Why do I hate Firefox for Mac?

40 posts in this topic

Try using the latest version ie 1.5.0.3

For some reason this version is a lot better than ones before.

It is actually faster than Camino & Safari.

Gone is the previous crawling performance..

I also think the goodle toolbar extension is a big resource hog.

Myzar try this...

1. Open up Firefox and type about:config in the URL box.

2. Find the line mousewheel.withnokey.sysnumlines, set it to false by double clicking on true.

3. Find the line mousewheel.withnokey.numlines, set it to the number of lines you want to scroll at a time. This controls the scrolling speed. I used 4.

Try using the latest version ie 1.5.0.3

For some reason this version is a lot better than ones before.

It is actually faster than Camino & Safari.

Gone is the previous crawling performance..

I also think the goodle toolbar extension is a big resource hog.

Myzar try this...

1. Open up Firefox and type about:config in the URL box.

2. Find the line mousewheel.withnokey.sysnumlines, set it to false by double clicking on true.

3. Find the line mousewheel.withnokey.numlines, set it to the number of lines you want to scroll at a time. This controls the scrolling speed. I used 4.

scrolling is faster now thx

I find Shiira is a really good browser! It looks and works much like Safari, you can get icon sets, etc... Go have a look:

Shiira would be my only browser if it were a bit more stable. For whatever reason it seems to become less stable over time (perhaps my imagination). I still use it 95% of the time but switch to Firefox for anything critical (web orders, banking, etc.).

I prefer Shiira to Firefox because the interface with the tray is simply fantastic; bookmarks, downloads, RSS all reside nicely in the Shiira tray - very intuitive and very fast. I just wish they'd correct the stability issues (which are very, very rare but can become bothersome - I suspect the problem lies in Apple's WebKit, not Shiira's guts itself, as Safari seems to be just as buggy).

I'm not sure why people gripe about Firefox's looks on OS X. As mentioned above, just install the iFox theme and Firefox suddenly looks and feels very Mac like!

If Opera weren't so dang ugly maybe I'd consider it as well :(

• 1 month later...

I use Shiira, and I just installed Camino today on a friend's suggestion. Shiira is just fast, and I like the miniShiira widget (it's so cool). Camino is also fast and I like the built in ad-blocker (that's the only reason I had used FF before). Both look good and are pretty stable as far as I can see. I've never like Opera, I think it is ugly and it has always run much slower than any of my other browsers, whether it was on OSX or XP.

wow shiira is amazing !

fast as hell, and the best thing about it is that i don't have to tweak the hebrew fonts !

you have no idea how horrible it is to tweak the fonts every time you install firefox/camino/safari, even in windows... and here comes shiira and it just works perfect !

thanks...

now i have to wait until i get home and use it on my laptop as well... :whistle:

to those of you whose saying that firefox is ugly, are u referring to the widgets? where its all boxy and not aqua-like compared to the likes of safari and camino? anyway, here's a good firefox build for the mac intel

http://www.beatnikpad.com/archives/2006/06/04/firefox-1504 which has a better looking widgets compared to the official build.

the builds are compiled with firefoxy or aqua interface. It will definitely look better than the normal firefox. Don't know how to explain it. Just give it a spin. Its a lot more snappier than the official universal build.

were (or is it just me ?) talking about the fact that firefox under OSX is sluggish as hell... browsing a site with flash is the closest thing to hell... while on safari it's smooth...

some people have offered using shiira as a firefox replacement and it's really really awsome...

by the way, the builds you have offered don't seem to work on my install...

don't know why...

I'm using the latest version of firefox in OS X, and I like it a lot better than safari. It seems to be a lot more stable and faster than any other browser I've used. I'm with rogabean on this one, I dislike the safari look, and love the firefox look.