XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2

BlackCH

661 posts in this topic

Really?; Ok. That one reinstalls the 10.5.6 stock Finder.app. So, trying to have a clue of what happens with the Lenguage Packages, I would say that maybe they are not fully compatible with 10.5.6. Those packages usually comes from 10.5.4 retail discs or older... dont know.

Basically this is a POSTINSTALL patch as you will have the same problems once you install a lenguage pkg. so theres no sense to include it on the DVD.

Yep, you're right the problem only occurs with the installation of an old Language pack (the one I used is from and old iAtkos) and therefore including it in the installation would be useless, so maybe I should remove the things related to the Finder in that Language PKG, I'll look into that when I have time!

Thanks anyway for your fix!

Naunaud.

Thanks for the Finder fix, Preferences are back now :D

I'm afraid this did not fix the Special Characters not showing for any app, even though I set International to English :D

No further issues from Preference Panels, as to my hardware.

No wake from sleep was not solved by the USB kexts as suggested:

Try the patched USB kexts (328): http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117029

Those are in the ISO but test them first so you dont have to install again....

No answer to-date to my Post #178 at the USB 2.0 for Leopard thread :(

I tested those kexts to my 10.5.5 install to see what they were supposed to change. It used to wake from sleep, but they caused no wake eventually :(

EDIT - Jan 24th :

I think my rig does not wake from sleep because I'm a noob and I did not think a Mac is built with a video card :P

Use EFIStringCreator.app (included under 'tools', should be installed at /Applications/Utilities/) to insert a EFI string on the boot.plist. Is very easy: select your card model, then press 'Add Device', then 'write to apple.com....', reboot.

I think thats the best method.

Thank you so much BlackCH! You got my Nvidia 9600 GT card working with the EFI string with dual monitors with full QC/CI and full hardware acceleration...it looks amazing. Do you think EFIStringCreator will work with TWO graphics cards in the same machine? (Both Nvidia...1 is Nvidia 9600 GT and the other is 8400 GS) I would love to add a 3rd monitor!

THANK YOU BlackCH for all you have done. This release with PPF 1 is awesome.

Thank you so much BlackCH! You got my Nvidia 9600 GT card working with the EFI string with dual monitors with full QC/CI and full hardware acceleration...it looks amazing. Do you think EFIStringCreator will work with TWO graphics cards in the same machine? (Both Nvidia...1 is Nvidia 9600 GT and the other is 8400 GS) I would love to add a 3rd monitor!

THANK YOU BlackCH for all you have done. This release with PPF 1 is awesome.

I think it is possible. You just have to add two displays (matching your models) on EFIStringCreator. One thing you need to make sure is that the location of the cards is correct. It the screenshot I added two Display devices; But if you look closer both have the same location: "<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>" (on the text window), maybe because I have only one card, but Im not sure if EFIStringCr will 'see' two different cards automatically:

post-51637-1232536596_thumb.jpg

You can get the location of your cards with IORegistryExplorer (search for 'Display'). Maybe at first you will have to boot with one card at the time (you wont get the right location if the drivers arent loaded and the card isnt working).

I would:

1- repeat the steps you did for your 9600 and take note of the location "<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0xX,0x0)</key>"

2- Unplug the 9600 (keep that PCI slot free!) and plug the 8400 on the 2nd pci slot

3- Make the 8400 work with EFI string; (keep note of the "<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0xX,0x0)</key>" too)

4- Reverse step 2, and insert both Display string, check "<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0xX,0x0)</key>" are the same as before for each card. if not you can type in the right ones. Press the 'write to plist' button.

5- reboot once. The 9600 should be working

6- shutdown, plug the 8400 again, boot.

EDIT:

I just found a mod of NVinject for dual cards. I dont know if it works with newer cards (9xxx series):

NVinject_2.0_DualCards.kext.zip

I think i have the Rev1 disk but when i'm installing i don't have the same options as listed in the png in this thread's first post. Specifically i'm trying to use NVKush for my NVIDIA 8800 GTX 768meg, the png lists the following NVKush options

• NVKush Driver
  • NVKush 320mb
  • NVKush 512mb
  • NVKush 640mb
  • NVKush 768mb
  • NVKush_9800GX2
    • NVKush_9800GX2
    • OldNV kexts 9800GX2

However the equivelant options listed for me are only

• NVKush Driver
  • NVKush_9800GX2
    • NVKush_9800GX2

I went with NVKush Driver, but unlike some other discs i saw no other option to specify EFI strings for particular cards so sadly upon finishing the install my card was showing only 256meg ram.

Both the XxX install and the other NVKush installs i've tried always show the card name as some strange string as well "I have name" or similar, can't see it right now. Any other pointers on why that's wrong?

Could anyone explain how to get my card specified correctly within the XxX install. Cheers

Otherwise, a great disc.. Still lots and lots of options to choose from that i'm a little baffled with though ;)

Could anyone explain how to get my card specified correctly within the XxX install. Cheers

Otherwise, a great disc.. Still lots and lots of options to choose from that i'm a little baffled with though :)

You need to patch the ISO with the PPF1 for those missing options. Anyway, you can use EFI String Creator (install it from 'Tools' menu) to insert a string for your card after main installation.

Sorry, I can see now that its not... all seems well I'll give it another try. One little pointer. I'd appreciate it if anyone could point out any glaring omissions from the following install choices

• essential system software
  • PCEFI_V9.0 - is this needed?
  • essential system kexts
  • ICHx Chipset support
  • Apple AHCI Port - extended support
  • jmicron ATA - not verified if this is helping with all my MBs hdds yet
  • NVKush Driver - will soon be the correct 768meg version
  • ALC888_ad0 - what is the _ad0 standing for? I had initial trouble with digital out but after 3 or so reboots it seemed to then work ok
  • Yukon 88E8056 - for the first time this onboard networking has worked.. yay

I had to install OpenHaltRestart to fix it not being able to shut down ok, aside from the earlier nvidia card mix up it all looked pretty good. It's just I'm wondering if there are any glaring ommissions or whether or not i've added things i probably shouldn't have. I thought the PCEFI_V9.0 was required, especially to make an upgradable system, is this perhaps not the case?

My relevant hardware is

• 2.4ghz Intel C2D 6600
  • Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6
    • Intel ICH8 Family
    • intel 82801HR SATA/AHCI Controller
    • gigabyte GBB36X SATA Controller
    • Yukon 88E8056 net
    • Realtek ALC888 sound

[*]Nvidia 8800 GTX 768meg

Any help or guidance on this will be very much appreciated. Cheers.

I had to install OpenHaltRestart to fix it not being able to shut down ok, aside from the earlier nvidia card mix up it all looked pretty good. It's just I'm wondering if there are any glaring ommissions or whether or not i've added things i probably shouldn't have. I thought the PCEFI_V9.0 was required, especially to make an upgradable system, is this perhaps not the case?

If you already have a good installation you dont have to reinstall. Install a EFI string for your graphic card. Im not sure NVKush will identify your card right anyway and besides I notice better performance using EFI strings:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1037051

If you reinstall anyway, your selection looks OK. You can add some fixes like SystemProfilerFix, TimeToggle (if you do dual boot), GenericCPUPowerManagement 1.1.3, all the 'Tools' items.

Thanks BlackCH. I'm reinstalling as i'm going to put it on a different, larger, faster disk. I must have reinstalled about 10 times over the last few days so one more wont hurt.

Are you saying that you can install NVIDIA without NVKUSH at all? I was assuming it was NVKUSH that seemed to make it enable quartz and all the other accelerations.. The EFI strings are confusing me a little bit but i'll have a go.

I'm just trying to blank a disk that used to have XxX none PPF1 installed on it, unfortunately my real macs wont let me delete, repartition or do anything. They seem to have gotten confused, finder returning error code -1407 when i try to delete anything on there. Which seems to mean that it thinks files are actually directories and so is confused. I'm going to have to end up using parted to reformat it i guess.. Has anyone else come across this.. is the HFS that OSX86 makes somehow confusing to a real mac?

Cheers

actually that finder error only happens after disk utility fails to either erase or partition the drive.. It fails unmounting.. After that i get the funny finder error. Wierd.. Just wondering if its something OSX86 has done to the disk and if its a known issue.

Are you saying that you can install NVIDIA without NVKUSH at all? I was assuming it was NVKUSH that seemed to make it enable quartz and all the other accelerations.. The EFI strings are confusing me a little bit but i'll have a go.

You wont have QE/CI on the first boot, but only after you insert the string on your plist. You can install NVkush and your graphics will be OK, then if you decide to try EFI strings, you have to delete the NVKush.kext. As I said, I thing EFI Strings performs better.

About your HD error; I havent got something like that on any of my testings...sound like data corruption, maybe a bad HD sector. Try to repair the partition before erase it or try to erase it with diskutility from within the installer.

post-51637-1232582081_thumb.jpg

I've tried your additional options suggested and also selected nvkush 768mb on its own, and have then tried with the nvkush driver + the nvkush 768mb.

For whatever reason the nvidia gfx card isn't being found, the resolution is staying low, and as soon as i drag any windows they don't seem to redraw properly so it looks like you're dragging a hollow window around.

I'm going to try going back to my original settings, perhaps this is something to do with the PPF1 version? Do my symptoms sound familiar?

I was going to try using the EFI string builder but i literally can't use any apps that need scrolling in this state!!

ok, your advice BlackCH seemed to come through in the end, so thank you. The only NVKush combination i didn't end up trying was just the NVKush driver on its own as was the only choice pre PPF1. I'd assume that would probably work ok but i noticed that adding the EFI string fixed the problem.

I did another reinstall with all your suggestions back on and NO NVKush, on first boot i had this glitch where dragged windows were invisible, but making the right EFI string loads it up nicely. All good i think now. Thanks.

What kind of actual differences did you spot between EFI strings and any of the injectors?

Cheers

What kind of actual differences did you spot between EFI strings and any of the injectors?

I noticed a little lag when hidding/unhidding the dock or sometimes in expose using injectors and is not there using EFI strings. Im using a 7600GT (clocked 650mhz, ram 1600mhz)

I've tried your additional options suggested and also selected nvkush 768mb on its own, and have then tried with the nvkush driver + the nvkush 768mb.

For whatever reason the nvidia gfx card isn't being found, the resolution is staying low, and as soon as i drag any windows they don't seem to redraw properly so it looks like you're dragging a hollow window around.

Maybe you found a bug. I will check it out

Hi,

First of all I would like to say a great THANK YOU to the Team who realised This distribution.

GREAT JOb.

For EVERYTHING is working, and I can compare with real Mac cause I've a macbook, 2 Imacs, macmini and 3 Pc's !

The only thing where I don't find any issue is the mobileme account.

It's impossible to open my account in my hackintosh. he's looking locked on .mac. I can input the datas (loggin, password) but the "connect" buton is remaining locked.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

One more time BRAVO !

The only thing where I don't find any issue is the mobileme account.

It's impossible to open my account in my hackintosh. he's looking locked on .mac. I can input the datas (loggin, password) but the "connect" buton is remaining locked.

The only thing I can think of is fix ethernet with EFI String Creator. If you installed it ('tools' menu) you should find the app at /Aplpications/Utilities. Is easy: From the dropbox select ethernet, press 'add device' button. Another window will open, press 'write on ....plist' button. reboot

This lits the 'built-in' value from the ethernet interface you are using. Without this fix file sharing isnt working as well as some apps like AdobeCS, Maya, etc, but I dont have a mobileme account so I cannot test if this issue is related.

Hey BlackCH, I love this release, but I just found a bug you might want to fix in a future PPF. I found the solution on an old Leo4All thread, so I guess it's inherited from there.

Kotoeri (the Japanese input method) crashes the entire system whenever you try to use it. This is due to some missing dictionary files in

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LangAnalysis.framework/Versions/A/Support/

I'm not sure what's missing exactly, but there are supposed to be 68.7MB in there, but there are only 15MB or so in yours. I copied the files directly over from a retail install and now it works. Hopefully if someone else has the same problem, they can find the answer here, and maybe it can be fixed in a future release. Thanks!

Edit:

Oh, I just saw your requirements for a bug report. I'm pretty sure it's just a problem with missing files and it will crash on anyone's computer, but just to follow procedure, I'm on an Asus P5K-VM, with a Core2 Duo E8400, and an ATI Radeon HD 2600XT.

You can reproduce the problem by turning on "Kotoeri" under Input Menu in the International Preference Pane. Then go to anywhere you can type and switch the input menu to Kotoeri, switch to Hiragana (the one that looks like あ) and then type anything. You should get the beach-ball and then everything will lock up except the mouse.

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LangAnalysis.framework/Versions/A/Support/

I'm not sure what's missing exactly, but there are supposed to be 68.7MB in there, but there are only 15MB or so in yours. I copied the files directly over from a retail install and now it works. Hopefully if someone else has the same problem, they can find the answer here, and maybe it can be fixed in a future release. Thanks!

You can reproduce the problem by turning on "Kotoeri" under Input Menu in the International Preference Pane. Then go to anywhere you can type and switch the input menu to Kotoeri, switch to Hiragana (the one that looks like あ) and then type anything. You should get the beach-ball and then everything will lock up except the mouse.

Kotoeri input method doesnt crash here (but I've not installed any extra language pack). Did you install a japanese.pkg form a 10.5.4 retail disk? those packages are giving a lot of problems.... Check if the finder preference pane isnt crashing too. Im looking for a fix.

Hi, just dropped in to say that localized new language.pkg fixed Finder's Preferences from crashing :)

Well done BlackCH :)

No Special characters, anyway :)

Report on what I did on my current install:

Set International Language to English and Formats to US

Logged out-in

Installed Language.pkg you provided

Logged out-in

Set International Language to my language and Formats to my local

I did not re-install the FinderFix1056 (I did it already a few days ago when provided by you)

Should a fresh install be tested ? Any option you'd like me to select to test ?

Should a fresh install be tested ? Any option you'd like me to select to test ?

Exellent. I already did some test here on a fresh install. They seem to work just fine.

Only if you have time, and an extra partition, you can test on a fresh install (see if the problem with the special characters still there). But dont worry too much. They will be tested anyway

Kotoeri input method doesnt crash here (but I've not installed any extra language pack). Did you install a japanese.pkg form a 10.5.4 retail disk? those packages are giving a lot of problems.... Check if the finder preference pane isnt crashing too. Im looking for a fix.
My Kotoeri crashed on a completely fresh PPF1 install. Did you try typing something with hiragana mode enabled? Also, it might not lock up with something like "asdf," so make sure to type something with a consonant and a vowel, like "nihongo" or something. That way it will try to bring up Japanese characters and crash.

I did actually install the Japanese language pack from a retail disk trying to fix the problem, but the bug was present before and after the install. Also, I'm having no other problems with the language pack.

I'm not sure if I opened my Finder preference pane before fixing anything, but I'm sure it works now. I can open it up and move to all four tabs no problem.