XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2

BlackCH

661 posts in this topic

Just successfully installed on an Asrock Conroe 1333. Thanks very much for your work.

Only problem is sound from the the ALC888 chipset.

All channels are shown, both in and out but nothing working. Used the new ALC888 option during install.

Only way to get any sound is with Azalia package, however only output no mic.

What should I try to get it all working?

Hi BlackCh

everything is working fine except my ethernet. im just wondrin my tplink8139d is not detected i chose this option Pcgeneric Realtek8139 but stll no success.

First check you have 'PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext' on /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ . Also the folder should NOT contain AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext.

If so then can be a problem about your PCI buses not being readed right. Try installing 'IOPCIFamily254' or 'PCCard_Fix' (one at the time) from 'Others' menu.

Just successfully installed on an Asrock Conroe 1333. Thanks very much for your work.

Only problem is sound from the the ALC888 chipset.

All channels are shown, both in and out but nothing working. Used the new ALC888 option during install.

Only way to get any sound is with Azalia package, however only output no mic.

What should I try to get it all working?

theres 5 alc 888 drivers on the DVD. You have to try them all (one at the time!).

If you dont want to reinstall, just extract the content of the package drivers (XxX.ISO/System/Installation/Packages/Patches/Sound) on to your desktop and install it with kexthelper.

Hi BlackCH,

sadly this did not work ;)

If you can; replace the extensions.mkext file (System/Library) from the new iso with the one from the old distro (the one that works for you); reburn.
Did w/ TransMac, but same dvd freezing loop at 5 minutes to the end and "still waiting for root device". Tried again to boot -v -f rd=disk0 or rd=disk0s2 I googled and it doesn't seem to be any solution, I remember someone was having my same issue back in the leo4all v3 days, but now can not find anything related :P

Time to upgrade at least my motherboard has really come now because it has always been a pain, but unfortunately I must be cheap. No one here is selling P5K-VM anymore, example :(

I do not want to be feeded, I understand the importance of self-learning and simply reading your suggestions on this thread was learning a lot. So only if you have time and will for some advice, I'll appreciate as always. You are one of the kindest developers helping everyone to fix customization issues even going beyond what could be the personal goal to improve your distro. Your helping here is a big value added. Thanks a lot :)

You are one of the kindest developers helping everyone to fix customization issues even going beyond what could be the personal goal to improve your distro. Your helping here is a big value added. Thanks a lot ;)

no problem man,

Im not really a 'dev', more like a 'packer' I would say...

Anyway, you are welcome

Now back to your problem; thats very strange since, the ISO should behave in the same way when it has the same .mkext file... did you tryed the old iso to see if it does the same?....

Well, upgrade the mobo is a good idea. I have actually a P5K-VM (not for sale), and it works very fine... theres quite a few 50-70 € boards that can also work ok...

did you tryed the old iso to see if it does the same?....
It used to work ok. Right now I'm re-burning XxX_10.5.6_Leo_Install_Disc_Rev1 + ppf1 (= XxX_10.5.6_Leo_Install_Disc.iso) to re-install it. This is to check, but I'm sure it works because I already installed both XxX_10.5.6_Leo_Install_Disc_Rev1 and XxX_10.5.6_Leo_Install_Disc_Rev1 + ppf1 many times to test them.

Before reinstalling the working revision 1 + ppf I wanted to re-do the Extensions.mkext swap from OSX, this time.

Wrote a report on what I did. This can be useful to other people wanting to add boot kexts to the DVD.

Show hidden files w/ OnyX

In Terminal:

sudo su

sh-3.2# hdiutil convert "/Volumes/Data250/XxX_10.5.6_Leo_Install_Disc.iso" -format UDRW -o "/Volumes/disk0s2/XxX_10.5.6_Leo_Install_Disc.dmg"

Reading Driver Descriptor Map (DDM : 0)…

Reading Apple (Apple_partition_map : 1)…

Reading XXX_105_LEO_INSTALL_DISC (Apple_ISO : 2)…

Reading DiscRecording 4.0.1d5 (Apple_HFS : 3)…

Elapsed Time: 2m 19.270s

Speed: 30.1Mbytes/sec

Savings: 0.0%

created: /Volumes/disk0s2/XxX_10.5.6_Leo_Install_Disc.dmg

sh-3.2# hdiutil convert "/Volumes/Data250/XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.iso" -format UDRW -o "/Volumes/disk0s2/XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.dmg"

Reading Driver Descriptor Map (DDM : 0)…

Reading Apple (Apple_partition_map : 1)…

Reading osx86dvd (Apple_ISO : 2)…

Reading (Apple_Free : 3)…

Reading osx86dvd (Apple_HFS : 4)…

Elapsed Time: 2m 19.147s

Speed: 32.2Mbytes/sec

Savings: 0.0%

created: /Volumes/disk0s2/XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.dmg

Mounted the dmg

sh-3.2# mkdir /DVD_Extensions

sh-3.2# mkextunpack -d /DVD_Extensions /Volumes/XxX_10.5.6_Leo_Install_Disc_Rev1b/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Here I could have added the kexts wanted in the bootup Extension.mkext

sh-3.2# chown -R root:wheel /DVD_Extensions

sh-3.2# chmod -R 755 /DVD_Extensions

sh-3.2# kextcache -m /Extensions.mkext /DVD_Extensions

sh-3.2# hdiutil attach /Volumes/disk0s2/XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.dmg

/dev/disk2 Apple_partition_scheme

/dev/disk2s1 Apple_partition_map

/dev/disk2s3 Apple_HFS /Volumes/XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final

sh-3.2# rm -r /Volumes/XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sh-3.2# cp -R /Extensions.mkext /Volumes/XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final/System/Library/

Burned the dmg w/ Disk Utility at 2,4x

References:

http://tinyurl.com/av9s33

http://tinyurl.com/aazwjr

http://tinyurl.com/b7g8hp

No way, it hanged as usual w/ the DVD spinning loop :( This time I followed the Install log and the last items showed were:

Running kextcache -k /Volumes/disk0s2/System/Library/Extensions

Running ifcstart

Running update_dyld_shared_cache

Then the countdown showed 5 minutes, the flow bar stopped motion and DVD began spinning endlessly. After nearly one hour I turned power off and on restart Still waiting 4 root dev...

I'll stay w/ rev1

I dont think there is a need to convert the ISO to DMG. You just mount it readwrite:

sudo hdiutil attach -readwrite -owners on /path/to/the/xxx.iso/

then build your mkext file (either with command line or mkextTool.app) and replace.

theres 5 alc 888 drivers on the DVD. You have to try them all (one at the time!).

If you dont want to reinstall, just extract the content of the package drivers (XxX.ISO/System/Installation/Packages/Patches/Sound) on to your desktop and install it with kexthelper.

I found the following alternatives

alc885-889a_ad2

ALC888.Audio

ALC888_3.Audio

alc888_3lineout

alc888_ad0

alc888_ad2

ALC888d.Audio

and tried them one at a time by installing the various AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext

with Kexthelper. However still no luck!

I am sure that I have seen in some posts (which I can't seem to find now) who got sound input working on ALC888 chipsets.

Will appreciate additional suggestions.

I assume you get this booting the DVD (you are not clear about that).

Try booting with the following flags:

-mach_kernel_2

-platform=acpi

Hi BlackCH and thanks for the reply.

I tried your advise and got the same error.

I am trying to boot from the SATA DVD and it stops after 2 seconds with the error I attached earlier.

Thank you once again and if you have some other ideas, please let me know.

Cheers,

Dragos

post-307544-1234172853_thumb.jpg

Wonderful DVD. I love the fact that it can do a clean retail install with this. I also like the fact that you don't customize the OS by adding themes, and other unnecessary stuff or by removing default wallpapers. Now to wait for the new chameleon and move the /extra to the EFI partition to have an untouched OS. Thank you BlackCH

Hi BlackCH and thanks for the reply.

I tried your advise and got the same error.

I am trying to boot from the SATA DVD and it stops after 2 seconds with the error I attached earlier.

Thank you once again and if you have some other ideas, please let me know.

Cheers,

Dragos

Seems your ATA controller (Jmicron363) is giving you trouble. Try disabling it on the BIOS or disconnect any plugged ATA devices. This is wierd 'cos I have a Jmicron controller myself (Jmicron368 though) and the DVD is booting fine here.

I found the following alternatives

alc885-889a_ad2

ALC888.Audio

ALC888_3.Audio

alc888_3lineout

alc888_ad0

alc888_ad2

ALC888d.Audio

and tried them one at a time by installing the various AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext

with Kexthelper. However still no luck!

I am sure that I have seen in some posts (which I can't seem to find now) who got sound input working on ALC888 chipsets.

Will appreciate additional suggestions.

Have you also made sure you toggle the outputs after each install? I found my 888 installed but no sound until I toggled...

Seems your ATA controller (Jmicron363) is giving you trouble. Try disabling it on the BIOS or disconnect any plugged ATA devices. This is wierd 'cos I have a Jmicron controller myself (Jmicron368 though) and the DVD is booting fine here.

I will try this later today and I will let you know.

Thank you very much.

Dragos

I will try this later today and I will let you know.

Thank you very much.

Dragos

Hi BlackCH,

You were right, the Jmicron controller was the issue. I have no ATA devices so it was no problem to disable it in BIOS.

The installation went with no problems or issues and everybody who said that your version was fast, were right. It is the FASTEST I ever seen. GREAT WORK!!!!

There are some small issues after install but they are not that important:

- Time machine is not working, but I didn't try to find a fix yet. Maybe there is one on the DVD that I didn't select. The output in the console is:

2/9/09 11:47:42 PM System Preferences[1498] Time Machine: Error setting backup path: Error Domain=com.apple.TimeMachine.Preferences Code=-1 UserInfo=0x17cbdb20 "Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found."

2/9/09 11:47:42 PM [0x0-0x26026].com.apple.systempreferences[1498] _CSBackupGetMachineMACAddress - IOServiceGetMatchingServices did not find an ethernet service with kIOPrimaryInterface true

The second one is the sound that does not work yet, because I didn't select the apropriate kext. I have SoundMAX® ADI AD1988 adn I know that the stereo output works with Azalia kext. I tried to use another kext (and still trying) so that I can make the input also to work. I would realy want to make the microphone work too.

If you know the the answers for these I would very much appreciate it, but otherwise, please try to help some other people that have serious problems. I will try to find a solution myself and I will come back with a comment.

Once again, thank you very much for this great OS and for the help.

Cheers,

Dragos

Have you also made sure you toggle the outputs after each install? I found my 888 installed but no sound until I toggled...

I toggled back and forth a couple of times at each alternative but still without sound.

Methanoid! What motherboard are you using?

Hi BlackCH,

You were right, the Jmicron controller was the issue. I have no ATA devices so it was no problem to disable it in BIOS.

The installation went with no problems or issues and everybody who said that your version was fast, were right. It is the FASTEST I ever seen. GREAT WORK!!!!

There are some small issues after install but they are not that important:

- Time machine is not working, but I didn't try to find a fix yet. Maybe there is one on the DVD that I didn't select. The output in the console is:

2/9/09 11:47:42 PM System Preferences[1498] Time Machine: Error setting backup path: Error Domain=com.apple.TimeMachine.Preferences Code=-1 UserInfo=0x17cbdb20 "Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found."

2/9/09 11:47:42 PM [0x0-0x26026].com.apple.systempreferences[1498] _CSBackupGetMachineMACAddress - IOServiceGetMatchingServices did not find an ethernet service with kIOPrimaryInterface true

The second one is the sound that does not work yet, because I didn't select the apropriate kext. I have SoundMAX® ADI AD1988 adn I know that the stereo output works with Azalia kext. I tried to use another kext (and still trying) so that I can make the input also to work. I would realy want to make the microphone work too.

If you know the the answers for these I would very much appreciate it, but otherwise, please try to help some other people that have serious problems. I will try to find a solution myself and I will come back with a comment.

Once again, thank you very much for this great OS and for the help.

Cheers,

Dragos

For the Time Machine issue, i found the solution, here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1000405

"

"Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found."

Here is the FIX:

-Download EFIStudio (http://spotlight.hopto.org/osx86/EFIStudio.zip)

-Run EFIStudio

-change 'device' to ethernet

-Click Add Device

- Click write to com.apple.boot.plist

-reboot.

"

Thanks to plutoprime for this.

Dragos

@Dragos: EFIStudio is included in the installer under 'tools' menu

I toggled back and forth a couple of times at each alternative but still without sound.

Methanoid! What motherboard are you using?

Try with alcinject instead of HDAEnabler.

Other thing: Everytime you install a new kext boot with -f to be sure the kextcache is flushed and the new kext loaded

@Dragos: EFIStudio is included in the installer under 'tools' menu

Try with alcinject instead of HDAEnabler.

Other thing: Everytime you install a new kext boot with -f to be sure the kextcache is flushed and the new kext loaded

Hi BlackCH,

For me the EFIStudio, was already installed, but I wanted to keep the details in the original format so, maybe it can help someone else.

Thanks for the advices about the kexts. I wil try the alcinject later on and let you know.

Cheers,

Dragos

Using the new and improved XxX 10.5.6 9G66 install disc I gave my Acer Aspire One A150 a clean install. After that hibernation doesn't work anymore. I get a kernel panic.

On the old XxX 10.5.6 and iPC 10.5.6 (PPF5) it worked by unchecking "Use secure virtual memory" and

"sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1". On this version it doesn't. It almost tries to sleep rather than to hibernate...

I reinstalled the Voodoo kernel, didn't help.

At the installation I selected the exact same packages is with the old 10.5.6 disc.

Any suggestions?