nForce LAN driver

eno

740 posts in this topic

FYI: I was having a lot of kernel panics and I thought it might be related to the HPET or MSI signaling. Unfortunately, having the normal mac kernel panic provides*NO* information at all!!! :P I downloaded the latest voodoo xnu kernel and was happy to see actual debug information during a kernel panic! Appears my problems are not with the nForce driver at all but with the nForce ATA!

After some searching it appears some ATA drivers may have a RAM >2.5GB problem. I took out a stick to go down to 2GB and for the first time I got up in the morning without a kernel panic on the screen.

So, for those with nForce LAN on board, you probably have nForce ATA too...so beware!

C

MSI p7n Diamond on Q6600 Quad Core Intel

780i (North) & 570i (South) SLI Chipset

4GB RAM

MCP55 Series nForce LAN

nForce ATA

@Colin MacKenzie: Can you please check if it still does some abnormal things after a few hours and maybe torrent running while HPET is enabled? If so, then I'm having a problem with 2GB of RAM and this nForce ATA kext, too, not with the nForce LAN.

FYI: I was having a lot of kernel panics and I thought it might be related to the HPET or MSI signaling. Unfortunately, having the normal mac kernel panic provides*NO* information at all!!! :censored2: I downloaded the latest voodoo xnu kernel and was happy to see actual debug information during a kernel panic! Appears my problems are not with the nForce driver at all but with the nForce ATA!

After some searching it appears some ATA drivers may have a RAM >2.5GB problem. I took out a stick to go down to 2GB and for the first time I got up in the morning without a kernel panic on the screen.

So, for those with nForce LAN on board, you probably have nForce ATA too...so beware!

C

MSI p7n Diamond on Q6600 Quad Core Intel

780i (North) & 570i (South) SLI Chipset

4GB RAM

MCP55 Series nForce LAN

nForce ATA

Use slashack's AppleNForceATA......for nForce chipset MOBOs see my Series 7nForce thread...... :censored2:

Hi, I've been following this thread for a few days now, on the 2nd or 3rd page some body mentioned about adding some id like 0x026910de to info.plist. My question is that do we still have to add this id in the latest kext available on first page i.e. 0.62.8n. If your answer is yes, can you pls tell me how can i find it for my card and in which field of info.plist do i have to enter this value. My system specifications are PC OSX86 10.5.6 (Voodoo 9.5.5), MoBo ASUS P5N-E SLi, Intel Quad Core @ 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR2 Ram, 500 GB SATA HDD, nVidia GeForce 8600GT 1GB Graphics Adaptor. Yes, I can see my ethernet card but can not access internet (i tried 60 sec power cut method as well).

I Have a Nforce 520 LE on Gigabyte motherboard witch AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 4800+

on KALYWAY 10.5.2 but its still dont working for me...I mean osx dont even find my ethernet/lan port

i tried forcedeth and forcedeth nockd,but no results...

so i need HELP

Last thing Everest tels me that is a NForce610

my @ is md47@windowslive.com

post-349026-1231110773_thumb.jpg

post-349026-1231111219_thumb.jpg

I Have a Nforce 520 LE on Gigabyte motherboard witch AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 4800+

on KALYWAY 10.5.2 but its still dont working for me...I mean osx dont even find my ethernet/lan port

i tried forcedeth and forcedeth nockd,but no results...

so i need HELP

Last thing Everest tels me that is a NForce610

my @ is md47@windowslive.com

Trash forcedeth and use nForceLAN

i know))) but i cant find extensions.kext here (((( i lost hope....

They are referring to the extension cache which is located at /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

@Colin MacKenzie: Can you please check if it still does some abnormal things after a few hours and maybe torrent running while HPET is enabled? If so, then I'm having a problem with 2GB of RAM and this nForce ATA kext, too, not with the nForce LAN.

Interesting. Can you try the nForce ATA driver verdant posted a link to above?

They are referring to the extension cache which is located at /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

try remove that kext? and install nForceLan.kext? ok i try....

i will try, but problem the same))) My problem not decide? and why Voodoo kernel dont install on my PC? :)

Eno, I have a problem with the 0.62.8n version, the second I load it my system turns into a 386 :)

Don´t know why but every stupid task eates the whole cpu, but I get no kp and the console is clean. I thought it was the new voodoo kernel made by andy but it´s not (tested with regular voodoo too), so I´m using the 0.62.7n version right now and it´s pretty damned stable.

Any idea?

My system:

AMD athlon 64 3000+

1.5Gb DDR

Asus a8n-sli (nforce4 sli)

Interesting. Can you try the nForce ATA driver verdant posted a link to above?

After a while, USB gone, and I could see the following messages in Console (so exactly the same like with the nForceATA kext I've had before):

nForceLAN: NIC ring full, stalling.

disk1s4 data underrun (My comment: maybe it's the Data partition, where torrent was running.)

(My comment: yes, an empty line, then it is repeated...)

-- The last message repeated 1 time --

(If they are not exactly correct, I was just unable to remember the messages perfectly. :))

Id Install NforceLan(anyway KEXT) using kext helper b7 reboot and i get panic message...

So i install KALYWAY 10.5.2 again and still trying to get HELP

Also installed this (Trash)Forcedeth,nocdk witch no smile on my face,but a forcedeth_0.3_leopard have half worked...

i gets message that the ethernet was faund and tels my to configure it but mouse and keyboard freeze,only way restart but then it dont find my ethernet.I send to all of you a image it may be useful...

thenks by the way...

post-349026-1231180047_thumb.jpg

Hey Matthew L..

I totally have the same problem. If you look in the previous pages I was saying that. The thing is it knocks out my switch along with disabling USB and ethernet. SO I have to unplug it and plug it back in (the switch) after a restart. I'm stuck using my win 7 beta for now but if you think of anything.

I too am using the nforceATA that came with the iDeneb 10.5.5 installation (I saw Verdant's post about Slashack's version of nForceATA but I'm debating it - worried about potential issues if I screw that up) - IF i do it, and I won't be able to boot - how do you boot so you can remove that version and put the old one back?

Hey UnderOath, what did u use to upgrade to 10.5.6? I have iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 and I want to upgrade (hopefully solve my nforceLan issues too) but I can't find a "How to upgrade" anywhere?

What did you use?

Actually that question goes out to anyone.... how to upgrade from 10.5.5 to .6 with iDeneb 10.5.5 installed

Hey UnderOath, what did u use to upgrade to 10.5.6? I have iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 and I want to upgrade (hopefully solve my nforceLan issues too) but I can't find a "How to upgrade" anywhere?

What did you use?

Actually that question goes out to anyone.... how to upgrade from 10.5.5 to .6 with iDeneb 10.5.5 installed

Hi))) I upgrade through Upgrade with icon AMD in iDeneb in Programs!!! And i mark "Modified " that such. After Install i have some problems with PS/2 keyboard and with Sound... But i Install kext, and all worked good))) Sorry for my English))

P.S. Sorry, i forgot to tell you, i use the any Network card Realtek 8139 for Download upgrade , after my internal network was working good!!! Thanks!!

Hey Matthew L..

I totally have the same problem. If you look in the previous pages I was saying that. The thing is it knocks out my switch along with disabling USB and ethernet. SO I have to unplug it and plug it back in (the switch) after a restart. I'm stuck using my win 7 beta for now but if you think of anything.

I too am using the nforceATA that came with the iDeneb 10.5.5 installation (I saw Verdant's post about Slashack's version of nForceATA but I'm debating it - worried about potential issues if I screw that up) - IF i do it, and I won't be able to boot - how do you boot so you can remove that version and put the old one back?

Hmm... Really strange, that it can disable your switch, I've never experienced anything like this.

About the kext change: the thing you should do everytime you modify a kext is to backup the one you are going to change.

Plan A: Boot in single user mode (-s at boot), and restore your backup kext. (But you can't use this method in your case, because to mount your OS X drive, you need a working controller kext.)

Plan B: Boot your install DVD, and use terminal to restore your backup kext.

Plan C: Restore a Time Machine backup using your install DVD.

Plan D (if you ever would let Windows get write access your HFS+ partitions): Use TransMac to restore your backup kext.

Plan E (this thing can be useful at any time, even if some software makes your OS X unusable, you can still use the clone as an emergency system): create an other partition (resize the current ones), and clone your current working OS X install to the freshly created partition. This way, if things go totally wrong, boot your backup partition (that you've just cloned), then you can replace the kext.

But wait for an expert's comment to prove my ways to do it, I may be wrong.

Hi, I've been following this thread for a few days now, on the 2nd or 3rd page some body mentioned about adding some id like 0x026910de to info.plist. My question is that do we still have to add this id in the latest kext available on first page i.e. 0.62.8n. If your answer is yes, can you pls tell me how can i find it for my card and in which field of info.plist do i have to enter this value. My system specifications are PC OSX86 10.5.6 (Voodoo 9.5.5), MoBo ASUS P5N-E SLi, Intel Quad Core @ 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR2 Ram, 500 GB SATA HDD, nVidia GeForce 8600GT 1GB Graphics Adaptor. Yes, I can see my ethernet card but can not access internet (i tried 60 sec power cut method as well).

I have the very same issue and I remain puzzled regarding a solution. I tried the 60-second reset method as well with no luck. My ethernet card is visible to the OS and it can see my network, but for some reason I can't access the internet.

Version: Mac OS X v10.5.6

Distro: iPC w/ PP2 patch

Kernel: Voodoo 9.5.5

Notes: added Slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext

System Info:

Processor: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz

Mainboard: Asus P5N-D SLI 750i

Other: 4GB DDR2-800, 320GB HD (SATA), LiteOn DVD-RW (IDE), GeForce 7100GS 256MB

With the NForceEthernet.kext included in the iPC installer, I get full speed network transfer and reliable internet service for about 4 hours at a time. Once the network connection quits, the rest of the system becomes unstable. Unfortunately, with the NForceEthernet kext I receive a kernel panic everytime I try to access the internet without the cpus=1 boot flag set.

I'd like to offer a quick word of thanks to Eno, as well as other OSX86 scene contributors, and not to forget the InsanelyMac forum staff. Your hard work is very much appreciated! After months of lurking, this is the first time I've ever had the need to post a question, simply due to the shear volume of information contained here. Truly amazing!

Best regards,

Tyler

*FIXED*

Throughout the installation and setup process, I've been connected directly to my cable modem (only because I thought it might limit the number sources for possible trouble). Adding my router into the loop instantly solved the connection issue and a correct local IP was assigned instantly. At the moment, everything works! (I've really been dying to say that.)

Eno, you are the man!

Do you have a PayPal donation link?

I have had some very partial success with this driver (v.27) see http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=145217

However I find the NIC dies under two circumstances:

a) I start a heavy torrrent

:thumbsup_anim: I connect to my WHS server at home

All connectivity just vanishes, guaranteed everytime.

I tried v28 but that doesnt even detect the cable is plugged in.

I have had some very partial success with this driver (v.27) see http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=145217

However I find the NIC dies under two circumstances:

a) I start a heavy torrrent

:P I connect to my WHS server at home

All connectivity just vanishes, guaranteed everytime.

I tried v28 but that doesnt even detect the cable is plugged in.

I really need to buy a nForce 7xx series board and see if I can find where the problem is...

Anyway, have you tried updating to 10.5.6. The update contains platform support (more or less) for nForce chipsets.

Eno, I have a problem with the 0.62.8n version, the second I load it my system turns into a 386 :)

Don´t know why but every stupid task eates the whole cpu, but I get no kp and the console is clean. I thought it was the new voodoo kernel made by andy but it´s not (tested with regular voodoo too), so I´m using the 0.62.7n version right now and it´s pretty damned stable.

Any idea?

My system:

AMD athlon 64 3000+

1.5Gb DDR

Asus a8n-sli (nforce4 sli)

Thanks for the input. It appears that matching against any network or bus pci device using the plist (for some reason my ethernet comes up as a bus device) causes problems on some machines. In the next update I will just add every pci id to the Info.plist. To verify this can you try 0.62.8n again but change the IOPCIPrimaryMatch in the Info.plist to match your NIC (remove the 0x000010de&0x0000ffff match).

Thanks Eno I will try (the kernel upgrade).

You should really get a donations address so we can help.... pocket change from a few people would be enough to buy one for you :)

Cool. Let me know if it fixes your problem.

BTW, added a donation link to the first post :P. I always appreciate help.