NEW Intel P55 Mobos & Core i7 860 / i5 750 CPU LGA1156

1,554 posts in this topic

it seems like it should but no change

did you check that the kext is properly installed and loads ?

You can type:

kextstat -kl | awk '{print $6}' | sort

and look at the end of the list if your kext is loaded...

Did you backup your disk on another disk of a different brand just to see if it could come from the disk ?

(You can use the restore option from the disk utility in /Applications/Utilities.)

You might end by making a usb chameleon bootloader if all we try is unsuccessful ... but at least you'd have a working booting solution while waiting for a better patch.

You can type:

Did you backup your disk on another disk of a different brand just to see if it could come from the disk ?

(You can use the restore option from the disk utility in /Applications/Utilities.)

You might end by making a usb chameleon bootloader if all we try is unsuccessful ... but at least you'd have a working booting solution while waiting for a better patch.

I just checked and didn't see it and i'm now rebuilding everything to try and load it again

is there a guide for a usb bootloader? I jumped in about the time everyone was using CDs, so I never really looked into it

also, with your bootloader, is there a way to change which partition is marked as default? I tried editing the file here " Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist " to no effect

You can type:

Definitely weird, reloaded the kext (the way Tony described in his install from CD method) (using kext helper and kext utility + disk utility to repair disk permissions)

and it's not showing up with the above command...

also it shows up as zero kb in the E/E folder....

Definitely weird, reloaded the kext (the way Tony described in his install from CD method) (using kext helper and kext utility + disk utility to repair disk permissions)

and it's not showing up with the above command...

also it shows up as zero kb in the E/E folder....

Yes, it is weird, I also tried to download it with 3 differents browsers on Windows and Mac OS X and same result: an empty folder ...

I created a thread in the english section of the kexts.com forum to signal this ...

Yes, it is weird, I also tried to download it with 3 differents browsers on Windows and Mac OS X and same result: an empty folder ...

I created a thread in the english section of the kexts.com forum to signal this ...

thanks. If that ends up being fruitful at all, please let me know

could you describe (or point me to) the chameleon bootloader USB route?

Also, is it possible to change the default OS for the bootloader?

Thanks so much for helping me with this. I'm definitely learning a lot, esp about Terminal :D

What is correct FSB for P55 chipset?

"sysctl -a | grep freq" result is;

"hw.busfrequency = 4294967295"

This is all right?

I think,

It looks like 4.8GHz, but overflow 4bytes, so 0xFFFFFFFF = 4294967295

How can i fix it?

Sorry for my poor English :)

i-860, P55A-UD3R, HD4850, 10.6.2(10c540)

hey guys, i posted a couple pages back. I got everything working perfectly except for 1 thing.

Anytime a few minutes go by with no sound playing (approx 3-5 min), then suddenly a sound plays (like changing system volume), it will go "POP" loudly. Its getting quite annoying, I definitely want to get rid of it. I wonder why it keeps happening though, not just once per boot. On some other PCs I've heard this "POP" sound too when the OS is booting, but you never hear it until booting again.

Anyway, does anyone know how to make this annoying pop sound to go away?

Btw my stats:

GA-P55-UD2

Intel i5 @ 3.4ghz (geekb: 8944)

AppleHDA.kext & LegacyHDA_ALC888.kext (as suggested by tonymacx86's blog)

Custom DSDT.aml (created by tonymacx86)

No SpeedStep

I've tried many methods, this is the only one that even plays sound. Voodoo 32/64 kext doesnt work, tonys custom DSDT.aml by itself doesnt work. I dont know what else to do.

Hey guys, I'm still having trouble getting it to boot on it's own

p55a ud4p with sata HDD and sata DVD Drive

I'm using Tony's Boot disk, which let me install it, and I can boot if I use Tony's disk but I can't get it to boot without it.

SerialATAPI initial device configuration did not complete successfully. (failedCommandInfo - 0x2)

then

still waiting for root device

I tried to extract my DSDT, but DSDTSE gave me the error "exception of class NilObjectException"

then I dropped in the p55a ud3 dsdt to see if that solved any problems but it didn't work either

any suggestions where to go from here?

thanks guys

I had this issue once in my Asus MoBo, when I added some disk controller related extensions. Removed them and boot was working back.

thanks. If that ends up being fruitful at all, please let me know

could you describe (or point me to) the chameleon bootloader USB route?

Also, is it possible to change the default OS for the bootloader?

Thanks so much for helping me with this. I'm definitely learning a lot, esp about Terminal :(

Sorry that I can't help more for the HDD here's the answer from kexts.com:

>Hello rekursor,

>You are doing nothing wrong. Its a kext of 0KB. Don't know who did it, but its NO GO!

>Sorry.

Concerning the USB boot, I believe that if you can build a bootable USB dongle with all the kexts from the /Extra directory and the smbios,plist, com.Boot.apple.plist and dsdt.aml from your HDD, you're good.

Especially because you can now specify the default boot partition in your com.apple.Boot.plist (i.e: Default Partition=hd(1,2)), so it would be almost transparent and convenient for you (only put your usb key in a port of your pc and it will be boot fast)

You should try to create a Chameleon bootable USB key from the RC1 version first here:

Chameleon-2.0-r431.pkg.zip on the chameleon website (can't post the link here) it's an automatic installer pkg.

Then reproduce the manual procedure I gave you recently in order to put on the USB key the new boot files from modded RC4 otherwise you won't be able to boot with RC1.

Then we will try to help all the folks with P55a for the DSDT matter so I will need some of you to try to extract the dsdt manually and post it here so I can have a look to it.

Good luck :)

What is correct FSB for P55 chipset?

"sysctl -a | grep freq" result is;

"hw.busfrequency = 4294967295"

This is all right?

I think,

It looks like 4.8GHz, but overflow 4bytes, so 0xFFFFFFFF = 4294967295

How can i fix it?

Add this in your smbios.plist file, in your /Extra folder:

<key>SMbusspeed</key>
<string>4800</string>

After that you should get in your profile info a new line like that one:

Processor Interconnect Speed:	4.8 GT/s

No problem, glad I could help, that is a weird issue you are having with your drives. I was able to delete IOACHIBlockInjector.kext and both my RAID array and my Windows HD both still show up normally.

Not sure, maybe I have something wrong in my DSDT file. I know that while I have that kext in the in /E/E directory, all drives seem to be shown correctly. As soon as I remove it, a number of the drives start to appear as external drives. I will try it again, maybe things will be different now that I removed the NullCPU Kext. Thx

hey guys, i posted a couple pages back. I got everything working perfectly except for 1 thing.

Anytime a few minutes go by with no sound playing (approx 3-5 min), then suddenly a sound plays (like changing system volume), it will go "POP" loudly ../..

Did you try without overclocking and see if you have the same pb ?

Also, do you experiment this pb with iTunes ?

We need to change fake_efi.c in RC4 and implement filling of Model,system-id,SystemSerialNumber fields to mach data in smbios.plist. (Model to mach <key>SMproductname</key> and SystemSerialNumber to mach <key>SMserial</key>)

Also there is no need for some data in smbios.plist like <key>SMmaximalclock</key> and <key>SMexternalclock</key> because mach_kernel calculate this.

This is info from real Macs (hidden real numbers with xx and "X")

iMac10,1 OS 10A2155 mach_kernel 10,1,2

All data on table IODeviceTree:/efi/platform

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DevicePathsSupported Data <01 00 00 00>

FSBFrequency Data <40 6b ed 07 00 00 00 00>

Model Data <"i","M","a","c","1","1",",","1">

name Data <platform>

system-id Data <6f aa xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx> !!! IOPlatformUUID is diferent than this !!!

SystemSerialNumber Data <"W","8","X","X","X","X","X","X","X","X","X","X" >

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

iMac11,1 OS 10C2234

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FSBFrequency Data <40 6b ed 07 00 00 00 00>

Model Data <"i","M","a","c","1","1",",","1">

name Data <platform>

system-id Data <6f aa xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx> !!! IOPlatformUUID is diferent than this !!!

SystemSerialNumber Data <"W","8","X","X","X","X","X","X","X","X","X","X" >

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MacPro4,1 OS Build 10B504 mach_kernel 10,0,0

FSBFrequency Data <2f 6b ed 07 00 00 00 00>

Model Data <"M","a","c","P","r","o","4",",","1">

name Data <platform>

system-id Data <e5 a5 xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx> !!! IOPlatformUUID is diferent than this !!!

SystemSerialNumber Data <"G","8","X","X","X","X","X","X","X","X","X","X" >

MacPro4,1 OS Build 9B2117 mach_kernel 9.1.1

FSBFrequency Data <8d 41 c8 17 00 00 00 00>

Model Data <"M","a","c","P","r","o","4",",","1">

name Data <platform>

system-id Data <e5 a8 xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx> !!! IOPlatformUUID is diferent than this !!!

SystemSerialNumber Data <"G","8","X","X","X","X","X","X","X","X","X","X" >

Hey Guys....since this is a buying recommendations thread after all....

Curious to your thoughts about the i5 750 v. the i7 860

Mostly for everyday mutitasking, htpc, and some light photo editing on the side

I know there are other posts out there but I wanted to hear from the guys actually working with these procs and the Gigabyte boards....I'll probably go with the UD2 at this point just because of all the great work you guys are doing

Also any Ram recommendations?

Favorite CPU Cooler?

Thanks for all the info guys....I've become addicted to this thread!

Hey Guys....since this is a buying recommendations thread after all....

Curious to your thoughts about the i5 750 v. the i7 860

Mostly for everyday mutitasking, htpc, and some light photo editing on the side

I know there are other posts out there but I wanted to hear from the guys actually working with these procs and the Gigabyte boards....I'll probably go with the UD2 at this point just because of all the great work you guys are doing

Also any Ram recommendations?

Favorite CPU Cooler?

Thanks for all the info guys....I've become addicted to this thread!

I went with an i5 750 - not sure why only that it was about £70 cheaper than an i7. As far as speed is concerned I'm happy - dual booting OS X SL and Win 7. I'm runnning this on a UD3R and no crashes since installl.

RAM, bought the cheapest DDR3 I could get, 2x2GB. Crucial £60.

Cooler, bought Artic Extreme V2 - quiet and cool.

So just another few updates.

I can confirm that my XFX 4890 works perfectly with dual monitors (via DVI). The model I bought was HD-489X-ZSFC. All it requires is Netkas's exotic patcher plus graphics enabler on Chameleon.

However, other issues I've realized.

1). Sleep doesn't work no matter what I try. In fact, even in Windows 7 sleep doesn't work. My computer will just go to sleep and whenever it wakes up it reboots automatically. I thought maybe this was related to my overclock, but even at default settings it does the same thing. So maybe it's just a faulty motherboard or something?

2). I bought a blu-ray burner Pioneer BDR-205. I do get some issues with this so I'm not sure if it's the specific model or something with my setup. It's SATA hooked up to the P55 chipset. It seems like when I first start-up the computer, it works fine, but after a while (maybe when my other HD's go to sleep (I have 5 HD's hooked up to the P55 chipset), then it stops to work. If I try to eject any dvd in there, it will tell me that the disc is not readable. So I can't eject through disk utility, toast, or any other method until I restart the DVD drive. I've tried turning off the "put hd to sleep" option in the energy saver, but that doesn't seem to do anything. I know there were a few threads on this a while back, but not sure how it was solved. Next I'm going to try to gigabyte ports to see if that helps.

But if any of you have comments on either of these problems I would definitely appreciate it!

So just another few updates.

I can confirm that my XFX 4890 works perfectly with dual monitors (via DVI). The model I bought was HD-489X-ZSFC. All it requires is Netkas's exotic patcher plus graphics enabler on Chameleon.

However, other issues I've realized.

1). Sleep doesn't work no matter what I try. In fact, even in Windows 7 sleep doesn't work. My computer will just go to sleep and whenever it wakes up it reboots automatically. I thought maybe this was related to my overclock, but even at default settings it does the same thing. So maybe it's just a faulty motherboard or something?

2). I bought a blu-ray burner Pioneer BDR-205. I do get some issues with this so I'm not sure if it's the specific model or something with my setup. It's SATA hooked up to the P55 chipset. It seems like when I first start-up the computer, it works fine, but after a while (maybe when my other HD's go to sleep (I have 5 HD's hooked up to the P55 chipset), then it stops to work. If I try to eject any dvd in there, it will tell me that the disc is not readable. So I can't eject through disk utility, toast, or any other method until I restart the DVD drive. I've tried turning off the "put hd to sleep" option in the energy saver, but that doesn't seem to do anything. I know there were a few threads on this a while back, but not sure how it was solved. Next I'm going to try to gigabyte ports to see if that helps.

But if any of you have comments on either of these problems I would definitely appreciate it!

I have the same problem with my Sata DVD drive. Its at cheap samsung. Did it work connecting it too the gigabyte ports?

Hello all.

I thought I would let everyone know that Apple's software raid works fine with a P55 mobo. I currently have two Western Digital 640gb hard drives set up in a raid 0. Following this guide worked perfectly for me. Of course you need to use the boot file from this thread that is P55 friendly instead of the one in the guide. Also, the way I set mine up was by installing everything on a separate hard drive and made sure everything worked properly, then formatted the two hard drives into a raid array through disk utility. I then made a copy of my working hard drive using Carbon Copy Cloner and restored it to the array. Make sure you leave all your hd bios settings as they are (ahci). Once everything is setup properly, keep in mind that anytime you want to make changes to kexts or bootloaders, you have to change it in the hidden arrays mentioned in the guide. Hope that helps anyone interested. Good luck!

That's actually quite interesting, and good to know. I was in Disk Utility the other day, and was wondering about that option. Have you run any benchmarks to see how big the difference is? I assume you're running in RAID 0, and then using Time Machine or CCC for the mirror?

That's actually quite interesting, and good to know. I was in Disk Utility the other day, and was wondering about that option. Have you run any benchmarks to see how big the difference is? I assume you're running in RAID 0, and then using Time Machine or CCC for the mirror?

Yes it is possible to install a software raid config. as explained in the README file of the chameleon distrib.

But it is not possible to install an other os the mac os x on your raid area is it ?

Personally, I installed W7 and OSX1062 on a hardware raid array with a $70 pcie raid RocketRAID 2640x1 card.

It's blazing fast (I get twice approx. twice the speed of what I get when using the integrated mobo sata ports with low cpu load), the only (minor) side effect I have is that my raid array is seen as external on OSX, more cosmetic than annoying. It also works great on W7.

Anytime a few minutes go by with no sound playing (approx 3-5 min), then suddenly a sound plays (like changing system volume), it will go "POP" loudly. Its getting quite annoying, I definitely want to get rid of it. I wonder why it keeps happening though, not just once per boot. On some other PCs I've heard this "POP" sound too when the OS is booting, but you never hear it until booting again.

Anyway, does anyone know how to make this annoying pop sound to go away?

Btw my stats:

GA-P55-UD2

Intel i5 @ 3.4ghz (geekb: 8944)

AppleHDA.kext & LegacyHDA_ALC888.kext (as suggested by tonymacx86's blog)

Custom DSDT.aml (created by tonymacx86)

No SpeedStep

I've tried many methods, this is the only one that even plays sound. Voodoo 32/64 kext doesnt work, tonys custom DSDT.aml by itself doesnt work. I dont know what else to do.

I don't know if this will work or not, but try the MacPro4,1 smbios.plist values posted on page 64. I've never personally had this issue, although I have been asked about it before. If anything, it's worth a try! ;)

Yes it is possible to install a software raid config. as explained in the README file of the chameleon distrib.

But it is not possible to install an other os the mac os x on your raid area is it ?

Personally, I installed W7 and OSX1062 on a hardware raid array with a $70 pcie raid RocketRAID 2640x1 card.

It's blazing fast (I get twice approx. twice the speed of what I get when using the integrated mobo sata ports with low cpu load), the only (minor) side effect I have is that my raid array is seen as external on OSX, more cosmetic than annoying. It also works great on W7.

Hello

i tryed this Raid0-Installation on my GA-P55-UD3, following this guide in Post#1262,

but no succes, it hangs always by "APCI_SMC_Platform" (booted -v)

i used the boot-files from Chameleon 2-RC4(boot0, boot1h)

i copied an runnig System with CCC to my raid-Volume, then i made it bootable,

i removed AppleSMC.kext, still the same

has anybody get succes ?

thanks for response

Herman the German

Hello

i tryed this Raid0-Installation on my GA-P55-UD3, following this guide in Post#1262,

but no succes, it hangs always by "APCI_SMC_Platform" (booted -v)

i used the boot-files from Chameleon 2-RC4(boot0, boot1h)

i copied an runnig System with CCC to my raid-Volume, then i made it bootable,

i removed AppleSMC.kext, still the same

has anybody get succes ?

thanks for response

Herman the German

I sense another TonyMac guide coming up, "How to dual-boot Snow Leopard on software RAID 0 and Windows 7". hehe.

I need to come up with another drive to start playing with this...and to think I thought I was content with my system.

I sense another TonyMac guide coming up, "How to dual-boot Snow Leopard on software RAID 0 and Windows 7". hehe.

AFAIK, it is not possible to install windows AND osx with software raids solution like the one in OSX or the intel ICHxx raid systems