iWork '09 trojan beware!

^_^

99 posts in this topic

But Apple has shipped out a paid product itself that had a virus before. But instead of admitting full blame first, they took a jab at windows and then admitted blame, which shows their level of maturity. The reaction from Apple fanboi's? Let's blame Microsoft instead of Apple.

We had an interesting discussion on that before here, but I don't know if it died in a board takeover or what. Hell, I don't even remember what I said in it.

Just gonna throw out my opinion real quick. I agree it isn't apples fault, not much they can do to stop something like that. Then again I see the other side where most attacks on windows systems happen the same way. (Don't have any statistics but this is speaking from my experience.) I'm just interested to see if stuff like this happens more often, seems most mac users say their operating system is more secure by design, naysayers scream "Security by obscurity".

Whatever happens it still was/is a significant attack IMO 20,000+ users infected within the day, whether apple's fault or not is significant.

People are free to express whatever opinions they wish about a company. Microsoft released their first stuff back in the late 1970's - think that stops anyone from bashing them?

Opinions must be based on something, not thin air. At least in my book. This discusion is over for me (let's stick to the topic).

Since any desktop OS must always have an option (admin/root account) to let at least one user do whatever they want (something that is necessary and unavoidable), there's no way the OS can protect the user from himself from every possible thing the user decides to do, install or run.

Getting "infected" with a trojan that came along with a piece of software from an untrusted source that the user installed is ultimately the user's fault and not the OS's, regardless of if it's Mac OS, Windows, Linux, etc.

This isn't blanket trust in Apple. This is blanket trust in downloading software illegally from a "trusted torrent site." There is a huge difference here, as the $79 iWork CD doesn't have this trojan.
That's what I'm saying, A Nonny Moose, fellow PPC user (Mac Mini)! If people aren't buying their Mac software, karma is going to get em, on one level or another.

I agree with people that it's not Apple's fault but... in the unlikely event that some virulent virus somehow breaches Leopard's defences, without need of the user entering their admin password, and spreads from Mac to Mac... it does become Apple's problem. One thing I find strange, why would people download iWork from a torrent site, rather than the trial from Apple? It's that blanket trust that I find stupifying. Hopefully those people are wide awake, now, and will buy iLife09 at $79. It costs $169 for the Mac Box Set, which comprises of single user editions of iWork09, iLife09 and Leopard, or $229 for the family pack version of the same, which seems like money well spent. You're virtually getting iWork for free!

Here's a thought, in these recessionary times. I am a borderline Mac fanboy but... do any of the people downloading iWork over the torrents actually need it, when you could use Neo Office, instead, which is free and highly regarded? Do you need iLife, when iPhoto is the only app from the suite that you are likely to use with any regularity, when you could instead use the free Mac version of Picassa (which hopefully can be skinned because it surrrrre looks ugly, cough) and Video Lan Player, which will play DVDs from any region. I know The Gimp isn't photoshop, but you can get a Photoshop GUI shell for it, I'm told, and it probably does everything you need.

You guys are serious?? You say its the user's fault who downloaded the pirated software and installed to their computer?Ok so windows xp and every windows are really safe if you dont install anything!

One of the most serious jobs of an OS must be to warn and protect the system from anything harmful is being installed or being put in it.

Of course apple has done a great job so far as there is no need for most users to run antivirus software in their mac os.

But well which company can be 100% virus clean??There isnt and there wont be..

@ohoo: Question: "You say its the user's fault who downloaded the pirated software and installed to their computer?"

Answare: No, was actualy Steve Jobs (or maybe Bill Gates?!?!?) that loged in remote to your Mac and downloaded pirated iWork 09 and installed it...

Your remark: "One of the most serious jobs of an OS must be to warn and protect the system from anything harmful is being installed or being put in it."

My remark: I don't want to say something about your thinking... but you know, a program that comunicate over internet is your torrent client too, why not block it withing the OS?

And now, after reading lot of replys here, i just wonder...

LOL! How stupid YOU could be to say it's Apple's fault that YOU downloaded and installed a software provided by a dude that just wanted to make fun of you?!?!?

No one say pirated software is always clean... there are lots of windows software on torrents that are NOT clean. It is Microsoft's fault that there are that software? NO(!) it is not... it's user's fault that use suck software.

So stop fking arround and buy the original... cuz more than 95% of problems with computers happend because users are stupid...

you overlooked something.

it's a difference if a virus or trojan executes itself due to scripts or anything else without the user interacting.

but installing a virus by hand can never be prevented by the system, a virus is just a program like any other program

Ok so windows xp and every windows are really safe if you dont install anything!

One of the most serious jobs of an OS must be to warn and protect the system from anything harmful is being installed or being put in it.

No OS can see the difference between, say your word processor and a trojan; or between a virus and a bittorrent client; or between a worm and an antivirus; or ... you get the point. That is, unless the OS has an internal virus/trojan/worm database, which will be obsolete by the time the OS ships anyway. The OS only knows that a program is trying to run and that's what an OS basically does; letting programs run. The best thing that it can do is prevent main system files from being replaced. I don't think your car would warn you if you light a flamethrower in it... :)

That said, yes, all Operating Systems *are* really safe if you don't install anything, don't connect to the internet, and don't hook up any external data storage devices to it. Or, you could just buy original software (and don't connect to the internet, that's a must). :angel:

LOL! How stupid YOU could be to say it's Apple's fault that YOU downloaded and installed a software provided by a dude that just wanted to make fun of you?!?!?

No one say pirated software is always clean... there are lots of windows software on torrents that are NOT clean. It is Microsoft's fault that there are that software? NO(!) it is not... it's user's fault that use suck software.

So stop fking arround and buy the original... cuz more than 95% of problems with computers happend because users are stupid...

You have bought all of your software?If you havent you are stupid too. But you seem like a clever guy who cant be fooled. And close your transmission pls. There are people who want to make fun of you..

I know its not apples or microsofts fault that somebody installs and runs a downloaded software.maybe i didnt express myself right. i meant about the antivirus protection of the system that an OS must have. But as i said in the end there cant be an OS virus free.

Sorry for my english.

Yeah but people need common sense to do that :)

ROFL! Yea!

@ohoo: Yea, probably you didnt express yourself well... And yes, most of my software is licensed (as I am webdesigner and my company pay for my software)... I know not all ppl afford to buy all the software they use, but if you open your eyes wide before you get and install something it's a good ideea. Keep your firewall on and set, get MacScan is a good ideea too... and so on... You have a brain, use it...

Wow I thought macs could not get viruses XD

Just poking fun, thats what people get for downloading pirated software........................*closes torrent program*

trojan aint viruses. accroding to webopedia the term of trojan were "A destructive program that masquerades as a benign application. Unlike viruses, Trojan horses do not replicate themselves but they can be just as destructive. One of the most insidious types of Trojan horse is a program that claims to rid your computer of viruses but instead introduces viruses onto your computer."