easily resolvable issue related to the P55A

Exactly. I posted my mod to pm_mickey's DSDT with the graphics and firewire sections removed a few pages back. That should work with the other files he posted.

Hi - As stated before I am grateful to pm_mickey and yourself. I had the same issue with firewire as you describe.

The only issue I have is wake up from sleep, it is always a reboot. Even auto sleep works, but wake up is a reboot. I have tried many options in bios but always no change. My real macs take about 20 seconds to sleep - the hack about 5 seconds.

I have no overclocking - ram is set correctly voltage etc - but no go.

Would be pleased to know of any other MSI users who are experiencing this with OSX 10.6.2.http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

Hey you all, sorry to bother you again. I've finally got my system running with everything working except sound..I really can't wrap my head around how the sound is working in os x - there's the HDAEnabler, AppleHDA, LegacyHDA and what not. Is there a foolproof way of getting sound out of the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3? As of current I'm just dropping random audio kexts from kexts.com in kext helper and rebooting. Any help is greatly appreciated, I've never felt more like a retard. :D

I should probably add to this that I don't even get an out unit in system prefs. Is there something that needs to be done before messing with the kexts to get an out unit?

Hi,

I've tried installing SL on my rig, but to no avail. I can't even get to the installation using tony bootcd method. It goes all the way till it's supposed to show the language select screen but one of two things happen:

- With default and beta 1 cd, it just turns the display off and nothing happens.

- With the beta 3 cd it shows a black screen (different from turning the display off)

If I use -x, it reboots on the default and beta 1 cd's and KP on the beta 3.

I have a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6, a nVidia GTX 260 and an intel core i5 750.

I have a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6

Did you make sure your Sata controller is set to AHCI in bios ?

I have a ud6 also (but with core i7 860 and nVidia 9800GT)

and did not get any trouble at all at this point of the install.

(Now struggling to get the sound, firwire and frontpannel eSata working, though...)

Hi,

I've tried installing SL on my rig, but to no avail. I can't even get to the installation using tony bootcd method. It goes all the way till it's supposed to show the language select screen but one of two things happen:

- With default and beta 1 cd, it just turns the display off and nothing happens.

- With the beta 3 cd it shows a black screen (different from turning the display off)

If I use -x, it reboots on the default and beta 1 cd's and KP on the beta 3.

I have a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6, a nVidia GTX 260 and an intel core i5 750.

The black screen from beta3 I think is the one you want, start the installer again and perform this from the terminal in the installation program:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f19/guide-gefor...-leopard-t4057/

That will rid you of the black screen.

Hey Everyone,

First of all have to say thanks to tonymac for all the help....got my system up and running in a matter of hours....easiest osx86 install I've ever done....kind of takes the fun out of it ;)

Anywho I've got audio working on my p55m-ud2 with optical but its only seen as two channel.

Anybody getting full 5.1 or have ANY idea about how to go fixing this....I'm really dying for my mac to output full 5.1.....all help or directions in the right path are appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey you all, sorry to bother you again. I've finally got my system running with everything working except sound..I really can't wrap my head around how the sound is working in os x - there's the HDAEnabler, AppleHDA, LegacyHDA and what not. Is there a foolproof way of getting sound out of the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3? As of current I'm just dropping random audio kexts from kexts.com in kext helper and rebooting. Any help is greatly appreciated, I've never felt more like a retard. ;)

On my UD3R, same sound chipset as UD3 (?), I used Bansaku's kexts:

ALC888 HD Audio

In fact I now only use AppleHDA.kext for sound. Removing HDAEnabler.kext doesn't seem to have affected anything.

On my UD3R, same sound chipset as UD3 (?), I used Bansaku's kexts:

ALC888 HD Audio

In fact I now only use AppleHDA.kext for sound. Removing HDAEnabler.kext doesn't seem to have affected anything.

Do you have the standard AppleHDA.kext installed? Or the one from the link above? And just drop them in kext-helper? That's it?

Do you have the standard AppleHDA.kext installed? Or the one from the link above? And just drop them in kext-helper? That's it?

The one from the link. Drag it onto Kext Helper and click on Easy Install, then drag /System/Library/Extensions folder onto Kext Utility. Finally repair permissions on Snow Leopard drive.

Hey you all, sorry to bother you again. I've finally got my system running with everything working except sound..I really can't wrap my head around how the sound is working in os x - there's the HDAEnabler, AppleHDA, LegacyHDA and what not. Is there a foolproof way of getting sound out of the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3? As of current I'm just dropping random audio kexts from kexts.com in kext helper and rebooting. Any help is greatly appreciated, I've never felt more like a retard. :P

Remove LegacyHDA_ALC888B.kext from Extra/Extensions folder, it worked for me, GB P55 UD3, be sure to use DSDT.aml for your board. I also replaced the AppleHDA.kext and LegacyHDA.kext, but maybe it would work w/o this step.

Hey Everyone,

First of all have to say thanks to tonymac for all the help....got my system up and running in a matter of hours....easiest osx86 install I've ever done....kind of takes the fun out of it :)

Anywho I've got audio working on my p55m-ud2 with optical but its only seen as two channel.

Anybody getting full 5.1 or have ANY idea about how to go fixing this....I'm really dying for my mac to output full 5.1.....all help or directions in the right path are appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi I believe that you will have a problem as the analogue signal on a Mac is two channels only, you would have to use an external DAC unit connected to the digital output. I have a real MacPro, a MacBookPro and a Mini. The only way I can experience DTS/Dolby is by an external box, hence the audio optical out port on the Pro.

I bought this one - seems to work fine so far. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814187037

Here's a link to mine- fanless and fully working with GraphicsEnabler=yes, EFI Strings, NVEnabler, or DSDT edits.

SPARKLE SFPX94GT1024U2 GeForce 9400 GT 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814187037

Hi I believe that you will have a problem as the analogue signal on a Mac is two channels only, you would have to use an external DAC unit connected to the digital output. I have a real MacPro, a MacBookPro and a Mini. The only way I can experience DTS/Dolby is by an external box, hence the audio optical out port on the Pro.

Thanks for the info!

After the crucial clue to looking online with regard to the fact that real macs have the same issue it is possible to get full 5.1, just requires a little elbow grease

http://www.cod3r.com/2008/02/the-correct-w...with-quicktime/

HOLY {censored}!!!! 5.1 DTS AND Dolby Digital PASSTHROUGH WORKING

With perian installed I can play the files in Quicktime/Plex all with DTS passthrough to the my receiver (strangely enough vlc of all programs is having trouble with the dts passthrough)....amazing!

The UD2/Tonymac combination cannot be beat!

Hi folks,

I have an MSI p55m-gd45 board and i7 860. Using pm_mickey's dsdt, everything works for me except firewire. I have followed people's suggestions of removing the FRWR device, but I still do not get firewire working. I have concluded that there must be some core differences between the mATX board and the ATX boards with regards to the firewire. If I use the dsdt that I obtained with acpidump in Ubuntu, firewire works, but then audio does not, even though I add HDEF, MCDP and put LegacyHDA kext in Extra. I do get audio, but it sounds very garbled/distorted. I have been trying to either a- get audio working with my original dsdt, or b- get firewire working with pm_mickey's dsdt, but to no avail.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with this?

It seems that the best approach would be to add firewire to pm_mickey's dsdt since it is so much more compact and optimized for OS X. But how to do this?

I am attaching a zip that contains my original dsdt (with only a few modifications- mm67's shutdown fix, CPUn aliases deleted, and Device (HDEF) added, but commented out for now), IOReg output, and lspci output.

Thanks in advance,

~Aargh

Aargh_s_files.zip

Here's a link to mine- fanless and fully working with GraphicsEnabler=yes, EFI Strings, NVEnabler, or DSDT edits.

SPARKLE SFPX94GT1024U2 GeForce 9400 GT 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814187037

And from the ATI camp, there's a few HD 4670 fanless offerings. I have the Sapphire HD4670 512MB PCI E Ultimate Graphics Card.

Hi folks,

I have an MSI p55m-gd45 board and i7 860. Using pm_mickey's dsdt, everything works for me except firewire. I have followed people's suggestions of removing the FRWR device, but I still do not get firewire working. I have concluded that there must be some core differences between the mATX board and the ATX boards with regards to the firewire. If I use the dsdt that I obtained with acpidump in Ubuntu, firewire works, but then audio does not, even though I add HDEF, MCDP and put LegacyHDA kext in Extra. I do get audio, but it sounds very garbled/distorted. I have been trying to either a- get audio working with my original dsdt, or b- get firewire working with pm_mickey's dsdt, but to no avail.

It seems that the best approach would be to add firewire to pm_mickey's dsdt since it is so much more compact and optimized for OS X. But how to do this?

I am attaching a zip that contains my original dsdt (with only a few modifications- mm67's shutdown fix, CPUn aliases deleted, and Device (HDEF) added, but commented out for now), IOReg output, and lspci output.

Thanks in advance,

~Aargh

Aargh_s_files.zip

Aargh - if you refer to pm_mickeys original posts he advises re firewire.

"For firewire there is a problem if data from iMac11,1 is entered because BIOS did not init firewire and OSX asumes that EFI is inited firewire."

Try his original but change the smbios to MacPro3,1

<string>MP31.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091544</string>

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro3,1</string>

<key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

Hi folks,

Thanks in advance,

~Aargh

Aargh_s_files.zip

"For firewire there is a problem if data from iMac11,1 is entered because BIOS did not init firewire and OSX asumes that EFI is inited firewire."

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>1.0</string>

Help Please.

Hi Anybody with a MSI GD65/80 board I would be grateful if you would try my dsdt which is a mixture of Tonymac/pm_mickey and some adjustments but works very well except for wake up which is a reboot. This might be our Geil memory not sure. But everything just works very well and boots very quickly with no errors. Power issues are fixed although there are no PTS or WAK entries and I have not determined which keywords in MSI correspond to gigabyte.

E/E kexts are fakesmc and legacyHDA only with RealR100SL.kext located in System/library/Extensions.

System runs better as MacPro3,1 rather than imac pending OSX 10.6.3

Feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nb almost got rid of LegacyHDA, just too many errors without it at present.

Extra.zip

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>1.0</string>

Thanks again for your feedback, Tony.

Of course, I did try MacPro3,1 and MacPro4,1 with no luck. Still no firewire. And before anyone brings it up, YES, firewire is turned on in BIOS. If I switch DSDT's, I have working firewire... but then lose audio.

Thanks again for your feedback, Tony.

Of course, I did try MacPro3,1 and MacPro4,1 with no luck. Still no firewire. And before anyone brings it up, YES, firewire is turned on in BIOS. If I switch DSDT's, I have working firewire... but then lose audio.

I am curious. The DSDT you have that does not allow for firewire... personally, I do not use firewire so I do not care if it works or not.

So other than no firewire, does all else function correctly? Sleep & wake, reboot, sound?

If so, could you post that DSDT here for us?

And would your DSDT require a i7 CPU, or can it be used with i5? Also, does the turbo overclocking mode work?

I am curious. The DSDT you have that does not allow for firewire... personally, I do not use firewire so I do not care if it works or not.

So other than no firewire, does all else function correctly? Sleep & wake, reboot, sound?

If so, could you post that DSDT here for us?

And would your DSDT require a i7 CPU, or can it be used with i5? Also, does the turbo overclocking mode work?

The dsdt that I'm trying to get firewire working in is essentially just the pm_mickey dsdt that is posted earlier in this thread. Just search through a few pages back and you will find it. As far as I can tell, everything works other than the firewire.

I guess to use it with an i5, you could just remove the extra 4 cpu entries...