[How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7)

M J

925 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I am having trouble waking up the machine the SECOND time. The screen does not come up and the fan / lights spins and is up.

However, on first wake it works....

Are you guys able to wake the computer up the second time ?

Success!!!

System:

Asus P6T Standard Motherboard

i7 920 CPU

6 Gb DDR3 RAM

Sapphire PCIe HD3650 512 Mb VRAM Video Card

Sata HD

Sata DVD

I have almost everything working with the retail OS X install.

LAN, Graphics, Software Update, Hyper Threading and all cores working.

I have three issues:

1. Realtek ALC1200 Onboard Audio is giving me problems even after I used Kext Helper to install AppleHDA.kext.

System Profiler, Audio (Built In) shows generic Intel High Definition Audio information.

System Preferences, Sound shows no input/output devices.

2. In System Profiler, Hardware shows "There was an error when gathering this information." It worked before I upgraded to 10.5.6 - Do I even need to fix this?

3. I have Windows 7 on a GUID partition of this HD that is not appearing as a option during boot up.

Success!!!

System:

i7 920 CPU

6 Gb DDR3 RAM

Sata HD

Sata DVD

I have three issues:

1. Realtek ALC1200 Onboard Audio is giving me problems even after I used Kext Helper to install AppleHDA.kext.

System Profiler, Audio (Built In) shows generic Intel High Definition Audio information.

2. In System Profiler, Hardware shows "There was an error when gathering this information." It worked before I upgraded to 10.5.6 - Do I even need to fix this?

3. I have Windows 7 on a GUID partition of this HD that is not appearing as a option during boot up.

Glad to hear things are working for you. Just curious, are you using chameleon 2 to avoid the bus/speed slowdown issue that people are having? Also, is sleep working ok for you? Sorry to ask off topic questions but its really hard to find information on the non-deluxe board. Incidentally, do you know what the major differences are between the two boards?

Thanks!

Here is the list of files I have in my EFI/Extensions folder

AppleSMBIOS.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

IOFireWireAVC.kext

IOFireWireFamily.kext

IOFireWireIP.kext

IOFireWireSBP2.kext

IOFireWireSerialBusProtocolTransport.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

IOUSBFamily.kext

IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext

LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext

LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

LegacyHDAController.kext

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext

LegacyJMicronATA.kext

Natit.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

System.kext

dsmos.kext

seatbelt.kext

I found with these copied to here then running the update.sh again.

Hotswap on Firewire and USB works perfectly. and the network works perfect also :D

these are after I did the 10.5.6 update

Hi stanza33,

I have P6T Deluxe but cannot get Audio working via EFI/Chameleon.

Can you please post or provide links for download of LegacyHDAConroller.kext, LegacyHDAPlattformDriver.kext and HDAEnabler.kext ?

Cheers

Hi stanza33,

I have P6T Deluxe but cannot get Audio working via EFI/Chameleon.

Can you please post or provide links for download of LegacyHDAConroller.kext, LegacyHDAPlattformDriver.kext and HDAEnabler.kext ?

Cheers

Once you update to 10.5.6 you will have the same as mine.... just copy them from your extensions folder to your /EFI/extensions folder then re run the update.sh script :(

I was waiting on trying Chameleon 2, still basking in the warm glow of my success.

And I haven't had any sleep issues so far.

But I have windows 7 an a partition of this drive that is not showing up at the Darwin prompt so I guess I will have to give it a shot.

I was waiting on trying Chameleon 2, still basking in the warm glow of my success.

And I haven't had any sleep issues so far.

But I have windows 7 an a partition of this drive that is not showing up at the Darwin prompt so I guess I will have to give it a shot.

Thanks for the response. Good luck with getting windows 7 to show up. Would you mind terribly posting back when you try chameleon 2? Also off topic but how is windows 7?

Success!!!

System:

i7 920 CPU

6 Gb DDR3 RAM

Sata HD

Sata DVD

I have three issues:

For sound, you need this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=161430

I got it work with my P6T

Once you update to 10.5.6 you will have the same as mine.... just copy them from your extensions folder to your /EFI/extensions folder then re run the update.sh script :(

I am running on 10.5.7 and do not have these files in my /S/L/E folder. Anyone can post it or send via PM ?

Concerned files are:

LegacyHDAConroller.kext

LegacyHDAPlattformDriver.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

Yes, it is a bit outdated! Unfortunately i don't have time to test a working install method for the 10.5.7. Plus, because of that clock problem, the EFI method should be substituted with the new Chameleon 2.

This guide is still a good starting point since most things are already figured out, maybe somebody will be able to write a guide for the 10.5.7?

I used Digital Dreamer's Gigabyte guide here for 10.5.7 and Chameleon 2:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149505

But I switched the DSDT to use the one generated in this guide, otherwise I got very long pauses on boot-up.

reading through that now but i am so lost how to change it for this board...

ah... 1 more month before i get home to try this... itching to try as so much has improved since i set mine up...

Yes, it is a bit outdated! Unfortunately i don't have time to test a working install method for the 10.5.7. Plus, because of that clock problem, the EFI method should be substituted with the new Chameleon 2.

This guide is still a good starting point since most things are already figured out, maybe somebody will be able to write a guide for the 10.5.7?

I was able to get 10.5.7 working on my Asus Rampage II Extreme Core i7 920 system with some help for your guide.

You're right, much of it is outdated and a 10.5.7 Core i7 guide would be useful to a lot of people. I suppose I could write one and host up some files. The thing that bothers me though is that everyone wants to know exactly what to type, but they don't want to know why they have to type it. I don't know if I want to get into the business of spoon feeding a step by step guide to people who don't want to learn.

That issue aside, here is a basic overview of what I've done. If anyone has successfully installed with your guide should be able to follow this.

1) Setup your bios as described in the guide. It is crucial that you disable hyperthreading and activate only 1 core.

1) Boot from v3 slimbuild image available in this thread, and install with a Leopard retail disc. I used the disc I bought the day Leopard was released, and is version 10.5.0. Anything up to ~10.5.5 should work. There is an incompatibility with the seatbelt.kext on the slimbuild boot image and 10.5.6. More about that in a bit.

2) Leopard will "fail" install at the very last moment due to not being able to activate the installation partition. Ignore this and reboot with the slimbuild disc, this time booting from the hard disk partition instead of your Leopard disc. i.e. bt(0,0)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk0s2.

3) Finish installation. Now you've got a Leopard desktop. At this point I modified the kext in /S/L/E/IONetworkingfamily.kext/Content/Plugins/AppleYukon2.kext/Content/Info.plist as stated in your guide.

Note: You do not *have* to boot with -f. I had problems getting the kext change to be noticed by the system. In order to fix that you can use the touch command. Touch updates the last modified time of the file/directory. There is a process running in OSX that recognizes when this folder has been changed and automatically rebuilds the kext cache for you. This can be accomplished with 'sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions'. You may also want to touch the actual AppleYukon2.kext as well just to be sure. 'touch /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingfamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleYukon2.kext'

4) Download combo updaters from apple.com for both 10.5.6 and 10.5.7. This is necessary because I installed from the 10.5.0 installation DVD. The 10.5.7 updater requires that you are already running at least 10.5.4. If you installed from a newer installation DVD than I did, you could theoretically skip straight to the 10.5.7 combo updater.

Important: Once you download the combo updaters, mount both disk images and copy the combo updater .pkg file out of them and into a safe place. Remember that seatbelt.kext incompatibility with 10.5.6 I mentioned earlier? If you don't do this you'll just get a kernel panic every time you try to mount the 10.5.7 updater image from 10.5.6.

5) Install the 10.5.6 updater and reboot. Boot from the slimbuild disc again. The first time you boot the system will do some things, and then reboot on it's own. A lot of people refer to this as a failure, but it's part of the combo updater process. My genuine Mac Pro does the same thing when being updated. It's just part of the process.

Reboot the second time and you should be back at the desktop. It might take a while to boot at this point, and you won't have any network interfaces again. This is because the 10.5.6 updater overwrote your kext changes to AppleYukon2.kext.

From here you have a few things left to do and the order doesn't matter too much;

5b) Run the dsdt patcher as described in the guide. In order to get it to work, I had to use the -f flag. i.e. 'DSDT\ Patcher -f', then 'DSDT\ Patcher -f Debug/dsdt.dsl'. Copy the dsdt.aml file to /DSDT.aml and you're done.

5c) Re-patch the ethernet Yukon2 kext if you need to download something.

5d) Install the 10.5.7 combo updater.

6) Install Chameleon 2 RC1 431. This is a point-click-ship affair, all you have to do is double click the icon and hit continue a couple times. Chameleon creates a directory called /Extra off your root. The only thing that really *has* to be there to boot the vanilla 10.5.7 kernel (which is what you want) is the dsmos.kext and the injector kexts automatically installed by Chameleon. You can experiment with different kernel extensions from the EFI_Pack attached to this guide.

I myself am using;

a) the 3 injector kexts installed by Chameleon

:D dsmos.kext

c) AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext

7) Reboot your computer and enable all cores + hyperthreading in the bios. This time boot from Chameleon, just hit enter on the Apple option.

7a) You'll need to re-patch your Yukon2 kext for networking again since the 10.5.7 updater overwrote your changes. Use the touch method to update the cache and/or reboot.

7b) Install the AppleHDA.kext as per the guide for sound. You can use the touch method described earlier to bring up audio without even having to reboot.

7c) If you have problems with kexts or getting hardware to work, go to the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and add the flags -v -f to the flags section of the file. This will force chameleon to boot with -v -f when you select normal bootup. Remove those options once you have things working the way you want.

That's about it. I could go more in depth if necessary, or create a new thread I suppose with more detailed information. I learned a lot of things along the way that people might find useful. It's probably a good idea to get it documented before I forget it all.

Dan

I also managed to get 10.5.7 running on vanilla P6T, with chameleon 2.0rc1.

In order to install I used my existing evga x58 i7 machine (10.5.7), but any mac/hackintosh will do. You also need retail 10.5 and DD's script from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149505

Used DD's script to install chameleon 2.0rc1 bootloader on a new empty hdd (option 2/3 in DD's script) . Then used DD's script to install 10.5.1 retail (option 4). Updated it manually with a 10.5.7 combo update afterwards. Removed manually AppleTyMCEDriver.kext from /S/L/E (I know, but I want MacPro4,1).

Deleted kernels present in DD's script, vanilla 9.7.0 that comes with 10.5.7 is all we need.

Added necessary / removed unnecessary kexts to/from DD's script and installed them on my new hdd in /Extra. My end kexts were (LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage, IONetworkingFamily, RealtekR1000, Disabler, dsmos, OpenHaltRestart and UUID). Updated boot caches using DD's script (option 6).

Modified plist (busratio=20 flag, added verbose removed quiet, graphics), mac model name and cpu info using DD's script (options 8, 9, 10 in DD script).

Downloaded universal injector from netkas and nvidia gtx kexts from netkas, installed them on this new drive (installs in /s/l/e).

http://netkas.org/?p=105

http://netkas.org/?p=104

Moved hdd to P6T, disabled HT and enabled 1 cpu in BIOS, booted with cpus=1 busratio=20. That took a while (5+ minutes). At some point I thought it hang, but it actually booted.

I tried doing DSDT patch using DD's script, but it did not work (previously worked for my evga x58 though).

So I did step E. [patch your DSDT] of the tutorial in this thread, page 1.

But instead of "./DSDT\ Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl" I had to do "./DSDT\ Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl -f"

Former one did not produce valid DSDT.aml

Moved DSDT.aml to /Extra.

Rebooted, enabled HT and all cores in BIOS, booted in without any extra flags (just busratio=20 listed in boot.plist).

Now I have all cores present, both of my nvidia gtx 260s are visible (with qe/ci), chameleon 2.0rc1 working fine (no problem with clock).

The only problem at the moment is I don't have sound, but I haven't tried looking for correct kexts.

Hope this helps someone.

Moved DSDT.aml to /Extra.

Rebooted, enabled HT and all cores in BIOS, booted in without any extra flags (just busratio=20 listed in boot.plist).

I left my DSDT.aml in the / directory. I guess it doesn't matter where you put it.

The only problem at the moment is I don't have sound, but I haven't tried looking for correct kexts.

Use the AppleHDA.kext included in this thread (attached in the first post) and install it. Permissions can be set via;

chown -R 0:0 AppleHDA.kext

chmod -R 755 AppleHDA.kext

Also, the reason it hangs for ~4-5 minutes on bootup is it fails to assign a UUID to the system because of the lack of on-board LAN functionality. It uses part of the MAC address of the first ethernet interface to generate the UUID. It should be trivial to create a legacyAppleYukon2.kext with a Plist.info file to alleviate that and allow for on-board LAN to function more easily during the installation/upgrade process.

D

Kernel Panic on Shutdown / Leo 10.5.7

Hi all,

have a strange problem on Asus P6T Deluxe:

- did a clean install of Leo 10.5.7

- running vanilla kernel 9.7.0

- managed to use EFI/Chameleon 2 and putting all specific kexts into EFI

- the only adjusted kext in /S/L/E is AppleHDA.kext from this forum.

Overall everything works fine, however the system shutdown is not working:

- I am receiving by shutdown a small window saying in 4 languages to hold power button to restart or something similar

Interesting enough the sleep had never worked for me => it goes to sleep without a problem, however wake-up is coming only to the light-blue graphical screen but not going any further. No KP, just nothing.

Apart of these tho issues everything is working just fine.

Any ideas how to solve Shutdown issue are appreciated.

Thanx Dan Hammans for the quick guide. However, the OSX disk I bought was 10.5.6 do I need to return it and find something older? or is there a work around.

Actually I think having the 10.5.6 dvd is preferable. You have two options that I can see;

A) Rebuild the slimboot disc without the seatbelt.kext mod.

:) Extract the 10.5.7 combo updater .pkg with another computer/windows and put it on a USB thumb drive or burn it to a CD.

I think I will put together a full tutorial.

Actually I think having the 10.5.6 dvd is preferable. You have two options that I can see;

:whistle: Extract the 10.5.7 combo updater .pkg with another computer/windows and put it on a USB thumb drive or burn it to a CD.

that would be really appreciated... is this going to be based on dd method or based on this method mainly???

i have done so much reading lately...

:) Extract the 10.5.7 combo updater .pkg with another computer/windows and put it on a USB thumb drive or burn it to a CD.

I think I will wait for your tutorial since the way I do it now I get stuck @ still waiting for root device

Kernel Panic on Shutdown / Leo 10.5.7

Hi all,

have a strange problem on Asus P6T Deluxe:

- did a clean install of Leo 10.5.7

- running vanilla kernel 9.7.0

- managed to use EFI/Chameleon 2 and putting all specific kexts into EFI

- the only adjusted kext in /S/L/E is AppleHDA.kext from this forum.

Overall everything works fine, however the system shutdown is not working:

- I am receiving by shutdown a small window saying in 4 languages to hold power button to restart or something similar

Interesting enough the sleep had never worked for me => it goes to sleep without a problem, however wake-up is coming only to the light-blue graphical screen but not going any further. No KP, just nothing.

Apart of these tho issues everything is working just fine.

Any ideas how to solve Shutdown issue are appreciated.

Hey Dummy15,

I'm no expert, but just a thought, what are you using for graphics? Trying to think of what you'd have on your system hardware wise that might stop the shutdown, and I know that it can adversly affect sleep as well. Did you check console for error messages?

Dan, thanks so much for your guide (and looking forward to the "Complete Edition"!). And, of course, thanks MJ for the original one.

I have one small question: to install Chameleon (or, more specifically, MacLoader) did you have to make a 200mb partition like this guide says?

Or your method takes a different route? (Sorry if that's clear for the savvy, but I'm still finding my way through the HUGE load of info on this place...)

Thanks again! Cheers

Dan, thanks so much for your guide (and looking forward to the "Complete Edition"!). And, of course, thanks MJ for the original one.

I have one small question: to install Chameleon (or, more specifically, MacLoader) did you have to make a 200mb partition like this guide says?

Or your method takes a different route? (Sorry if that's clear for the savvy, but I'm still finding my way through the HUGE load of info on this place...)

Thanks again! Cheers

I installed Chameleon on the same partition that I installed MacOSX on. You do not need to do anything special to account for the EFI partition with this method.

When you partition a disk as GUID from Disk Utility it automatically creates the EFI partition regardless to conform to standards. Just ignore it and install Chameleon wherever you install MacOSX.