nForce LAN driver

eno

740 posts in this topic

if i use sudo kextload -v 2 /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLan.kext thats the result:

xxx-ms-7350:~ xxx$ sudo kextload -v 2 /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLan.kext

Password:

extension /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLan.kext has potential problems:

Warnings

{

"Kext has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style" = true

}

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLan.kext appears to be loadable

kextload: loading extension /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLan.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext/Unsupported: Undefined in symbol set: _sha1_hardware_hook

kextload: loaded version 2.4.1 of module com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily differs from requested version 2.5

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLan.kext

link/load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLan.kext

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

xxx-ms-7350:~ xxx$

if i use sudo kextload -v 2 /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLan.kext thats the result:

xxx-ms-7350:~ xxx$ sudo kextload -v 2 /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLan.kext

Password:

extension /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLan.kext has potential problems:

Warnings

{

"Kext has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style" = true

}

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLan.kext appears to be loadable

kextload: loading extension /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLan.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext/Unsupported: Undefined in symbol set: _sha1_hardware_hook

kextload: loaded version 2.4.1 of module com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily differs from requested version 2.5

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLan.kext

link/load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLan.kext

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

xxx-ms-7350:~ xxx$

@ DiNozo

Its strange that it is looking for a dependancy that is not in the Info.plist but I cleaned up the dependancies in 0.62.13 to see if that fixes the problem. Please give it a try and let me know if it works.

@ Everyone else

Please give the new version (0.62.13) and let me know if there are any problems.

tried disabling the timer but did not help. does it have anything to do with my router?

Possibly. Could you turn up the log level to 3 and let me know if anything shows up in /var/log/system.log when the network drops?

I have an Abit KN8SLI (nForce 4 chipset) with AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (S939).

I tried Forcedeth (not working) and forcedeth-V (chrashed when downloading large files),

but THIS DRIVER IS OK ! Fully working (at least with manual settings, didn't try DHCP) without cpus=1.

Thanks !

nForceLAN is a recent development which used planetbeing's nForce4 0.3c driver as a framework to port the forcedeth 0.61 driver from linux 2.6.28 to OS X. nForceLAN should support all of the network adapters supported by the forcedeth 0.61 driver (listed below) and is a replacement for both forcedeth.kext and nForceEthernetController.kext. Please remove all installed versions of forcedeth.kext and nForceEthernetController.kext from your system if you are manually installing nForceLAN (not using the pkg). It is recommended, but not required, that all users upgrade to at least 10.5.5 (preferably 10.5.6) and AMD users should install the Voodoo XNU kernel.

Please post comments in this thread on how well this works (or doesn't work for that matter) for various configurations.

The source code for this driver is released under the GPL.

The original nForce4 driver is posted here: nForce4 LAN driver

Features:

- Support for nForce NICs from the nForce1 to the MCP79.

- Sleep/wake functionality.

- Supports message signalled interrupts (MSI), line interrupts (Legacy), and multiple MSI interrupts.

- Supports manual selection of the network medium and max transfer unit (MTU).

- Supports hardware VLAN tagging.

Supported PCI ids:

0x01c310de, 0x006610de, 0x00d610de, 0x008610de, 0x008c10de, 0x00e610de, 0x00df10de,

0x005610de, 0x005710de, 0x003710de, 0x003810de, 0x026810de, 0x026910de, 0x037210de,

0x037310de, 0x03e510de, 0x03e610de, 0x03ee10de, 0x03ef10de, 0x045010de, 0x045110de,

0x045210de, 0x045310de, 0x054c10de, 0x054d10de, 0x054e10de, 0x054f10de, 0x07dc10de,

0x07dd10de, 0x07de10de, 0x07df10de, 0x076010de, 0x076110de, 0x076210de, 0x076310de,

0x0ab010de, 0x0ab110de, 0x0ab210de, 0x0ab310de

Recent updates:

- [0.62.7n beta_osx]Added Message Signaled Interrupt (MSI) support (this should fix various problems including the incompatibility with the HPET on some machines). Added vlan tag support. Various bug fixes (including dropped internet on the MCP55).

- [0.62.8n]Fixed matching problems (I think). Code cleanup and release.

- [0.62.9n]Major bug fixes and dumped in-code only matching for now.

- [0.62.10n]Updated code to reflect some changes in 2.6.29 patch. No longer opening the legacy interrupt when MSI is enabled (tested with MCP79 and MCP55). Fixed a potential kernel panic.

- [0.62.11n]Added support for multiple interrupts when using optimization mode 0. Some bug fixes.

- [0.62.12n]Fixed connection drop problem. Fixed single interrupt code.

- [0.62.13n]Code/dependency cleanup. Moved link timer to separate event source (testing). Invalid MAC is replaced by a pseudo-random number instead of a random one (should fix any iTunes issues).

Feel free to donate to this project using this paypal link.

enjoy!

-Nate

Kernel extension:

0.62.13n (test)

0.62.13n (test)

Source:

0.62.13n (test) nForceLANSrc_0.62.13.zip

Older versions:

0.62.12n

0.62.12n

0.62.12 (source)

0.62.6n

0.62.7n

0.62.8n

0.62.10n

0.62.11n

This actually works! Hahaha.. Worked with my RTL8201CL on 10.5.3

I think it's the one on the top that worked with my lan card, just installed it using kext helper.

Now that I have the kext I will never delete it from my USB drive! And all the other kext that I downloaded here! Lol...

:wallbash:

I posted the log on the previous page. Any way to fix it?

I can't say I have seen that error before. Can you compile 0.62.13 in debug mode and run with log level 2? If not I will build a debug version for you.

Hi all,

I have a general question - not specifically related to this particular driver.

I have an ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus Motherboard nForce 680 sli - and I am experiencing a lot of problems with both the onboard ethernet ports.

Connection works fine on browsing or very low usage - however, whenever I try to download files which are larger than 10MB and smaller than 100MB approx. I receive an error message asking me to hold the power button and switch off the PC.

Can someone please help!? I keep receiving this message over and over on both nForce and even my RealTek 8169 LAN driver.

So I am starting to think this may not necessarily be related to only my LAN ports.

Feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Geoffrey

Fantastic! works with asus P5NE SLI

Thanks!

Can you please let me know how you actually did that!? Which driver did you choose at installation stage and also - what kernel, etc... did you pick as your main selection! Thanks.

Fantastic! works with asus P5NE SLI

Thanks!

i'm usung the same mobo and yes it works but not fully :C in my case only with "cpus=1" flag otherwise my mouse freezes. Which OSx86 are you using ? I'm using iPC 10.5.6 Final. Network works well with "cpus=1" no chrashes, freezes , etc. With both cores enabled my mouse freezes. I'm using Voodoo Kernel 9.5.0. Have you changed any options in bios or something?

hey eno.. i need your help to debug a problem

while i have your kext loaded, i can't read/write any fairly large amount of data, if im moving a 2-3 gig file from one partition to another, or even from a usb device, the OS locks up... or say if i force a recheck of data on a torrent thats pretty decent in size, OS locks up aswell.. I can produce a lockup at any time, and it only happens while the nforcelan is loaded, so I know thats whats causing the issue

i've tried booting with debug=0x100, and debug=0x144, doesnt show anything on lockup

i usually always have a 'tail -f /var/log/system.log' running in a terminal, and don't see anything out of the ordinary when it locks up, how do I go about loading up the kext so it displays additional debug output?

I seem to have a problem that many people seem to have already fixed, yet I have no idea why I still have it. I have the kext installed and the ethernet works fine, but my computer will always crash a short period of time after use. I used the pkg on the first page labeled:

0.62.13n (test) nForceLAN_0.62.13.pkg.zip

Everything seemed to install fine, and I can use the my onboard ethernet, but will subsequently crash anytime anywhere between 10 minutes and an hour of doing ANYTHING in Leopard, regardless of internet use. I'm not quite sure what's wrong. I tried using the one attached at the bottom of the first post, but I have no idea how to install that one. Any help would be appreciated.

alright... just for fun, i downloaded the original forcedeth 0.2 (not 0.3), copied the device id's from eno's kext, and pasted into forcedeth.. network is up, and i couldn't make osx crash in the same ways i was making it crash before.

dont know how stable it will be, will post back..

eno, any idea why your nforcelan could be causing lockups?

Just wanted to add, when I say crash in my case, I don't mean Kernel Panic, I just mean a complete lock up of the computer. I looked up the system log, but I didn't see anything wrong.

EDIT: Some additional information, the controller on my board is MCP51 LAN Controller.

EDIT: Also, is Ethernet supposed to be detected if I remove the nForceLAN kext? Because it's being detected, but it's detected as just not being plugged in.

@lushen124

same problem, also with MCP 51

try the original forcedeth kext, copy/paste the device ids from nforcelan into forcedeth.

only thing i had to do was change the MTU to 1000, and I disabled IPv6, to try and stop the "NIC ring full, stalling", hasnt come back since i made those changes

also i havent been able to make osx lockup with forcedeth, i can do it at will with nforcelan, any kind of fairly large data read/write is what does it for me.

Well, as people have said before, I used a temporary fix by booting with cpus=1. I also reinstalled Mac OS X without any network drivers just to make sure there were no conflicts with other existing kexts, but it still crashes on me if I don't use cpus=1.

I do suspect that this might be a problem with the OS X compatibility with my system than it is a problem with the nForceLAN kext. I remember it working very well when I first test installed Leopard a few months ago. I forget if I installed by selecting the cpus=1 patch or not that time, but I didn't have a problem. It wasn't until this second install where the problems started to creep up. Reason for skepticism coming from the fact that my computer crashes randomly even without the kext installed.

Hi, i have a bit of a problem, i have asus crosshair MB, and unfortunetly it uses

Dual Gigabit LAN controllers support NVIDIA DualNet® technology

NVIDIA nForce® 590 SLI™ MCP built-in dual Gigabit MAC with external Marvell PHY

lan card. The problem is it wont work with any nforce drivers i tried. forcedeath V and forcedeath nforce4 drivers just don't see the cable plugged in, and nvidia driver just panics voodoo kernel if i use internet. i'm not sure if i used the latest version, so if someone can point me to them i'd be very thankful. If anyone has any other suggestions it would be really nice too. sorry for such questions, but i'm really a noob at this, so any help is welcome.

Hi, i have a bit of a problem, i have asus crosshair MB, and unfortunetly it uses

Dual Gigabit LAN controllers support NVIDIA DualNet® technology

NVIDIA nForce® 590 SLI™ MCP built-in dual Gigabit MAC with external Marvell PHY

lan card. The problem is it wont work with any nforce drivers i tried. forcedeath V and forcedeath nforce4 drivers just don't see the cable plugged in, and nvidia driver just panics voodoo kernel if i use internet. i'm not sure if i used the latest version, so if someone can point me to them i'd be very thankful. If anyone has any other suggestions it would be really nice too. sorry for such questions, but i'm really a noob at this, so any help is welcome.

Try installing nForceLAN_0.62.13.pkg. The package will remove all other nForce LAN drivers (forcedeth, nForceEthernet).

alright... just for fun, i downloaded the original forcedeth 0.2 (not 0.3), copied the device id's from eno's kext, and pasted into forcedeth.. network is up, and i couldn't make osx crash in the same ways i was making it crash before.

dont know how stable it will be, will post back..

eno, any idea why your nforcelan could be causing lockups?

Its unlikely that nForceLAN is the cause of the lockup. What distribution are you using? How much memory do you have? What version of AppleNForceATA are you using?

the problem seem to go away when i use cpus=1. i am using vanilla kernel with dsdt patch

What distribution are you using?