nForce LAN driver

eno

740 posts in this topic

hey eno, everythings working fine as far as the network goes..

but after about an hour the mouse/keyboard locks up, using iDeneb 10.5.5, upgraded to the Voodoo XNU 9.5.0 kernel, still crashing though..

tried with both MSI and the NoMSI, still crashes, any other ideas?

MCP 51

but after about an hour the mouse/keyboard locks up, using iDeneb 10.5.5, upgraded to the Voodoo XNU 9.5.0 kernel, still crashing though..

maybe a mbuf bug

try this in terminal

copy a large file using the network

while copying type in terminal a few times (10 will do it)

netstat -m

save to a text file and post it here

eno,

i notice you use crc validion in outputpacked()

is it necessary for this hardware (lan) or it can be changed for speed performance?

i decided what the hell, and installed the iPC 10.5.6, i have 6 hour uptime, with no lockup yet, I won't be sure until I get atleast 24 hours with no lockup, hoping nothing goes wrong from here

maybe a mbuf bug

try this in terminal

copy a large file using the network

while copying type in terminal a few times (10 will do it)

netstat -m

save to a text file and post it here

eno,

i notice you use crc validion in outputpacked()

is it necessary for this hardware (lan) or it can be changed for speed performance?

No checksum is calculated by outputPacket. The code you are referring to offloads the checksum to the hardware. Anyway, the code is plenty fast at this point (can get 995 Mbits/sec with 3% cpu).

my internet doesnt work, i tried forceLan 0.62.12 and i still cant get the internet to work, i removeed forcedeth.kext and nForceEthernetController.kext and installed voodoo and still nothing. osx 10.5.5 works fine i just cant get my internet ti work :(

my computer:

M2N4-SLI dual core

geforce 7600

I need more details before I can figure out what the problem is. Does your network card show up at all? Does your card work if you set its IP address manually? If you adapter has link lights do they come on when you plug in the network cable?

Also, can you change the log level of the driver to at least 1 (LogLevel in the Info.plist) and post the output of the driver (any lines in /var/log/system.log that start with nForceLAN).

Hi,

I am using this driver for my n680i LT SLI onboard ethernet card, and it's working only under cpus=1 mode.

The system log says nForceLAN: found nVidia MCP55 Ethernet Controller device 10de:0373 with flags 0x000935ff.

Without cpus=1, the system freezes at random points.

I have n680i LT SLI motherboard, Q6600 CPU and the OS X is installed on a SATA HDD.

The hackintosh I am using is iDeneb 1.3 OS X 10.5.5 upgraded to 10.5.6 using Mac's Software Update.

EDIT: during installation of OS, I chose AppleForceATA chipset, and 9.4.0 stage XNU kernel.

Could anybody help?

Hi,

I am using this driver for my n680i LT SLI onboard ethernet card, and it's working only under cpus=1 mode.

The system log says nForceLAN: found nVidia MCP55 Ethernet Controller device 10de:0373 with flags 0x000935ff.

Without cpus=1, the system freezes at random points.

I have n680i LT SLI motherboard, Q6600 CPU and the OS X is installed on a SATA HDD.

The hackintosh I am using is iDeneb 1.3 OS X 10.5.5 upgraded to 10.5.6 using Mac's Software Update.

EDIT: during installation of OS, I chose AppleForceATA chipset, and 9.4.0 stage XNU kernel.

Could anybody help?

What version of nForceLAN are you using? Have you tried installing the Voodoo XNU kernel? How much memory do you have (AppleNForceATA has the problems you describe with > 2 GB of memory).

Also, some people have reported problems with using nForceLAN with iDeneb. I have not been able to determine what the problem is at this point but I do not see it under either kalyway or iPC.

What version of nForceLAN are you using? Have you tried installing the Voodoo XNU kernel? How much memory do you have (AppleNForceATA has the problems you describe with > 2 GB of memory).

Also, some people have reported problems with using nForceLAN with iDeneb. I have not been able to determine what the problem is at this point but I do not see it under either kalyway or iPC.

I am using the latest one, 0.62.12n. Voodoo XNU isn't included in iDeneb so I have never tried it. There are only two kernels that would fit my system: 9.4.0 Stage XNU and 9.2.2 SSE3. With 9.2.2 SSE3, the OS doesn't even boot. I have 2GB of memory.

Update: I just did a clean reinstallation of iDeneb and installed 0.62.12n kext right away unlike previous installations where I had tried installing and uninstalling several other ethernet kexts before this one. Now, it doesn't freeze with 4 cores enabled, but the internet is not working at all.

The log file says nForceLAN has found an ethernet card, got a MAC address and stuff. Also says like connected at 10 Mbps (I don't remember the exact words). But the LED indicator on my router isn't even on and ifconfig gives no ip address.

UPDATE: Nevermind it all. I got it to work. All I had to do was go to System Preferences -> Network and check out that "New ethernet card is detected" message and click Apply. How dumb of me! Internet is working fine with 4 cores running. Internet download speed test gave me 9500 kbps, which is the max I can get with my internet plan. So far it hasn't crashed yet. Don't know if it will crash eventually but before the reinstallation, it always crashed within 10 minutes and now I have been on for about 20 minutes or so and all is good. Hope it stays safe overnight then I will be to say safely that it's all running fine.

Hey eno,

I've been having some problems as described in this thread here ->http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1086856. After trying everything possible, I've been retracing the steps I had performed after installing osx and came to the nforce driver. I removed it and my problem with itunes disappeared. I reinstalled the 0.62.8 version that came with iPC 10.5.6 and iTunes was still working correctly. The version I had installed while iTunes was acting up was the 0.62.12n version. I have no idea why, but iTunes will not function correctly when having that driver version installed.

@eno

I have loaded the latest package (0.62.12n) you have for download. My problem is when I transfer very big files across my network. It stops halfway and then loses the connection. I then have to reboot to get it back. I also lose my usb keyboard and mouse sometimes after this happens. I have to shutdown hard and most times either the mouse won't work or the keyboard won't, it likes to alternate...so I have to reboot 3 times to get the network and usb functioning again.

My system specs:

Dell XPS 630i

Intel Core 2 Q9550 2.83Ghz

4GB DDR2 SDRAM 800Mhz (had to set the maxmem=3060)

(2) 750GB Sata 3.0gb 16mb cache

nVidia GeForce 9800 GT 512mb

ALC888 audio

Integrated Lan nForce MCP51 lan card (10de:0269)

I loaded iPC 10.5.6 with the Voodoo 9.5.0 Kernel (also the seatbelt kext) and the AppleNForceATA Test chipset. I tried slashack's nForceATA kext to be able to use the full 4g of ram but I kept experiencing kernel panics so I modified the boot.plist and added the maxmem=3060. I haven't experience any kernel panics since doing that. The network card is the only thing holding me back from having a really good sytem config. I appreciate any suggestions to get this working. Thank you for your time.

I have an error which has not come up yet. I have searched and cannot seem to find an answer!

When I load this nForceLAN.kext (any version) I get an error during boot stating nForceLAN asked for com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily 1.6.1 when 1.6.0 is loaded.

I have the correct version running on my stock Mac. Where is this file located so I can replace?

Also, I have tried different kernels, versions of the nForceLAN and swapped for nForce Ethernet Driver without any change. The error is always the same. Wrong version of the com file loaded.

Help!

I just wanted to drop in to let you know that the latest kext (0.62.12n) now works beautifully on my machine. I no longer have dropped connections and can transfer large files to and from the machine. See sig for details.

Will report if I run into problems, but I have been running solid for a week.

Thanks!

I have an error which has not come up yet. I have searched and cannot seem to find an answer!

When I load this nForceLAN.kext (any version) I get an error during boot stating nForceLAN asked for com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily 1.6.1 when 1.6.0 is loaded.

I have the correct version running on my stock Mac. Where is this file located so I can replace?

Also, I have tried different kernels, versions of the nForceLAN and swapped for nForce Ethernet Driver without any change. The error is always the same. Wrong version of the com file loaded.

Help!

Strange. nForceLAN is linked against the 10.4u SDK so it shouldn't be complaining about IONetworkingFamily even if it is older than 1.6.0. What version of the OS are you running? Are you using a modified version of IONetworkingFamily?

Strange. nForceLAN is linked against the 10.4u SDK so it shouldn't be complaining about IONetworkingFamily even if it is older than 1.6.0. What version of the OS are you running? Are you using a modified version of IONetworkingFamily?

I am using 10.5.6, from the iPC install disk. I am reloading the OS again... One other note, when I replaced the IONetworkingFamily.kext from /System/Library/Extensions with the version from my stock Mac the error changed to resource not available or something like that. I installed the replacement file by hand, and then tried some of the helper tools off the disc.

Thanks for the help!

i keep getting "self-assigned ip" when downloading files. can i change anything in info.plist to fix this? because i see

<key>CrossoverDetection</key>
<true/>
<key>DisableMSI</key>
<false/>
<key>DisableTimerIRQ</key>
<false/>
<key>LogLevel</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>LowPowerSpeed</key>
<true/>
<key>OptimizationMode</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>RXRingSize</key>
<integer>512</integer>
<key>TXRingSize</key>
<integer>1024</integer>

what does these do?

i keep getting "self-assigned ip" when downloading files. can i change anything in info.plist to fix this? because i see

<key>CrossoverDetection</key>
<true/>
<key>DisableMSI</key>
<false/>
<key>DisableTimerIRQ</key>
<false/>
<key>LogLevel</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>LowPowerSpeed</key>
<true/>
<key>OptimizationMode</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>RXRingSize</key>
<integer>512</integer>
<key>TXRingSize</key>
<integer>1024</integer>

what does these do?

What device/motherboard do you have? What kernel version? Distribution?

I am using 10.5.6, from the iPC install disk. I am reloading the OS again... One other note, when I replaced the IONetworkingFamily.kext from /System/Library/Extensions with the version from my stock Mac the error changed to resource not available or something like that. I installed the replacement file by hand, and then tried some of the helper tools off the disc.

Thanks for the help!

What is the exact output of kextload -v 3 ?

hi guys. i dont know why but this driver doesnt work for me. i installed 0.62.12n successfully (thats what my osx said) and did the reboot. but I cant use the lan. there isnt any reaction if I plug in the cable. if i use the "assist me..." button i cant select one of the methods. i only can use the preselected method "I use a telephone modem to dial my ISP."

i use a "MCP51 Ethernet Controller", the NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI SPP Chipset and ipc 10.5.6. i hope you can help me.

thx in advance

edit: i just looked into the system log and found this line "loacalhost kextd[25]: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLAN.kext

i dont know if thats interesting but better then saying nothing about it :happymac:

hi guys. i dont know why but this driver doesnt work for me. i installed 0.62.12n successfully (thats what my osx said) and did the reboot. but I cant use the lan. there isnt any reaction if I plug in the cable. if i use the "assist me..." button i cant select one of the methods. i only can use the preselected method "I use a telephone modem to dial my ISP."

i use a "MCP51 Ethernet Controller", the NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI SPP Chipset and ipc 10.5.6. i hope you can help me.

thx in advance

edit: i just looked into the system log and found this line "loacalhost kextd[25]: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLAN.kext

i dont know if thats interesting but better then saying nothing about it :P

That would be the problem. What error do you get when you load the module by hand (use sudo kextload -v 2 /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLAN.kext)?

for my lan it's 0x037310de which is in the supported device list

Weird. The MCP55 is probably the single most tested device (I have had several 1+MB/sec torrents running at once with mine without it dropping-- but I am using a Voodoo XNU kernel instead of vanilla). I wonder if another component of your systems is causing the network to drop. Do you see anything unusual in the system log when the network goes down?

Edit: j o e l, you could try and see if disabling the timer interrupt helps (set DisableTimerIRQ to true). Your NIC shouldn't have any trouble running without the timer.