NEW Intel P55 Mobos & Core i7 860 / i5 750 CPU LGA1156

1,554 posts in this topic

InsanelyMac User pm_mickey brought this up on another thread:

For chameleon RC4

In smbios.plist add this for correct Busspeed

<key>SMbusspeed</key>

<string>4800</string>

Also examining ioreg from real iMac11,1 there is new cputype 0x0601 but on 10C540 this is not implemented and Processor will be shown as Unknown. iMac11,1 have another version of OS 10C2234.

For future versions this is corect cputype

<key>SMcputype</key>

<string>1537</string>

Is this of relevance or already incorporated in our installs?

No, I mean from the entry in the FakeSMC 2.5 page

FakeSMC 2.5

November 20th 2009 Posted to FakeSMC

New features:

Reworked 3rd party patch for reading cpu temps, now kext does it on demand, not in loop. You can use Istat to monitor cpu temps, default tjmax value is 100, you can adjust it Info.plist, works only for intel’s core 2/core i7.

http://netkas.org/?p=338

I see CPU A/B in iStat, but I don't think it's accurate because when I go into BIOS or windows 7, I get temps of 20s on idle, and in SL I get temps of 40s.

And then when I use the http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19994 Temperature Monitor software, my temps are in the 300000s or something like that.

I get high readings from that software too, 8000-9000s. But my istat readings seem correct, bios reports around the same degrees. After all, they are a few degrees above room temperature, can't imagine it going lower than that. Have you enabled speedstep ? That made the temperatures go down in my case.

i tried about every step and every workaround in this 65 pages thread, still can't get it to work.

first of all, some of the specs:

Gigabyte P55M-UD4

Intel i7-860 2.8GHz (shown as 2.93GHz all the time...?)

Gainward GTX275 (896MB) GS

4GB DDR3 1333MHz

1TB Samsung SpinPoint

this is not my first hackintosh, but the first that doesn't work "easy".

everything works fine, but i just can't get a working screen in the SL installer.

i tried booting with -x, still nothing. it looks like the resolution doesn't work, although my monitor would tell me that... tried EFI without NVenabler etc, still no results.

does anyone have an idea? i'm stuck as hell.

(the last hackintosh i made was a quad-core on a p45, that was a walk in the park compared with this one...)

i tried about every step and every workaround in this 65 pages thread, still can't get it to work.

first of all, some of the specs:

Gigabyte P55M-UD4

Intel i7-860 2.8GHz (shown as 2.93GHz all the time...?)

Gainward GTX275 (896MB) GS

4GB DDR3 1333MHz

1TB Samsung SpinPoint

this is not my first hackintosh, but the first that doesn't work "easy".

everything works fine, but i just can't get a working screen in the SL installer.

i tried booting with -x, still nothing. it looks like the resolution doesn't work, although my monitor would tell me that... tried EFI without NVenabler etc, still no results.

does anyone have an idea? i'm stuck as hell.

(the last hackintosh i made was a quad-core on a p45, that was a walk in the park compared with this one...)

Problems with video ? Do you use a DSDT file that is for your board ? (It can be really important to have success) Do you use graphic enabler option with PC-EFI ? Sometimes, the com.apple.boot.plist file can be so corrupt that the graphic enabler option is ignored. Ever tried to start with GraphicsEnabler=y option on PC-EFI boot prompt ? Unfortunately I have no experience with Nvidia cards.

So enabled the advanced options, removed the NullCPU kext. When I restarted and tried Geekbench 32bit, I got a better score than before on the first attempt at 10500, previous high was around 9900.

I tried geekbench a second time to try and get an average, I got a kernel panic instead. to date I have not received this when inside Snow Leopard.

I changed the advanced options to auto again, and restarted. The score went down to 4316.

So at this point I think I am still better off with leaving NullCPU in the /E/E folder instead of trying to enable the advanced options and removing that.

Not sure how others have fared with this. I did also make the change to that Rekursor mentioned related to the UUID.

I was having the same problem, try setting EIST under advanced CPU to enabled and everything else to auto. It worked for me.

yeah i cannot wake from sleep using the keyboard if its plugged into one of those USB ports, still wakes from sleep fine from the power button though. maybe those top USB ports are not enabled properly in the DSDT? i have no idea, just a thought ../..

Well, what we need to be aware right now is that we're running 10.6.2 10C540 and that with this release, the best we can expect is probably what we get now, because we run our USB P55 based chipset in compatibility mode.

I guess we'll try to make it better when 10.6.3 will be out

can anyone see this post from me (or any of the previous ones i've made?)

i'm beginning to think they're not showing up or something because i've gotten 0 response from any of them...

if anyone can see this, just give me a written nod please so i don't start going crazy.

in other news, i'm still trying to get some kinks worked out of my setup to get it to boot without tonymac's boot cd. had some basic questions about that that i've posted hoping for some ideas from you guys, but unfortunately so far no responses.

can anyone see this post from me (or any of the previous ones i've made?)

i'm beginning to think they're not showing up or something because i've gotten 0 response from any of them...

if anyone can see this, just give me a written nod please so i don't start going crazy.

in other news, i'm still trying to get some kinks worked out of my setup to get it to boot without tonymac's boot cd. had some basic questions about that that i've posted hoping for some ideas from you guys, but unfortunately so far no responses.

Please don't ask to contact people personally.

Please read all the pertinent content in the forum and tony's blog first.

Now concerning your configuration, it seems that you try to boot with a software raid mode whatever it is (P55 chipset raid is also software raid).

This does not work unless you only use your raid array(s) with only one particular OS.

You won't be able to boot windows and macos on the same raid array because they do it differently.

We don't support raid on this thread, but you can use the search field in this forum and see what to do to have an osx only raid array for instance. Interesting material can be READ in the README of the chameleon distrib.

Concerning your ATI HD4890 card, like all recent cards, it needs to READ a lot of content that is not related to this thread.

netkas is the graphics card expert IMHO and you should try to ask question to him (think about it before you disturb him, he's a busy guy) on irc.osx86.hu on #radeonhd.

We try to help lot of people here and we do it for free, so please don't expect that we will do the READING work for you ...

...thanks for the response.

i've been reading nonstop for weeks, and have spent a lot of time on tony's blog, not sure why you would suggest i haven't. i'm new to this world so my learning curve is pretty steep but i'm doing everything i can to succeed with this new challenge.

i'm asking similarly phrased questions as others. there's a lot i dont know still and i'm willing to do the work to learn it, but when i run out of ideas i thought it was safe to think that this was a supportive place to come with questions and try to get some answers and ideas.

i definitely can't do it without this forum and this thread, and help from some of the guys on here with experience, so now that i've taken the financial plunge on the new computer i hope i can be confident that this is a supportive and helpful place to come when i need assistance.

in other news... does anyone else feel this thread would have more readily accessible info if it was broken up into specific motherboards? i guess they're related closely enough that you prefer to keep it together, otherwise you wouldn't do it this way, but from a noobie's perspective, this thread is difficult to sift through and follow since there's info coming from all angles, and the sheer size of it makes it tough to read and actually retain everything posted here.

../..

in other news... does anyone else feel this thread would have more readily accessible info if it was broken up into specific motherboards? i guess they're related closely enough that you prefer to keep it together, otherwise you wouldn't do it this way, but from a noobie's perspective, this thread is difficult to sift through and follow since there's info coming from all angles, and the sheer size of it makes it tough to read and actually retain everything posted here.

I guess this is why cool souls like tony did a P55 blog:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/

osx86 projects are about hacking, which implies understanding as much as we can what we do,

As Masterchief said in another thread, come on, read all the content that you can and don't be lazy !

Hello all.

I thought I would let everyone know that Apple's software raid works fine with a P55 mobo. I currently have two Western Digital 640gb hard drives set up in a raid 0. Following this guide worked perfectly for me. Of course you need to use the boot file from this thread that is P55 friendly instead of the one in the guide. Also, the way I set mine up was by installing everything on a separate hard drive and made sure everything worked properly, then formatted the two hard drives into a raid array through disk utility. I then made a copy of my working hard drive using Carbon Copy Cloner and restored it to the array. Make sure you leave all your hd bios settings as they are (ahci). Once everything is setup properly, keep in mind that anytime you want to make changes to kexts or bootloaders, you have to change it in the hidden arrays mentioned in the guide. Hope that helps anyone interested. Good luck!

@JHenley01

Ok, thx for the reply, I will try that and report back on what I see.

@JHenley

Thank you for the tip on the EIST. After setting that to enabled and removing the NULLCPUPower... Kext, I ran the 32bit Geekbench test 6 times in succession and all was good. The score seems to have gone done from 9800 to 9400, but otherwise it seemed to behave well.

I then tried the 64 bit Geekbench test and my score came back at around 11000. Definitely cannot complain based on what I have read in the various posts.

Thank you again.

I suppose my next task should be finding out how to remove the IOACHIBlockInjector.kext from /E/E folder. With that in there, my SATA drives behave the way they should and all show as internal drives, If I remove that Kext, then my internal drives, other than the ones connected to the Gigabyte SATA ports appear as external drives. The opposite to what I have read in the posts it seems.

InsanelyMac User pm_mickey brought this up on another thread:

Is this of relevance or already incorporated in our installs?

OoOoO

post-114155-1261305634_thumb.png

does anyone know how to remove 750 and the R and TM symbols? im a bit fussy like that. like how its shown in the Lynnfield iMacs.

didnt put the SMbusspeed in as thats the interconnect speed right? aka QPI for the Core i7 920?

ive also modded my SMbios.plist to appear like a real Mac Pro 4,1 with the Model and Boot ROM (even though it has a 750 and not a 920 [i dont really think of my box as an iMac :rolleyes:]). the SMC version is not teh same as the current Mac Pro, i think thats tied into fakesmc.

post-114155-1261305643_thumb.png

heres the contents of smbios.plist in /Extra to make your hack appear as above (removed my UUID).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/Prop$

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMbiosvendor</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MP41.88Z.0081.B04.0903051113</string>

<key>SMbiosdate</key>

<string>11/06/2009</string>

<key>SMboardmanufacturer</key>

<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<string>Mac-F221BEC8</string>

<key>SMfamily</key>

<string>MacPro</string>

<key>SMmanufacturer</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro4,1</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>00000000000</string>

<key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

<key>SMUUID</key>

<string>…</string>

<key>SMcputype</key>

<string>1537</string>

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>24</string>

<key>SMmemspeed</key>

<string>1333</string>

<key>SMmemmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Computer Inc.</string>

<key>SMmemserial</key>

<string>100000000</string>

<key>SMmempart</key>

<string>1</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Hey guys, I'm still having trouble getting it to boot on it's own

p55a ud4p with sata HDD and sata DVD Drive

I'm using Tony's Boot disk, which let me install it, and I can boot if I use Tony's disk but I can't get it to boot without it.

SerialATAPI initial device configuration did not complete successfully. (failedCommandInfo - 0x2)

then

still waiting for root device

I tried to extract my DSDT, but DSDTSE gave me the error "exception of class NilObjectException"

then I dropped in the p55a ud3 dsdt to see if that solved any problems but it didn't work either

any suggestions where to go from here?

thanks guys

lordduckx,

I wish I had some help to offer you. I was in the same boat when I first installed to my HD. I eventually gave up and reinstalled to my SSD and everything worked. I have no idea why it didn't work on the HD, but did on the SSD. I think I followed the instructions to the letter both times.

Herb

lordduckx,

I wish I had some help to offer you. I was in the same boat when I first installed to my HD. I eventually gave up and reinstalled to my SSD and everything worked. I have no idea why it didn't work on the HD, but did on the SSD. I think I followed the instructions to the letter both times.

Herb

P55A-UD3

think I should just try reinstalling and see if that gets me anywhere?

I am now able to get DSDT to run, but I don't know where I would change anything that would get my SATA to be recognized...

Hey guys, I'm still having trouble getting it to boot on it's own

p55a ud4p with sata HDD and sata DVD Drive

I'm using Tony's Boot disk, which let me install it, and I can boot if I use Tony's disk but I can't get it to boot without it.

SerialATAPI initial device configuration did not complete successfully. (failedCommandInfo - 0x2)

then

still waiting for root device

I tried to extract my DSDT, but DSDTSE gave me the error "exception of class NilObjectException"

then I dropped in the p55a ud3 dsdt to see if that solved any problems but it didn't work either

any suggestions where to go from here?

thanks guys

Ok, let's try to see step by step how we can make that work:

First, I guess you checked that your bios sata settings are set to AHCI, not ide. That all your advanced cpu settings are set to optimized defaults.

For now, I'll advise you not to plug anything to your config, no usb devices except your keyb/mouse, no pci(/e) devices.

I also assume that you try to boot a single GUID partitioned HDD containing at least one OSX boot partition.

Use the command diskutil list in terminal to get your disk index and your osx partition index.

Then, once in OSX grab the binaries of my modified Chameleon RC4 here

Then, as an example if your osx installed os is on disk 0 and your osx partition is number 2,

Open a terminal, go to the sym/i386 directory of the distrib and type (you can drag-n-drop the icon folder in your finder to the terminal and it will copy the path to the folder with the distrib):

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

sudo cp boot /

If your disk is index 1 then replace rdisk0 by rdisk1 and rdisk0s2 by rdisk1s2, if your partition number is 4 instead of 2, replace rdisk1s2 with rdisk1s4 and so on ...

Then try to boot first with the options:

-x -v GraphicsEnabler=y USBBusFix=y and ForceHPET=y (should work in chamRC4 and superior)

Now concerning your DSDT: if you have a Windows partition, try this for getting your DSDT from Windows:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...2434&st=100

If your running Windows 7, you might need to run this app in WindowsXP compatibility mode (right-click on the application icon in your explorer and check the WindowsXP compatibility mode)

Follow the instructions on the link I gave you (koala's dsdt patcher) and pray ;)

do NOT patch your bios with this tool, only extract the dsdt and send it here.

Note: tony's blog has a nice topic on how to install manually chamelon, go there and read that too ...

EDIT: You might also try to setup your bios so that SATA3 is deactivated or any option related to SATA2 compatibility mode, same remark for USB3-> USB2 compatibility mode

@JHenley

Thank you for the tip on the EIST. After setting that to enabled and removing the NULLCPUPower... Kext, I ran the 32bit Geekbench test 6 times in succession and all was good. The score seems to have gone done from 9800 to 9400, but otherwise it seemed to behave well.

I then tried the 64 bit Geekbench test and my score came back at around 11000. Definitely cannot complain based on what I have read in the various posts.

Thank you again.

I suppose my next task should be finding out how to remove the IOACHIBlockInjector.kext from /E/E folder. With that in there, my SATA drives behave the way they should and all show as internal drives, If I remove that Kext, then my internal drives, other than the ones connected to the Gigabyte SATA ports appear as external drives. The opposite to what I have read in the posts it seems.

No problem, glad I could help, that is a weird issue you are having with your drives. I was able to delete IOACHIBlockInjector.kext and both my RAID array and my Windows HD both still show up normally.

Ok, let's try to see step by step how we can make that work:

First, I guess you checked that your bios sata settings are set to AHCI, not ide. That all your advanced cpu settings are set to optimized defaults.

For now, I'll advise you not to plug anything to your config, no usb devices except your keyb/mouse, no pci(/e) devices.

I also assume that you try to boot a single GUID partitioned HDD containing at least one OSX boot partition.

Use the command diskutil list in terminal to get your disk index and your osx partition index.

Then, once in OSX grab the binaries of my modified Chameleon RC4 here

Then, as an example if your osx installed os is on disk 0 and your osx partition is number 2,

Open a terminal, go to the sym/i386 directory of the distrib and type (you can drag-n-drop the icon folder in your finder to the terminal and it will copy the path to the folder with the distrib):

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

sudo cp boot /

If your disk is index 1 then replace rdisk0 by rdisk1 and rdisk0s2 by rdisk1s2, if your partition number is 4 instead of 2, replace rdisk1s2 with rdisk1s4 and so on ...

Then try to boot first with the options:

-x -v GraphicsEnabler=y USBBusFix=y and ForceHPET=y (should work in chamRC4 and superior)

Now concerning your DSDT: if you have a Windows partition, try this for getting your DSDT from Windows:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...2434&st=100

If your running Windows 7, you might need to run this app in WindowsXP compatibility mode (right-click on the application icon in your explorer and check the WindowsXP compatibility mode)

Follow the instructions on the link I gave you (koala's dsdt patcher) and pray :)

do NOT patch your bios with this tool, only extract the dsdt and send it here.

Note: tony's blog has a nice topic on how to install manually chamelon, go there and read that too ...

EDIT: You might also try to setup your bios so that SATA3 is deactivated or any option related to SATA2 compatibility mode, same remark for USB3-> USB2 compatibility mode

All your assumptions were correct

I followed your guide for the Chameleon boot, and still could not get it to boot, ending at the same error.

I'm using AppleRTC.kext to avoid cmos right now

any other thoughts?

thanks again

All your assumptions were correct

I followed your guide for the Chameleon boot, and still could not get it to boot, ending at the same error.

I'm using AppleRTC.kext to avoid cmos right now

any other thoughts?

thanks again

Did you check if you can change the sata compatibility mode in your bios ?

I suspect a sata3 incompatibility with these new (p55a) boards ...

Did you check if you can change the sata compatibility mode in your bios ?

I suspect a sata3 incompatibility with these new (p55a) boards ...

i just checked and didn't see anything to change

it's definitely not in the sata 6 gb port, and the gigabyte website says that the other 6 (blue sata3 ports) are on the p55 express chipset