AppleVIAATA over 4gb RAM bug solved (at least i believe so)! JMicron and AppleNForceATA at development

slashack

568 posts in this topic

Hi !

I tried i Deneb 1.5 (10.5.7) with your AppleNforceATA

and i get "sam multimedia error" on my nforce 430 board.

"cant find root device", too.

meDevil's test driver works for me, but i dont have sata burning support on this. so i tried yours.

here is my lspci

------------------------

00:00.0 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge [10de:02f4] (rev a2)

00:00.1 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 0 [10de:02fa] (rev a2)

00:00.2 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 1 [10de:02fe] (rev a2)

00:00.3 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 5 [10de:02f8] (rev a2)

00:00.4 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 4 [10de:02f9] (rev a2)

00:00.5 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge [10de:02ff] (rev a2)

00:00.6 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 3 [10de:027f] (rev a2)

00:00.7 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 2 [10de:027e] (rev a2)

00:04.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge [10de:02fb] (rev a1)

00:09.0 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Host Bridge [10de:0270] (rev a2)

00:0a.0 ISA bridge [0601]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 LPC Bridge [10de:0260] (rev a2)

00:0a.1 SMBus [0c05]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 SMBus [10de:0264] (rev a2)

00:0a.2 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Memory Controller 0 [10de:0272] (rev a2)

00:0b.0 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller [10de:026d] (rev a2)

00:0b.1 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller [10de:026e] (rev a2)

00:0d.0 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 IDE [10de:0265] (rev a1)

00:0e.0 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller [10de:0266] (rev a1)

00:0f.0 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller [10de:0267] (rev a1)

00:10.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge [10de:026f] (rev a2)

00:10.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio [10de:026c] (rev a2)

00:14.0 Bridge [0680]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller [10de:0269] (rev a1)

01:06.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306 Fire II IEEE 1394 OHCI Link Layer Controller [1106:3044] (rev 46)

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8600 GT [10de:0402] (rev a1)

hope i get this working with my sata burner (o:

thx

• 3 weeks later...

Need some guidance on replacing the AppleNForceATA v0.1 kext file to an iso image... I see a lot of information for updating kext's for updating within a terminal but fail to see anything on how or where to replace these files on the installer image.

p1090570.th.jpg

Thats the error I receive when attempting a clean install of 10.5.7 with over 3gb of ram.

Need some guidance on replacing the AppleNForceATA v0.1 kext file to an iso image... I see a lot of information for updating kext's for updating within a terminal but fail to see anything on how or where to replace these files on the installer image.

p1090570.th.jpg

Thats the error I receive when attempting a clean install of 10.5.7 with over 3gb of ram.

Use the TEST version as that fixes a problem with reading cd's and dvd's but it doesn't fix the 4 gb problem, so on the dvd is the TEST version, but when installed, you will use the version that fixes the 4 GB problem.

Hey I'm new to this and wondered if any could help. I'm running an Abit IP35-E, w/6 GB ram. I'm running Ideneb 1.4 (10.5.6) with the 9.5 voodoo. I have the OSX install on an IDE drive running off the JMicron. I'm getting the random crashes described here: if I run an app that uses lots of memory and then access the HDD a bunch, I get a Grey screen.

I looked in /System/Library/Extensions, and I have a JMicronATA there already.

I downloaded kexthelper b 7, backed up my old jmicron kext, and used kexthelper to install the 0.6 driver. After a restart, I get an instant GSOD on boot. I recovered by putting in the install disk, going to console, then rm -rf JMicronATA in the extensions folder, then doing a cp -R to copy my backup to the extensions folder. Now it boots and works again.

My motherboard bios is version A18 (the latest I can find). I can't find any AHCI/IDE setting to change in the bios.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I will add that I am a bit unclear whether I downloaded the JMicron with or without the JMB360. I'll have to check that; no idea if it makes a difference.

If any have advice I'd appreciate it.

Well, looks like I got it working. The first time, I installed the JMB360 version, and that didn't work for my system (abit IP35-E). Now I just tried it again with the one just labeled JMicronATA, and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks!

jmicron on gigabyte p35ds3l works out of the box in snow leopard (with -x32 flag for 32 bit kernel)

but this kext suffers from the same 4gb barrier!!

is it possible by any chance that this kext could be modified to address more ram while remaining compatible with snow leopard?

i'm attaching the jmicron vanilla kext that comes with 10.6 so called GM 10a432 in hopes that someone is able to work their magic.

just to reitirate i'm able to boot from ide drive attached to jmicron and use the system fine and stably until i hit 4gb of ram

JMicronATA.kext.zip

jmicron on gigabyte p35ds3l works out of the box in snow leopard (with -x32 flag for 32 bit kernel)

but this kext suffers from the same 4gb barrier!!

is it possible by any chance that this kext could be modified to address more ram while remaining compatible with snow leopard?

i'm attaching the jmicron vanilla kext that comes with 10.6 so called GM 10a432 in hopes that someone is able to work their magic.

just to reitirate i'm able to boot from ide drive attached to jmicron and use the system fine and stably until i hit 4gb of ram

JMicronATA.kext.zip

If you want more then 4 gb of ram, ask for a 64-bit version then. No use in booting in 32-bit mode if you want more then 4 gb of ram.

If you want more then 4 gb of ram, ask for a 64-bit version then. No use in booting in 32-bit mode if you want more then 4 gb of ram.

both the 32 bit and the 64 kernels can address more than 4gb of ram (leopard is 32 bit and is fine with 4+ gigs) the problem is jmicron.kext which doesn't have a 32 bit version included with with snow leopard as far as i can tell because when i boot without the -x32 i get the waiting for boot device error.

it's the exact same problem that this thread was originally opened for except that it's snow leopard instead of leopard.

EDIT: the jmicron 0.6 kext from this post has solved my problem, i'm using tons of ram and not a single kernel panic on 10.6 10a432 youppi! i'm still using the 32bit kernel

Do you mean a Snow Leopard compatible version?

Yes,please slashack! A 64bit version of AppleNForceATA.kext for snow leo would be just great!

By the way, I'm using the "untested" AppleNForceATA.kext downloaded from darwin-ata, which is working great for my system on Leopard 10.5.6-10.5.7&10.5.8 and on Snow Leo 10A432-32bit.

The only minor issue I ever had with this kext is that this increase my boot time by about 35 seconds if I don't use a modified IOATAFAMILY.kext.

About my system:

Motherboard: Supermicro H8DAE-2 with nVidia MCP55 Pro chipset which supports up to two Six-Core AMD Opteron 2000/8000 processors

Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Aplus Products | Motherboards | H8DAE-2

Processor: 1x Opteron 8214 (It's time for 2x 8378)

Ram: 4 GB Samsung DDR2 667 Registered ECC Unbuffered

Graphics Card: Nvidia 9400 GT

I also have two SATA hard disks, 120 GB and 640GB , a Sony IDE DVD reader and an Optiarc DVD Recorder.

Yes,please slashack! A 64bit version of AppleNForceATA.kext for snow leo would be just great!

By the way, I'm using the "untested" AppleNForceATA.kext downloaded from darwin-ata, which is working great for my system on Leopard 10.5.6-10.5.7&10.5.8 and on Snow Leo 10A432-32bit.

The only minor issue I ever had with this kext is that this increase my boot time by about 35 seconds if I don't use a modified IOATAFAMILY.kext.

About my system:

Motherboard: Supermicro H8DAE-2 with nVidia MCP55 Pro chipset which supports up to two Six-Core AMD Opteron 2000/8000 processors

Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Aplus Products | Motherboards | H8DAE-2

Processor: 1x Opteron 8214 (It's time for 2x 8378)

Ram: 4 GB Samsung DDR2 667 Registered ECC Unbuffered

Graphics Card: Nvidia 9400 GT

I also have two SATA hard disks, 120 GB and 640GB , a Sony IDE DVD reader and an Optiarc DVD Recorder.

A )

1- I gotta get snow leopard.

2- I need to install it in Parallels.

3- I'll try and build the driver inside SL Xcode.

If it works, then you'll get a working driver in a couple of weeks (we don't have fast internet connections here).

B ) If it doesn't work, then i'll must find why, and adapt the driver to SL IOKit. I don't know how much time this will take.

If anyone tried option A, then please tell me the results.

If anyone knows something about option B, then please inform me.

A )

1- I gotta get snow leopard.

2- I need to install it in Parallels.

3- I'll try and build the driver inside SL Xcode.

If it works, then you'll get a working driver in a couple of weeks (we don't have fast internet connections here).

B ) If it doesn't work, then i'll must find why, and adapt the driver to SL IOKit. I don't know how much time this will take.

If anyone tried option A, then please tell me the results.

If anyone knows something about option B, then please inform me.

Hello agan! Thanks for your immediate response slashack! :) I appreciate it!

Although I have already installed Snow 10A432 and it's working "ok" on 32 bits, I cannot run the latest xcode version which is provided with the installation dvd on my system.

As far as I know, the previous xcode versions cannot suport SDK 10.6.

Due to lack of a XNU-patched kernel at this time,AMD support is still very limited on Snow and as Apple hasn't released XNU sources yet, nobody can build a proper kernel! :unsure:

I'll try tomorrow to patch xcode with Marvin's utility and see if it can run on my system or not.

Thanks again for your concern slashack! I'll be here! ;-)

Hello slashack. I wonder if Jmicron controller has something to do with my problem. I recieve KP when running Snow Leopard installer either from boot DVD or HD volume. My motherboard uses Jmicron chip to drive IDE and when i remove 2GB of total 4GB form a slot the KP doesn't appear anymore. Have you made a Snow Leo version of your kext?

Snow Leopard comes with a JMicronATA.kext, anyone knows on which Sources it is based on? The Sources are not on http://www.opensource.apple.com :whistle:

I'd like to have the Sources of the SnowLeo Version. I made a kext of the googlecode darwin-ata sources but would rather like to see what apple changed in the code. The Reason i made my one version was because of my "insomnient" DVD Burner, which refused to Sleep properly, resulting in LONG going-to-sleep process.

Snow Leopard comes with a JMicronATA.kext, anyone knows on which Sources it is based on? The Sources are not on http://www.opensource.apple.com :thumbsup_anim:

I'd like to have the Sources of the SnowLeo Version. I made a kext of the googlecode darwin-ata sources but would rather like to see what apple changed in the code. The Reason i made my one version was because of my "insomnient" DVD Burner, which refused to Sleep properly, resulting in LONG going-to-sleep process.

Mine sits right in S/L/E. My guess the reason it's not in Apple's open source library is it belongs to JMicron.

Hello slashack. I wonder if Jmicron controller has something to do with my problem. I recieve KP when running Snow Leopard installer either from boot DVD or HD volume. My motherboard uses Jmicron chip to drive IDE and when i remove 2GB of total 4GB form a slot the KP doesn't appear anymore. Have you made a Snow Leo version of your kext?

There's no snow leo kext for any driver i've modified. At the moment, i'm trying to get snow leopard and install it in a virtual machine, in order to build those kexts. But maybe i'll have to wait till apple releases the sources.

Many things changed in Snow Leopard. JAM for example is deprecated now, but XCode 3.2 has an option to adapt the targets. That way i managed to compile the JMicronATA.kext with many warnings in 32bit. 64bit didn't work, as there were many Errors, cause of UInt32 i think.

Recently i upgraded the RAM (512x2) by adding one 2Gb module, so now it's 3Gb. Since then I have random no-boots that come in series, stopping at this line:

IOAPIC Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

After a while, usually 5 or 6 restart cycles, OS X finally boots. Also I've lost proper shutdowns. System specs are in the signature. System partition is on the IDE drive, via JMicron Controller.

Could my issue be resolved by this kext? I don't know any clear reason why did this begin, seems to be a rather new bug, so try to find the solution anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...