NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

Some kext are dependent on each other and would cause problems like that

The main problem is that you have iPC, so who knows what was changed by default

that's one very good reason why I install the retail disk

does Applesmbios fixes the problem?

if so than great.

if it does not change anything I would remove it just in case...

if not ...

you could give a shot at installing chameleon 2, which fixed the UUID error for me, but that might be risky, again because you have iPC instead of a clean retail...

I did a clean install with the Leopard 10.5.6 retail disk and installed the chamelon2 pkg. This didn't clear up the UUID error for me, so I installed smbiosresolver.kext and IOnetworkingfamily.kext (to fix the Time Machine error).

Now, the network connection is totally dead. I can't even open the Network preference panel!

What can you recommend?

Thanks again.

I did a clean install with the Leopard 10.5.6 retail disk and installed the chamelon2 pkg. This didn't clear up the UUID error for me, so I installed smbiosresolver.kext and IOnetworkingfamily.kext (to fix the Time Machine error).

Now, the network connection is totally dead. I can't even open the Network preference panel!

What can you recommend?

Thanks again.

for networking you need Realtek1000.plist (you'll find it in my kext packs)

either install it in S/L/E

OR read few post above (the almost perfect setup) and use my new mkext file instead of everything

I may again have the UUID error... but I was messing with kext so it was maybe during that time that I got it, I'll see and maybe incorporate the smbiosresolver in the above mkext to fix that issue

Do you know how can I trigger that error, what do you do to get it?

What's the problem with Timemachine ?

(I do have an efi string that supposedly fix that) I'd like to test and see if I have whatever error we get

When I try to use TM, I get this message:

"Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found."

I googled around and found some people had been using the ionetworkingfamily kext, so figured I'd try it out.

When I try to use TM, I get this message:

"Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found."

I googled around and found some people had been using the ionetworkingfamily kext, so figured I'd try it out.

OK well I don't get this error

so you can fix that with an efi string (Uinstaller will do that for you)

but with chameleon 2

I'd recommend to copy the modified com.apple.Boot.plist (in Lib../Pref.../SystemConfig/com.apple.Boot.plist) and paste it in the Extra folder, and put the original one back (Uinstaller makes a backup for you in that same folder, just different name)

how about UUID error, how could I trigger it?

few people are thinking about a fix, still in the brainstorming stage though (maybe a fix using dsdt): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155345

supposedly Firewire has some issues too but I don't have firewire HD so I can't play with that

1) USB: Device removal error can be removed by installing the patched kext from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1097648

Which is very ugly IMHO but eliminates the possible data corruption.

From my testing USB is still not working 100% after sleep as throuhgput is limited to about 11 to 17 MB/s. I don't understand why.

2) Firewire: Sleeps well out of the box.

Throuput is 21 MB/s continous read and 26 MB/s write. This is way below the expected 38 to 40 MB/s. This problem appears to be not related to sleep. I don't know what's going on there.

Probably unrelated, but I see also:

kernel[0]: AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phyWaitForAutoNegotiation TIMEOUT

after sleep which causes a delay in network for about 10s after wakeup. Afterwards everything is fine.

did you remove ionetworkingfamily

maybe its interfering with the efi string

I tried deleting the ionetworkingfamily but the internet wouldn't work without it. If I delete this, I can't even access the network preferences panel.

This is frustrating because it worked in iPC. I've googled around and there doesn't seem to be a definitive solution.

I tried deleting the ionetworkingfamily but the internet wouldn't work without it. If I delete this, I can't even access the network preferences panel.

This is frustrating because it worked in iPC. I've googled around and there doesn't seem to be a definitive solution.

well if you have a little time, I would start over (reinstall osx)

it's pretty fast, the slow part is reinstalling all the software

or try to put absolutely everything back to original

-update to 10.5.6 first (download the combot update before reinstalling osx, so that you don't need -internet access)

-(reboot with boot132 disk)

-install chameleon 2

-delete the Extention folder in /Extra/

-use THIS NEW mkext in the extra folder: Extensions.mkext_GA_EP45_UD3R_April_10_2009.zip

(this one has the fix for USB removal error after sleep, but slow usb speed, and ionetworking family for uuid error 35)

-backup Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

-add efi string (video card and time machine) with uinstaller

-copy Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to your extra folder

-and put your backup of the original back on to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

-add the following to /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>-f</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

-reboot and finish updating until you don't have any more updates

(after the first batch of install reboot and lunch the software update again because there are more)

and from there we'll be on the same page

you should have everything working... well almost, but it's a pretty good system so far

good luck :P

1) USB: Device removal error can be removed by installing the patched kext from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1097648

Which is very ugly IMHO but eliminates the possible data corruption.

From my testing USB is still not working 100% after sleep as throuhgput is limited to about 11 to 17 MB/s. I don't understand why.

2) Firewire: Sleeps well out of the box.

Throuput is 21 MB/s continous read and 26 MB/s write. This is way below the expected 38 to 40 MB/s. This problem appears to be not related to sleep. I don't know what's going on there.

Probably unrelated, but I see also:

kernel[0]: AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phyWaitForAutoNegotiation TIMEOUT

after sleep which causes a delay in network for about 10s after wakeup. Afterwards everything is fine.

thanks, I installed it in the mkext, it indeed worked, which is great

(I tried it before without success, but that was before I did a full and clean install of osx)

My speed after reboot are read:33 write:36

after sleep its about 12.2 MB/s read&write, that's like USB1 "Fuil speed" (12MB/s)

I don't have you're error about AppleRTL8169Ethernet, with or without this new kext

you may want to try RealtekR1000.kext instead (unless you're already using it)

you're board probably has the same ethernet chip as ours

because with USB storage device (HDD or Flash), after you wake up the machine, you'll see you drive for 2sec then it will hide and show up a seconde later... along with a "nice" device removal warning, saying that the drive has not been disconected properly, which yes it could harm the hard drive, in the sence that you may get corrupted data, (I don't think it will physically harm the hard drive, just corrupted data)

yeah so the only remaining issue (at least for me), is what I wrote just above, about the removal warning issue. the workaround would be an icon in the dock that eject those drives first, and be sure they are eject, then sleep...

MY WORKAROUND for device removal warning after sleep:

if you have a USB HD always connected like I do this might be handy

I just made that it's basically 2 line of applescript, it ejects all "ejectable" drives then sleep

(it may be a little slow about 10 to 15 second before it sleeps or faster)

copy the application anywhere (I have mine in /Application/utilities/) and drag it your dock for easy access...

few people are thinking about a fix, still in the brainstorming stage though (maybe a fix using dsdt): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155345

supposedly Firewire has some issues too but I don't have firewire HD so I can't play with that

I don't have this problem neither with firewire nor with USB. But I do get the kernel panic when I shutdown with the firewire plugged in, which i think it's not a big deal, I just shut it down manually.

I don't have this problem neither with firewire nor with USB. But I do get the kernel panic when I shutdown with the firewire plugged in, which i think it's not a big deal, I just shut it down manually.

you need to boot with "-v debug=0x100"

and see exactly which kext is causing the problem

-------------------------------------------------------

NEW KEXT PACK:

still in the mkext format so put it in the /Extra folder and delete the /Extra/Extensions

the S/L/E should be in it's original state...

Use chameleon 2...

what's new and what's there (thanks too weaksauce12 pack and whoever made those kext) :

- SpeedStep for lower temperature and pwr consumption (on my Q6600 it goes from 2.4Ghz down to 1.6Ghz when idle, you can check it using "MSR tool")

- mouse lag with itunes and nvidia card fix is now included (I personally never noticed it)

- sleep without device removal warning (but slow speed after sleep, down to 12MB/s instead of 35MB/s after a fresh boot on my USB HD)

- IDE support

- Audio in/out (I think digital too, but I'm not sure since I don't have digital audio device)

- Sleep / Reboot / Shutdown

- fix for UUID error 35

you need EFI string for Video card and Timemachine fix using Uinstaller

and copy the com.apple.Boot.plist to the Extra folder

and restore the backup in the original location

add the following to the com.apple.Boot.plist located in the extra folder

<key>-f</key>

<string></string>

This is now getting very close to the perfect setup, all we need now is a fix for the USB speed after sleep...

note: if your internet doesn't work after the first reboot just reboot again, this is most likely because of the system kext cache, or what you could do just before the first reboot is to delete the Extensions.mkext located in System/Library/

Extensions.mkext_GA_EP45_UD3R_April10_2009_SE.zip

if you experience any problems when using this new mkext, please let me know

edit: For Front audio headphone check next page

Can I use grub-dfe instead of boot123? That's what I used to install Leopard Retail 10.5.6. Do you think that could be the problem?

yeah it 's basically the same thing, so no it's not the problem

be sure that your S/L/E has all the original kext only and no extra ones

then use the latest mkext just above

ionetworkingfamily is now part of it

don't forget to add this to com.apple.Boot.plist that is located in the Extra folder:

<key>-f</key>

<string></string>

yeah it 's basically the same thing, so no it's not the problem

be sure that your S/L/E has all the original kext only and no extra ones

then use the latest mkext just above

ionetworkingfamily is now part of it

don't forget to add this to com.apple.Boot.plist that is located in the Extra folder:

<key>-f</key>

<string></string>

That worked really, so a million thanks. There is one small problem; I can't get any audio from my headphones. Should I install a separate kext for this?

That worked really, so a million thanks. There is one small problem; I can't get any audio from my headphones. Should I install a separate kext for this?

great !

check the System preference / Sound, you probably just have to change the output port

great !

check the System preference / Sound, you probably just have to change the output port

I checked the preferences and I have:

Internal Speakers (Built-in Output)

Line Out (Built-in Line output)

Line out (Built-in Line output)

Digital Out (Built-in Digital output)

There's no options for headphones anywhere

I checked the preferences and I have:

Internal Speakers (Built-in Output)

Line Out (Built-in Line output)

Line out (Built-in Line output)

Digital Out (Built-in Digital output)

There's no options for headphones anywhere

did you try them all, play some music and see

by head phone you mean the front audio port?

I tried all of them and only the internal speakers work. Yes I mean the front panel audio jack.

try theses mkext instead, so just replace the previous one and reboot

again try all port for each mkext and let me know if any of these two work

with Legacy_3outs3ins_digital_regualr_headphone

Extensions.mkext_GA_EP45_UD3R_April11_2009_digital_regularheadphones.zip

Legacy 4outs3ins analog regualr headphone

Extensions.mkext_GA_EP45_UD3R_April11_2009_analog_regularheadphones.zip

Wanted to add my UD3R thread link to this thread. I have the BIOS and iPC 10.5.6 settings that I used to get my UD3R up and running. The only nagging issue that I'm having now is my time doesn't stick. It's always changing on me even without dual booting.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=159254

In short here are my BIOS settings and iPC install settings...

UD3R BIOS Settings (Load optimized defaults first, then change to these)

Standard CMOS Features

---- Change the Date and Time to the correct information first of all

---- Drive A - Disabled (We don't need the floppy drive port to be turned on, simple housecleaning here)

Advanced CMOS Features

---- First Boot Device - CDROM

---- Second Boot Device - Hard Disk

---- Init Display First - PEG (PCI Express Graphics, PCI should work too)

Integrated Peripherals

---- SATA RAID/AHCI Mode - AHCI

---- SATA Port0-3 Native Mode - Enabled

---- USB Mouse Support - Enabled

---- Onboard SATA/IDE Device - Disabled (This completely turns off the single green IDE connector on the motherboard)

---- Onboard Serial Port 1 - Disabled

---- Onboard Parallel Port - Disabled

Power Management Setup

---- PME Event Wake Up - Disabled (Wake by LAN port)

---- Power On by Ring - Disabled (For use with a modem, we're not using this)

---- HPET Mode - 64 bit (High Precision Event Timer, something to do with CPU power management I think)

iPC Install Settings - OSx86 10.5.6

------ Drivers

------------ X Legacy Time Machine Fix

------------ Chipset Drivers

------------------ X Intel ICH10 SATA

------------ Audio Drivers

------------------ ALCxxx

------------------------ X ALC889A

------------------ Legacy AppleHDAß

------------------------ X ALC885/ALC889A

------------ Ethernet Drivers

------------------ X Realtek R1000

------------ USB Drivers

------------------ X Patched USB Drivers

------------ Power Management

------------------ X PowerManagement Package

------ Fixes and Patches

------------ X Dual Boot Time Sync (if you plan on dual booting later)

------------ X Shutdown/Restart Fix

------------ AppleSMBIOS Patch

------------------ X SMBIOSResolver

------Applications

------------ X OSx86 Tools Utility (We'll use this to install our Kernal extensions later)

------------ X NTFS 3-G + MacFUSE MacFuse + NTFS (read/write to NTFS Windows volumes & partitions)

Post install all I needed was a Kext for audio and video which I added as attachments to my thread.

Wanted to add my UD3R thread link to this thread. I have the BIOS and iPC 10.5.6 settings that I used to get my UD3R up and running. The only nagging issue that I'm having now is my time doesn't stick. It's always changing on me even without dual booting.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=159254

In short here are my BIOS settings and iPC install settings...

Hi

well I don't know if you read the last few pages of this thread here, but our setup is almost perfect,

all from a retail disk install with minimal steps to get the system up and running ^_^

but there's one little thing that bothers me to get the perfect setup

, and since you seem to have a great iPC setup and most likely a different set of Kext

could you please try the following for me:

plug a usb Hard drive or fast flash drive, and sleep the machine while it's still mounted.

and finally wake it up...

do you get the device removal error... if so then never mind... iPC didn't fix that issue

if you don't, then great,

could you then download this free utility to check usb storage device speed (just set the drive in the list and press start)

http://www.aja.com/ajashare/AJA_System_Test_v601.zip

well first do a fresh reboot of the machine, test the speed of that device

then sleep & wake the machine and test again

if the speed are about the same then please let me know, and I'll try to extract the pack of kext you're using that is bundled with iPC, and target the one that fix that issue...

if the speed is significantly slower, then too bad, we'll all wait until someone finds a fix...

thanks

Hey, Is anyone having problems with FireWire devices working? My system is running great (see my sig) but was trying to use a FireWire vid cam last night with FinalCut, and discovered OSX cannot see any FireWire devices. I KNOW I had it working at one point, and if I dual boot into Vista, FireWire works fine, so it's not a hardware issue.

Can someone test this? Also, if anyone has some suggestions for me, I'm all ears.

I did check my kernal and system.kext, and they are the same versions, so it's not that either.

Thanks!

Hey. Is anyone having problems with FireWire devices working? My system is running great (see my sig) but was trying to use a FireWire bid cam last night with FinalCut, and discovered OSX cannot see any FireWire devices. I KNOW I had it working at one point, and if I dual boot into Vista, FireWire works fine, so it's not a hardware issue.

Can someone test this? Also, if anyone has some suggestions for me, I'm all ears.

I did check my kernal and system.next, and they are the same versions, so it's not that either.

Thanks!

someone in this thread had kernel panic during shutdown only

that's all I know