[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

munky

1,404 posts in this topic

Ciao a tutti!

I updated to 10.5.7 in my Raid0 EFI partition without problems.

Only my sysprofiler report a wrong data and give me a error

I tried dozen of applesmbios configurations with no luck!

How to fix it?

Thanks!

Has anybody been able to use time machine with this method? I can't seem to be able to.

Thanks

yes, you have to edit apple.com.Boot.plist with eth0 EFI string (you use EFI studio) and put it in /Volumes/EFI. Done!

To All with 10.5.7: wich kind of AppleSMBIOS have you used for? Mine is not working properly now - the same of 10.5.6!!!

yes, you have to edit apple.com.Boot.plist with eth0 EFI string (you use EFI studio) and put it in /Volumes/EFI. Done!

To All with 10.5.7: wich kind of AppleSMBIOS have you used for? Mine is not working properly now - the same of 10.5.6!!!

Thanks a lot, I will try it this weekend and let you know. As for your question, mine is not working correctly either, but I have a P4 so I don't mind.

Thanks again

~fagosu

Hi all,

I am having EFI partition from which I boot and everything works fine, except one problem:

- I have voodoo kernel 9.5.0

- I have matching seatbelt.kext in EFI/Extensions folder (version 107.10)

- I have leopard 10.5.7 seatbelt.kext in /S/L/E (version 107.12)

What is strange: the loaded KEXT is from /S/L/E and not from EFI partition.

Any help and suggestion highly appreciated

Hey guys, I'm using this method and its working almost perfectly. I only have a little problem with wifi. I'm using a patched IO80211Family.kext (Broadcom chipset) and while booting without -f I get an error saying that the kext's immediate and other dependencies could not be resolved, it isn't loaded and I obviously get no wifi. Loading it manually post-boot runs with no errors, but does not enable wifi, and using -f works as expected (as I've said before) but I'd much rather avoid it.

Any ideas?

I had similar problem. The solution was to put IONetworkinFamily.kext into EFI/Extensions folder and re-run ./update.sh

Hope this helps

plzz i need a help from sm 1 to burn my iatkos iso file onto dvd.

i downloaded iatkos v1.0i (size 2.09 gb) and even checked its md5

checksum jus to make sure that its not a fake one.i used these burning

software lyk nero. magiciso and img burn.but aftr burning the iso

file i can see only 542 kb content in my dvd. i might have wasted til nw

3 dvd's and nw its really driving me insane.plz can any tell me in detail

how to burn iso/hfs + file system as im desperate to install .thanks

in advance

Ok! Done! You have to delete original applesmbios from S/L/E and SPiPlatformreporter from S/L/systemprofiler!

You use your smbios you like in /EFI/Extensions!

That's all!

Using this method I was able to modify a Retail install on my laptop and begin loading kexts to the EFI partition. Originally I had installed it using this guide: [TOTALLY VANILLA] Retail Leopard Install with EFI-strings support [Powered by Chameleon 2.0] - InsanelyMac Forum.

That method looks very similar to this one but you don't make the EFI partition visible. I'm not sure exactly but I think it tries to use a partition called MacLoader. But I could never figure out how to load kexts with that method. That install method does provide me with the newer Chameleon 2.0 RC1 bootloader.

I modified my install by exposing the EFI partition to make it more like this method. It appears that MacLoader is not in wide use and I couldn't find out much about it to really understand the differences.

Anyone have any idea of what's different between the two methods?

Hi there. I've run into a problem on my second time around using this guide. When I turn on the computer, I am taken to this screen:

PICT0878.jpg

Sorry for the blurry image, my camera is pretty old.

My drive is partitioned in two. The Macintosh partition is where the Vanilla kernel is located. So, I press enter and wait for it to boot up. Then instead of this screen:

PICT0877.jpg

Which I get when booting up with the CD, I get a screen similar to it without the Apple logo. After 30-45 seconds, I get this message:

PICT0879.jpg

Any ideas on why this might be happening? I'm thinking I might have not copied over an important .kext that might be causing it. Anyways, thanks.

Earl

I made that post two months ago, and I am just now re-attempting to fix this problem. Someone suggested typing -v -f instead of just pressing enter, as to better address the problem, and this is the output I got.

Part 1:

-v-f1.jpg

Part 2:

-v-f2.jpg

I know this is an old question, but any help is greatly appreciated!

Earl

Make sure you have HPET enabled in your BIOS.

Then, search for the error message you got ("No HPETs available"), it's a common error. Maybe you need a disabler to disable the KEXTs AppleHPET.kext from loading (it's in /S/L/E, but your hack should run withtout it).

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your quick response. I'll try this right away! -_-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I started from the very beginning, following every step of the guide, except for this time I copied an AppleHPET Disabler.kext into /Volumes/EFI/Extensions.

I got the .kext here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1020004

Following the instructions from that post, I booted with -f, and still, I got the kernel panic screen. I changed the integer value, as the guy recommended, to 1000, and I'm going to try again.

I looked around in my BIOS, and I couldn't find anything allowing for the enabling or disabling of HPET. I'll triple check, but I didn't see it. My motherboard is a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R, if that's any help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I checked my again BIOS, and there's nothing pertaining to HPET there.

I noticed that the screen received after -v -f also listed part of the error message had to do with my CPU being configured incorrectly and the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, so I copied a AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement disabler into /Volumes/EFI/Extensions as well, but I still get the kernel panic. Both of the Disabler .kexts that I downloaded had were named Disabler.kext, so I renamed the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement one Disabler2.kext.

I found that disabler here (from the poster "3D mn") : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t132581.html

I also realized that I hadn't updated the boot cache after installing these last two disablers, so I re-copied them and this time made sure to do:

cd /Volumes/EFI
./update.sh

But this didn't fix the problem either.

Earl

Before I get to far ahead of myself, might downloading this .kext pack made for my motherboard help?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1156645

Downloading a pack similar to this seemed to help this guy: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t156614.html

Earl

I think this guide might solve my problem: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t146052.html

But the .zip file attachment that contains all of the necessary .kexts will not open.

Furthermore, whenever I try to copy a .kext into /Volumes/EFI/Extensions, the disk will not mount properly:

bash-3.2# mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mkdir: /Volumes/EFI: File exists
bash-3.2# mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs: Invalid argument
bash-3.2#

And I cannot update the boot cache after copying the .kexts:

bash-3.2# cd /Volumes/EFI
bash-3.2# ./update.sh
bash: ./update.sh: No such file or directory

I didn't have this problem until now. :/

Earl

I removed the Disabler.kexts that I added to my /Volumes/EFI/Extensions, the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, and the AppleHPET.kext:

bash-3.2# mkdir /Volumes/EFI
bash-3.2# fsck_hfs /dev/disk0s1
** /dev/rdisk0s1
** Checking Non-journaled HFS Plus volume.
** Checking Extents Overflow file.
** Checking Catalog file.
** Checking multi-linked files.
** Checking Catalog hierarchy.
** Checking Extended Attributes file.
** Checking volume bitmap.
** Checking volume information.
** The volume EFI appears to be OK.
bash-3.2# mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
bash-3.2# sudo -s
bash-3.2# cd /Volumes/EFI/Extensions
bash-3.2# rm -rf /Volumes/EFI/Extensions/Disabler.kext
bash-3.2# rm -rf /Volumes/EFI/Extensions/Disabler2.kext
bash-3.2# rm -rf /Volumes/EFI/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
bash-3.2# rm -rf /Volumes/EFI/Extensions/AppleHPET.kext
bash-3.2# cd /Volumes/EFI
bash-3.2# ./update.sh
Updating EFI boot cache
done.
bash-3.2#

So by removing those .kexts, this should work, but it doesn't. I must be doing some command wrong, or the .kexts must be in some other part of my EFI. Otherwise, it would not show an error message pertaining to the .kexts in question (because they aren't there). So, they must be somewhere in there, I just do not know where.

So the question is: Can someone tell me how to remove the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext and the AppleHPET.kext from my EFI partition?

Earl

Hi, had too many problems with ideneb and i gave up asking for help. I have a genuine leopard 10.5.6 DVD from apple and i want to format my ideneb away and install it onto my current setup:

Intel E8400

Gigabyte 9800GT 512MB

Asus P5Q

Can someone please confirm with me how to install? I heard that i can install using the Boot-132 method which allows me to install apple updates hassle free. Where do i get the boot-132 from??

My boot 132 was from this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=144020

is it the one i must be using? It is currently installed onto a thumbdrive. is that the correct Boot132 for me? Do i just use this and follow the instructions in the

Old but great option to get retail without any modifications...

Actualy i have 10.5.7 + dsmos+boot.plist with gfx string and generated dsdt+newhpet. All work fine, AppleCPUIntelPowerManagment and AppleHPET <- LOADED! but i see one error at start respect to ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin ... PSS Evaluation Failed.

And indentyfication as unknown ;/ but system works fine, uptime is more shortly than my older installation with disabler smbios dsmos and pcefiv9.

Thx for guide and if anybody can help me with clean that error plz do it ;)

Thanks a lot!! Worked like a charm!

EDIT: Just a little note on this. If you somehow muck up your install and restore from your Time Machine backup, after finishing restoring you have to boot from the Leopard DVD to use disk utility and check for the boot-uuid of the drive that it was just restored, since Time Machine wipes out the drive to do the restore and by doing this it changes its boot-uuid. After you get the new boot-uuid just edit your efi partition's com.Apple.boot.plist with this and you're done. A complete restore from Time Machine.

Thanks BlackCorsair for your help

Any Idea how to clone EFI Partition?

thanks in advance :)

Depends on what you mean by clone. If you wish to have the exact same EFI partition on another drive that's not hard to do. Open a terminal session and do the following commands:

sudo -s
cp -R /EFI/*  ~/Desktop/EFI

That will copy your EFI partition to your desktop. Then, format the EIF partition on the other drive and mount it. Copy the version on your Desktop to the new drive EFI partition.

Or, did you have something else in mind?

• 2 weeks later...
Depends on what you mean by clone. If you wish to have the exact same EFI partition on another drive that's not hard to do. Open a terminal session and do the following commands:

sudo -s
cp -R /EFI/*  ~/Desktop/EFI

That will copy your EFI partition to your desktop. Then, format the EIF partition on the other drive and mount it. Copy the version on your Desktop to the new drive EFI partition.

Or, did you have something else in mind?

Thanks a lot BladeRunner!!! I came in today to search or ask about this!! You guys are awesome.

Hi guys, it's me again.

This time I have a different kind of question. After I upgraded my box to 10.5.6 my USB got so slow that I thought it was nonresponsive. My setup is the following:

P4 HT 3.06 Ghz (Prescott I think) w/2Gb RAM

BIOSTAR P4M800-M7 Motherboard

nVidia Gforce 6200 256Mb AGP

DATA:Western Digital 200Gb SATA

CD :Lite-on IDE DL-DVD-RW drive

I'm running voodoo kernel with a boot.plist in EFI partition. My question is: Do I need DSDT? because I noticed a lot of error messages during boot that I never saw before. If somebody can help me with this I would appreciate it .

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I am running into a problem during Phase II, Step 4 --- whenever I try to use the fdisk command line, I am always getting a permission denied error. 'fdisk' by itself executes (brings up options), but whenever I add rdisk0 to the line, it's always permission denied. Even using 'sudo' doesn't fix the problem. Any ideas that could help me get past this?

Info -- Asus P6T Deluxe V2 MB, hard drive is single partitioned (GUID), installed retail 10.5.1.

Thanks in advance.

Great Guide,

i got it running on Lenovo T61 :P with vanilla kernel and 10.5.8 upgrade.

I used a boot-132 CD for Dell e520 to boot my notebook. After Reading this Guide i installed the bootloader and unzipped the mkext from Dell e520 to the EFI/Extensions Folder.

Boot realy fast now, WLAN Working with a T61 compatible Atheros Card.

T61 with C2D, X3100, GM965 Chipset and SSD

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

HI!

Very nice guide!!! Brilliant! I have a fully working vanilla install :) Just some different kernels + extensions in EFI/Extensions. Updates are done as a peace of cake, with absolutely no worries!

But, as usual something must be wrong :) I can only boot the disk from the Boot123 CD. Then booting, from an EFI partition - no go. [Censored]

No matter what I write to prompt (tried bt(0,0)/kernel_name rd=disk2s2, hd(1,2)/kernel_name rd=disk2s2 and many other options). It just doesn't boot or boots to the vanilla kernel (fallowed by an instant reboot; my system isn't vanilla-ready).

Some deeper exploration showed that the boot loader just ignores the EFI partition or simply doesn't know of such. Every time it boots, it is looking for the kernel and com.boot.plist in its own partition (instead of an EFI partition). Therefore adding a com.boot.plist to EFI partition doesn't change anything - just the same booting from it's own partition.

If I change anything in a com.boot.plist located on the system partition, it responses to that flags (e.g. -v, -f and so on). Any kernel related flags does nothing, which is obvious, cos' patched kernels are located in EFI partition.

So I assumed that I did something wrong, and skipped some important steps. Checked and rechecked everything. Repeated the guide's steps 10 times. An EFI partition is OK. Everything is in place and with correct permissions. It is set as bootable. It is unmounted properly and not mounted outomataicaly. Disk check reports no errors. But still nothing!

Then as a matter of precaution I've formatted and erased the disk several times. No go!! Then erased the disk with zerroing it twice. No files could survived that. No go!!![censored]

After that I've disconnected the second disk with OS X installed, so the vanilla install disk be the only one GUID disk in the system (it could have some influence). Now what?! No go!

I don't' know what else could be wrong (my karma maybe :) )

Some info on that nasty disk:

IDE (via USB enclosure) 37Gb total capacity

GPT (GUID) part. table

An EFI partition (HFS+)

A system partition (HFS+)

An old school method with writing EFi_v8 to a system partition worked perfectly with the "not vanilla" install. But this method is not compatible with the GUIDE I gues.

Any ideas? :)