[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

I think "2.66 GHz Intel® Core™ i7 920 CPU" is the name that's hard-coded into the chip, whereas "About This Mac" actually tries to calculate the speed (incorrectly, in our case).

On my previous install, with chameleon 1 and iPC 10.5.6, "About this Mac" showed the correct processor info "2.66 GHz Intel® Core™ i7 920 CPU" (using DD script too).

nabziF99,

Thank you for that log. That was revealing. I found the problem and will upload an update shortly (tonight).

My apologies for the trouble.

kind regards,

MAJ

Thank you for your personal attention to this. Talk about fast - try getting a response that quick from say, Apple :P

Alas -- same error. I erased the partition, downloaded the new script, ran each step...and while the chown/chmod errors didn't appear in the log this time, I still end up with the boot0: error.

What on earth could be the cause...it's not because my drives are so large is it (1.5TB)?

I'm still fairly green with all this (I intend to build my first system in the next few weeks and I am reading everything I can to get a good feel of what hardware to buy and how to proceed)...

What would be a proper install sequence with DD's script if one wanted to use the Boot Think bootloader (see this thread for additional info) instead of Chameleon?

This thing looks promising...

Colddiver

Yeah i guess it's "3.2Ghz Unknown", my OS is in french so I translated "3.2ghz inconnu". When i switch my system to english language and restart, the About box still shows "3.2ghz inconnu" in french...

My i7 920 is not overclocked, still at 2.66ghz, and i use the chameleon 2.0 bootloader.

That's weird because when i use your script (v3.7) to change the Processor info, it already says : "Your current Processor info is: 2.66 GHz Intel® Core™ i7 920 CPU"...

And yes I'm working on the correct drive.

Maybe i should boot on a other OS X partition before running the script (i have an iPC 10.5.6 backup partition) ?

Thanks for your help DD :)

The script actually looks for the word, "Unknown" in English, so that's likely why it's not able to do a find/replace for the processor info. I'll add "inconnu" as part of the search. Is that the correct spelling? Any other marks or accents?

Are there any other languages I can account for that are equivalent to the English word "Unknown"?

I might see if I can implement this change differently, so that it will work regardless of language.

Thank you for your personal attention to this. Talk about fast - try getting a response that quick from say, Apple :)

Alas -- same error. I erased the partition, downloaded the new script, ran each step...and while the chown/chmod errors didn't appear in the log this time, I still end up with the boot0: error.

What on earth could be the cause...it's not because my drives are so large is it (1.5TB)?

That's really disappointing.

The BIOS clearly can't see the bootloader, but can see the installed bootloader for your iDeneb install.

There are only three possibilities: The bootloader install is failing, drive activation is failing, or the BIOS is looking in the wrong place.

Have you tried installing the older bootloader, v1012, for kicks? After doing that, see if you can select the iDeneb install from it, or select the new install from the iDeneb bootloader.

L3B3R,

Thanks for the pwnapple theme!

I read the readme and now know what the logo is about. :D

kind regards,

MAJ

Ok... I believe I have my list of components completed. I am shooting for the following config:

• LIAN LI PC-V1200Bplus II Case
  • CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Power Supply
  • GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P Motherboard
  • Intel Core i7 920
  • EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 Video Card - Retail
  • 2 x CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 SDRAM
  • SAMSUNG SH-S223L SATA DVD Burner
  • 2 x Western Digital Caviar Black Hard Drives
  • SABRENT CRW-UINB 68-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader
  • COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP CPU Cooler

I am still unclear as to the best procedure to get the GeForce GTX 285 working from a scripted install. From what I gathered, it looks like I will need to install the EVGA drivers on Mac OS X 10.5.7 and run the netkas injector afterwards and follow the scripted process as described in the original post.

I plan to order everything within the next 2-3 weeks (waiting for the next pay check!). If you see anything wrong with this build (things that will not work under Mac OS X - such as the internal card reader maybe?), please let me know. If you have any tips on installation (i.e. such as best way to get the GTX 285 working painlessly), I would certainly appreciate them.

This is a very nice thread and many thanks to Digital Dreamer for making this script. When I started researching this, I ended up looking at the EFI-X boot chip. Thank god I found this thread soon after!

Colddiver

^^^ sounds expansive

Not compared to the equivalent Mac... My last one was a PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8. I thought that this one would have possibilities for expansion and would last me a long time. A month later, Apple announced the switch to Intel. I planned to buy a new one soon (life on a G5 isn't all that great anymore) and I wasn't too impressed with the offering. This setup should get me close to Mac Pro 8-core performance for half the price... Not a bad deal I would think! :)

Colddiver

Hi D_D, long time newbie lurker who finally registered to ask some questions I should have started asking sooner (eyes start to glaze after 90 pages):

My build:

GA-EX58-UD3R (uses most of the same chipset, outside of the audio)

i7 920 2.66 Ghz

OCZ 6GB 12800 DDR3

2x WD 500GB Cav. Black SATA (plugged into Blue Sata not GA's Sata port) [1 for WIN, 1 for OSX]

Samsung 24x Sata DVD (plugged into Blue Sata not GA's)

nVidia GTX 285 1GB

Current Supplies:

X58 Mobo Patch Installer.zip (from this thread, does this need to be on dvd or can it be on a USB?)

MacOSXupdCombo10.5.7.dmg (from the Apple Site)

Retail DVD (from the Apple store)

NVIDIA_Retail_Mac_Driver_Installer_18.5.2f16.mpkg.zip (from netkas)

Enabler_for_Nvidia_and_multiple_ATI_cards.pkg (from netkas )

Coming soon:

Vista 64 Ultimate (I need it for work (bleagh))

I know I'm not all the way there yet. Can someone please correct my steps (trying to document for a similar build instruction as on the Wiki )

The important caveat for me is that I don't have an additional Mac system nearby, so the base assumptions for a lot of the instructions make it hard for me. This is all fresh hardware, no installs anywhere.

1. Locate .iso of [boot132|slimbuild|???] for booting retail.

2. Boot DVD, format 1st sata drive as GUID HFs+ active partition

3. Run script

a. install bootloader step 2

b. install retail dvd

c. install 10.5.7 update (how? does it need to be on dvd or will usb work?)

d. install kexts

e. update boot cache

f. install dsdt

g. modify plist (more of a concern with the evenutal dual boot)

h. modify mac details (which ones are best for getting software update to behave properly?)

4. Reboot

Questions:

1. I'm pretty sure I need an additional step to get the GTX 285 graphic settings correct. Either to replace natit or change the efi settings. Recommendation?

2. How does the script install the 10.5.7 combo updater?

3. Is there a prefered .iso for this mobo for someone without access to a Mac.

Thanks, and the thread is awesome, but is a little overwhelming with information for so many different builds. I'm going to work from complete newbie mode and document everything for a step-by-step.

Hi D_D, long time newbie lurker who finally registered to ask some questions I should have started asking sooner (eyes start to glaze after 90 pages):

My build:

GA-EX58-UD3R (uses most of the same chipset, outside of the audio)

i7 920 2.66 Ghz

OCZ 6GB 12800 DDR3

2x WD 500GB Cav. Black SATA (plugged into Blue Sata not GA's Sata port) [1 for WIN, 1 for OSX]

Samsung 24x Sata DVD (plugged into Blue Sata not GA's)

nVidia GTX 285 1GB

Current Supplies:

X58 Mobo Patch Installer.zip (from this thread, does this need to be on dvd or can it be on a USB?)

MacOSXupdCombo10.5.7.dmg (from the Apple Site)

Retail DVD (from the Apple store)

NVIDIA_Retail_Mac_Driver_Installer_18.5.2f16.mpkg.zip (from netkas)

Enabler_for_Nvidia_and_multiple_ATI_cards.pkg (from netkas )

Coming soon:

Vista 64 Ultimate (I need it for work (bleagh))

I know I'm not all the way there yet. Can someone please correct my steps (trying to document for a similar build instruction as on the Wiki )

The important caveat for me is that I don't have an additional Mac system nearby, so the base assumptions for a lot of the instructions make it hard for me. This is all fresh hardware, no installs anywhere.

1. Locate .iso of [boot132|slimbuild|???] for booting retail.

2. Boot DVD, format 1st sata drive as GUID HFs+ active partition

3. Run script

a. install bootloader step 2

b. install retail dvd

c. install 10.5.7 update (how? does it need to be on dvd or will usb work?)

d. install kexts

e. update boot cache

f. install dsdt

g. modify plist (more of a concern with the evenutal dual boot)

h. modify mac details (which ones are best for getting software update to behave properly?)

4. Reboot

Questions:

1. I'm pretty sure I need an additional step to get the GTX 285 graphic settings correct. Either to replace natit or change the efi settings. Recommendation?

2. How does the script install the 10.5.7 combo updater?

3. Is there a prefered .iso for this mobo for someone without access to a Mac.

Thanks, and the thread is awesome, but is a little overwhelming with information for so many different builds. I'm going to work from complete newbie mode and document everything for a step-by-step.

You really need to get a install of kalaway running on a seperate drive first then you use the script to install to a diffrent drive It worked fine with my UD3r I just removed the audio kexts.

Hi All !

first of all, thanks and bravo for this tutorials, this is really great work !

I still have one problem here.

I followed the first tuto (DD's) on the first page.

Everything went fine (i'm using another mac to install retail+10.5.7)

One question already :

When it comes to use DSDT patcher, it says it must be done on the real machine (pc in my case) and not the mac as long as it's about the hardware itself, which makes sense to me. So i decided to wait to boot on the pc to run DSDT patcher.

Am i right about that ?

Anyway, I put my HD into my PC and my big problem appears :

(i7 920 - Gigabyte EX58-UD5 - Sapphire HD4870 1Go Vapor-X)

Boot is ok, i have the chameleon, then the boot screen, and a beautiful black screen !!!

HD is working, i know it's loading the mac osx presentation, user creation, etc...

I even tried to boot on a real macpro and it works like a charm.

So i assume it has to do with my VAPOR-X driver (which is either not loaded or not present)

I don't quite understand why i don't have at least a low-res image instead of no signal (VGA/HDMI/DVI all works on bios, chameleon, beginning of the boot process and suddenly goes to sleep)

I tried several HD4870 drivers, but nothing seems to load actually, and i still have a dark screen.

Shoudln't I have at least a low res image, just so that i can try and find the right driver ?

Is there a special command line in the chameleon options to achieve that ?

If anybody could help me with that... Any help would be much appreciated, (let's hoping i'm asking in the right post for that...)

Juxtron

Ok... I believe I have my list of components completed. I am shooting for the following config:
  • LIAN LI PC-V1200Bplus II Case
  • CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Power Supply
  • GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P Motherboard
  • Intel Core i7 920
  • EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 Video Card - Retail
  • 2 x CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 SDRAM
  • SAMSUNG SH-S223L SATA DVD Burner
  • 2 x Western Digital Caviar Black Hard Drives
  • SABRENT CRW-UINB 68-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader
  • COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP CPU Cooler

Your list is quite similar to what I got. I have a Corsair 850TX 850W Power Supply and I'm not sure how different it is to the 750 but I suspect it's the cause of a kind of scratchy sound problem I have. It's not much of a problem cause I'm running an overclocked system but when I run with factory settings (normal voltage and not overclocked) I get scratchy sound on my speakers that are plugged into my computer through line out to amplifiers. Works fine when overclocked.

The only other thing I'd recommend paying careful attention to in your purchase is your cooler. I went with a Scythe Mugen 2 based on reviews at xbitlabs.com. My machine run's very quiet and the processors can be kept very cool.

I got everything working using Digital_Dreamer's method except for Airport.

It is detected and I can connect to a network, but my computer freezes about 15 seconds after I connect, and I have to force reboot to get it working again. I have a D-Link DWA-542 card.

I tried to read through all the pages to see if this has been asked before, but 91 pages is just too much :/

Edit: Actually, I think it freezes after I use the Internet for a few seconds.

I got everything working using Digital_Dreamer's method except for Airport.

It is detected and I can connect to a network, but my computer freezes about 15 seconds after I connect, and I have to force reboot to get it working again. I have a D-Link DWA-542 card.

I tried to read through all the pages to see if this has been asked before, but 91 pages is just too much :/

Edit: Actually, I think it freezes after I use the Internet for a few seconds.

get a wireless bridge-20$ on ebay.

alright everyone, i've figured what was wrong with my 10.5.7 install and the modifications i've been doing with wolfinuke's script and now I'm going to share it all with you...

this means a new improved WolfiNuke's script for 10.5.7 which includes Chameleon 2 ir1.

first of all let me just say thanks to the following members who shared their wisdom with me or with all of us enough so i could figure out what was wrong with it.

thank you Maj for answering my PMs even though you didn't have to.

thanks RickyTan whom without his script and the conclusions i couldn't have solved the Chameleon 2 problem.

and last but not least, thanks Wolfi for the amazing script.

ok so here it goes, few simple rules:

normal install rules apply, install from a different disk a clean 10.5.x and update to 10.5.7, only then install the package.

there are no kernels in this package, add your own to the "Kernel" directory.

i've made a bit of a mishmash from the Extensions, again you may replace or add whatever to the "Extensions" directory.

efi strings still go on the efistring.txt file.

i've you're installing the new driver package for one of them new nvidia cards (gtx200) make sure that you download and install all the drivers outside of the efi partitions meaning, don't add them to "Extensions" it wouldn't work. just install eveything including the injector to your sys/lib/ext folder.

the modified package contains Chameleon 2 ir1 from DD's package, but it also contains munkey's boot loader, don't worry it will not install.

any boot theme modifications got to "Bootloader".

the script installs a bunch of stuff and makes caches on the efi partition.

also the package works with x58-ds4.

i didn't include any injectors nor did i include sound kexts that i know are working since i have an external sound card so i'm not really affected by all these sound kext changes. just add your own.

even if you're only updating the efi partition never use the option update, i didn't go bazerker and changed all the script so i have no idea if it'll work. just use install instead.

busratio=20 removed from script due to vanilla kernel.

last thing, the model identifier shows MacPro2,1 and the memory shows all the memory but on 667mhz.

i have no idea how to change that or what happens if i do change that. if anyone has any info to share with my on the subject, please do.

-------------------------------------------------------

if anyone can test it out and tell me if it's working all be thankful, also please edit whatever i left out like putting some real fresh kexts. these are the ones that worked for me, they'll probably work for you too still i think they're a bit outdated...

package can be downloaded from:

http://rapidshare.com/files/246454181/EFI_Boot_Installer_v3.1.zip

get a wireless bridge-20$ on ebay.

Is that the only solution? Because my parents won't let me buy anything :/

More info: The Airport logo in the status bar looks like it's off, but it says "AirPort: Not configured" when you click on it. Also, when booting, there's a message "Error: No interface name for AirPort_Athr542ab"

Edit: I got it working! I installed the iDeneb Atheros driver from here:http://www.mediafire.com/?vtvrfzdit1p

AirPort still shows up as not configured in my menubar, but I'm fine with that.

I am still unclear as to the best procedure to get the GeForce GTX 285 working from a scripted install. From what I gathered, it looks like I will need to install the EVGA drivers on Mac OS X 10.5.7 and run the netkas injector afterwards and follow the scripted process as described in the original post.

I installed a 285 in my Dad's machine. First, follow DD's scripted install of the OS, followed by 10.5.7. Next, install the latest Mac 285 drivers from EVGA's website, and then Netkas' injector.

When I first tried this, I mistakenly assumed that the 285 drivers were part of 10.5.7, and installed netkas without the drivers (until now, graphics updates have been available exclusively through software update). If you do this, you'll get garbled graphics, so make sure you have both in place before restarting.

NOTE: The package installers referenced above will install to /S/L/E instead of /Extra. This is totally acceptable, since these are third-party kexts (as opposed to modified first-party kexts) and will never interfere with software update.

alright everyone, i've figured what was wrong with my 10.5.7 install and the modifications i've been doing with wolfinuke's script and now I'm going to share it all with you...

this means a new improved WolfiNuke's script for 10.5.7 which includes Chameleon 2 ir1.

first of all let me just say thanks to the following members who shared their wisdom with me or with all of us enough so i could figure out what was wrong with it.

thank you Maj for answering my PMs even though you didn't have to.

thanks RickyTan whom without his script and the conclusions i couldn't have solved the Chameleon 2 problem.

and last but not least, thanks Wolfi for the amazing script.

ok so here it goes, few simple rules:

normal install rules apply, install from a different disk a clean 10.5.x and update to 10.5.7, only then install the package.

package can be downloaded from:

http://rapidshare.com/files/246454181/EFI_Boot_Installer_v3.1.zip

Works very well thanks! :D

But I do have the same problem as with the DD solution: :)

The DVD Player doesn't work at all "error -70017" (I think) It doesn't find the graphic card(!?!?). I played a lot with old kext.... and the best result was that I could start the application but every 3 seconds the picture stopped for 0,4 s.... So I stay under 10.5.6: DVD is working very well, Dolby Digital Output also, Firewire, Stand By ....

(I have a NVidia GTX+)

Works very well thanks! :D

But I do have the same problem as with the DD solution: -_-

The DVD Player doesn't work at all "error -70017" (I think) It doesn't find the graphic card(!?!?). I played a lot with old kext.... and the best result was that I could start the application but every 3 seconds the picture stopped for 0,4 s.... So I stay under 10.5.6: DVD is working very well, Dolby Digital Output also, Firewire, Stand By ....

(I have a NVidia GTX+)

what gtx+? if i can recreate that problem, i could probably fix it...

and help you avoid it.

That's really disappointing.

The BIOS clearly can't see the bootloader, but can see the installed bootloader for your iDeneb install.

There are only three possibilities: The bootloader install is failing, drive activation is failing, or the BIOS is looking in the wrong place.

Have you tried installing the older bootloader, v1012, for kicks? After doing that, see if you can select the iDeneb install from it, or select the new install from the iDeneb bootloader.

kind regards,

MAJ

I think there might be something wrong with that drive.

First, I tried as you suggested: erased, went through install process again but with Chameleon v1012, and the result when I tried to boot from it was similar, but slightly different.

First, the log when installing v1012:

<==================>   Install Bootloaders (pre-patch)   <==================>
Volume Brickhouse mounted and ready.
Installing Chameleon_v1012...
Copying bootloader files:\n stage0 MBR (boot0), stage1 partition boot record (boot1h), and boot file (boot) to Brickhouse - Extra:
2+0 records in
2+0 records out
1024 bytes transferred in 0.010779 secs (95000 bytes/sec)

#### Boot file copied to Brickhouse:
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 root  wheel	 61184 Jun 18 15:47 boot

mkdir: created directory '/Volumes/Brickhouse/Extra'
mkdir: created directory '/Volumes/Brickhouse/Extra/Stored_Kexts'

Copying contents of Chameleon_v1012/Extra to /Volumes/Brickhouse/Extra

and the error when booting from it:

boot0: MBR
boot0: GPT
boot0: HFS+
boot0: error

Now the log when installing Chameleon v2_RC1:

<==================>   Install Bootloaders (pre-patch)   <==================>
Volume Brickhouse mounted and ready.
Installing Chameleon_v2_RC1...
Copying bootloader files:\n stage0 MBR (boot0), stage1 partition boot record (boot1h), and boot file (boot) to Brickhouse - Extra:
2+0 records in
2+0 records out
1024 bytes transferred in 0.002659 secs (385130 bytes/sec)

#### Boot file copied to Brickhouse:
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel	 279168 Jun 18 15:43 boot

mkdir: created directory '/Volumes/Brickhouse/Extra'
mkdir: created directory '/Volumes/Brickhouse/Extra/Stored_Kexts'

Copying contents of Chameleon_v2_RC1/Extra to /Volumes/Brickhouse/Extra

and its boot error:

boot0: testing
boot0: testing

But the reason I suspect the drive is that on a hunch, I tried installing iDeneb (which uses v1012) on the drive. I got a similar error:

boot0: HFS+

I thought uh-oh, now I can't install anything. So I erased the good iDeneb install and reinstalled on that drive; thank goodness that still worked. But I don't want to be stuck with a distro forever, I want retail, and that seems to require 2 drives (one booted from, and one for the retail install), not just 2 partitions on one drive.

Nothing I do seems to get the other drive to boot; I tried all the following:

• made sure the drive is formatted properly: GUID, HFS+ (Journaled), not case-sensitive
  • physically swapped the drives (drive bay/SATA cable/power cable);
  • made a second partition on the drive and tried installing to that to see if maybe some funkiness exists at the beginning of the first partition
  • downloaded and installed the latest Chameleon manually
  • finally, I booted SeaTools for DOS and let that run the long test on the "bad" drive, however it found no bad blocks

Everything results in the boot0: error on that drive, whether I try retail install, or even the distro (that works just fine on the other drive).

I'm at a loss. The drive checks out according to SeaTools, but something about that drive just doesn't like bootloaders I guess. At this point I guess the only thing I can do is get a new hard drive, but in the meantime..any other ideas? :unsure:

what gtx+? if i can recreate that problem, i could probably fix it...

and help you avoid it.

NVidia 9800 GTX+ 512 MB RAM

Test with diff kernel:

Voodoo2_alpha3_9.7.0 => Leopard doesn't start (it boots but it hangs after 10 sec. )

Vanilla 9.7.0 => Leopard starts but DVD Player not (hardware error)

Voodoo based XNU 9.7 kernel by qoopz => Every things is OK but DVDs (as ISO files) decoding stops every 3 sec. (other video like AVI/MOV are working great)

I think I will wait for 10.5.8 or for snow leopard 10.6... My 10.5.6 is working so well...

NVidia 9800 GTX+ 512 MB RAM

Test with diff kernel:

Voodoo2_alpha3_9.7.0 => Leopard doesn't start (it boots but it hangs after 10 sec. )

Vanilla 9.7.0 => Leopard starts but DVD Player not (hardware error)

Voodoo based XNU 9.7 kernel by qoopz => Every things is OK but DVDs (as ISO files) decoding stops every 3 sec. (other video like AVI/MOV are working great)

I think I will wait for 10.5.8 or for snow leopard 10.6... My 10.5.6 is working so well...

try using aty_init.kext with the package of drivers from netkas (evga fixed) but outside the efi partition.

I think there might be something wrong with that drive.

<snip>

I have a 1TB drive and haven't experienced any issues with it.

Makes me wonder if there's a size limitation in the bootloaders, which I strongly doubt.

Which SATA port and controller is this drive connected to, again?

MAJ

DD,

I first wanted to thank you for providing all of this information for us; it really is awesome!

I just wanted to make a comment on your tutorial and then ask a couple quick questions. I must first apologize if some of these questions have been answered already. If you would be willing to add a couple notes in the first post like your updates to address these minor issues, it'd definitely help out a ton. I've read about 45 pages of posts and replies and my eyes are starting to lose their ability to focus; so I'm throwing in the towel and just asking.

First: Your post alludes several times to being able to perform at least options 2 - 7 on another mac (in my case, a MacBook Pro with 'target drive' installed as a usb device). However, in a couple of the steps, specifically option 2 and option 7, I'm afraid that my lack of knowledge on the subject is going to break something that should already work (ie, my MacBook).

So question 1: In option 2, will making my 'target' volume active make my existing MacBook Pro drive inactive? If so, how do I go about completing this process?

Question 2: In running option 7, Run DSDT patcher, you provided a nice bold, red warning for us newbs: "...only run this installer on the Mac hardware it's intended for! DO NOT install this if you are running this installer on different hardware..." So my question is, due to the fact that I am running it on different hardware...what do I do? Should I just skip this step?

Thanks SO much for your help (or anyone else who probably already knows the answers to these questions)!!

Cyremex

try using aty_init.kext with the package of drivers from netkas (evga fixed) but outside the efi partition.

OK I'll try that.. I hope I will have time to test it tomorrow... Thx for the help

I have a 1TB drive and haven't experienced any issues with it.

Makes me wonder if there's a size limitation in the bootloaders, which I strongly doubt.

Which SATA port and controller is this drive connected to, again?

MAJ

Perhaps its hard drive is not GUID formatted?

Having also 3x 1TB (and with Leopard on each HD) I don't have any boot problem too

So question 1: In option 2, will making my 'target' volume active make my existing MacBook Pro drive inactive? If so, how do I go about completing this process?

Question 2: In running option 7, Run DSDT patcher, you provided a nice bold, red warning for us newbs: "...only run this installer on the Mac hardware it's intended for! DO NOT install this if you are running this installer on different hardware..." So my question is, due to the fact that I am running it on different hardware...what do I do? Should I just skip this step?

A1: the drive is active as soon as you put it in your pc. If 2 drives are set active the first on the SATA bus will start. And the first on your MBP is the one in your laptop and it will ALWAYS starts first. So don't be afraid.

A2: I think (but I'm not sure) you can not do this! You need to be on your PC with a special MAC OS X to patch the other MAC OS X.

<snip>

Cyremex

Drive activation only affects the drive itself and sets a flag telling the BIOS which drive to boot. None of this info will affect real Macs that don't boot from the BIOS, AFAIK.

Currently, you can just skip this step. Most motherboards, including Gigabyte series, will boot fine without this file. This may not always be the case in the future, so we'll have to keep an eye on this progress. ASUS boards have issues and require changing BIOS settings for boot, then changing it back when the file is installed.

Best of wishes,

MAJ