nForce LAN driver

eno

740 posts in this topic

12 version works fine about 5 minutes - I will to test it whole night.

eno, for kernel StageXNU 9.4.0 on AMD I have wrote in com.apple.Boot.plist boot setting: idlehalt=0 - only with this parameter your drivers works without freezes.

Voodoo XNU might fix it so you don't need to use idlehalt=0. I recommend updating to at least 10.5.5 before trying the Voodoo kernel.

How do I do that?? I don't use logs a lot... I know that it's in the Console but where? I'll send it as soon as I can!

The log level is set in the Info.plist inside the nForceLAN kext. You can find the output in /var/log/system.log. Send me every line beginning with nForceLAN:

The log level is set in the Info.plist inside the nForceLAN kext. You can find the output in /var/log/system.log. Send me every line beginning with nForceLAN:

Ok! From what I understand, I change the log level to 2 in Info.plist and then send you the system.log(Well everything starting with nForceLan)??? I'll send it as soon as I can( Probably only in 5 hours)!!! Thanks!

Hey Eno, over night a set a download of 2 gb and it crapped out at some point after 1.2gb downloaded. I mean this is fine for now - I don't download too much so I am able to stay online all day doing basic web browsing and streaming.

Thanks. Just wanted to let you know that it still happened but at very high 1.2Mb/s downloading.

How's it working for you?

Hey Eno, over night a set a download of 2 gb and it crapped out at some point after 1.2gb downloaded. I mean this is fine for now - I don't download too much so I am able to stay online all day doing basic web browsing and streaming.

Thanks. Just wanted to let you know that it still happened but at very high 1.2Mb/s downloading.

How's it working for you?

Did the connection die at your switch this time or was the connectivity only interrupted at the computer which was running the torrent?

In my tests I have been able to sustain, with no connection loss, transfers up to 90 MB/sec on my MBP. The test uses netcat to open a single tcp connection and try to send/receive data as fast as possible. I chose this test to minimize the affects of other components (disk maxes out around 30 MiB/sec) from slowing the transfer rate.

The test commands are listed for those interested. On one computer (192.168.20.2) directly connected to my test machine I type:

nc -l 1234 > /dev/null

On the test machine I run:

dd if=/dev/zero bs=9000 count=50000 | nc 192.168.20.2 1234

I cranked up the block count and found the connection remained stable. It is possible that by using multiple connections bittorrent may trigger a bug that causes the network drop. It is also possible that my test did not fully stress the receive engine. I am not sure where the bug might be but I will keep an eye out for it.

Update:

I just finished stress tested the tx/rx engines using 5 simultaneous netcat connections between my two machines both of which use nForceLAN 0.62.12. Over each connection I transfered about 3.4 GiB from /dev/zero. Each transfer finished in about 145.6 seconds and used 24.7 MB/sec of bandwidth. This gives a total bandwidth of 123 MB/sec or 992 Mb/sec (99% of the maximum). The network remained up for the entirety of the test.

Let me know if the problem appears with some regularity or if it is just a transient issue.

I've been experiencing some problems that appear to be somehow related to the nForce driver. World of Warcraft will crash every 2 hours or so and sometimes every 15 minutes. Rebooting doesn't help. I've uninstalled the driver and used my realtek wireless and have yet to have any crashes over the last 2 days.

When these crashes occur there doesn't appear to be any sort of connection loss. I've had crashes happen while running torrents and the torrents are download/uploading without interruption. I've had crashes without torrents running as well to see if that was causing the problem.

I don't believe I saw anything of significance in the syslog.

I've tried disabling msi and setting the optimization mode to cpu. Is there anything else I can try? This is with 0.62.11n.

I've been experiencing some problems that appear to be somehow related to the nForce driver. World of Warcraft will crash every 2 hours or so and sometimes every 15 minutes. Rebooting doesn't help. I've uninstalled the driver and used my realtek wireless and have yet to have any crashes over the last 2 days.

When these crashes occur there doesn't appear to be any sort of connection loss. I've had crashes happen while running torrents and the torrents are download/uploading without interruption. I've had crashes without torrents running as well to see if that was causing the problem.

I don't believe I saw anything of significance in the syslog.

I've tried disabling msi and setting the optimization mode to cpu. Is there anything else I can try? This is with 0.62.11n.

Try 0.62.12. The connection drop fix might fix your WoW problem as well.

Hi, I have a strange problem with my internet connection and the nforce driver...

I currently have the "nforce 0.62.6n" driver installed and my internet connection is sometimes working, more specific:

Right now my internet connection is working properly, I'm able to reboot the computer without any trouble with the internet connection..

BUT, If I shutdown the computer (over the night), then when I start my computer again in the morning I've got no internet connection, just "cable not plugged in".

And then, if I boot into to Vista once and then boot into osx my internet connection works properly again...

SO, Every morning when I want to use osx I have to boot into Vista once before I boot into osx in order to get the internet to work..

Anyone have a suggestion what could be my problem and perhaps a solution for it??

Here follows my hardware configuration and what drivers I use..

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9500 @ 2.2GHz

MB: Asus M2N68-LA, Narra3

Chipset: Nvidia nForce 430

RAM: 3GB DDR II SDRAM 667 MHz PC2-5300

HDD: 2 x 500 GB, Serial ATA-300

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512 MB

Onboard LAN: PCI Realtek RTL8201N

Audio: Onboard Realtek, ALC888S

Drivers:

AMD Patch

kernel 9.4.0 stage XNU

AppleNForceATA Test

NVInject 0.2.1 512MB

nforce 0.62.6n

ALC888

Sorry for bad english or poor problem/config description, but I gladly add any neccesary info in order for someone to give me a tip on how to solve this..

//Jonas

You should upgrade to 0.62.12 (lots of bug fixes) but it probably will not fix your problem. forcedeth (nForceLAN) is a reverse engineered driver and it doesn't properly init all hardware.

If 0.62.12 does not fix your problem we might be able to figure out which registers need to be set. Let me know if (1. 0.62.12 doesn't fix it, and 2. you want to help).

Hi, I have a strange problem with my internet connection and the nforce driver...

I currently have the "nforce 0.62.6n" driver installed and my internet connection is sometimes working, more specific:

Right now my internet connection is working properly, I'm able to reboot the computer without any trouble with the internet connection..

BUT, If I shutdown the computer (over the night), then when I start my computer again in the morning I've got no internet connection, just "cable not plugged in".

And then, if I boot into to Vista once and then boot into osx my internet connection works properly again...

SO, Every morning when I want to use osx I have to boot into Vista once before I boot into osx in order to get the internet to work..

Anyone have a suggestion what could be my problem and perhaps a solution for it??

Here follows my hardware configuration and what drivers I use..

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9500 @ 2.2GHz

MB: Asus M2N68-LA, Narra3

Chipset: Nvidia nForce 430

RAM: 3GB DDR II SDRAM 667 MHz PC2-5300

HDD: 2 x 500 GB, Serial ATA-300

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512 MB

Onboard LAN: PCI Realtek RTL8201N

Audio: Onboard Realtek, ALC888S

Drivers:

AMD Patch

kernel 9.4.0 stage XNU

AppleNForceATA Test

NVInject 0.2.1 512MB

nforce 0.62.6n

ALC888

Sorry for bad english or poor problem/config description, but I gladly add any neccesary info in order for someone to give me a tip on how to solve this..

//Jonas

Hi eno,

I've installed the 0.62.12n driver now and so far it works properly. but as I tried to describe in my last post my problem only seems to occur when my computer has been shutdown for a longer time.

So I will report back tomorrow and let you know if my problem is still there..

Thanks for your help.

Hi eno,

I've installed the 0.62.12n driver now and so far it works properly. but as I tried to describe in my last post my problem only seems to occur when my computer has been shutdown for a longer time.

So I will report back tomorrow and let you know if my problem is still there..

Thanks for your help.

It will only take 30 seconds for the device's registers to loose their values if you unplug the machine and remove the ethernet cable.

Okay, that's good to know, so do not have to wait over the night each time.

Anyway, this time I did and It's the first time my ethernet is working direktly on startup, your .12n driver seem to have fixed my problem!

Well I can't say for sure yet though, but I will try to test it some more and I will post back if I encounter any problems..

Thanks for your help eno.

Hi.

On my asus M2N-e SLI my system crash with this kext. (device id 0x0057)

I have tried all versions of kexkt but I have the same proplem.

Any idea?

Haven't had any reports success/failure on a CK804 until now. Hopefully we can find out what the problem is.

Can you send me the crash report?

What distribution are you using? kernel version? Have you tried installing 0.62.12 using the pkg?

Edit: Huh, the original post has disappeared

Thanks a ton for this. Lets me use my onboard gig-e instead of a spotty Netgear GA311 PCI adapter that keeps dropping. Here's hoping that it stays solid without drops.

I have a Marvell Alaska 88E1116 on a Gigabyte GA-N650SLI-DS4 and the only thing I had to do was assign a manual IP address instead of DHCP. Working great. Thank you so much. Just saved me some coin on a new adapter.

nForceLAN is a recent development which used planetbeing's nForce4 0.3c driver as a framework to port the forcedeth 0.61 driver from linux 2.6.28 to OS X. nForceLAN should support all of the network adapters supported by the forcedeth 0.61 driver (listed below) and is a replacement for both forcedeth.kext and nForceEthernetController.kext. Please remove all installed versions of forcedeth.kext and nForceEthernetController.kext from your system if you are manually installing nForceLAN (not using the pkg). It is recommended, but not required, that all users upgrade to at least 10.5.5 (preferably 10.5.6) and AMD users should install the Voodoo XNU kernel.

Please post comments in this thread on how well this works (or doesn't work for that matter) for various configurations.

The source code for this driver is released under the GPL.

The original nForce4 driver is posted here: nForce4 LAN driver

Features:

- Support for nForce NICs from the nForce1 to the MCP79.

- Sleep/wake functionality.

- Supports message signalled interrupts (MSI), line interrupts (Legacy), and multiple MSI interrupts.

- Supports manual selection of the network medium and max transfer unit (MTU).

- Supports hardware VLAN tagging.

Supported PCI ids:

0x01c310de, 0x006610de, 0x00d610de, 0x008610de, 0x008c10de, 0x00e610de, 0x00df10de,

0x005610de, 0x005710de, 0x003710de, 0x003810de, 0x026810de, 0x026910de, 0x037210de,

0x037310de, 0x03e510de, 0x03e610de, 0x03ee10de, 0x03ef10de, 0x045010de, 0x045110de,

0x045210de, 0x045310de, 0x054c10de, 0x054d10de, 0x054e10de, 0x054f10de, 0x07dc10de,

0x07dd10de, 0x07de10de, 0x07df10de, 0x076010de, 0x076110de, 0x076210de, 0x076310de,

0x0ab010de, 0x0ab110de, 0x0ab210de, 0x0ab310de

Recent updates:

- [0.62.7n beta_osx]Added Message Signaled Interrupt (MSI) support (this should fix various problems including the incompatibility with the HPET on some machines). Added vlan tag support. Various bug fixes (including dropped internet on the MCP55).

- [0.62.8n]Fixed matching problems (I think). Code cleanup and release.

- [0.62.9n]Major bug fixes and dumped in-code only matching for now.

- [0.62.10n]Updated code to reflect some changes in 2.6.29 patch. No longer opening the legacy interrupt when MSI is enabled (tested with MCP79 and MCP55). Fixed a potential kernel panic.

- [0.62.11n]Added support for multiple interrupts when using optimization mode 0. Some bug fixes.

- [0.62.12n]Fixed connection drop problem. Fixed single interrupt code.

Feel free to donate to this project using this paypal link.

enjoy!

-Nate

Kernel extension:

0.62.12n

0.62.12n

Source:

0.62.12 (source)

Older versions:

0.62.6n

0.62.7n

0.62.8n

0.62.10n

0.62.11n

my internet doesnt work, i tried forceLan 0.62.12 and i still cant get the internet to work, i removeed forcedeth.kext and nForceEthernetController.kext and installed voodoo and still nothing. osx 10.5.5 works fine i just cant get my internet ti work :D

my computer:

M2N4-SLI dual core

geforce 7600