Why do I hate Firefox for Mac?

40 posts in this topic

I just can't explain it, but I absolutely hate Firefox for Mac (this is even after trying multiple versions). What is the big deal with the Mac version and why do I feel it is so hideous? Is it just a matter of personal taste (especially with the lack of Human Interface Guideline--HIG)? Or is there something deeper and more sinister?

is it the fact that it ignores the Aqua guidlines? Maybe the lack of standard spell checking? How about the broken auto-fill? But still, I keep using it because of the ad-blocker ad-on (look for it on the mozilla firefox extention site). Pithhelmet can't compete. Everytime you see an ad, just right click on it, set the filter entry (with wildcards), plus there is a small link at the bottom of the browser window that will bring up every element in the page, allowing you to block tracking cookies, advertiser scripts, counters, and even individual plugin/java items- I literaly cannot surf without it, my attention is too easy to grab when every page on the net seems to be full of high-motion flash-based ads. Within a few weeks noisy ads have disapeared from my web browser. As cool as it would be, there is little chance of it appearing in Safari, since the entire extention is written in XUL for mozilla-based apps. Oh well.

I love firefox and use it both in OSX and XP. The range of extensions available are amazing, and the fact that it is free seals the deal. Its available for linux as well, and I will always support that. I use the weather plugin so I constantly know what the weather is like in Finland where my girlfriend is. I can't stand using IE or Safari any more.

I find Shiira is a really good browser! It looks and works much like Safari, you can get icon sets, etc... Go have a look:

http://hmdt-web.net/shiira/en

Looks good but crashes just like Safari for me.

Just like OP i love FF in Windows, but can't get used to in OSX. Safari is very fast in OSX compared to FF but it crashes sometimes (especially pages with Flash so i disabled the plugin).

Camino is not bad but couldn't get fonts to look good in there, looks kinda faded. Also, couldn't get rid of status bar, tried CamMod or something and it messed up Camino.

I don't like Opera at all, can't stand it for some reason both in Windows and OSX.

I'd use Camino if it offered a way to install extensions.

I don't like Firefox's visual appeal or memory hogs in Mac OS X, but I use it because I can save sessions with Tab Mix Plus.

I can do everything most FireFox users do with Opera (and they've fixed their problem with the HIG). It automatically saves sessions, puts the close tab x on every tab, already has the sidebar, and does IRC. So, I've been using Opera ever since I've found out about it (and it became free) and haven't even looked at Firefox again.

Here's why I like using Ff across all platforms.

- Smoothwheel for smooth scrolling

- Flashgot for download manager with speed download

- Google Toolbar (doh)

- Fasterfox (doh)

- Adblock (doh)

- Tab Mix Plus for just about all tab features and restore when system or Ff crashes

- adblock filterset.g updater

- you can use the same files that save your bookmarks, login, and cookies across all platform

Those that complain about memory hog.. Yes, it's just the memory that get eaten up, not anyting else. Make it eat only 80mb across all browsers/platform. Search Pu7o's post for the fix in the dev section.

Those that complain about memory hog.. Yes, it's just the memory that get eaten up, not anyting else. Make it eat only 80mb across all browsers/platform. Search Pu7o's post for the fix in the dev section.

But we shouldn't have to fix something that the company probably knows about and refuses to act upon.

But we shouldn't have to fix something that the company probably knows about and refuses to act upon.

So you are saying you just like posting your oppinions on a site that "fixes" something in order to get something working on PC? You are right at some point about how screwed up Mozilla is with the memory problem. Have you actually used 1.5.0.2? Are yu sure the bug is still there? Have you tried a clean install of Ff using 1.5.0.2?

• 2 weeks later...

I like Firefox for several reasons. One of the main ones is the fact that it runs on all the OS's I use. Linux, OS X, Windows- in all of them I have the same browsing enviroment, same extensions and the same look if I choose so. Yes, Opera also has this bonus, but for some random reason I simply do not like using it. Perhaps it was because in it's early days when I was trying it out it just kept crashing almost constantly on Windows. I know many things have changed since then, but i'm ok with Firefox. Extensions is a great plus too. It has it's shortcommings, of course. Occasional memory leak (from some extension usually), relatively slow startup times on Linux and OS X (don't know, but generally it starts a bit faster on Windows) and some other oddities. I can live with all that. I have been using it since 0.7 Firebird days and am simply used to all of that.

adblock + adblock filterset.g updater (i can't stand manually blocking ads as i go) means i will always select firefox. honestly i feel no difference between different platforms with firefox.

safari is the browser i can't stand to look at. i find it visually unappealing... in sharp contrast to the rest of the OS.

Me too, I hate Firefox for Mac!! I don't know why, but I think Firefox is kinda weak for a Mac, a Mac is something much more than Firefox, so I use Safari. I don't use Camino too, a lot of people have told me Camino is better than Safari but who cares? I just love to do it Apple style hehehe