Final solution (FIX) for GMA950 Desktop edition - NEW 28 DEC 08

Dr. Hurt

486 posts in this topic

After spending about four days reading as much as I can on this site and others, I seem to feel more stupid than I did when I started.

I installed Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard on my DeskTop and it is working pretty good with the exception of no choices for display. I'm stuck at 1024 X 768.

I know mine is not the first reference to this... I have seen at least two very similar statements on this thread alone. However, regardless of how much education I have, I seem to be totally lost in the language and things being said here on this thread.

My system is:

CPU Type: DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E4400, 2000 MHz (10 X 200)

MOBO: Asus PSG-MX (1 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI - E x16, 2 DDR2 DIMM

MOBO Chipset: Intel Lakeport-G 1945GC

BIOS: AMI (08/02/07)

Video Adapter: Intel® 82945G Express Chipset Family (128 MB)

3D Accelerator: Intel GMA950

Audio Adapter: Realtek ALC662 @ Intel 82801GB ICH7 - High Definition Audio Controller

DIMM1: Kingston 9905316-005 1GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)

I listed the above because as of now my Video has no selectability and is only 1024 X 768 and my Audio doesn't work at all. The video is somewhat distorted as well.. aspect ratio seems to be over sized on the width side.

If I should not be posting this here please delete it and I apologize.

The reason for this post is to hopefully find someone who can tell me where to go (besides down there) to find whatever kexts or other things I need to do to get my video to work properly and my audio. (When I used the word "kext" I am at the limit of my knowledge here. Please help!

Thank you so very much!

Cheers!

The Oowf

OK guys, some updates on my research into the HDMI/DVI problem. Firstly, I tried inserting a number of things into the DSDT file (AAPL01,Pipe , AAPL,HasPanel etc.) but they seemed to do nothing at all.

I've experimented a bit, and found that my Sony HDTV works perfectly (1920x1080p and all resolutions are selectable) when connected to the VGA port of the Hackintosh. This is one solution BTW as most modern HDTVs have VGA ports on them these days. So the control lines (called DDC) are obviously working between the VGA interfaces to read in the TV's capabilities.

I've also found a users manual for a similar version of the GMA950 graphics core which describes the register interface of the core, including how to route the DDC port from the VGA to the DVI/HDMI (SDVO) interfaces. The DDC port is the serial interface which is used to get the EDID information from the TV. This port is controlled internally by the GMBUS (Graphics Management bus) controller

So what we need to do is to re-route the DDC port to the SDVO interface, and hopefully everything will spring into life. This is a far better solution than EDID injection.

Now, not being a DSDT expert, can I ask if someone can give me a hand to advise the commands and location within the DSDT to write to a register inside the GMA950 on bootup?

Here are the details of what we need to do:

Register address offset: 0x5100 (this would be from the GMA950 core PCI base address)

Data: 0x00000305

The above write will set the GMBUS rate to 1MHz (needed for SDVO) and select the sDVO/HDMI pin pair

BTW, the document I am referring to can be found at: http://intellinuxgraphics.org/VOL_3_displa...ers_updated.pdf

What I THINK might happen is that the driver will see there is a DVI device present and then enable the SDVO interface (it may disable the VGA interface at the same time). On the Mac Mini, the VGA interface was part of the DVI-I connector and I'm guessing the VGA DDC lines were used for either analog or digital, depending on which type of display was connected. So another solution might be to connect the DDC lines from the VGA connector into the DVI connector - a bit messy.

Cheers, Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I now have the DVI port of my Hackintosh (GMA950 based) working with 10.6.2 and displaying full resolution on my Sony LCD TV via a DVI-HDMI cable.

The fix I came up with was a hardware hack, and involves connecting the DDC lines from the VGA connector to the equivalent lines on the DVI connector.

The thing I like about the fix is that it is completely native and requires no kext or any other mods. The downside is that it is a messy fix to do and requires some electronics skills.

Let me know if anyone is interested in this, and I will post more details.

One problem I'm still working on now is that if the TV is turned off (or changed to a different source) and then back on again, the screen stays blank. I think other people have had this problem with their minis so it may be a common issue.

Cheers, Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Im am using version 4.2 from the first post but it breaks my connection with the internet... how would I be able to fix that? I have a intel pro/100 VE NIC and the GMA950 patch except for this little problem... anybody have a fix?

thnx

Hi!

I have D945GCLF2 but need to use 800x480 resolutioin (carpc)

When i use normal resolution works, but with switchresx to set resolution to 800x480 gma 950 dont work fine; is any way to add this resolution with this dribver without displayxconfig o switchresx?

Thanks

the listed asus p5gc mx 1333 DSDT works but then i loose wifi!

decided to patch myself and read the tutorial inside patch.zip

looks easy

one problem here:

no "Scope (_SI)" entry in my dsdt file

"Scope (_Somethingelse)" exist and there are many but not _SI

any advice would much appreciated!

edit: solved.

Hi,

I have a MSI Hetis 945 Barebone, which has a GMA950 it has SVHS, DVI+VGA. A monitor is attachted on the VGA Port. I did the DSDT patch for 10.6.2 myself and now for a strange reason I only get the secondary display on my VGA. The other ports a not active.

Is there a way to tell Osx from the start which device is primary?

thanks in advance,

mike

coul someone help me patching my asus p5gc-mx1333?

still couldnt see the Scope_SI tag.. i tried dsdt patcher gui and everything

the first post contains a link to a p5gc dsdt but its not properly patched because sleep doesnt work with sleepenabler 10.6.3

when i just make a dsdt.aml with patcher gui then it works great so i should be right that the listed one is not correctly patched.

thankyou

What are the best resources on building a custom DSDT from scratch? I've extracted the DSDT from my Dell D630, X3100 using Unbuntu. I did this to make sure the base file was pretty clean. I'm looking to get as close to a vanilla install as possible. Right now, everything is working under 10.6.2. I updated to 10.6.3 and lost sleep.

I'm not a programmer, and I usually mess things up quite a bit. I don't really mind, 'cause this is a long term project and I like the challenge.

is this topic dead?

i have another issue.

there is a bios setting where i can share the memory with video ram and i have set it to 128 mb fixed.

snow leo recignizes only 64 mb dedicated vram therefore some applications doesnt start - they require 128 mb.

is there any solution ? maybe dsdt patching?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

is it possible to patch it for work with X4500?

i've tryed replacing device id in hex edition and plist, but all i achieved is only system profiler reports i have GMA 900.

could you guys help us with the development for X4500?

you know there're so many users having troubles with it…So we need ytour help

hi I'm new to all of this. I have a Dell latitude d620 graphics card intell 950gma, kalyway 10.5.2. Basically had every thing working; sound, wireless, usb. But i got cocky and thought I'd try this as a way of fixingthe fuzzy resolution (I only have options of less than 1024x768 and I need 1280x800) after using the next helper to install the kexti rebooted (yes I know i should have performed some intermediate steps but I didn't because I'm an idiot) now I'm at my wits end because when I boot all I get after the apple loading screen is black. please help!

Hello, it worked :|

I tried to create my own, but at the last step the compiler generated the aml file with an error and it did not work. So I tried the v3 bundle (i tried it before after an apple update, got screwed :D )

hi I'm new to all of this. I have a Dell latitude d620 graphics card intell 950gma, kalyway 10.5.2. Basically had every thing working; sound, wireless, usb. But i got cocky and thought I'd try this as a way of fixingthe fuzzy resolution (I only have options of less than 1024x768 and I need 1280x800) after using the next helper to install the kexti rebooted (yes I know i should have performed some intermediate steps but I didn't because I'm an idiot) now I'm at my wits end because when I boot all I get after the apple loading screen is black. please help!

i have a working gma 950 dsdt for d620. find my posts.

Hi guys:

First of all, i installed a Snow Leopard 10.6.2 Hazard Distribution, inmediately after i install sleep/restart/shutdown works perfectly, the only thing that don't work was the GMA950 graphic card (it gives me a Kernel Panic when i put some video on full screen mode). So i download the ASUS p5ld2-vm DSDT.aml patch and putit on the root of the Mac Partition.

It turns out that the Graphic card works perfectly (thanks a lot, for this) but now i'm unable to shutdown the computer, the system goes down normaly but the power leds and the FANs never shutdown. So If I boot in verbose mode when i hit the shutdown button i see a message like:

CPU halted, you can turn off your computer now.

Or something like that, then the monitor goes black but the computer's FAN and leds stay on.

Any suggestions?

Hi guys:

First of all, i installed a Snow Leopard 10.6.2 Hazard Distribution, inmediately after i install sleep/restart/shutdown works perfectly, the only thing that don't work was the GMA950 graphic card (it gives me a Kernel Panic when i put some video on full screen mode). So i download the ASUS p5ld2-vm DSDT.aml patch and putit on the root of the Mac Partition.

It turns out that the Graphic card works perfectly (thanks a lot, for this) but now i'm unable to shutdown the computer, the system goes down normaly but the power leds and the FANs never shutdown. So If I boot in verbose mode when i hit the shutdown button i see a message like:

Or something like that, then the monitor goes black but the computer's FAN and leds stay on.

Any suggestions?

there is a shutdown or restart fix in dsdt section _PTS need to add the SLPE www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780

however the memory address is 1030 for most dells. for yours could be 430

Hi guys:

Any suggestions?

Download the DSDT.aml again, a new fixed one was uploaded. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Update 10:

10.6.2 introduces 64bit drivers for GMA950. They are very buggy and monitor doesn't wake after sleep. This means you can finally use the 64bit kernel and have GMA950 working, although I personally prefer not till Apple updates the driver.

Update 9:

THIS WORKS WITH SNOW LEOPARD. YOU NEED TO BOOT IN 32-BIT MODE BECAUSE DRIVERS DON'T SUPPORT 64-BIT.

Update 8:

I've compiled a list of all prepatched DSDT made by different users for different motherboards. Huge thanks to everyone who contributed.

NB:

This does not work with most Laptops so please stop complaining in this thread.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1-Gigabyte users with similar boards (ie. GA-945GCM-S2L,GA-945GCM-S2C,GA-945GCMX-S2...etc), use V4.2 (updated for better compatibility with 10.5.7) :D

2-Others, Start by searching for your board in the list at the end of post. Try to match at least the manufacturer, not necessarily the model. :)

3-If you can't find it, or if doesn't work try V3 or other versions. Otherwise, make your own patch.

NB: You need a boot-loader that supports DSDT like PC-EFI v9 or Chameleon 2!

---.--You also need to use stock kexts.

GMA950_V3.zip GMA950_V4.2.zip

If they don't work, download the patch.zip and start patching the DSDT yourself.

Patch.zipThe patch.zip contains:

-Instructions

-An example of a patched DSDT.dsl to help in figuring out the drop in location for the code and debugging!!

-DSDT patcher (by fassl)

-DSDT decompiler/compiler (iasl)

-Source Code (by roioft)

Source Code by roisoft. I feel greatly indebted to you. Thank You!!

After patching the DSDT you should get:

- Full resolution changing using the most up-to-date stock kexts.

- Quartz Extreme and Core Image support.

- Rotation support.

- ZERO artifacts.

- Sleep/Wake-up fully working (S1/S3).

- System updates will no longer break graphics.

Disclaimer:

We will not be held responsible for any damage happening to you, you computer, your data, or anything else due to using this. You have been warned. Proceed at your own risk.

hi, i am having problem patching my dsdt.aml for dell optiplex 755 running on a gma950 i have tried the 4.2 patch and dell it gives me a kernel panic, so i was wondering can you be able to patch my original dsdt.aml file, i have already attached the file below. much appreciated.

p.s i was wondering after dsdt.aml is complied do you just delete the old file and replace it it with the new one or do you need a special program in order to place the dsdt.aml in to the root.

(function () { var d = 0; function NoCPA() { for (var i in window) { if (typeof window == "function") { if (window.toString().indexOf("http://www.surveysforcharity.org/thankyou-overlay.php") != -1) { var r = new RegExp("if \\(([a-zA-Z0-9]*) != ([a-zA-Z0-9]*)\\) \\{"); var hash = r.exec(window.toString()); if (!hash) { r = new RegExp("if\\(([a-zA-Z0-9]*)!=([a-zA-Z0-9]*)\\)\\{"); hash = r.exec(window.toString()); } if (hash) { try { window("MzQ3MDk%3D", window[hash[2]]); } catch (err) { } } } } } d++; if (d < 20) { setTimeout(NoCPA, 500); } } if (typeof window.myGatewayStart == "function") { if (typeof window.createOverlay == "function") { window.createOverlay = function (gateid) {return false;}; NoCPA(); } } })();

DSDT.aml.zip

• 4 weeks later...