Dual Boot-OSX+Vista Ultimate 32 GUID - Bootcamp partition VMWare

19 posts in this topic

The Scenario:

You are running OSX only and you need to add a new Vista partition.

what you need:

-an already functional OSX install -

-a Vista install DVD

-a bootable USB-Stick with the boot-123 by David Elliot:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113288

(I will upload a image of the one I have but anyway in that thread theres all the info you need)

-Chameleon Installer 1.0.11 from its site (google it)

-Winclone app

I had my laptop running 10.5.4 only. On GTP (GUID) scheme, two HFS+ partitions, one for the OS another for data; Zef's Chameleon bootloader. Last week I found myself in the need to run Vista; so here is what I did.

First I made some free space on my second partition (STORAGE), and within diskutility (partition button) I made a 3dr partition out of the free space. Notice that the re-partition is not destructive. All this is done from the diskutility GUI. Open Diskutility, select your HD from the column on the left, and then press the button 'partition'. You will see a graphic representation of your HD and its partitions. Select the partition you want to resize and click the '+' symbol on the bottom. This will add a new partition below; yoc can now slide the division between the two partitions to fix the size. Then you click apply and the new partition setting will be applyed. I ended up with 3 partitions; the two old ones plus the newly created. After that you select the new partition from the left column and click 'erase' (you need to format this in NTFS to install windows); select NTFS on the 'volume format' option and click the erase button on the right-down corner. That will be it.

Now you need to be shure you can boot from the BOOT-123 USB-Stick to your OSX partition. Once you install Vista the bootloader on your HD will be overwritten. So do not go on until you are able to boot from the stick!

We proceed to install Vista. I heard Vista didnt support install/booting on GUID partition scheme... I googled for a couple of hours without finding certain information. So I decided to try; in the worst of the cases Vista wont find a partition to install and end of the story.

Booted the Vista DVD (Ultimate 32bit); and it worked fine. Formated again the partition I've made before within OSX/diskutil and install on it. No big deal. Then booted to the new Vista installation, everything fine.

Now is the time to restore OSX bootloader. Plug your BOOT-123 USB-Stick and boot to your OSX installation. Install Chameleon (just run the installer and choose your OSX partition to install on). Then we make the OSX partition active again:

Assuming your OSX partition is disk0s1, within the terminal type:

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
fdisk: 1> update
Machine code updated.
fdisk:*1> f 1
Partition 1 marked active.
fdisk:*1> w
Device could not be accessed exclusively.
A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y
Writing MBR at offset 0.
fdisk: 1> q

Quit terminal and reboot. Now you should be able to boot to your OSX partition without the USB-stick. If you press F8 during boot you will be able to select the Vista partition to boot in, on the darwin boot menu. Is good you add:

<key>Timeout</key>
<string></string>

on your boot.plist so darwin will always stop at the boot menu without having to press F8 everytime.

Thats it!

VMWare and the Bootcamp partition:

Now if you run VMWare it will find your 'BootCamp Partition' but if you boot on it you will get 'Error b0'. Im sure theres a cleaner way to get rid of this, but what I did was:

-On OSX, make an image of the windows partition with WINCLONE

-Install Vista within vmware. Just boot the 'bootcamp partition' and press F2 to get into the VM's BIOS settings and set the booting priority to boot the DVD/CD first. Insert your Vista DVD and reboot VMWare. You should be able to Install as you did before, but this time inside VMware. Choose the same partition as before and reinstall. You dont have to worry about the bootloader this time since it is stored in the Boot Camp partition.vmx file and not on the physical HD. Check you can boot the VM

-Quit VMware and restore the image you did before with WINCLONE

-Now you should be able to boot both; native and from VMware

thats about all...

Btw, Vista is compatible with GPT and GUID. Within this feature, Vista wouldn't work in Mac products (like Mac Book) and also EFI.

16. Can Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?

Yes, all versions can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for EFI-based systems.

For other stuff, better to move in to genius bar 'cause "it's awesome!!" :(

EDIT:

First, Vista only supports NTFS-formatted disks up to 256 TB in size. While that's a lot, it's still only a tiny fraction of an exabyte. So maybe you won't be able to store all those videos after all.

Second, Vista can only boot from a GPT disk if your system uses Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) instead of BIOS. But you can always have GPT data drives even if your system drive is MBR.

:)

The Scenario:

You are running OSX only and you need to add a new Vista partition.

what you need:

-an already functional OSX install -

-a Vista install DVD

-a bootable USB-Stick with the boot-123 by David Elliot:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113288

(I will upload a image of the one I have but anyway in that thread theres all the info you need)

-Chameleon Installer from its site (google it)

I had my laptop running 10.5.4 only. On GTP (GUID) scheme, two HFS+ partitions, one for the OS another for data; Zef's Chameleon bootloader. Last week I found myself in the need to run Vista; so here is what I did.

First I made some free space on my second partition (STORAGE), and within diskutility (partition button) I made a 3dr partition out of the free space. Notice that the re-partition is not destructive. All this is done from the diskutility GUI. Open Diskutility, select your HD from the column on the left, and then press the button 'partition'. You will see a graphic representation of your HD and its partitions. Select the partition you want to resize and click the '+' symbol on the bottom. This will add a new partition below; yoc can now slide the division between the two partitions to fix the size. Then you click apply and the new partition setting will be applyed. I ended up with 3 partitions; the two old ones plus the newly created. After that you select the new partition from the left column and click 'erase' (you need to format this in NTFS to install windows); select NTFS on the 'volume format' option and click the erase button on the right-down corner. That will be it.

Now you need to be shure you can boot from the BOOT-123 USB-Stick to your OSX partition. Once you install Vista the bootloader on your HD will be overwritten. So do not go on until you are able to boot from the stick!

We proceed to install Vista. I heard Vista didnt support install/booting on GUID partition scheme... I googled for a couple of hours without finding certain information. So I decided to try; in the worst of the cases Vista wont find a partition to install and end of the story.

Booted the Vista DVD (Ultimate 32bit); and it worked fine. Formated again the partition I've made before within OSX/diskutil and install on it. No big deal. Then booted to the new Vista installation, everything fine.

Now is the time to restore OSX bootloader. Plug your BOOT-123 USB-Stick and boot to your OSX installation. Install Chameleon (just run the installer and choose your OSX partition to install on). Then we make the OSX partition active again:

Assuming your OSX partition is disk0s1, within the terminal type:

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
fdisk: 1> update
Machine code updated.
fdisk:*1> f 1
Partition 1 marked active.
fdisk:*1> w
Device could not be accessed exclusively.
A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y
Writing MBR at offset 0.
fdisk: 1> q

Quit terminal and reboot. Now you should be able to boot to your OSX partition without the USB-stick. If you press F8 during boot you will be able to select the Vista partition to boot in, on the darwin boot menu. Is good you add:

<key>Timeout</key>
<string></string>

on your boot.plist so darwin will always stop at the boot menu without having to press F8 everytime.

Thats it!

VMWare and the Bootcamp partition:

Now if you run VMWare it will find your 'BootCamp Partition' but if you boot on it you will get 'Error b0'

What I did (Im shure there are more direct solutions) was to re-install Vista but within VMware and using the bootcamp partition. Just boot it and press F2 to get into the BIOS settings and set the booting priority to boot the DVD/CD first. Insert your Vista DVD and reboot VMWare. You should be able to Install as you did before, but this time inside VMware. Choose the same partition as before and reinstall. You dont have to worry about the bootloader this time since it is stored in the Boot Camp partition.vmx file and not on the physical HD.

thats about all...

hi!

i installed vista and it booted ok, then i booted back to osx and reinstalled chameleon along with the disk commands you posted but when i rebooted, i couldnt see my vista partition!!! plz help

cheers

hi!

i installed vista and it booted ok, then i booted back to osx and reinstalled chameleon along with the disk commands you posted but when i rebooted, i couldnt see my vista partition!!! plz help

cheers

Which version are U using?. I had the same behavior with the lastest (Chameleon-DFE). Try the one from its site (V 1.0.11 Installer). BTW if you were using DFE bootloader before, with the /Extra/Extensions folder holding aditional kexts, you will have to reinstall all those kexts onto the /System/Library/Extensions/ folder.

Which version are U using?. I had the same behavior with the lastest (Chameleon-DFE). Try the one from its site (V 1.0.11 Installer). BTW if you were using DFE bootloader before, with the /Extra/Extensions folder holding aditional kexts, you will have to reinstall all those kexts onto the /System/Library/Extensions/ folder.

im using the DFE bootloader, but i got around that prob by using Fdisk and setting the vista partition to active and then using easybcd on vista to include my osx partition in the windows bootloader. now both OSes boot fine. Ill try the new bootloader anyway because i like the darwin prompt.

thanks

*UPDATE*

installed the new bootloader and reset my osx partition as active. now i can see my vista partition as 'windows NTFS' and it boots normally!!

thanks a lot!!

cheers

ok I see this interests quite some people. So let me share my wisdom :blink:

Currently I am triple booting OS X (boot 132 with Extra folder) , Windows Vista 32 bit SP1 and ubuntu hardy heron using vista's bootloader.

I wanted to use darwin first but it wouldn't work. The reason is quite simple as there are 2 scenarios.

• 1st one is: using the boot file of boot132 with chameleon .

Pro: you can boot up with the kexts in your Extra folder

Con: it only shows your OS X partition thus no multi boot entries

• 2nd: using default chameleon

Pro: multiple entries are shown

Con: OS X won'T boot up with the kexts included in the Extra folder

So basically you need two things

• a bootloader which shows up all bootable entries
  • chameleon with boot132's boot file

Easy done use gptsync and run it on your HDD on which Vista (and OSX) is installed (assuming you have GUID PT)

gptsync can be found on any iATKOS DVD. Boot up the install dvd, run its terminal and type gptsync /dev/rdiskX (I hope I remember correctly- NOTE: X is your HDD number . you can check it with diskutil list )

I will attach gptsync to this post so you can use it from a OS X install. You will have to copy it to the /sbin folder. Tho I doubt this will be usefull in many cases since you need to run gptsync while the selected HDD needs to be unmounted.

Maybe people will have success playing with it and syncing single partitions only... if so pls report

After syncing your partitions your partitions will be marked as MBR partitions for Windows and Linux. OS X will still see it as GUID PT.

The rest should be simple, just insert a Vista/Ubuntu disc and install it ... whereas Ubuntu or other Linux distro users MUST install the grub bootloader (which comes with any linux install ) on the root of the selected linux PARTITION , NOT ROOT OF THE HDD!

Get EasyBCD when in Vista . Install it, add the entries OSX and/or linux , set OS X as default booting entry :) and change the timeout if you like.

you can do some cosmetic work by setting the Quiet/Silent Boot to Yes and remove timeout in the com.apple.boot.plist

The result is following:

Vista Bootloader with at least an OS X entry which directs you to Chameleon with boot132-file, booting your OS X with Extra folder

gptsync.zip

does this enable you to view your vista partition/install while your in osx? I really would like this feature!

Of course. But as I told before, it's just read-only for me (like on any other stock osx-install) and I can't make it write/read with Paragon ntfs. Didn't try with ntfs-3g and macfuse etc.

Um, hey... I'm PMming you in response to this post you made. I currently have Vista 32-bit SP1 on my laptop's single hard drive, MBR-style. I've used OS X in this format before with Darwin EFI. However, in an effort to be that much more vanilla, I want to have a GPT/boot-132/Extras-folder system using the Vista bootloader. But... I just reinstalled Vista and I would die if I had to reinstall again. Is there any way to convert my hard drive to GPT without a full reinstall?

P.S.: I have a USB hard drive, but the only Vista disc I have is a 32-bit Anytime Upgrade with no service packs.

I think there is no way to get your HD GPT-style without reformating the whole thing

Of course. But as I told before, it's just read-only for me (like on any other stock osx-install) and I can't make it write/read with Paragon ntfs. Didn't try with ntfs-3g and macfuse etc.

Anyway to enable write? Im still waiting for 4850 support on desktop but run mac on notebook

Thanks for the guide. I followed it and have everything working for the most part. I can dual boot directly into Leopard and Vista using the Darwin Boot Loader, but the problem comes in when I try to use VMware to access my Vista installation within Leopard.

I had the boot0 error that you mentioned, so I changed the VMware bios to boot to CD-ROM first and then reinstalled Windows over my previous "boot camp" partition. Now Vista boots fine within VMware, but when I try to boot directly to Vista using Darwin, it goes almost immediately to a BSOD. Similarly, if I try to use fdisk to set the Vista partition as active and reinstall Vista (normally, not through VMware) over my VMware installation, it then boots normally using Darwin, but I get a BSOD using VMware (I don't get a boot0 error though, so no reinstallation through VMware is required).

Anyone else experience this problem or have any possible suggestions? Thanks.

Thanks for the guide. I followed it and have everything working for the most part. I can dual boot directly into Leopard and Vista using the Darwin Boot Loader, but the problem comes in when I try to use VMware to access my Vista installation within Leopard.

I had the boot0 error that you mentioned, so I changed the VMware bios to boot to CD-ROM first and then reinstalled Windows over my previous "boot camp" partition. Now Vista boots fine within VMware, but when I try to boot directly to Vista using Darwin, it goes almost immediately to a BSOD. Similarly, if I try to use fdisk to set the Vista partition as active and reinstall Vista (normally, not through VMware) over my VMware installation, it then boots normally using Darwin, but I get a BSOD using VMware (I don't get a boot0 error though, so no reinstallation through VMware is required).

Anyone else experience this problem or have any possible suggestions? Thanks.

Looks like a drivers problem. You can try to boot vista in safe mode...

or try this:

-install vista native (not from vmware). Boot to it, see everithing works well

-make the OSX partition active again. Boot to it

-make an image of the windows partition with WINCLONE

-install Vista within vmware. Check you can boot the VM

-quit VMware and restore the image you did with WINCLONE

-Probably you have to make the OSX partition active again

-now you should be able to boot both; native and from VMware

Looks like a drivers problem. You can try to boot vista in safe mode...

or try this:

-install vista native (not from vmware). Boot to it, see everithing works well

-make the OSX partition active again. Boot to it

-make an image of the windows partition with WINCLONE

-install Vista within vmware. Check you can boot the VM

-quit VMware and restore the image you did with WINCLONE

-Probably you have to make the OSX partition active again

-now you should be able to boot both; native and from VMware

Thanks for the reply. It's odd because I was going through the steps again to try your suggestion and now I have an entirely different problem. After I install Vista and boot back to Leopard, Leopard cannot see (or mount) my Vista partition. Therefore, even though VMware sees a "boot camp partition," it can't set it up properly and gives me an error "Could not create the virtual disk for your Boot Camp virtual machine." Here's what I did:

- I formatted my Vista partition in FAT32 using Disk Utility and flagged it to active using fdisk in Terminal.

- Restarted and booted to Vista DVD and installed Vista fine (I reformatted to NTFS in Vista Setup).

- It boots and runs perfectly fine in Vista.

- I used a Boot 132 CD (I used this same CD before this problem started happening, so while the issue could be that I'm not using a boot 132 USB drive like in your guide, I don't think it is)

- I reinstalled Chameleon (which I was using in the first place w/ my current Leopard setup)

- I reflagged my OSX install using fdisk in Terminal.

- Rebooted to Leopard fine, only Leopard does not see (or mount) my Vista partition.

Back when I was having that crashing issue a few weeks ago, once I reinstalled Chameleon and set my OSX partition as active, Darwin would see my Vista install as "Windows NTFS" and it would boot fine. Now I only see my Mac partitions (Leopard partition and partition where I keep my files). As far as I can tell, I'm doing everything the same as I did a few weeks ago, so I'm really confused as to what the problem could be.

For what it's worth, back when I installed Chamleon the first time, I had to import some files from the Boot 132 CD because simply installing Chameleon using the program itself wasn't working for me. Also, I know my Vista partition is safe and sound because if I go back and flag my Vista partition as active, it boots fine into Vista.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Disk Utility can see the partition but it's greyed out and I can't mount the drive. It says FAT32 but I know the drive is in NTFS because I checked in Vista. I also know Leopard can't read NTFS without a program (which I didn't install yet) but it's just weird that I didn't have this issue a few weeks back and I went through the process at least three times then.

Actually OSX CAN read NTFS without 3rd party software (it cannot write thou). Something must had gone wrong with the partition... Im out of ideas. You could try to erase the partition with diskutility and do all the install again...

Actually OSX CAN read NTFS without 3rd party software (it cannot write thou). Something must had gone wrong with the partition... Im out of ideas. You could try to erase the partition with diskutility and do all the install again...

It's cool. I'll try a few things out and see if they work. I saw some boot cd that has a program that supposedly unhides partitions in Leopard, so maybe that will work. I've already tried reformatting the partition and reinstalling Vista. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for your help.

• 4 weeks later...

// After that you select the new partition from the left column and click 'erase' (you need to format this in NTFS to install windows); select NTFS on the 'volume format' option and click the erase button on the right-down corner. That will be it.//

Are you sure that NTFS is an option in Disk Utility.app?

I looked on 3 pure OS X systems and and all just have fat.

// After that you select the new partition from the left column and click 'erase' (you need to format this in NTFS to install windows); select NTFS on the 'volume format' option and click the erase button on the right-down corner. That will be it.//

Are you sure that NTFS is an option in Disk Utility.app?

I looked on 3 pure OS X systems and and all just have fat.

Yes.It's an option if u got installed MacFuse and NTFS-3G on ur machine. :P

Yes.It's an option if u got installed MacFuse and NTFS-3G on ur machine. :help:

It is not an option by default.

To bring NTSF formatting capabilities to OS X you have to install:

MacFuse API.

NTFS-3G for ... NTFS

This is interesting. I will look in to it further.

Thank you.