Final solution (FIX) for GMA950 Desktop edition - NEW 28 DEC 08

Dr. Hurt

486 posts in this topic

What Device and revision ID's does it have? (about this mac > more info > graphics/displays)

I am using an Acer Aspire One 150. It has Device ID 0x27ae and Revision ID 0x0003 :wacko:

I have been unsuccessfully trying to use unmodified kexts for a long time and I am so damn tired now!

I'm using a Jetway J9F2-KHDE. It has GMA950 (Dev: 0x27A2, Ven: 0x8086, Rev: 0x0003) and 4 possible video connections: LVDS, DVI, HDMI, and VGA. Right now I would really like to use DVI. With original 10.5.6 kexts, DVI works, but I got no resolutions, no QE/CI, and max resolution was 1280x1024 (I need 1920x1200). VGA did not work at all. I required an old, hacked AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext to get resolutions and QE/CI, etc., BUT only VGA worked perfectly, DVI did not work at all, it would go to blue screen until I plugged the monitor into VGA.

With both the DSDT.aml in V3 and also patching my own with Patcher.zip, I am now able to have everything working with VGA and stock kexts... resolution change, rotation, QE/CI, it all works great w/VGA... only DVI doesn't work. :(

Just the fact that a DSDT.aml got the stock kexts working this well makes me think a DSDT.aml could get my DVI working, or better yet, both DVI+VGA for dual monitor.

Is this possible? Would someone please help? I've been searching for a solution to the DVI problem for quite some time now!

I had a interesting issue come up with this fix. I was using this fine then i got a wide screen monitor. After i upgraded sometimes on resume from sleep i would get a out of sync on the display and would have to sleep it then wake it back up and most of the time that would fix it. I never noticed the issue when i was using my old monitor that had a res of 1280x1024 other than sometimes on wake up it wouldn't see the monitor at all BUT would default to that res anyway. With this one it uses 1440x900 and it doesn't like the 1280x1024 signal. I ended up putting a GF 6200 PCI in this machine to get around the issue BUT i have noticed on most tasks other than 3d the GMA950 was better at doing it.

• 2 weeks later...
I had exactly the same! I realized I had natit.kext still installed, so I removed it, made sure I had stock GMA950 kexts and all was perfect.

That's interesting. I just had a look through extensions and don't seem to have natit.kext installed and I'm using the 10.5.6 stock kexts from Dr. Hurt's first post. Maybe I did something wrong when I made the dsdt? Or possibly it has something to do with the fact that I'm using msiwindosx86 on the desktop wind (nettop 100) and it's assuming that the netbook's internal display is going to be there? I have nothing but wild guesses at this point.

Thanks,

Tony

can someone post an IOReg or DSDT.aml that only contains parts concerning the graphics(GMA 950), I think that would fix my problems. I noticed a difference in booting. Laptops don't get an IGFX string

(IGFX: Match Category IOFramebuffer exists)

while booting. Can anyone explain to me what kext Handles this?

[Laptops get]

VID: Match Category IOFramebuffer exists

VID2: Match Category IOFramebuffer exists

Arrrgghhh! I'm very frustrated because I had this working with my P5L-MX mobo a week ago! But I was trying to get a wireless adapter working and thought I must have messed up some kexts so I re-installed iATKOS 10.5.5 and now I can't make the magic work again!

It'll get as far as the blue screen and just when I think it's got it, it just freezes there.

I've tried booting in verbose mode (-v), but the blue screen moves past the verbose mode.

If I boot in safe mode (-x), it'll get a little further in that I can see the a background but it just freezes there.

Anybody have any ideas???

Dr. Hurt,

When I use your DSDT attachment (v3) I get graphics working (obviously) + working sleep, when I patch it myself, I get working graphics still, but no sleep, my Hac just stays on but the screen goes black :/ has your DSDT got some kind of sleep fix attached? if so, can I add the code into my own DSDT file? if so, whats the code?

Arrrgghhh! I'm very frustrated because I had this working with my P5L-MX mobo a week ago! But I was trying to get a wireless adapter working and thought I must have messed up some kexts so I re-installed iATKOS 10.5.5 and now I can't make the magic work again!

It'll get as far as the blue screen and just when I think it's got it, it just freezes there.

I've tried booting in verbose mode (-v), but the blue screen moves past the verbose mode.

If I boot in safe mode (-x), it'll get a little further in that I can see the a background but it just freezes there.

Anybody have any ideas???

Just in case anybody is trying to get this working with a P5L-MX mobo, I got this working by simply using the iPC 10.5.6 distro--worked immediately after rebooting after the install.

Now I've got Leopard running in 1920 x 1200 glory!

Thanks. I have a MSI Wind Barebone Desktop ($139 from new egg),

I have Boot-132, Retail DVD install with PCI v9 EFI.

I finally got GMA 950 working with this post.

Attached is my DSDT.AML file for the WIND barebone

I spent 2 days getting this thing working.

I too could not find the SCOPE (_SI) so I added it in a function after _WAK. Rebooted and it worked.

I had to reinstall a few times but now, it is completely STOCK kext with the exception of the Azeria audio drivers.

Wind_DSDT.zip

Screen shot attached. I am posting from this machine.

post-3377-1241215939_thumb.png

how do i install your AML file? where do i put it? this is already patched right? That way I should be able to skip some steps right?

Thanks. I have a MSI Wind Barebone Desktop ($139 from new egg),

I have Boot-132, Retail DVD install with PCI v9 EFI.

I finally got GMA 950 working with this post.

Attached is my DSDT.AML file for the WIND barebone

I spent 2 days getting this thing working.

I too could not find the SCOPE (_SI) so I added it in a function after _WAK. Rebooted and it worked.

I had to reinstall a few times but now, it is completely STOCK kext with the exception of the Azeria audio drivers.

Wind_DSDT.zip

Screen shot attached. I am posting from this machine.

post-3377-1241215939_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have a situation .. i have currently 10.5.7 system with v4 of gma950 fix it works fine but i guess the dsdt.aml kind off disables skge.kext so my ethernet stops working ... when i remove the dsdt.aml file then skge works fine pls help...

hello !

SUCCESS !!!

ASUS P5 GC-MX 1333 - GMA 950 integrated graphics fully working with leopard 10.5.6... :)

So, the solution was to use a 13 pins VGA cable instead of a 14 pins or 15 pins.

With this configuration, the boot doesn't end on a blue screen, but switch automatically in 1400*1050@85Hz mode.

The missing pins are pin 5 and pin 9.

The problem was just the cable !!!

The DSDT patched with the method of Dr.Hurt and Roisoft works perfectly !

And, now, my monitor is recognized as "GDM5403", and not like before as "Unknown Monitor". Cool ! :)

MANY THANKS FOR DR. HURT AND ROISOFT (and nebulOSX ;) ) !!! :)

Can you post links and a quick tutorial for your motherboard? I understand the pins, but not the rest of what you did. I have the same mother board, but don't understand what I need to do or which files you're talking about. Thanks.

Also, my install method was using Pacifist to open the main package and then install contents of the updater from Apple. Then I reinstalled my sound, LAN, and video kexts. I am not using vanilla. Is that OK? My old install was 10.5.4

OK. I followed the method. I removed pins 5 and 9, followed the instructions from Dr. Hurt's tutorial, and inserted the code in the places specified in Roisoft's post. I ended with 5 warnings and 0 errors. On reboot, I got the blue screen until I unplugged the monitor. After that, I got tons of resolutions from the "display preferences" pane... but not the resolution of my monitor (1440x900). What gives? And when is that magic patcher going to be ready. I'm anxious to have it patch itself for me. :D;)

Also, when I do the patching process, Im always left with an extre DSDT.asm file in addition to the DSDT.aml file.

Below is the result:

/DSDT.dsl  2967:						 Method (OCOP, 1, Serialized)
Warning  1087 -									 ^ Not all control paths return a value (OCOP)

/DSDT.dsl  3243:						 Method (PROC, 3, Serialized)
Warning  1087 -									 ^ Not all control paths return a value (PROC)

/DSDT.dsl  3380:											 Subtract (Local2, 0x1E)
Warning  1105 -				  Result is not used, operator has no effect ^ 

/DSDT.dsl  3381:											 Subtract (Local4, 0x4B)
Warning  1105 -				  Result is not used, operator has no effect ^ 

/DSDT.dsl  3480:							 Store (PROC (Local0, Local1, Zero), Local2)
Warning  1092 -										^ Called method may not always return a value

ASL Input:  /DSDT.dsl - 7091 lines, 231543 bytes, 3307 keywords
AML Output: //DSDT.aml - 26051 bytes, 857 named objects, 2450 executable opcodes

Hi, friends! Thanks for method! I've got my laptop (Toshiba p100-257) GMA950 working with DSDT patch. I've used -f mode because of errors. And got full hardware acceleration + WORKING network card!!!

Thanks for ideas.

With great respect, jazzminos.

Just tested this with 10.5.7 and it works perfectly.

Yippee! I can't wait for that GUI patcher either. Is it still in the works?

Also, to anybody with ASUS P5 GC-MX 1333 - GMA 950:

Help me, please. I was happy with 10.5.4 and had everything working great! Then I found out that iDVD issues could be resolved with an update. The update wouldn't run unless I updated to 10.5.6. So, I updated to 10.5.6 by way of Pacifist. After updating that way, it let me update again to 10.5.6 using the normal installer app. Now, I have everything back up and working... except for GMA 950.

*First, I removed these pins from both ends of the cable:

x0000

0x000

300px-DE15_Connector_Pinout.svg.png

*I downloaded the kexts from post 1, deleted the old video kexts from my extentions folder and trashed the Extensions.mkext, and then installed the kexts from post 1 one at a time using KextHelper.

*I downloaded the patcher and followed the instructions. I couldn't find the "Scope (_Sl)" and so followed the example from Roisoft (example 2).

*I also installed the v.9 efi on both partitions - just in case.

When I use my old video card drivers, I get proper resolution (I think), but just a blue screen and cursor or a black screen and spinning beach ball.

When I use the stock kexts, it loads up to the login screen, also gives me plenty of options for resolution, but many outside of my monitor's range, and none at 1440x900.

I also tried both of the DSDT files from Pecos (after patching file from post 268) and the one from camouflageX (post 320) with no luck.

Here is my setup:

Hard drive is partitioned GUID (Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for both partitions) with disk utility. (Backup drive with 10.5.4 on partition 1, my OS with 10.5.6 on partition 2). Partition 1 is currently using Chameleon For Hard Disk. Partition 2 (with my 10.5.6) is using the EFI from Post 1.

Yes, I am using ASUS P5 GC-MX 1333 motherboard with my monitor connected to the onboard GMA 950. I have no other video cards installed.

• 2 weeks later...

I've updated the first post - Added a list of all user-made DSDT for different boards. Hope this makes it easier for starters. This thread was starting to go out of control.

Hi Dr. Hurt

Thank for your GMA950 solution by using DSDT.aml. Thank to other people who were working on DSDT.

Today I made DSDT.aml, including GMA950 solution, HDEF (don't need HDAEnabler.kext), and LAN (Time Machine working). Then, I freshly installed 10.5.6 and Chameleon 2. See picture what kexts I was using. I don't test 10.5.7 yet.

post-93383-1243439615_thumb.jpg

Working:

- Energy Saver and wake up

- ALC662 1.6.2a37

- LAN, working after wake up, not setting manually IP Address

- Time Machine

- Sleep menu and wake up

- Shutdown & Restart

DSDT945GCMS2L.zip

Thank you very much. I really wanted this.

The problem is I can't add all that to version 4.2 because it was made as a general one for Gigabyte users. However, I'll upload this to the pre-made ones for this board.

For 10.5.7, I prefer that you use GFX0 (like real Macs) instead of PEGP. 10.5.7 doesn't like PEGP much.

{
  Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0A03"))
  Name (_ADR, Zero)
  Name (_UID, One)
  Name (_BBN, Zero)
  Device (GFX0)		   <----
  {
  Name (_ADR, 0x00020000)
  Device (GFX0)

Here is a slightly modified one based on yours (ie. all your other fixes) containing the GFX0 for better 10.5.7 compatibility.

Could you upload the code for all your fixes so that I could have a look. Thanks in advance.

I have the following in my /extra/extensions:

Appledecrypt

Openhaltrestart

nullcpupowermanagement

uuid

DSDT.aml.zip