AppleVIAATA over 4gb RAM bug solved (at least i believe so)! JMicron and AppleNForceATA at development

slashack

568 posts in this topic

I've been using the updated nForce driver on my chipset (mcp55) for a few months...

-MCP 55 SATA

-AMD x2 64 (2.2ghz)

-4GB RAM

Basically, when using the new driver (which fixes the kernel panics) I've noticed by disk read/write is absolute {censored}.

I'm getting about 112mb/sec in xbench on my sata drives (7200 RPM)

I should be getting atleast double that

In Windows (win7.x64) my disks benchmark at 280-320mb/sec

I seem to recall some ppl having speed issues with this driver

Is there any way to get some of my disk performance back without going to SL? (my motherboard doesnt support DSDT)

If it matters (shouldn't) I'm using iDeneb 1.4 with Voodoo kernel

If I recall, no motherboard supports dsdt. They all have to have a dsdt file generated for them.

If I recall, no motherboard supports dsdt. They all have to have a dsdt file generated for them.

True. But when using the DSDT tools , I can never successfully generate a DSDT file. That is what I meant.

Either way, I'm @ 10.5.8 on Leopard and happy. Aside from my disk speed. I don't want to move to SL unless I have to, or it fixes my problem.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry I tried this updated kext on my nForce 4 board but I had no change; whenever I allowed more than maxmem=2048, using an app such as 'SuperDuper' or whatever it is to do a Backup/Image of my drive, i quickly ran into the 32b mem alloc crash.

My machine never crashed on any 'normal' apps like photoshop but intensive apps that just load RAM until its full like backup or databases will still bring down the system with your kext.

bit weird really since even 32bit address space should allow FAR more than maxmem 2048, but the ata bug is the ata bug i suppose. as SOON as i make it maxmem 2048, i can do absolutely nothing to crash it. Damn it.

have tried many versions including super drivers etc. Damn AppleNForceATA I curse you

thats for all the hard work though dude its MOST appreciated.

Trav

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

is this also helpin my issue ? i'm readin and searchin on for hours and hours but never really find something that fits 100% or at least I don't get it sry....

that's my prob :

Like 3 or 4 weeks ago I managed to get my Asus P5K-E Wifi/AP Hackintosh finally workin(2Duo E6750 and 2 gigs of kingston ram)...Got a new HDD from Samsung few Days ago which is much better than my old one and its even better now...faster...just copied the drives with carbincopycloner....NOW MY PROBLEM: Just bought another 4gig of the same ram and now installed 6 gigs (2x1; 2x2)...The rams work fine cause windows 7 is booting nicely BUT my beloved Snow Leopard (10.6.0) freezes when the grey/silver boot menu with the apple appears...It Just doesn't move no more...PLZ ANY IDEAS? I'm on 64 Bit

-> only got sata drives on ahci mode but nothin workin on ide except my dvd ...

thx very much

edit:

if I take out the 2 gigs and leave only the 4 it isn't working either...Only If I take out the two 2gb rams and put back the 2x1gb it works flawlessly like before... at least I know it something with the 4gb of ram....

these are the memories

KHX6400D2LLK2/2G 2GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC

Low-Latency CL4 (kit of 2) 4-4-4-12 2.0V

KHX6400D2LLK2/4G 4GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC

Low-Latency CL4 (kit of 2) 4-4-4-12 1.95V

For me the issue is/was in the ATA controller of my chipset. See my sig for solution.

Hello, I am looking for some help trying to solve the Kernel Panic issue on my netbook. I have a Gigibyte T1028X with Atom Processor N280 1.66GHz with 1 GB ram and 945GSE Express Chipset+ ICH7M for graphics. I successfully installed 10.6.0 and 10.6.2 but this issue happens on both. Everything works well (graphics, touchscreen, wireless, touchpad, etc), boot up is no problem but whenever I tried to install something new like Photoshop or even netbookinstaller to avoid booting from the USB, I get a kernal panic. If I just surf the web or simply leave the laptop on and do nothing else - no kernal panic. Sleep mode even works fine and the system can come out of sleep with no problems. It seems that this only happens when I put a load on the system, for example when a program is being installed. Here is my log from the last panic when I tried to install Photoshop. I tried loading the JMicronATA kext but this did not correct the issuse. I am a newb and would really appreciate any help to intepret this log to tell me what the issue is so that I can correct. Thanks if advance for any help on this.

6/6/10 1:40:20 PM [0x0-0x12012].com.adobe.Installers.Setup[167] Begin Adobe Setup6/6/10 1:40:20 PM [0x0-0x12012].com.adobe.Installers.Setup[167] UI mode: Full GUI6/6/10 1:40:26 PM Setup[167] Calling AuthorizationExecuteWithPrivileges6/6/10 1:40:26 PM authexec[175] executing /Volumes/Adobe Photoshop CS3/Adobe Photoshop CS3/Setup.app/Contents/MacOS/Setup6/6/10 1:40:39 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@���"�&I-h�@���"�&I-h�@���"�&".6/6/10 1:40:44 PM Setup[167] wait result is: 1756/6/10 1:40:44 PM [0x0-0x12012].com.adobe.Installers.Setup 2010-06-06 13:40:44.095 Setup[190:903] Calling AuthorizationExecuteWithPrivileges6/6/10 1:40:44 PM authexec[194] executing /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Installers/R1/Setup.app/Contents/MacOS/Setup6/6/10 1:40:50 PM com.apple.kextd[10] Can't open CFBundle for /Volumes/ramdisk/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext.6/6/10 1:41:10 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@���|�&I-h�@���|�&I-h�@���|�&".6/6/10 1:41:41 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "MX@�����"\�O".6/6/10 1:41:41 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "MX@�����"\�O".6/6/10 1:41:41 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&".6/6/10 1:42:11 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@���|�&I-h�@���|�&I-h�@���|�&".6/6/10 1:42:42 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@��=q�&I-h�@��=q�&I-h�@��=q�&".6/6/10 1:43:13 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&".6/6/10 1:43:44 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@��=q�&I-h�@��=q�&I-h�@��=q�&".6/6/10 1:44:14 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "MX����="\�O".6/6/10 1:44:14 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "MX����="\�O".6/6/10 1:44:14 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@��="�&I-h�@��="�&I-h�@��="�&".6/6/10 1:44:45 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&".6/6/10 1:45:16 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&".6/6/10 1:45:47 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&".6/6/10 1:45:59 PM /System/Library/CoreServices/CCacheServer.app/Contents/MacOS/CCacheServer[108] No valid tickets, timing out6/6/10 2:07:38 PM kernel npvhash=40956/6/10 1:46:17 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&".

• 4 weeks later...

slashack, you are a freaking GROSO! A hero! No less.

I've been looking for a solution to this problem for 3 weeks, I even went to change my RAM (I had to tell the guys at the shop that I was running Windows!) and today, when I got my new RAM and the problem persisted I started thinking about OS X and then I though of a Kext issue.... so I googled my problem looking for a kext for RAM (WTF?) but this thread came up and YOU had the solution.

I have 2 IDE hard drives and 1 SATA DVD-drive, so far so good. I've used your JMicronATA (0.6), 4GB of RAM.

Cheers from Río Negro... you know... Argentina.

PS for english readers: GROSO means "great", "huge", "giant" and similars, in spanish.

• 2 months later...
Last update: 11/12/2008

Basically, the problem is when you have more than 3 gb of ram (some says 2.5 gb) and AppleVIAATA, JMicronATA, AppleNForceATA or AppleATIATA driver.

Great info!!! I've been having lock ups and KPs every time I leave the computer idol for a long period, like over night or going to work. Strangely, it seemed like the more I was doing the less likely this was. Since I don't use anything IDE in this computer, I just deleted JMicronATA.kext, which was the only one of these kexts i have. Up about 3 days now w/o a KP! Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I seem to be having the same issue, I have an nforce chipset (used aitkos s3 v2 install). I downloaded the AppleNForceATA kext provided here and its the same one that was provided in the install cd ? Although AppleNForceATA kext is placed in the 'Extensions' Folder, its placed in the hidden 'Extra'/'Extensions' Folder. Also, there is jmicronata.kext in the 'system'/libary/extension folder. Should that be there? Since I dont have that chipset?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest sincro77

PLEASE:

Hi guys ,

heres the deal: RE: NFORCEATA.KEXT issue

- medevils v1.0.3 nforceata (96k filesize )works with sata dvd.

....but.. it has the over 4 gig bug still.... KP after 3 gigs.

the v1.0.3 (106k filesize) allows me to use over 4 gigs of ram but dvd is not working.

Can Some one PLEASE patch the medevil "test" or"untested" 1.0.3 (96k) for over 4gigs 32/64bit

PLEASE.???!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have been having these issues, it took a while for me to realise that it was related to the ApplenForceATA kext.

I have a 780i chipset with 8gb of ram... it would be wonderful if i could use it all, i currently have version 1.04 of the kext and although I dont get kernel panics i get unrecoverable system freezes which do not give any useful information in the logs

I wonder what is the best kext to use in my case... though i figure they all suffer from the memory limit.

@ ErOSx86

It is all explained in my nForce OS X Lion and OS X Snow Leopard guides, where you can also download both the AppleNForceATA.kext by slashack for 32bit booting and imk's derivative for 64bit booting of OS X Lion and OS X Mountain Lion.....these kexts overcome the 3GB RAM limit of MedEvil's original AppleNForceATA.kext..... :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...